As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Legion: I have sacrificed everything...

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    The problem with the addon broadcasting upgrades goes right back to our discussion on secondary stats mattering so much that ilvl doesnt matter. If all the addon checks is ilvl, then it is a fairly useless metric for judging whether someone actually needs it or not. Also, for a class that has specs of multiple roles, I'm not giving away upgrades for my offspecs that I play often. I have multiple weapons for multiple characters at about 19-20 artifact level, so I like being functional in all of my specs. At the end of the day, I'd rather have one of my tank or healer specs geared than gear up barragehunter-99383472 who I don't ever want to group with again anyway.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    At the end of the day, I'd rather have one of my tank or healer specs geared than gear up barragehunter-99383472 who I don't ever want to group with again anyway.

Which is fine, but still ultimately selfish.

• Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Dac wrote: »
    Tried fiddling with Disc frames for a while, having an annoying time getting them set up. It's been ages since I last did a UI overhaul; I guess I just kind of assumed that you'd have more flexibility now. What I wanted was to surround the healthbars of people with my Atonement with a thin gold band. With Healbot, I could setup a custom debuff and turn the entire bar gold when it's on. Not ideal because there's no countdown/indicator of low duration. If I ditched Healbot and used a combination of SUF and Clique, I could have a solid square show up on a character bar, and it would have the clock fade duration tracking, but be kinda ugly and get in the way.

Would Grid do what I want? Would Vuhdo?

Vuhdo is a solid choice for this. This is basically the exact set-up I use.

Here's some details:
    I use a green border to determine who has atonement on them, but color options are easily changed through a color wheel.
    Le4tXJg.jpg

I jumped in an LFR and took a quick shot. Everyone with a green border has the atonement buff. I like a compact healing UI, so I use the preset "Bit'o'Grid" to quickly configure my Vuhdo.

Go to the Profiles section and select "Bit'o'Grid" and it will quickly make it for you.

cuQde1R.jpg

A word of warning: Vuhdo automatically activates mouse-over spell casting based on mouse clicks. Mouseover casting is real nice, don't get me wrong, but I use macros to do all of mine. If you want normal target selection then just change the targets to look like this:

yMZpuUy.jpg

Okay. Let's get down to the point of order: customizing the UI for atonement. In the "General" tab (bottom tabs) go to the "Indicators" section and then choose to edit either the "Outer Border" or "Inner Border" (whichever you prefer).

clGRHGo.jpg

It will look a little like this, although you won't have "Atonement" selected there. You'll have to make that. Pressing the edit button will open a new window that will allow you to make a new "Bouquet" as Vuhdo calls them:

TUbfVLh.jpg

You want to make what this image has.

Start by making a new Bouquet in the top left, and then name it whatever you like (Atonement is nice). You'll have to type the name in, then press "New".

In the priority list use the "Add" button in the panel on the right. That will add the buff to a priority list. You only want to track one buff though, so the list will only be that one thing: Atonement.

Then go to the event box. Set up the box as you see it there: type it "Atonement" so it tracks a buff by that name. Then make sure it only tracks your own atonements by checking the right boxes. Finally, the colored box will let you customize the color.

Now you're done. Go back to the "Indicators" and add your new Atonement Bouquet to one of the indicators (probably Inner or Outer Border).

It looks complicated but Vuhdo is a pretty reasonable tool. You can customize the bars to look just about anything although I prefer the simple, small style of Grid. Helps me better focus on whether or not I am standing in bad stuff!

edit: Ah, you actually want a timer, huh? I've been considering trying to add that myself... I had it back in Mists and Warlords for durations on Power Word: Shield as well as the strength of the shield that remains. Hmm...

edit2: Okay, I found the functionality as such... it's not a perfect solution, but it gives you an idea of what you could create. Spoilered, again, for large image.
    A duration bar is probably possible... although I am not sure it is possible as a border effect. However, changing colors based on remaining duration is certainly possible and fairly easy.

