As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Transformers- IDW Reboot Zone

• WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    there doesn't happen to be one of those nice graphics but for the collections/volumes/trade paperbacks/whatever they are called? i want to move away from single issues but i am trying to figure out exactly which things are collected into what, and more importantly when i should be looking for the next one and what it will include.

WingedWeasel on
  • RazmaRazma Registered User regular
    I don't think so, there's the visual on the previous page that has current volumes and has some select older ones which I assumed were mentioned due them being the stories that get regular callbacks. Doing a lil search I've come across this list that seems to be made of arcs if not trades, apart from the odd arcs (Last Stand and Autocracy) I don't know much about these.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/IDW_Generation_1_continuity

MTMTE #56
    Started off well with the Red Alert stuff then the whole thing went in a direction which lost me which I'm going to assume is because I only read MTMTE now. When Sentinel showed up out of the blue with very little fanfare I was mightily confused. Also Roberts doesn't write Prowl too well, something was real off about him after reading Sins recently and the Fort Max/Prowl post Garrus-9 meeting was kinda swept aside quickly.

Might go on a break with this arc until we get out of crossover territory if this continues.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    PSA: If you've subscribed to MTMTE on comixology, that won't carry over when the series becomes Lost Light in December.

I really hope that LL isn't too beholden to any weird bullshit that might go on in the "Revolution" crossover garbage that's happening.

Delzhand on
    Delzhand wrote: »
    PSA: If you've subscribed to MTMTE on comixology, that won't carry over when the series becomes Lost Light in December.

I really hope that LL isn't too beholden to any weird bullshit that might go on in the "Revolution" crossover garbage that's happening.

i hope none of the series get too inundated with the crossover. i don't think it will work out that way though.

Not read much into Revolution but from what Iittle I've heard it sounds like it'll be a right mess. I just hope when the rebranding to Lost Light happens they just leave it alone as much as possible. MTMTE is great since it's removed from the usual TF setup and has the freedom to be its own thing and the crossover stuff generally is on the lower end of the quality scale with how clunky it's integrated.

MTMTE #57/Finale
    Kinda dissappointing way to end MTMTE (although I think there's a Revolution crossover issue to come but that's probably not going to be any better). Prowl seems to be now part of the LL cast going forward which could be interesting but Roberts writing of him still seems off. The table flip callback got a chuckle from me.

• Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    For those interested, this weeks Humble Books Bundle contains a ton of Transformers comics (and some G.I.Joe and some other titles).

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    For those interested, this weeks Humble Books Bundle contains a ton of Transformers comics (and some G.I.Joe and some other titles).

Drat, was coming here to post this. So I'll one up you by posting the link.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/transformers-revolution-comic-book-bundle

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    if i remember correctly the humble bundle comics are just pdf's right? i cannot tie it to say my comixology account?

edited October 2016
    PDF, CBZ or Epub.

(edit: and looking at it occassionally a *.mobi, but that format is unavailable for most of it. Only More than Meets the Eye vol 1 and 2 and Robots in Disguise vol 1 and 2)

Dizzy D on
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    PDF, CBZ or Epub.

(edit: and looking at it occassionally a *.mobi, but that format is unavailable for most of it. Only More than Meets the Eye vol 1 and 2 and Robots in Disguise vol 1 and 2)

thanks!

So I have downloaded the whole Bundle, now to figure out in what order to read (I'll assume Mask, GI Joe and Rom are just independent and can be read whenever. I also assume Transformers vs. GI Joe can be read independent).

So I now have:
    Transformers vol 7-9 (but no 1-6)
    Transformers: Combiner Wars
    Transformers: Devastation #1-6 (I assume that's the most recent as these are single issues, but have no basis for this)
    Transformers: Distant Stars
    Transformers: Infiltration
    Transformers: More than Meets the Eye vol 1-9
    Transformers: Robots in Disguise vol 1-6
    Transformers: Windblade

Keep in mind, the last time I read Transformers Simon Furman was writing and Optimus Prime was a Powermaster. (Not completely true, I read a GI Joe vs. Transformers series after that set in WWII because it had great Jae Lee art.)

