As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Rogue One, starring Manuel J. Bothans, A [Star Wars] Story

19495969798100»

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    That they've poised themselves to blow the franchise open with a bunch of meaningless filler

I mean, they've kinda already started, in my opinion

Rogue One may be the first Star Wars

Wait a minute

I was about to say Rogue One may be the first Star Wars film I don't even bother seeing in theaters (if at all) but then I remembered that the Clone Wars movie hit theaters

But Rogue One, that's a story we all know the resolution of. Will it feed into the main story of the franchise in terms of pushing it forward? What about the Han Solo prequel? Will any of that matter towards Episodes VIII and IX? I'm basically looking at the "Stories" films already in the same way I look at Netflix series in terms of the MCU - they don't matter in the big picture, so why would I watch them?

I mean I get it - you spent $3 billion, by all means, capitalize and get your money back. Just as a viewer, it means I have to get used to the idea that not every new Star Wars movie is gonna be something I care about

It is a minor inconvenience at worst

UnbreakableVow on
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I watch them because they might tell an interesting story? Why do they have to matter for the main story line?

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    That they've poised themselves to blow the franchise open with a bunch of meaningless filler

I mean, they've kinda already started, in my opinion

Rogue One may be the first Star Wars

Wait a minute

I was about to say Rogue One may be the first Star Wars film I don't even bother seeing in theaters (if at all) but then I remembered that the Clone Wars movie hit theaters

But Rogue One, that's a story we all know the resolution of. Will it feed into the main story of the franchise in terms of pushing it forward? What about the Han Solo prequel? Will any of that matter towards Episodes VIII and IX? I'm basically looking at the "Stories" films already in the same way I look at Netflix series in terms of the MCU - they don't matter in the big picture, so why would I watch them?

I mean I get it - you spent $3 billion, by all means, capitalize and get your money back. Just as a viewer, it means I have to get used to the idea that not every new Star Wars movie is gonna be something I care about

It is a minor inconvenience at worst

Because they are awesome entertaining stories?

That's like saying you don't want to watch Saving Private Ryan because you already know the Nazis lose the war.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
    That's not enough for me personally, and that's kind of the whole danger of doing a big shared universe thing

If you're gonna reap the rewards of having this huge established backstory that's set up in other films/media, you better push that story forward in some ways. You can't have your cake and eat it too

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I think the spin offs would be better not tying into the main story.

OR featuring character's we've already seen. But that's a pipe dream.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Frasier really doesn't move forward the story of cheers very well.

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    peraonally, I always thought RLM stuff in general and Plinkett in particular was just like IRL Comic Book Guy stuff so I never like people spouting it off like it was gospel.

Sure, the prequels sucked for various reasons, no need to make your own film trilogy hammering that point home.

As to Rogue One, sure we know the end. The visuals look dope though and I want to see what A Star Wars take on the Dirty Dozen looks like. Who cares that we know the ending? So long as it's a good story and they do a good job telling it, they can have my money.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    We do not know how Rogue One ends, because we don't know what happens to these characters

6F32U1X.png
    They deliver the Death Star plans

and the First Order will lose by the end of this trilogy

there's still a lot more to a story than accomplishing the goal

6F32U1X.png
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

Or do they fail and then Kyle Katarn does it?

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    That's not enough for me personally, and that's kind of the whole danger of doing a big shared universe thing

If you're gonna reap the rewards of having this huge established backstory that's set up in other films/media, you better push that story forward in some ways. You can't have your cake and eat it too

That's not having your cake and eating it too. Stories are in no way obligated to push a specific single agenda and sometimes the best stories in a serialized product are ones that have no real impact on the overarching plot. Like, if you're not interested in those that's fair, but they're not doing anything wrong by telling stories within the established timeline at all.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

I disagree

That's why I think Fly is the only bad episode of Breaking Bad even though it's a critical darling

It is meaninglessly spinning wheels

• LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    For me, the anthology/side movies are the most exciting part of this whole new Disney-Star Wars deal.

It seems like there are just so many possible stories they could tell.

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
    I disagree

That's why I think Fly is the only bad episode of Breaking Bad even though it's a critical darling

It has a lot of meaning actually. It's cool if you don't like it, but that meaning still exists, even if you don't enjoy it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    The main story of star wars isn't as interesting to me generally as the world building/star wars universe. So I'm excited about R1 and other stuff, even if I think a Han Solo movie is a dumb idea because that's what Episode IV was.

can you feel the struggle within?
    Yeah the Han Solo film just seems like a straight bad idea to me. Granted I don't make money off these movies.

aGPmIBD.jpg
    Ladai wrote: »
    For me, the anthology/side movies are the most exciting part of this whole new Disney-Star Wars deal.

It seems like there are just so many possible stories they could tell.

Give me a series of web shorts about the daily lives of some low-level employees on the first Death Star. 9-to-5ers on one of the most absurd superweapons ever built.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Gustav wrote: »
    Yeah the Han Solo film just seems like a straight bad idea to me. Granted I don't make money off these movies.

