As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Love] is a Battlefield

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Alright, I asked that HEMA instructor how long into autumn they stay outdoors.

I still wanna maybe go out there and check it out once before winter since I haven't made the time yet. It'd be nice to try something like that still. Also around springtime I might see about getting more into it.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Salsa workshop is paid for. Now to book a room.

Long weekend, Monday off.

HARRY AP, OCTOBAR

• Options
    MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    Get your swordfight on! Who doesn't love a dashing duelist dedicated dearly to dealing dastardly death! That and it is a ton of fun.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I don't recall who was was wishing there was a place where it was appropriate to talk to strangers that isn't a bar.

Maybe it was @Creagan ... Or @OmnipotentBagel ?

Anyhow I was at Bennihana today eating and there I was disappointed that it ended up being just us at the table. You see for hibachi they seat you right next to strangers, and you usually end up talking to them. It is pretty fun.

It made the lightbulb go on that restaurants like this, where they seat you right next to strangers, are one of those places. Another fun one I have been to was Cafe Montage in Portland. Or the Surly Brewery here in Minneapolis, which serves food, they seat you at these huge picnic tables with everyone else.

Another place where I see this is the Fantasy Flight game center, where they serve food and drinks and have boardgames that can be borrowed. People meet and talk to strangers there and it isn't weird at all.

So, there definitely are great places for this.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    I don't recall who was was wishing there was a place where it was appropriate to talk to strangers that isn't a bar.

Anyhow I was at Bennihana today eating and there I was disappointed that it ended up being just us at the table. You see for hibachi they seat you right next to strangers, and you usually end up talking to them. It is pretty fun.

It made the lightbulb go on that restaurants like this, where they seat you right next to strangers, are one of those places. Another fun one I have been to was Cafe Montage in Portland. Or the Surly Brewery here in Minneapolis, which serves food, they seat you at these huge picnic tables with everyone else.

Another place where I see this is the Fantasy Flight game center, where they serve food and drinks and have boardgames that can be borrowed. People meet and talk to strangers there and it isn't weird at all.

I was at Montage last weekend, and they definitely didn't do that. I don't know if things have changed since you were in (it was my first time), or if we got there at a weird time, but it was set up for normal 'Table for two' restaurant seating.
    Still a go idea, just make sure you're going to a place that does it.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I was there... 4 years ago. They did have individual seats but everyone was sat at a long table, not in individual parties.perhaps they changed it?

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »

Pretty sure that was me. That does sound cool.

Problem is, those kinds of places aren't super common the way bars are. And they tend to either be super-small town exclusive things, or you find them in bigger cities with a more diverse population. AKA, not where I live.

Being here is making me realize just how different Chicago & the surrounding area is from the rest of the Midwest. And also why people HATE the Midwest so much.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I was very confused until I read what a hibachi is in American usage

A friend of mine, for some reason, thought it was a good idea to take me to an American-style hibachi and go partying with a group of Mexians after I arrived in Shanghai, completely jetlagged

That was also the first time I actually tried to eat food with chopsticks, I think I ate very little

And then things went completely south

• Options
    That was the club adventure where, on the next day, my friend got angry at me that I didn't physically restrain him from having sex with a Mexican lady

And I was sooo tired and wanted to take a cab to where I was staying, but he was adamant I would get robbed and murdered if I got into a cab by myself

He was very drunk and I could've probably also banged someone but who cares

• Options
    AngelinaAngelina Registered User regular
    He sounds great.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I was very confused until I read what a hibachi is in American usage

A friend of mine, for some reason, thought it was a good idea to take me to an American-style hibachi and go partying with a group of Mexians after I arrived in Shanghai, completely jetlagged

That was also the first time I actually tried to eat food with chopsticks, I think I ate very little

And then things went completely south

Nice

Peas on
  • Options
    The Mexicans also got very drunk that evening and they said that our nation had stolen their most important artifact and this created some sort of special bond (I'm not making this up)

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    The Mexicans also got very drunk that evening and they said that our nation had stolen their most important artifact and this created some sort of special bond (I'm not making this up)

I mean, if they REALLY want Texas back that much, as far as I'm concerned they can have it.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    What does hibachi mean in other places

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular

it was a leg!

a wood one, though

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    What does hibachi mean in other places

Fire bowl.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    What you guys call Hibachi is what we call Teppanyaki back home.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    But a hibachi uses charcoal.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Yeah, we called hibachi a little Japanese bar be que. Teppanyaki, so far as I knew, is the flat iron griddle like at Benihana

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, in the US, at least in Pennsylvania, hibachi is one of the big flat iron grill, and the goofball chefs do funny stuff like make onion volcanoes and try to get customers drunk on sake and get you to catch food in your mouth.

I slept so much better last night. I got approved for the loan and got a car, which is s huge weight off my shoulders.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Was there much networking going on at the robotics conference?

broken image link
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    homer_angry2.png

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

ngbbs514e60e510c05.jpg

m14vkfc0q450.png

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Ha!

yes, that website is rated incorrectly. i'll cut it anyway tho I don't want folks in trouble

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Ha!

yes, that website is rated incorrectly. i'll cut it anyway tho I don't want folks in trouble

Oh, it's fine, I won't get in any trouble--I just thought it was funny.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    Yeah, we called hibachi a little Japanese bar be que. Teppanyaki, so far as I knew, is the flat iron griddle like at Benihana

My family has always used a real hibachi but we just call it a grill. Lodge makes good ones!

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh great and now a message from an ex. Apparently this is just my week for being hounded by Spanish-speaking men I have no desire to talk to.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    Oh great and now a message from an ex. Apparently this is just my week for being hounded by Spanish-speaking men I have no desire to talk to.

¡Ay, caramba!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited October 2016
    We are going out to lunch today.

My mother is going with us.

I'm nervous but like, I shouldn't be, I know they will like each other a whole lot.

It's also the first day of her vacation! So soon we will be taking that surprise trip she planned.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Uriel wrote: »

I'm nervous but like, I shouldn't be, I know they will like each other a whole lot.

It's also the first day of her vacation! So soon we will be taking that surprise trip she planned.

Uriel I am really damn happy for you and I think it's okay to be a little nervous. It's a sign that you care, which is good.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Uriel I am really damn happy for you and I think it's okay to be a little nervous. It's a sign that you care, which is good.

Thanks Omni.

I feel like I keep coming in here and bragging up the place but like... I just feel so excited.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular

At least your ex acknowledges your existence?

Or would you prefer the sweet embrace of denial?

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular

Thanks Omni.

I feel like I keep coming in here and bragging up the place but like... I just feel so excited.

I, for one, am 1000% ok with this and hope it continues. :)

• Options
    Yeah, we need happy people bragging about their good times to offset all the texts from exes and horrors of online dating.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Karl wrote: »

In this particular case - actually in almost all cases - I wluld prefer my exes never spoke to, looked at, or wrote to me again.

Edit: I mean one of the (several) reasons this person is definitively an ex is that at one point he started ignoring me completely so, you know. Fuck off.

tynic on
  • Options

In this particular case - actually in almost all cases - I wluld prefer my exes never spoke to, looked at, or wrote to me again.

Mandatory Eternal Sunshining for all exes.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Mandatory Eternal Sunshining for all exes.

Oh no.
    They should remember me forever.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Blind them.

Remove their tongues.

Slit their noses.

Send them to a monastery.

They will never be able to challenge your right to the throne.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    A1ZmZuO.png

I found that I'm so unfit, that exercise totally worked.

Beautiful racist ex girlfriend? Sorry I've got no time to think about you, this last assisted pull up is killing me

This discussion has been closed.