As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Rogue One, starring Manuel J. Bothans, A [Star Wars] Story

• Carson VendettaCarson Vendetta Registered User regular
    I think I watched one other red letter review and i wrote it off as part of my past that I'd never revisit. Cinefix is the only review YouTube I can watch. I like that they can have more than 'greatest/worst' opinions on things.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    While Plinkett is what got them where they are at this point it feels like a weight tied to them that they feel obligated to keep attached. I don't think i'm going to watch this one.

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    While Plinkett is what got them where they are at this point it feels like a weight tied to them that they feel obligated to keep attached. I don't think i'm going to watch this one.

Yeah, same. There are plenty of other respectable places to get diverse thoughts and reviews about movies that don't necessitate the use of a slur.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Especially because I already know what they think about it because I watched their Half in the Bag for The Force Awakens. That's the entire point of their videos for me. The analysis. The Plinkett character is just what I had to suffer through for the prequels. Now they have more features where it's just them and that's all I want.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    At minute 47 Plinkett had yet to begin discussing TFA, and I closed YouTube.

I guess you really can't go home again.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    one wonders if he saved all this maundering and navel-gazing for the one that he knew would get a big audience.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I mean, it's not a review of the movie. They already did that on Half in the bag. It's a larger analysis of the state of "Star Wars", and is even pretty speculative about where things might go from here.

Which is navel gazing, and in general the whole "Mr. Plinkette" bit has always made me pretty uncomfortable, but as an exercise in sort of evaluating the "larger forces at work" there, I think it's interesting and mostly well done, if somewhat rudderless.

Edit: I totally listened to it while doing morning chores and getting ready for work though, I imagine just trying to actually watch the whole thing would have been pretty tedious.

sarukun on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    I would totally contest the idea that no kids actually liked the prequels.

Most of the students in my comics class seemed to like them quite a bit. And I would go a step further and say the reason you see more OT toys is because it's predominantly adults buying them. The prequel stuff is in plenty of video games right? Which is (in my totally anecdotal experience) probably a bit more indicative of what younger folks are into.

Ya there's an entire generation that loves those prequels, we just gotta deal with it.

Tho I still hurt deep inside when I remember being told by a kid

" I love Star Wars, I'll have to see the old ones someday"

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I was 13 when episode 3 came out and i remember loving the prequels

Lalabox on
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    The prequels were not as bad as everyone makes them out to be.

Mostly because the OT is considered flawless thanks to rose tinted glasses.

Don't get me wrong, the OT is better by a significant margin but the amount of vitriol heaped on the prequels is just sad

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    I watched the prequels recently, and i actually kinda like the ideas that the prequels (lightly) touched on.

Like, that the senate was corrupt, that the empire arose out of fear and apathy, and that the order of the jedi were completely unable to deal with politics.

It's just that they aren't good to watch. The characters are flat, and all the good ideas are only hinted at, and have to be spelled out in the supplementary material.

I like the idea of a messy space politics thriller that criticises the jedi, but it's just not good

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    I mean, it's not a review of the movie. They already did that on Half in the bag. It's a larger analysis of the state of "Star Wars", and is even pretty speculative about where things might go from here.

Which is navel gazing, and in general the whole "Mr. Plinkette" bit has always made me pretty uncomfortable, but as an exercise in sort of evaluating the "larger forces at work" there, I think it's interesting and mostly well done, if somewhat rudderless.

Edit: I totally listened to it while doing morning chores and getting ready for work though, I imagine just trying to actually watch the whole thing would have been pretty tedious.

It would be interesting if all that navel-gazing had anything at all unique.

But a lot of it boiled down to "DISNEY BAD! HOLLYWOOD BAD! REBOOTS BAD (except when the movie doesn't emulate the original in the ways I want it to)!"

Wow, okay, cool. Definitely never heard those arguments a thousand times already.

IKknkhU.gif
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »

Yeah, same. There are plenty of other respectable places to get diverse thoughts and reviews about movies that don't necessitate the use of a slur.

