As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Eve Online Special Edition] Expansions, Mac/Linux Clients, and newbie drive

• Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I played the trial over the summer. It was pretty fun but I felt like the game bored me. Then I come to this thread and watch those titan kill videos and omgz. I am torn. In January I was thinking of starting WoW again but now this looks oh so nice.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Kemal86 wrote: »
    Is it possible to make the mac client run in a window?

To get the Apple Client to run in a window press AppleKey+Enter
    (put in OP, popular question, and easy fix)

Sueve on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Archonex wrote: »
    Right, so I got bored with the idea of a drone whore, and decided to make a miner, that uses drones as supplements. I'll probably kit him out for combat once I get situated, though, as a miner. Heading out to join up right now as Maedanis Ulrith.
    Being a miner isn't really an awesome option. You should go drone whore, train salvaging and then nuke Sansha spawns - you'll make more money, more easily.

Eh, I guess I can stick with my drone whore. I'll sign up as Lorres Vanisti when I get the chance. The only problem I see with that strategy is that it takes a shitload of money, for a new char to get started, up front.

Archonex on
  • Options
    runaway_pancakerunaway_pancake Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The salvaging skill is only 900k from NPC sellers. If you can't manage that you can probably get someone to just send you money for it.

runaway_pancake on
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Check 77s market soon (tm), with popular demand and me wanting another force recon, I may be making another empire to jewper highway to supply everyone with low low bargain basement priced* skillbooks, including several dozen salvage books.

*low low bargain basement priced skillbooks dictated by 0.0 market. in this case, for 300% or more markup

Arch - stick with your 'drone whore', since your drone bonuses sorta apply to your mining drones as well. Plus, you'll soon realise space mining is not entirely fun except done sparingly and in groups. You'll quickly see that while mining doesn't have very many skills, combat requirements do.

New people - WATCH INTEL CHANNELS. Otherwise Daisho Syndicate will more than happily show you what an exploding [insert your ship here] will look like in e-pr0s. We had our own vent server which no one ever used. It's annoying as hell if you're pvp oriented, and every single corp you have flown with besides mrchi used teamspeak, where most of those had the rule "if you're logged on, you're on teamspeak as well".

Ronzo - when I started playing eve, my old pc used to run it fine.

AMD Athlon 600
    256mb ram
    stealth 3 s4 16mb agp
    15" crt

while my current system is

1.8 athlon oc'd to 2.4
    1gb ram
    geforce 7600gt
    19" lcd

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    mccoolmccool Registered User new member
    edited November 2007
    just signed up for merch at the amarr office.

i'm pretty new and will need some guidance if available, if not, i'm a fast learner.

my user name is Shiver.

toss me a message

mccool on
  • Options
    StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    arghhhhhh I need to stop getting podded.

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    New players start out with 800,000 skillpoints now, AND the mission series for newbies now gives you a Propulsion Jamming skillbook. You really can log into the game brand new and be ready to meaningfully assist in combat in 24 hours at most, now. When was the last time you saw a level 10 in WoW legitimately help kill a level 70 by preventing that 70 from escaping?

hunter and rogue
    I quit that game and I still have angst

I enjoyed the game, and wished I learned to play it when I played EnB so long ago, i probably would be still playing now, but I just dont have the time to put effort into such a game anymore :\

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Right, so I got bored with the idea of a drone whore, and decided to make a miner, that uses drones as supplements. I'll probably kit him out for combat once I get situated, though, as a miner. Heading out to join up right now as Maedanis Ulrith.

You got bored and went to mining?

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Gihgehls wrote: »

You got bored and went to mining?

DOES NOT COMPUTE!

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    KivutarKivutar Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Had a couple questions - Is there anyway to check character stats on an expired account without paying to reactivate it?

Trying to decide if I should just start afresh or not, i.e. get a new trial account before I end up purchasing the game. I played through a 14 day trial this past spring with MerchI, had a great time, but was out of the country for a length of time after that & never got around to seriously getting into it after that.

Also, how easy is it to foot the monthly in ISK - what would be the most time-efficient way of covering it this way if I do end up doing that? On a related note, how easy is it to keep up on the ISK-making for the above if one really wants to focus on PvP - I expect prolonged mining would bore me to tears, would rather salvage/run missions/rat, etc.

Thanks for any answers.

Kivutar on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    To foot the monthly in ISK you need to be pretty consistent in your ratting behavior, but it's not too hard. GoonFleet prices will set you back 180m /month but bear in mind that's been rising. If you set yourself a target like 20m per night or something during the week (about an hour of playing, maybe 2 depending on chains) then it'll take you between 1 to 2 weeks per month of light play to buy the GTCs. Since you'll have more time on the weekends, you'll probably easily go over this.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Probably going to head down and try to infiltrate, er join, MerchI and see if I can get in. Name is Mort Brukhan, probably going to try later today or early tomorrow.

Enjoying the game so far though, having loads of fun in my Rifter.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Spy located!

