As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Reality II: This Time, It's Virtual, and on consoles!

191011121315»

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Jeff "VRIronStomach" Gerstmann is now nauseous after like 15 minutes of PSVR use.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Richard from Digital Foundry said he used it for 12 hours straight with no issues though

Still

This is all kinda making me wanna hold off for now

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    After how badly GB set up their rift I don't have huge faith in them not having fucked it up

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    This is super bumming me out.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    After how badly GB set up their rift I don't have huge faith in them not having fucked it up

What did they fuck up with the Rift setup?

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

Too many people are reporting the same problems for it to just be user error

At some point, it's still on them if that many people are getting it wrong

6F32U1X.png
    Campy wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »

What did they fuck up with the Rift setup?

They had it adjusted incredibly tightly so that it left an enormous red mark on that one dude's face. It's the worst case of that I've ever seen.

• GSMGSM Registered User regular
    Seems weird. The one I tried at a Best Buy was pretty solid positional tracking. At least as good as the DK2.

We'll get back there someday.
    GSM wrote: »
    Seems weird. The one I tried at a Best Buy was pretty solid positional tracking. At least as good as the DK2.

Yeah, it seemed totally fine when I played it, and I watched people playing it for like an hour and a half on two separate occasions and I didn't see any issues

Buuuuuut they did bring a backdrop that you had to sit in front of, and when the guy forgot to set it up the second time, someone came and chewed him out

6F32U1X.png
    edited October 2016
    Man, if this is a hardware issue and not software, and only SOME of the units have this problem, that sounds like a goddamned nightmare for Sony

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Seeing little wiggling headsets and hands of other people in VR is the best VR stuff.

VR needs PSVR to be really good for it to take off as a platform, which I'm increasingly leaning towards "will not happen"

Honestly the thing I'm most excited for here past launch is Psychonauts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=070QBj-1fFw

The art style has been updated nicely and it looks really cool to look around in

6F32U1X.png
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Jim Sterling's review is positive (albeit rambling).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMOQ7qv6IIw
    He says it's the best VR he's used.

Key points that I remember:
    light, comfortable
    designed with console stlye play in mind (little setup, can be played from couch etc)
    controller tracking not as good as the vive
    uses 6 year old PS move controllers, so battery life on ones currently in styock is spotty, and new ones will be sold for $100 which for 6 year old tech is a bit much
    The need to buy a lot of peripherals gets expensive
    Sony has a track record of abandoning products
    It's a mid-tier headset
    Best VR he's used and the one that has come closest to convincing him about VR (he remains unconvinced).

Gvzbgul on
    Well, Playstation VR is out
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70Ryherc7Is
    Giant Bomb's stream of the other half of the launch lineup starts in about 20 mins

6F32U1X.png
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    but I go to sleep in 16 minutes argh guess I'm staying up

jCyyTSo.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    After playing around with PSVR a bit, I give it a solid B-

Various things that come to mind in no particular order

I spent awhile trying to rearrange my livingroom in such a way that it was still set up mostly the way I wanted but also the Playstation camera would stop bitching at me for being too far away, I only mostly succeeded

I haven't had a huge amount of the tracking wobble so far, though the controllers definitely wobble like crazy, but what I have had is a problem where the tracking drifts over the course of play

While playing Thumper in particular, I'll start looking straight ahead, and within five minutes or so I have to look off to the right to see the gameplay, really weird and frustrating. Apparently it's a problem with Rigs too and it's maybe the biggest thing they need to address ASAP or the games that suffer from it are straight up fucked

It's not the worst thing in the world, but wearing glasses in a VR headset still kind of sucks

It varies from activity to activity, but the resolution can be absolutely brutal at times, eye wateringly awful at its worst

Playing standing activities is good right up until you reach out of view of the camera, or worse you manage to put your hand inbetween your face and the camera and things go real bad for a second

Don't set the "non-vr" screen to small unless you want to destroy your eyes

Holding options to recalibrate is, best as I can tell, a sweet lie

Oh, and the fucking Move controllers won't charge unless they're plugged into a console, tried charging them on every other possible USB outlet available and no luck, literally have a PS3 plugged in on my desk hooked up to nothing for the sole purpose of charging Move controllers now, what the fuck

• KandenKanden Registered User regular
    I've gotten my move controllers to charge by having my PS4 on, connecting them to the PS4 like normal, then just plugging them into any usb. Just leave 'em plugged in while watching Netflix or playing something else

• AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I wonder if some of the PSVR tracking issues could be down to the camera being so light. When I was setting up, I noticed that the tension on the cable kept slightly shifting it. Not much, but that couldn't help. I fixed it in place with some blu tac to stop it and I've been fine apart from a gradual drift, and I only notice that after 10 minutes or so, I'm not seeing any wobble or swaying so far.