• MaclayMaclay Insquequo Totus Es Unus Here and ThereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Infiltration/Devastation are older stuff and I think there are some gaps in there (the bundle might fill them later).
    RiD dropped the subtitle so that's vol 1-9
    MtMtE and RiD happen basically at the same time (with maybe the occasional hiccup)
    Here's something semi recent that looks about right for Windblade and CW.
    DS is after Combiner Wars.

Best bet for now is start with MtMtE and RiD. The older books are less good, but if they add Last Stand of the Wreckers to the bundle at some point you should probably read it.

edit: You may or may not be missing the Dark Cybertron crossover in there, depending on how it was collected, I hear many people didn't like that arc anyway, but worth noting.

Maclay on
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Transformers_(IDW_Publishing)#Chronological_Comic_Order

Maybe copy and paste that and highlight the ones you have?

Orogogus on
    Thank you both! Makes things a lot easier. (I think I start at the beginning, usually I keep the best stuff for last)

• 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    Maclay wrote: »
    but if they add Last Stand of the Wreckers to the bundle at some point you should probably read it.

If by "probably read it" you mean "drop everything and read it right now, what the hell is wrong with you, GO," then yeah.

8aVThp6.png
    edited October 2016
    Last Stand of the Wreckers is a must read no matter what other TF series you may or may not get, it's too good to leave alone. The events are referenced in MTMTE as well so there's no reason not to read it like at all.

I posted this a page or two ago but timeline/order of the various books since the start of MTMTE and RiD is shown here and covers most of it which should be a help for most of that bundle.

IDW TF Timeline

Razma on
    edited October 2016
    If anybody is interested. Comixology.com is having a 50% off IDW sale. Enter in IDW during checkout from Oct 14 - 17.

IDW Sale

Edit: Cleaned the post.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Yeah Dizzy D posted it up above.

oosik_betsuni.png
    And for those interested, my quick opinion of it so far:

Transformers: More than Meets the Eye: Pretty great! Ordered Last Stand of the Wreckers because this thread seems to like it a lot.

Transformers: Robots in Disguise, Combiner Wars, Windblade: Not read yet, I'm going alphabetically through the Bundle.

Transformers Devastation: Fine, not great, not terrible, but I miss a lot of context here, while the rest was good to read standalone.

Transformer Infiltration: Good place to start. I like that it starts with Ratchett just like the old Marvel comics and it takes its time before getting the big names like Optimus and Grimlock involved.

Transformer vs. GI Joe: really good, but I already had that one in paper form. After Godland, I'm pretty much sold on anything he does.

And for the non-Transformer stuff:

GI Joe: The Last Laugh was really good. I'm a big Sleeper fan and this was very much like that. Added bonus that you don't need to know anything about GI Joe or Cobra to read it and it keeps its cast small.

Action Man: I like the premise behind the main villain (spoilers to get more into that), but overal not that good.

Rom, Micronauts and Mask and the whole crossover around it: pretty disappointing. Especially Rom which I had good memories off.

Street Fighter X G.I. Joe: I honestly thought it was terrible. Nothing worse than comedy that doesn't click.

Cobra Civil War and the GI Joe things: fine. I enjoyed it, but not enough to get more.

So overall: Worth it, but if you're low on cash, I'd get the 1st and 2nd tier, the 3rd didn't add that much to me (the fourth tier are some cards and will arrive a month or so from now, so I can't judge whether those are worth it).

The nice thing (and funny thing) is that this bundle gives you all of the series for once. I have bought the previous bundles which had the first then second parts of MTMtE and RiD hoping that they would one day release the next in the series. So this bundle only adds a few more that I'm missing but I don't mind repurchasing the others since it is still cheaper than buying them through Comixology on sale. Speaking of that, if you bought the Last Stand of the Wreckers I just bought the Sins of the Wreckers on Comixology since it is on sale. Hoping that it is as good as LSotW.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Ok so I read the Sins of the Wreckers... Man now I understand what you guys were talking about back in July.
    So I need to go read LSotW because I forgot that Springer was in a coma of sorts. The whole thing is a serious mind screw and I had to reread parts of it to have it make sense. My biggest problem is the part where they introduced what I figured was the Pretenders except they seem to have them more like the Beast Wars bots. Also I hated how they killed off Roadbuster... man couldn't they have just left him as he died from the drop? Also so did not see that Springer was actually not a normal Transformer. That did mess me up a bit. Overall not too sure how I liked it compared the the Transformers Universe but I do have to say it was interesting and I couldn't stop reading it once I started.

oosik_betsuni.png
    I decided to go back to picking up trades or other collected editions rather than individual issues because I like that format better. Has anything been announced for any of the transformers series for the recent stuff? Basically anything after dying of the light.