Is this where we break out the old chestnut that all Phil Lord & Chris Miller do is make bad ideas into great finished products

Those guys make good movies and Alden Ehrenreich is great casting, so I am currently optimistic

6F32U1X.png
    Unfortunately I don't like Lord and Miller very much.

aGPmIBD.jpg
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Gustav wrote: »

Is this where we break out the old chestnut that all Phil Lord & Chris Miller do is make bad ideas into great finished products

Disagree

edited October 2016
    I'm not automatically against the idea of a "Young Han Solo" movie, but I think it's something that would be very easy to fuck up.

Edit: However, I am totally and completely on board with an "Obi-Wan's Space Western/Tatooine Adventures" movie.

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
    I'd sacrifice both Rogue One and the Han Solo movie for an Obi-Wan movie because McGregor's Obi-Wan is probably the best thing about the prequels and I'd love that guy to get a chance to play that character in a really good movie with well-written dialog, an interesting plot, and good supporting characters.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Star Wars sucks (Star Wars suck?)

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I'd sacrifice both Rogue One and the Han Solo movie for an Obi-Wan movie because McGregor's Obi-Wan is probably the best thing about the prequels and I'd love that guy to get a chance to play that character in a really good movie with well-written dialog, an interesting plot, and good supporting characters.

Just give me my Obi-Wan space western please, it's all I want.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    edited October 2016

I also think Obi-Wan is one of the few characters that has natural room to explore. Like we've seen Han Solo from basically beginning to end. He's had his arc and what not. There's not a lot of new info to gleam there.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Mr. G wrote: »
    We do not know how Rogue One ends, because we don't know what happens to these characters
    Well, unless they're bothans

YL9WnCY.png
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I wonder what Star Wars fact is incorrectly recited more: Vader saying "No, I am your father" and not "Luke, I am your father", or having the source of the first Death Star plans being Bothans.

edit: I'm not sure this makes any sense. I hope it does.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    The Saving Private Ryan analogy is really on-point

The Nazis lose. Heck, I'm pretty sure at the beginning of the movie we already know they save Private Ryan. I'm still interested in what happens in it

Though even I have my limits--I aggressively don't give a fuck about a young Han Solo movie because I already know so much of that is gonna be "how did he get his vest, how did he get the Falcon, how did he become a smuggler, how did he meet Jabba, etc." The major fault of something like that is always going to be telling people the details of how he got to where he eventually is, when none of that is important or interesting to his character

If it's "here's a story about an adventure Han Solo had" I guess I might be interested? But it won't be that and we know it

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    With the young Han Solo movie, I could see some kind Cannonball Run type thing with Solo entering the Millennium Falcon in a big race for a big cash prize. Lando would of course be one of the other rival racers.

I'd see that movie.

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    With the young Han Solo movie, I could see some kind Cannonball Run type thing with Solo entering the Millennium Falcon in a big race for a big cash prize. Lando would of course be one of the other rival racers.

I'd see that movie.

I'll fuckin' see anything that is "Cannonball Run but in space"

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    Basically I don't think the problem with a Han Solo movie is so much the physical stakes of whether he lives or dies. Like those don't exist in MOST big budget movies.

The problem is that there isn't much room for emotional stakes either.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited October 2016
    I disagree

Yeah I'm with you on this one.

Edit: fly, not rogue one

Tube on
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

I'd see that movie.

I'll fuckin' see anything that is "Cannonball Run but in space"

now THIS is podracing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sonTXTZqE-Q

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I would love it if Han Solo turns out to be Han and Lando do a Job and That's It Really but it's a Fun Time.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    Rogue One is full of mystery

Will Darth Vader end up chopping a rebel in half? Just go for the cheeky strangle?

Who even knows

(The mix of new spectacle and different view points makes the story movies exciting prospects - If done well they should make the world larger and do interesting things while the main movies focus on being rock solid, slightly predictable blockbusters).

Nazis losing is a bad analogy

That's the bigger picture of that film, the backdrop. It's not the goal. Saving Private Ryan isn't about winning the war against the Nazis, it's about the extraction of one man, and no, they don't let you know exactly how it ended up at the beginning of the film

If I had known the end result of that particular company of soldiers and their success regarding the extraction of Ryan, yes, it would've made it less compelling to watch

Taking down the Empire is not going to be the "goal" of Rogue One, or if it is, it's one we know that they fail. The goal is the much smaller-scale delivery of plans, a very specific thing that we've known for nearly 40 years that they succeed in doing

I wonder what Star Wars fact is incorrectly recited more: Vader saying "No, I am your father" and not "Luke, I am your father", or having the source of the first Death Star plans being Bothans.

edit: I'm not sure this makes any sense. I hope it does.

That first thing isn't so much an incorrect quote as it is intentional paraphrasing because sometimes in order for a single out-of-context quote to parse well, you have to tweak it slightly because it no longer has the rest of the surrounding material to inform it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

This discussion has been closed.