Edit: The Move nunchuck works! Finally, the incredibly dumb decision to buy 2 moves and a nunchuck the day they came out is paying off!

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
    What have they done to my beautiful Driveclub? It looks like fucking garbage. I like how it feels to drive (though me brain didn't like it when I crashed at high speed), but this looks like a Dreamcast game. Stuff mostly looks OK when you get up close, but everything else is awful.

I'm glad I got this half price with the DC season pass.

ZD98Zka.png
    All of the games that try to look "realistic" in VR look like trash

Gotta go for the Superhypercube or Rez stylistic look

6F32U1X.png
    OK I do not recommend going over a series of dips and rises at 100mph then spinning out and crashing.

I don't feel motion sick, but I definitely feel something weird even 10 minutes later.

ZD98Zka.png
    I want a VR game that is job simulator style first person but Cook Serve Delicious.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

I want a VR game that is job simulator style first person but Cook Serve Delicious.

L1z7cSd.jpg

overcooked vr where you and three other people actually run around in a virtual kitchen but with actual knives

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

L1z7cSd.jpg

overcooked vr where you and three other people actually run around in a virtual kitchen but with actual knives

When you die in the kitchen, you die in real life

Okay. Now put it on PSVR

edited October 2016
    I've noticed that I feel mostly fine with the headset on, but that it takes me a while to adjust when I take it off. Even just after watching something in theatre mode (I just used it to watch CA Civil War for the first time), adjusting to focusing on things at normal distances again takes me 5 to 10 minutes. It feels like everything is the wrong distance away.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
    While Hulu on the PSVR is neat, I do not think I could ever watch any full thing due to the screen door effect over all of it.

edited October 2016
    Does it keep things on a static screen in front of you, or does it do so if like, say, you turned your head to the right, you wouldn't see the screen anymore?

EDIT: With video I mean

UnbreakableVow on
    Does it keep things on a static screen in front of you, or does it do so if like, say, you turned your head to the right, you wouldn't see the screen anymore?

In the Hulu app it gives you some options for environment. Like a huge tv in a skyscraper living room, or a huge movie theater. In those cases the screen is fixed and you can look around the "room" you are in.

Also in case of the movie theater, the lights dim when the show starts and light from the screen hits the seats around your realistically.

It is neat but that "mesh" over the image makes images quality not good.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The Hulu video looked fucking amazingly terrible to me

Like "something is broken here" terrible

See, to me that's kind of a bummer

I get that VR is mostly about place but I wouldn't really want that extending beyond my games

If I were watching a video I think I'd just prefer "here's a big ass screen directly into your eyes," I don't want to look around a digital empty room

I could look around my own empty room if I wanted that

See, to me that's kind of a bummer

I get that VR is mostly about place but I wouldn't really want that extending beyond my games

If I were watching a video I think I'd just prefer "here's a big ass screen directly into your eyes," I don't want to look around a digital empty room

I could look around my own empty room if I wanted that

There is totally a void option where the screen is just huge and there is nothing else but the blackness of your soul.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Moving your head while receiving zero feedback that your head is moving is generally a one way ticket to motion sickness city

Any time your visually perceived motion doesn't match with your inner ear your brain don't like it

Speed Racer on
    If you play a blu ray on PSVR you are just in a black void with a floating screen. You can turn your head to look at different areas of it or even away from it entirely. I lay on my bed looking straight up and centred it above me. There was definitely a hit in the image quality compared to the regular TV, but it was cool having the screen fill my entire vision.

ZD98Zka.png
    London Heist is rad except for when you want to aim a gun like you might actually aim a gun by raising it in front of your face and then the tracking throws a shitfit

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    So why exactly would there be an image quality drop with videos?

It seems like it'd be the most straight forward thing to do?

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Nerd3 has a review of the PSVR
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J5NMaj2HuU
    He's pretty much the opposite of Jim Sterling. He loves the Vive and dislikes the PSVR.

Main points:
    PSVR is plug and play
    Its comfort has been oversold and it has odd design choices that make it uncomfortable
    The VR looks great, maybe a little more motion blur and less FOV than the Vive but it's hard to notice and he's not certain.
    The tracking is bad. Jim had it too but didn't have a major issue with them but Nerd3 has a big problem with it. Moving his hands in front of his face disrupts the tracking of the headset so his view randomly moves from time to time. He notes that others haven't the same tracking issues, but he hasn't been able to get it working right for him.
    PSVR doesn't have a line showing your boundaries like Vive, which lets you map your room.
    On par with the Vive, aside from the tracking.

Gvzbgul on
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9-ul_kHBEQ

I'm still realy enjoying my Vive.

Over Christmas my girlfriends dad went back to where he was stationed in germany, had to clean tears out of my headset...

I just really wish if I wanted to play superhot and a few other things that I didn't have to give money to facebook/oculus/palmer lucky.

Because hahaha fuck no I am not doing that.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png