Also Rifters are the best frigates. Period. Though the Incursus is pretty cool looking.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I absolutely obliterated a taranis in a rifter a few nights ago ( a sabre helped but the fight was over). web+400mm plate+sar+barrage = dead stupid inty

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Im thinking about joining back up in this game......... I think ill wait for the revelations upgrade.... Id like to try covert ops or small squad pvping, the large scale stuff I tried before just meant *lag for 5 minutes, come back and find your dead, hopefully that means someone else got through to fight while they shot you* This is really a great game to just log on, and chill out doing some stuff for a little bit. Until you get a huge stockpile of cash, and a decent ratting ship (read BC) salvaging is freaking amazing in 0sec for money.

on a bonus/strange note I was dumb enough to get automatic debit (noone told me their history of fuckups with the service,aparently they just dont stop charging monthly for some people) and after cancelling my account last month, I got an email this month saying "whoops when we charged you for this month ( D:) we charged you 20$ by mistake, so were refunding you 5$!" Im like "shit im getting screwed there still charging me, and I threw up a ticket to them to go "what the hell" at them. I check my bank statement the next day, and they refunded me 5$, without charging for monthly. I dont think I like the idea that there still messing around in my bank account even though ive cancelled my account though, even if it was in my favor this time....

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FreaksausFreaksaus Registered User new member
    edited November 2007
    Kivutar wrote: »
    Had a couple questions - Is there anyway to check character stats on an expired account without paying to reactivate it?

Trying to decide if I should just start afresh or not, i.e. get a new trial account before I end up purchasing the game. I played through a 14 day trial this past spring with MerchI, had a great time, but was out of the country for a length of time after that & never got around to seriously getting into it after that.

Also, how easy is it to foot the monthly in ISK - what would be the most time-efficient way of covering it this way if I do end up doing that? On a related note, how easy is it to keep up on the ISK-making for the above if one really wants to focus on PvP - I expect prolonged mining would bore me to tears, would rather salvage/run missions/rat, etc.

Thanks for any answers.

If you still know your login information you can just log onto the eve online site and check your skillpoints.

http://myeve.eve-online.com/character/skilltree.asp

As for the monthly fee, even for a brand new character it's easy enough to make the money in maybe an hour or 2 of salvaging

Freaksaus on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I tried this game for about 6 months last year. It was awesome and a lot of fun, but I just couldn't dedicate the time to it to actually get anywhere. You guys talk about getting 20m a night, I don't think I've ever gotten that in a week, maybe even a month. I really wish I could play as the combat and space theme are so inviting to my tastes. I never did get any good at combat though..
    I had a character with lots of drones. I can't remember the specifics but I had just gotten a newer ship that could support like 85m3 drones and finished a lvl 5 upgrade for my drones giving me over 125% boost to all drone attributes.

I can't really complain about the $15/month either, because it's practically the standard now, but it's too expensive for the playtime I can give it.

Every time I see one of these threads I can feel it pulling me in.. So tempting..

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Freaksaus wrote: »
    Kivutar wrote: »

Thanks for any answers.

If you still know your login information you can just log onto the eve online site and check your skillpoints.

As for the monthly fee, even for a brand new character it's easy enough to make the money in maybe an hour or 2 of salvaging

I just tried that, and while I can log into my account just fine, it does not let me log in to check my characters while the account is suspended.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I tried this game for about 6 months last year. It was awesome and a lot of fun, but I just couldn't dedicate the time to it to actually get anywhere. You guys talk about getting 20m a night, I don't think I've ever gotten that in a week, maybe even a month. I really wish I could play as the combat and space theme are so inviting to my tastes. I never did get any good at combat though..
    I had a character with lots of drones. I can't remember the specifics but I had just gotten a newer ship that could support like 85m3 drones and finished a lvl 5 upgrade for my drones giving me over 125% boost to all drone attributes.

I can't really complain about the $15/month either, because it's practically the standard now, but it's too expensive for the playtime I can give it.

Every time I see one of these threads I can feel it pulling me in.. So tempting..

I hear you on the monthly fee, I really wish they'd get rid of it :P

But 20m in a night is really easy to make in a few hours in deep 0.0, simply because ratting is so profitable down there. Mining is suffering a pretty bad depression, but is still far more profitable than anywher else.

that being said I'm always broke because I don't pve

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    KivutarKivutar Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Freaksaus wrote: »

Well, I can use my login info. with no trouble for the account specific things, but as soon as I try to look at any of the character data, I'm pushed back to the login screen & the same info spits back "Login credentials incorrect." I'll probably just end up starting a new trial anyway, I couldn't have had that much ISK left on the account, 30m tops? The extra 14 days seems like a better deal.

Also hoping to do small-scale PvP & raiding - any recommendations on starting race with this & salvaging in mind? I was flying a Caracal missile boat when I stopped before, but never really tried any of the other races' ships, nor any weapons other than rockets/light/heavy missiles.

Kivutar on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

But 20m in a night is really easy to make in a few hours in deep 0.0, simply because ratting is so profitable down there. Mining is suffering a pretty bad depression, but is still far more profitable than anywher else.

