As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Last Jedi Teaser can be seen right now in the [Star Wars] thread

SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhexRegistered User regular
edited April 2017 in Social Entropy++
can you feel the struggle within?
Six on

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    That trailer is just so good.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Holy shit

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I disagree with UV's talk in the last page of the previous thread about Rogue One.

There is value in exploring a setting, or granting insight into characters, even if it does not contribute to the progression of a larger, overarching narrative. Now, whether or not this is done well is the nebulous line between the good "stand-alone" episode and the bad "filler" episode (to use television terms).

Obviously, that distinction is going to come down to some degree of subjectivity.

For my part, I am more interested in seeing Rogue One than a Han Solo prequel film, because I feel the character of Han Solo is well-enough defined and explored in the existing Star Wars films. I don't feel that seeing his "origin story" would deepen my enjoyment of the OT or TFA. This lack of deeper appreciation for the characters and events in the OT is also a large reason why the PT films fall flat. Rogue One appears to be avoiding these pitfalls by not using existing characters, and presenting a side of the OT setting that we have not seen presented in films yet, as the military conflicts we see in the OT are all major, decisive encounters (the destruction of the Death Star at Yavin IV, the assault on Hoth Base by the Empire, the destruction of the second Death Star at Endor) playing out on epic scale. All indications are that the encounters in Rogue One will be smaller, more "grounded." Instead of Patton, it's Saving Private Ryan.

DarkPrimus on
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Russian R1 poster is ok:
    Ct8WWmzWEAALBuf.jpg

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    the fake reflection would work better if the symbol wasn't already on the helmet itself.

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Knowing the outcome of a movie's main plot doesn't take away from the richness of the movie itself, ergo I don't think I agree with UV's claim that Rogue One is less compelling because you know that the plans get delivered.

Like, we know the mission is to get the plans and get them delivered; that is the main driving plot of the story. And while we know the plans ultimately get there, we don't know the characters involved or the cost incurred by that successful mission. Like since when did the final destination define the journey?

I mean, the whole point of Zero Dark Thirty is to kill Bin Laden, which we already know they successfully do, but that in and of itself doesn't make the movie bad, does it? What about biographies? Or any movie based on a book you've already read?

That said, I get that everyone sees movies for different reasons and if you don't find certain ones compelling or appealing, then hey that's cool. Be you! That just isn't my experience when it comes to basically any media I consume.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I would think almost any war movie about a real major battle would invalidate UV's reasoning.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I know what the general ending of Rogue One is but how they do it and get the plans I am interesting in

Just I feel the Obi Wan and Solo/Fett movies are a waste and are wrong

Brainleech on
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I know what the general ending of Rogue One is but how they do it and get the plans I am interesting in

Just I feel the Obi Won and Solo/Fett movies are a waste and are wrong

It's Obi Wan, btw

The spell check on my kindle is weird

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    I hope the theories that Finn is still going to be a jedi at some point are true

maybe Luke needs to meet him

I do hope that as well but it still was nice they gasp let a girl be one in the movies
    And female stormtroopers

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Huh, I wonder if they actually are gonna adapt that character from the recent comics

6F32U1X.png
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    There is something kinda amazing and strange about listening to my wife read the bed time story version of final lightsaber from AotS.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    There is something kinda amazing and strange about listening to my wife read the bed time story version of final lightsaber from AotS.

Is it the Little Golden Books version?

Because if so, oh man

I saw that in a grocery store one time and just had to flip through it

7TxmvYkl.jpg

UnbreakableVow on
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Ugh, I am so excited, gonna doing a Star Wars game this weekend. Gonna catch all the bounties and punch out all the Jedis.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Huh, I wonder if they actually are gonna adapt that character from the recent comics

Give me murderous, evil C3PO and R2 please.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

Is it the Little Golden Books version?

Because if so, oh man

I saw that in a grocery store one time and just had to flip through it

7TxmvYkl.jpg

It's amazing how little dialogue they had to change

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    You could say that episodes 8 & 9 are now superfluous because your know that snoke is going to be defeated.

Blake T wrote: »
    You could say that episodes 8 & 9 are now superfluous because your know that snoke is going to be defeated.

No I don't

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Im dropping that spoiler.

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Im dropping that spoiler.

What if it turns out Snoke was just trying to unite the Galaxy to fend off the Yuuzhan Vong incursion and everyone makes him the Supreme Commander of the combined forces?