RLM have always been sort of up their own asses in terms of comedy--they really only care about making each other laugh, and since they're all straight white dudes from Wisconsin, well... given the occasional shock humor bits they get into on Best of the Worst I wasn't surprised, just disappointed

That being said I always took Plinkett as the sort of self-deprecating admission of guilt, like "this is the sort of person who would make a ninety minute written and edited video detailing why The Phantom Menace was a bad film"

But it's been so long that it's divorced itself from that original context and Plinkett himself has grown even more obviously into just being a mouthpiece for Mike and RLM as a whole so the bit, if it ever played at all, is totally dead

I still think they have interesting things to say about movies! Just not this movie. And they could really stand to get outside their bubble a bit

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    Also I was ten when I saw Episode 1 at a midnight showing and I disliked it even then

I remember that because I walked out going "well it's obviously too smart for me, I'll grow to appreciate it as I get older"

That was a real thought I had at ten years old leaving the theater

And then Episode 2 happened and I had the exact same thought leaving THAT theater and it was shortly after I saw it again on DVD that I realized "holy shit these movies are terrible"

signature-deffo.jpg
    Stilts wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »

It would be interesting if all that navel-gazing had anything at all unique.

But a lot of it boiled down to "DISNEY BAD! HOLLYWOOD BAD! REBOOTS BAD (except when the movie doesn't emulate the original in the ways I want it to)!"

Wow, okay, cool. Definitely never heard those arguments a thousand times already.

I guess? I dunno how up to date they are on "the buzz" or whatever mostly because I'm not up to date on it, but if they're not immersed in it, then I wouldn't really expect them to know they were beaten to the punch.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    They work in internet film criticism, if they don't know what the common talking points are, they are not good at their jobs

6F32U1X.png
    Fair point.

Mr. G wrote: »
    They work in internet film criticism, if they don't know what the common talking points are, they are not good at their jobs

I don't think that's necessarily true at all

And these videos probably bring in a lot of people who don't watch a lot of other internet film criticism videos anyway

signature-deffo.jpg
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Also I was ten when I saw Episode 1 at a midnight showing and I disliked it even then

I remember that because I walked out going "well it's obviously too smart for me, I'll grow to appreciate it as I get older"

That was a real thought I had at ten years old leaving the theater

And then Episode 2 happened and I had the exact same thought leaving THAT theater and it was shortly after I saw it again on DVD that I realized "holy shit these movies are terrible"

Haha, that was pretty much my reaction to playing Final Fantasy VIII (my first foray into the series) around 14-years-old.

I can identify with this experience so much and I think they actually have more in common than I originally realized.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Kids like the prequels but it appears to me to be something you grow out of. Episode 3 came out when I was 16 and I enjoyed every one as they came out but they don't hold up and the kids I interact with who said they loved the prequels a few years ago now don't seem to.

Kids are less discerning then their adult selves surprising no one.

Quire.jpg
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Stoklasa himself has at one point spoken disparagingly of the Plinkett character - and he said that the reviews don't get as many hits as their other stuff (Plinkett is also Stoklasa alone as far as I know)

This is the first proper Plinkett review in years, I think he's also mostly done with the character and bringing him back is kinda its own sort of fan service, I don't know much awareness of that shines through in the video

Platy on
  • LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    I remember walking out of Episode 1 just a month shy of my 14th birthday and thinking it was pretty OK.

I think my only problem with it at the time was that the age difference between Anakin and Padme kinda weirded me out.

I don't really remember how I immediately felt about episodes 2 and 3, though.

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I agree with the review that it is actually odd that there is no hint of romance when the movie otherwise follows the A New Hope beat by beat

Although I think that could also have to do with the fact that people's perceptions of the Luke/Leia/Han love triangle are mostly colored by the later revelation/retcon that Leia is Luke's sister and thus it becomes transformed into something which is either downplayed or which Disney might not want to copy

Platy on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Now the video made me remember they are not only doing a Solo/Fett movie but a Obi Won one as well
    I think this is a bad idea as TFA showed just refrencing the Lore of Star Wars and working with it makes the movie Rogue One I am curious if it does this as well
    But I really do think they should avoid doing those spin off one shot movies with Solo/Fett and Obi Won

• MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Not enough people talking about the new season of Rebels in here.

IT'S PRETTY GOOD Y'ALL

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    I loved the prequels
    I still love them
    I like the star war

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Muggins wrote: »

IT'S PRETTY GOOD Y'ALL

Rebels S03E02
    I am intrigued to see how Maul plans to further ruin Obi Wan's existence, cause that's totally what he's gonna go do.