Here's a screenshot of a new addition I put on:

ZZsm64Z.jpg

So this is a pretty simple addition. I added a new bouquet, with higher priority, that simply tracks duration. You have to use that "special effects" drop down list to find "Duration < secs" to make this bouquet. If the duration of Atonement is under 5 seconds then the color goes from green, to red. In theory, I could build bouquets very quickly for many different colors to create a more natural transition from green to orange to red, etc.

edit3: I pushed it a little further with a more reasonable gradient. I might try this when raiding on Thursday... the color changes based on duration of atonement. 15-12 is green, 11-8 is yellow, 7-4 is orange, 3-0 is red. I've long been thinking of going for such functionality to help line up the best Lights Wraths that I can...

Here's a quick shot of the Vuhdo setup:
    WxTWvuV.jpg

Corp.Shephard on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    Got my 3rd toy drop from Withered training.

Now if only the wisp in a bottle worked like it did on Beta *maniacal cackle*

So it drops toys or such?
    One of the popular things is people are saying avoid it it's a waste of time

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Zunde wrote: »
    Got my 3rd toy drop from Withered training.

Now if only the wisp in a bottle worked like it did on Beta *maniacal cackle*

So it drops toys or such?
    One of the popular things is people are saying avoid it it's a waste of time

There's a bunch of toys it can drop. So it's worth at least doing a quick run at 400 mana even if you have hit exalted.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    You don't need to actually do the run. The chance of toys & mounts is, as far as anyone knows, not dependent on score. You get a chest containing AP and rep guaranteed even if you literally don't do the scenario. Start it up, talk to Thalyssra to summon the Withered, then talk to her again immediately to say you're done.

The cooldown for all Class Hall abilities which allow you to instantly complete a World Quest has been reduced from 3 days to 18 hours, and the time taken to complete the work order for the item used by these abilities has been reduced to 10 minutes.

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    You don't need to actually do the run. The chance of toys & mounts is, as far as anyone knows, not dependent on score. You get a chest containing AP and rep guaranteed even if you literally don't do the scenario. Start it up, talk to Thalyssra to summon the Withered, then talk to her again immediately to say you're done.

Good to know.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    Patch 7.1 Reputation Changes
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker)
    Reputation will not be made account-wide, no, but we will be easing a couple of linked features with 7.1.

First, Court of Stars and The Arcway will now unlock account-wide once each individual dungeon is completed once on an account.

Second, World Quests will no longer have the "friendly" reputation unlock requirement for secondary/alt characters. Once you hit 110 on an alt, you will immediately receive a quest to speak with Khadgar to receive your Flight Master's Whistle and unlock World Quests, as long as you've already unlocked World Quests on your main.

Hope this answers your concerns

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular

Wait, so wtf does score buy you?

steam_sig.png
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    The score gets you more rep, to a max of 425

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Ok might as well try it again tomorrow since it was nightfallen today

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    So until exalted most efficient is get to 425 then suicide?

steam_sig.png
    Smrtnik wrote: »

Basically yes

• belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »

Basically yes

I mean, it's not like you can redo the instance afterwards. but yeah, you can "quit" by running back to the entrance, too.

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    At the end of the day, I'd rather have one of my tank or healer specs geared than gear up barragehunter-99383472 who I don't ever want to group with again anyway.

It might be selfish on a me vs him spectrum. But chances are the gear does more work on a healer or tank spec because when I queue up as either it makes the queue pop for the other 4 people. I tend to run quite a few dungeons a day, so really me having the gear is for the greater good while some rando dps that sits in queue for 20+ minutes (no idea what dps queues are) isn't helping very many people. I pass out a fair share of loot too, I just don't think any addon should hold any sway over a common practice of loot distribution.

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    If you're an engineer, the withered scenario is probably the easiest way to get to cap, since the chests scattered around have a chance to drop the rank three recipe that will get you to 800. Or you can try to get exalted with Wardens.