Yeah, see, every time I entered 0.0 space, I was either quickly retreating or warping away hoping not to be podded. I lost more money in 0.0 space than ever gained. Part of that is my fault for only have 1 friend with me. I really needed to join up with the PA crew, but never did get around to it after I found out where you guys were.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Yeah, see, every time I entered 0.0 space, I was either quickly retreating or warping away hoping not to be podded. I lost more money in 0.0 space than ever gained. Part of that is my fault for only have 1 friend with me. I really needed to join up with the PA crew, but never did get around to it after I found out where you guys were.

Yes some of the requirements for being in 0.0 is having a good tag, knowing your safe zones (which in themselves are never safe anyways), and salvaging. Getting salvaging as soon as you can makes you go from trying to get 200k isk an hour in the main zone to 1 mil isk a salvage or so (my first salvage neted me 1.5mil, where the book cost me 900k......)

people talk about how boring mining is, but sometimes its really great to just go out to a rock and relax. I remember back in my E&B days I really loved to just go sit and farm in a field for a few hours and listen to music. I wish mining in eve were more interactive (retrieving loot from rock, getting minerals droping that is more random then just pulling whatever was named out of the rock, out of it) andjumping around from rock to rock, but its good for what it is....

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    But unless you are mining with security in 0.0, your mining barge will not last long.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Man, i just got armarr frigate V and the malediction looks fucking amazing. Nearly all engines and a sleek jet black. I'm at work now, but ill post some cool looking pics for the newbies later.

Anathema is fuck awesome too. and training up 1 more level of the skill that speeds up probing time dropped me from 73 seconds to 64. not great, but damn that a large drop for 1 level

ronzo on
  • Options
    Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Becoming wrote: »
    Does anyone else love the name of our system?

Not until we get to name it New Hoshoun.

FYI you suck.

So, you guys are not in Hoshoun any more. Is it occupied by someone else? Cause all of my stuff is in Hoshoun. :(

Seriously thinking about starting the account up again. Its been too long.

Namel3ss on
    May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
  • Options
    CelifulCeliful Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Okay, I've read through a few pages and I've been looking for a new MMO. I use to play with I require frozen treats on WoW and was looking forward to a similar community. My IGN is Celiful, and I'm about to start. Thanks, and hopefully my app gets accepted.

Celiful on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    But unless you are mining with security in 0.0, your mining barge will not last long.

Mining barge? Pffft. We use carriers.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

those also dont last very long

ronzo on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Namel3ss wrote: »
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Becoming wrote: »
    Does anyone else love the name of our system?

Not until we get to name it New Hoshoun.

FYI you suck.

So, you guys are not in Hoshoun any more. Is it occupied by someone else? Cause all of my stuff is in Hoshoun. :(

Seriously thinking about starting the account up again. Its been too long.

We don't live there anymore, but it's a low sec system so the station itself is owned by an NPC corp, ergo if you still have stuff there you can nip in and retrieve/sell it. Just beware that CVA patrol that area and we show as hostile to them due to us now being in Goonswarm whilst they will show as blue to us due to them being cool guys that we don't want to shoot. The upshot of this is that people who might look friendly to you if you were in Merch may actually be a roaming gang specifically out to kill you. So don't dilly dally - get in, do what you need to do and then get out.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    ronzo wrote: »

those also dont last very long

Longer than barges.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    An update for prospective players: the Trinity website is now active. It will apparently slip November but it looks like Trinity will land really soon here, and it looks GREAT.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    SpaceDrake wrote: »
    An update for prospective players: the Trinity website is now active. It will apparently slip November but it looks like Trinity will land really soon here, and it looks GREAT.

Get this in the OP, stat.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    So ratting with two battleships is actually pretty nice.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    deadteardeadtear Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So is faction spawn hunting with 2 vagabonds. I got 2 domi spawns in 20 minutes, both actually had decent loot in them.

deadtear on
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    deadtear wrote: »
    So is faction spawn hunting with 2 vagabonds. I got 2 domi spawns in 20 minutes, both actually had decent loot in them.

Cystalline Crokite mining with two character is very awesome too...

Money!

Comahawk on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well, I've had a character going for a couple months, but really haven't been doing much with him. This is exactly the kind of thing I wanted to do, so I'm signing up. My in game name is Stabbity Style. I'll sign up ASAP.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    BurguBurgu Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So I used to play with Merch last semester, and had alot of fun doing so. We were just getting into 0.0 space with the Goons and things were getting interesting.

Then my account got banned because of a billing problem (i gave them the wrong address on my CC info oops!)

So i've been pining for some eve lately, is it worth it for me to rejoin?

Convince me please

Burgu on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    deadtear wrote: »
    LIAR! No Domi spawns have good loot in them.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    runaway_pancakerunaway_pancake Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Burgu wrote: »
    So I used to play with Merch last semester, and had alot of fun doing so. We were just getting into 0.0 space with the Goons and things were getting interesting.

Then my account got banned because of a billing problem (i gave them the wrong address on my CC info oops!)

So i've been pining for some eve lately, is it worth it for me to rejoin?

Convince me please
    Oh man that sucks about your account. If you want to play again though go ahead and reroll, I guess. We've kept BoB on the run ever since since their invincible Titans got nerfed in June, so fleet stuff is a lot less bullshit than when you were around.

runaway_pancake on
This discussion has been closed.