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I'm so confused....after the Megatron/DJD stuff and the Dying of the Light arc, I lost track of both books.

What happened to Combiner Wars? Titan's Return? Optimus annexing Earth? Etc...

IDW's Transformers page is still advertising issue #50...and thier reading list graphic also doesn't help. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough but that site is no help. What's the best resource to find out what I've missed? CBR? Comixology? Wiki?

Edit: OK, digging a little deeper into IDW's site proved a bit more helpful. :)

Steelhawk on
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    MTMTE is over. That storyline is carrying over to Transformers: Lost Light

Ex-RID is moving over to Transformers: Optimus Prime.

Plotwise, very, very little has happened since Dying of the Light/Combiner Wars.

8aVThp6.png
    Ah, Thank you! I see now that I never did finish the Revolution arc....got some catching up to do!

edited December 2016
    I mean, you don't really need to finish Revolution. It's not like anything really happens, or changes anything, or matters, or is good.

The MTMTE tie-in has the Scavengers, though, so maybe if you like them, there's that.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • manjimanji Registered User regular
    the MtMtE tie-in was my comic of the week! so good. anything with the scavengers in is comedy gold.

standard Transformers/ RiD on the other hand has been bad since dark cybertron and revolution has pulled it down even further. just buying it out of habit at this point.

It is disappointing to hear revolution is so bad. I like the post dark Cybertron stuff (on both sides mtmte and ex-rid), but I was concerned about revolution.

it's not terrible. there are just too many moving parts, several of which i'm not that invested in.

Got my storylines confused again. Never finished Titans Returns and the last issue of All Hail Optimus. I'll try and find the trade.

Revolutions seems like a GI Joe crossover? Meh... no thanks.

• HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Does anyone know if Comixology Unlimited have the IDW Transformers series'? And if so what issues they're currently up to?

Nevermind. The website tells you what's on CU.

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
    revolution is transformers/ gi joe/ action man/ mask/ micronauts & rom - spaceknight. as an 80's kid that should push my buttons, but there is no time for anything to breathe with that much in there. also i give zero fucks about the micronauts.

Yup.

Starting fresh after months and months of binge reading....and then months of nothing!

• HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    My Revolution Trading cards came in the mail yesterday. They're pretty cool I guess, but I wish they were all just Transformers ones.

had a bit of a scare though because on the weekend I noticed in hte shipping notice that they were sent to someone else in America, but apparently it was just an admin error.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
    edited January 2017
    I read the mess up on another forum and thought that sucked.

Edit: Wrong thread.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Anyone been reading Lost Light? #2 came out today.

LL #1+2 Thoughts
    The first issue did a good job of setting up the plot threads for the next 'season' similar to how MTMTE #1 did it by throwing out small hints (or big ones in form of visions) throughout.

#2 continued laying out more future story threads with going into the drawbacks of Tailgates OPness, a little more details on Drifts visions, Megatron refusing to fight again and we're finally going into Rungs alt mode and what it does in the next issue it seems. Very interested to see what he does with this, if I mind right it's something the Functionalists fear would threaten their rule but they can't destroy him as that would most likely do that anyway.

The only thing I'm not too excited over is Lug and Anode, I'll see how they develop and fit into the series once they're more fleshed out but they feel like a waste of panels atm.

The new art from Lawrence was kinda off-putting at first but it's starting to grow on me a little bit in the second issue. I do hope Milne gets the more dramatic arcs to draw though.

I've decided to skip Revolutions as I don't care for GI Joe (my 10 year old self hates me right now) and I never knew what ROM is.

But I've also missed out on Titans Return...is it out in Trades yet?