It might be selfish on a me vs him spectrum. But chances are the gear does more work on a healer or tank spec because when I queue up as either it makes the queue pop for the other 4 people. I tend to run quite a few dungeons a day, so really me having the gear is for the greater good while some rando dps that sits in queue for 20+ minutes (no idea what dps queues are) isn't helping very many people. I pass out a fair share of loot too, I just don't think any addon should hold any sway over a common practice of loot distribution.

It's not holding sway. It's informing.

And honestly, with how often people forget or straight up don't know you can trade loot now, it's doing far more good than potential harm.

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Personally, I don't see the addon as particularly intrusive. I usually announce in /instance if I don't want something. I'm not an enchanter, but I could see gathering mats for my raid as a perfectly reasonable thing to do. I mean it's super nice when someone gives you an upgrade you could really use, so I try to pay it forward. Selfish v. Selfless seems like a philosophical debate that really goes beyond the scope of the thread imo.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I finally did the Withered scenario for the first time yesterday. I'm not even sure what's going on. I lost all but 3 to the spiders because I thought you had to put them on Mayhem for them to do anything. It wasn't that hard to get above 300, though, even with those few.

Also, I FINALLY finished my order hall quest line, which jumped my artifact something like 7-8 ilvls
    I finished the night with a LFR run that dropped an epic belt from Cenarius.

I needed a night like that, after all the frustration I've been dealing with in the game.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    it's worth going through the full scenario at least a time or two to get all the bonus chests, since they contain toys and upgrades for your withered.

I'm not sure if anyone has figured out whether such as the fox mount and artifact appearances depend on score, but getting to 400 is quick enough with an upgraded squad that I usually just do it anyway

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular

It's not holding sway. It's informing.

And honestly, with how often people forget or straight up don't know you can trade loot now, it's doing far more good than potential harm.

It could do its job by only informing the person who got the drop.

I know I personally will always willinging give someone something if I don't need it and they ask. But when an addon starts basically making me feel peer pressure to do so, I am much less likely to.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    as somebody who generally tries to give away anything I can't use, that addon is an immediate /ignore. It's spammy, encourages people to harass one another, and makes the chat window borderline unreadable when 3+ people have it and now I have to scroll up three pages to see what all even actually dropped

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    What is the range on the bolstering buff?

Because it turns dungeons real boring pulling single packs.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    as somebody who generally tries to give away anything I can't use, that addon is an immediate /ignore. It's spammy, encourages people to harass one another, and makes the chat window borderline unreadable when 3+ people have it and now I have to scroll up three pages to see what all even actually dropped

The one I hate is the one that says who does and doesn't have a flask on every time there's a ready check.

It's the sort of thing that's useful on Mythic, or even Heroic depending on how serious people about getting better. But on a group finder normal raid or a LFR raid? Maybe the tank should flask on Normal, but otherwise spare me.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I know the one that checks for buffs can be configured to not be annoying all the time. People are just lazy. I suspect the "tradeable upgrade" one also has settings that let you shut off the announcement to the whole party.

• TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Shadowhope wrote: »

The one I hate is the one that says who does and doesn't have a flask on every time there's a ready check.

It's the sort of thing that's useful on Mythic, or even Heroic depending on how serious people about getting better. But on a group finder normal raid or a LFR raid? Maybe the tank should flask on Normal, but otherwise spare me.

Even in guild runs it gets incredibly annoying if several people have the addon. My guild had that problem, RL had to say "only 1 person can have the addon and is so-and-so MT Officer, everybody else uninstall it now".

TryCatcher on
    SanderJK wrote: »
    What is the range on the bolstering buff?

Because it turns dungeons real boring pulling single packs.

You're not meant to single pull, you're meant to DPS evenly.

• DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    I'm having trouble keeping up with flask and potion materials. I play this game quite a bit, but I'm having a hard time keeping up with it. It's a TON of herbalism stuff. Add on that my best food also takes the same damn herbs, and it gets to be a problem.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Well, unless they're an enchanter, it's literally worthless to them if it's not an upgrade. And if they are an enchanter, I believe chaos crystals are worth just under 1500g at the moment.