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    5 min Star Wars Stories. Short little stories from all of the 7 films
    oftcwirioz88.jpg
    s6jatmzp1ht8.jpg
    And by "defeat" we mean "get slaughtered by"

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    So the new trailer for The Old Republic is fucking sweet you guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbpDxrew4A0

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I played the first part of the Knights of the Fallen Empire expansion, did the rest of it hold up? I'll re-sub for a month to finish the episodes if so

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I played the first part of the Knights of the Fallen Empire expansion, did the rest of it hold up? I'll re-sub for a month to finish the episodes if so

From what I hear it's pretty good but not as good. I'm going to play through it at some point, because if it's half as good as it started it'll be worth the time.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Maybe I'll play that expansion over winter break. I tried going back to SWTOR a year or two ago to finish up the class stories I hadn't beaten yet but it was feeling like just a slog. I'd just choose either my Agent or Inquisitor and carry them over.

Hmm, now there's a difficult choice...

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    man the rogue one trailer is good

also I literally never get tired of hearing X-wings fly around, just pump that sound directly into my veins

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I wish I could get into Old Republic but it's just too much of a stock WoW combat clone to hook me for any length of time

If it felt at all more engaging, I'd have run multiple characters to max level by now, but I always burn out after only a couple days

And it bums me out because it's a BioWare Star Wars game I'll never get to finish! So much cool shit I'll never see...

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Best part about that trailer is still the TIE Fighter coming straight up into the shot. I hope in these new movies we keep getting amazing dogfights. TFA was really, really solid, but if we could get a full Rogue Squadron movie (or freaking Netflix show) I would be thrilled.

• GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Old Republic is like crack for me. I can't play it enough. Heck I consider the 'Deceived' trailer the best trailer ever made, and 2 of my three favourite Star Wars characters come from The Old Republic/KOTOR (Darth's Revan, and Malgus)
    I have 10 characters and still have lots left to do.
    I've never done an operation for example. No guild, my main is a tank, and no-one wants to do an op with a tank who hasn't done one before
    I've still not finished the newer chapters of the game because i've been trying to gear up my less-regular played characters.

If I was only able to play one game for the rest of my life it would be Old Republic.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    5 min Star Wars Stories. Short little stories from all of the 7 films
    oftcwirioz88.jpg
    s6jatmzp1ht8.jpg
    And by "defeat" we mean "get slaughtered by"

I have this book, some of the art in it is straight up adorable, will try and snap some pics after work if I remember

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Rock Lobster!Rock Lobster! Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

I found the drip-feed chapters to be pretty disappointing. I thought the first... 9? that came out at the launch were pretty promising, but the ones after didn't really live up to it. Some of them were neat, but most were about an hour of content, and a few felt like straight up filler episodes. The overall story was okay, and the ending was interesting enough that I'm curious to see what happens, but not exactly "hyped".

Some of the monthly chapters also feel like they were artificially lengthened, like they realized certain chapters only took 30 minutes to complete and added extra corridors to the combat areas and plopped enemies in them to pad out the playtime. I was also really disappointed that replayability for the expansion as a whole is practically nil. Also reuniting with old companions was rather lackluster. Since most of the recruitment quests are optional, they basically just get completely ignored after you get them. And I'm still a little bit bitter that my love interest companion still hasn't shown up yet.

Overall I ended up feeling pretty lukewarm on KotFE as a whole, but I'll probably play the new one. I was gonna wait until it was all done and do it all at once, but it seems like they not doing the monthly chapter thing this time.

Steam | BNet: Eits#1367
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

holy shit

give me a whole movie of that quality animation, please

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »

holy shit

give me a whole movie of that quality animation, please

I'm often amazed at the quality of these.

Final Fantasy: the Spirits Within was amazing (for 2001), but still teetered on the edge of the uncanny valley. This, and the first trailer with the two brothers ... there have been moments where I could easily believe it was live action.
    (And then I reflect that as much time separates this from that as separates the FF movie from (the original) Tron.)

Commander Zoom on
    The new FF movie, Kingsglaive, also has moments like that

I started watching Rebels today

It's neat!

How is Kingsglaive?

I really should update and play KotOR since WOW finally because fun again
    But alas I really need to find more time to play since 2 hours of play time is all I get anymore expect on my weekends

Kingsglaive is rad as fuck

• GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    apparently there's a new Rogue One trailer coming out tomorrow? I'm going to do my hardest to not watch it.

This discussion has been closed.