And Thrawn, give me more Thrawn!

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Matev wrote: »

IT'S PRETTY GOOD Y'ALL

Rebels S03E02
    I am intrigued to see how Maul plans to further ruin Obi Wan's existence, cause that's totally what he's gonna go do.

Was it Obi Won or his brother he said HE lives to?

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2016

And these videos probably bring in a lot of people who don't watch a lot of other internet film criticism videos anyway

Right here

I've tried watching other film criticism videos and just...yeah no thanks, for the most part

But the prequel reviews are incredible

I haven't watched this one yet, about to right now

If it sucks, eh, happens with lots of things, but I recently watched the Episode I review and still find it pretty amazing

I haven't watched any other RLM stuff either, and honestly not even a Plinkett review is enough to sell me always (I liked his Titanic one, didn't bother watching any of his other ones because I don't really care about Star Trek or Indiana Jones)

UnbreakableVow on
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Now the video made me remember they are not only doing a Solo/Fett movie but a Obi Won one as well
    I think this is a bad idea as TFA showed just refrencing the Lore of Star Wars and working with it makes the movie Rogue One I am curious if it does this as well
    But I really do think they should avoid doing those spin off one shot movies with Solo/Fett and Obi Won

They have not announced an Obi-Wan movie

There is Rogue One and there is the Han Solo movie, that's all that's announced

6F32U1X.png
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Matev wrote: »

IT'S PRETTY GOOD Y'ALL

Rebels S03E02

Was it Obi Won or his brother he said HE lives to?
    Must be Obi-wan, since Savage didn't make it. Unless he did? But Obi-wan seems like the better answer.

So far I have not enjoyed S3 of Rebels as much as S2. I appreciate that they are going for a larger arc of connected episodes, but I felt S3Ep2 was all setup for a boring reveal(because we the viewers already knew the answer they got).

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

They had fucking better announce an Obi-Wan movie at some point though.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• PeenPeen Registered User regular

I haven't watched any other RLM stuff either, and honestly not even a Plinkett review is enough to sell me always (I liked his Titanic one, didn't bother watching any of his other ones because I don't really care about Star Trek or Indiana Jones)

You owe it to yourself to watch at least one Wheel of the Worst.

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular

They had fucking better announce an Obi-Wan movie at some point though.

I really wish that they weren't doing the Han Solo movie.

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    all three prequels are great, I dunno what you guys are talking about

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The Plinkett review was not a "State of Star Wars" thing. It was the RLM guys taking on bizarre topics like half-baked fan theory on the Lucas hexalogy, the sudden uptick in "Actually the prequels are good" articles, and just more prequel talk in general. It was meandering, full of jokes that went on way too long, and added almost jack shit to the greater discussion about the movies. If they wanted to address rebuttals, be they direct or indirect, to the original Plinkett reviews, that could have been its own video. Also, the whole thing just feels super masturbatory, like they're taking a nearly hour-long wank at the popularity of the original reviews as if RLM was the Original Internet Critic Interspersed With Mediocre Skits. Speaking of which, the jokes were awful. Turns out we've grown up some in the past ten years and no, acknowledging that you made a racist joke doesn't suddenly make the racist joke any more funny or any less racist.

Yes, they already did a TFA review, but Plinkett is supposed to be a super in-depth look at the film. But when the review itself is about as long as the hitb review I guess there really is no point to a Plinkett review, and they were just doing it out of some expectation from their audience.

YL9WnCY.png
    The whole video just felt like an obligation, rather than anything inspired

6F32U1X.png
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    The whole video just felt like an obligation, rather than anything inspired

Bingo. I don't think they really wanted to do it.

Re: Obi Wan, I think it's just rumours based on the fact that Ewan Macgregor reportedly said he'd be happy to do it.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    The fact that I 100% believed there was an Obi-Wan film and Boba Fett film when watching that Plinkett video does kinda say something about the state of the franchise though

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    The fact that I 100% believed there was an Obi-Wan film and Boba Fett film when watching that Plinkett video does kinda say something about the state of the franchise though

What does it say exactly?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

This discussion has been closed.