Hey they have vendor prices! Literally worthless my butt.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    So, how different is the horde vs alliance regarding questing, especially in WOD+legion, but also in legacy content? I have gone through everything (like literally from level one) questing up as an alliance char, and am wondering whether it is worth going over as horde or if I should just use my boost. I was thinking though that there was some suff at least in wrath of the lich king and warlords of draenor thay might be intereating to see from the other side.

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    @belligerent The raid was super fun last night, thanks for the invite! I'm glad we got 4 bosses down, especially considering we started late.

I'm pretty happy with the newer raiding system that allows any number of people to join the raid. I remember the last time I raided heavily during Wrath having multiple 10 man raid teams and people ended up feeling left out, this seems like a way better solution.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    So, how different is the horde vs alliance regarding questing, especially in WOD+legion, but also in legacy content? I have gone through everything (like literally from level one) questing up as an alliance char, and am wondering whether it is worth going over as horde or if I should just use my boost. I was thinking though that there was some suff at least in wrath of the lich king and warlords of draenor thay might be intereating to see from the other side.

Legion I think the only area you'd see a difference is Stormheim.

WoD has some differences, for example Horde has a lot of quest chains in Frostfire while Alliance is all SMV.

MoP has major differences, especially in the Bell quest line and Jade Forest.

Cata is where you'd find the most differences.

WotLK also has a lot of differences with very little overlap beyond the neutral factions.

TBC is pretty much the same, with a couple of minor differences

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Question for the Herbism crowd.

When you get your StarLight Rose, what stacks sell better?

Like on my server, I see that the 200 Stack is going for like 32k, but I can't believe someone would drop that much on it.

• ZythonZython Registered User regular

To expand on Nobody's explanation.

Cata-Vanilla: Quite a bit, primarily at early levels. Some places I'd recommend as Horde are Silverpine Forest, Stonetalon Mountains, and Southern Barrens. The experience is pretty similar from lv 40 to Outland.

BC: I'm kind of drawing a blank here. Just...just skip BC questing.

Wrath: Primary differences are going to be found in the first 4 zones (Borean Tundra, Howling Fjord, Dragonblight, Grizzly Hills). Rest of the zones are virtually identical.

Cata: Only zone that's majorly different is Twilight Highlands. Vash'jir is slightly different, but probably not worth it in the long run.

Mists: First half of Jade Forest is the only leveling quest content with significant differences. The Krasarang Campaign is likely also different, but that's not leveling content.

WoD: Biggest difference here is that Horde starts off in Frostfire Ridge instead of Shadowmoon Valley. Outside of how some zone-intro quests are laid out (Gorgrond/Nagrand), there's not much different at this point.

Legion: Stormheim is the only zone with any difference between factions.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Yeah, I know in Legion I sort of did a lot of Val'sharah with a Horde Rogue that seemed to be doing the same quests as I was. We had a lot of fun trying to communicate with each other through gestures and dancing. Funny thing is that I keep seeing that Rogue in Dalaran and we still try to talk through gestures.

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I love how everyone hates on BC questing, but I remember being blown away by the quests in BC and how much better they were than vanilla.

I have vivid memories of grinding ghosts at that goddamn lake in Wintergrasp from level 52 to 60 because I ran out of quests to do.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    I love how everyone hates on BC questing, but I remember being blown away by the quests in BC and how much better they were than vanilla.

I have vivid memories of grinding ghosts at that goddamn lake in Wintergrasp from level 52 to 60 because I ran out of quests to do.

I thought the bombing run in Hellfire Peninsula was the coolest thing when I first did it

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular

Oh, they were much better than Vanilla no doubt.

Vanilla got redone with Cataclysm though, and TBC still has some questionable quest rewards in it (agi plate) so it's now bottom of the heap.

I will say that the Draenei and BElf starter zones are still really good though.

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular

I literally did this exact thing on my first level 60 character.

This discussion has been closed.