As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Western Canada Supertrip 2007

b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy ManagerCanadaRegistered User regular
edited February 2007 in PAX Archive
Well, this is it. There's enough of us damned Canadians at PAX every year that we should be able to organize our own Supertrip for PAX next year.

So far, we're looking to usurp as many attendees as possible from the Lower Mainland/Vancouver Island/Southern BC areas, plus those from Edmonton & Calgary. I'm in Abbotsford, what about everyone else? If we get started well ahead of time, the plans can be successful.

Oh yeah, how about getting this stickied?

b0wser on

• SamyelSamyel Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Might be enough people have three lines--one from Prince George, one from Edmonton, one from Calgary. Kamloops is a natural meeting place (god knows it's the only reason this place exists) for those three to meet up, then trickle down through the outlying Vancouver areas. Grab people from Vancouver Island ferry on the edge of Delta, then make a triumphant run into Seattle.

Samyel on
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."
  • b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    It's certainly something we can do. Kamloops is a great place for the Edmonton & Calgary folks to meet up and join the trek, and I think that either Kamloops or Merritt can be a link-up for people from the mass of small towns in the region.

Ferrying to Seattle directly from Vancouver Island is honestly kinda boring, and taking the lazy, unfun way to get to the Expo. If they ferry to join up with the Vancouver Branch, they can link in Bellingham as well.

The Vancouver Branch doesn't need to go to Abbotsford as much as the Abbotsford & Beyond Branch doesn't need to go to Vancouver or Peace Arch. The I-5 runs to Bellingham, so that would be a solid final point. Depending on where we've got people coming from, would judge where our waypoints will need to be.

My buddy Larry's got tons of great person-organization skills, and he's stoked to help with this project. I'm looking at three coming from Abbotsford for sure, with likely more to join as time goes by.

b0wser on
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    The timing for any group trip never turned out. Each year it's either they're wanting to leave too soon, or my own group leaves before the other one.

Plus we like stopping here and there...so...could show up if we're going on the same day, but otherwise I'll probably set the schedule for us again.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • YuritauYuritau CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Count me in, if I still have a car by then (it's not my car, so who knows, heh). I can join the wagon train at kelowna or merrit. Probably merrit if y'all are gonna meet in kamloops.

Yuritau on
  • Mo1sonMo1son Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I'll probably be driving :D . Yay Richmond.

Mo1son on
    edited September 2006
    I'm trying to get a job on Vancouver Island right now, but I'll probably be bullying friends from Kamloops into coming down for 07. To be honest, the Clipper scares the bejesus out of me (though it's okay on three gravol) so taking the more placid ferry and crossing on the mainland with the pack is vastly more appealing.

I'd be happy to help organize, though I'm sure we'd need the wisdom and experience of those noble souls who set up the successful American supertrips.

Samyel on
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."
  • YuritauYuritau CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    The Clipper is awesome! It's like a giant sea-doo! Those water jets are crazy.

My beef with it is that it's expensive. Plus it adds like 8 hours, at least, to my trip if I go that way, heh.

Yuritau on
  • gates_apcogates_apco Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I've heard that the timing is always an issue with these things. I plan to drive down Friday morning and drive home Sunday night like I did this year. Do most people take Friday off from Work/School to attend Pax?

gates_apco on
    edited September 2006
    I've had to book the weekend off for both years, but it was easy. I like to be there for all three days, and will be looking at different arrival times as the date approaches.

I'm looking forward to putting this Supertrip plan together, regardless of how small it may be. As some more of the simple stuff gets established, I expect to post frequent updates in this thread.

b0wser on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited September 2006
    You guys totally have our support. If there's any questions you have in your planning, feel free to ask. I'd like to see this thing happen just as much as you guys. After all, the more Supertrips rolling into PAX, the better.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited September 2006
    Just seems like a great way to keep the party going before and after PAX, for a little bit longer, anyway.

I just accepted a job offer in Victoria, so I won't be coming down from the Interior next year, most likely. But maybe we can organize a wacky group trip from here, hooking up with the folks coming from up north and Vancouver.

Samyel on
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    Samyel wrote:
    Just seems like a great way to keep the party going before and after PAX, for a little bit longer, anyway.

I just accepted a job offer in Victoria, so I won't be coming down from the Interior next year, most likely. But maybe we can organize a wacky group trip from here, hooking up with the folks coming from up north and Vancouver.

You best option from Victoria *used* to be a ferry straight to Seattle. I don't really know how the new location impacts the usefullness of that, though.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
    edited September 2006
    I stayed with friends in Vic for a few days, then took the Clipper across to PAX last time. It was... interesting, in a three-gravol tablets and hanging on for dear life kind of way.

Samyel on
  • NintoNinto Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    From Victoria, we went the BC Ferries route to Tsawassen and on down from there, this year.

After since travelling via the Washington State ferries from Sidney-Anacortes, though, I'd prefer to do that next time. It's much more relaxing and scenic, although a little bit more expensive. Not much, though, and we don't have to sit through the damn border lineups.

Having a car in Bellevue was nice, too, although I think it won't be needed next year with the conference being downtown Seattle.

Ninto on
    edited October 2006
    The trip to Tsawassen is a nice hour and a half ferry trip, and if we get a pack of PAXers to mesh schedules, I would be more than happy to provide a large box of board games. I like the idea of a bunch of us taking over a corner of the cafeteria with games and merriment.

Samyel on
    edited October 2006
    Mo1son wrote:
    Forget Peace Arch, use the Pacific Truck Crossing.. the lines are always shorter, and even if it's a long line, you can duck into the duty free and buy a chocolate bar, and you automatically get to cut to within 10 minutes of the border =).

is that the 176th crossing? it would make sense to take that one over Peace Arch, likely moreso during the summer rush times. it took us about half an hour to get through Peace Arch this year, maybe a little longer.

b0wser on
    edited November 2006
    You guys should PM a mod for a sticky

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Mo1sonMo1son Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I've found that the Pacific Truck crossing is faster than Peace Arch, essentially every single time. If the lineup is backed up, you can dodge up almost to the front of the line by buying a chocolate bar at the duty free shop. This has saved my family up to an hour of waiting time before.

Mo1son on
  • TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Ok guys, since I have a free summer this year, I figure I'll man up and take charge of this thing.

I'll get a site going for us and arrange the waypoints and meeting times, with much input from you dudes and lady of course.

Who's interested in partaking?
    I'll need names of some sort or another, your location, and whether you can drive or be driven.

After all the names and locations have been collected, I can put you in contact with others in the same area that you can either get a ride with, or drive. You're all adults, or nearly so, so you can work out the gas splitting/food buying/however else you may wish to pay your way amongst yourselves ;)sexual favours

Where are you thinking you may want to stop for lunch as a group? Good snack places? Shopping? *eyes Degrees* Up to you!

email me at backyardrockfight at gmail dot com with your infos if you wish to be a part of the madness.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
    edited December 2006
    I've already started a bit of the planning, I'll send the wee txt file I've got your way. MoeFwacky did say he'd smack me in the face if I didn't get this trip going, so yeah-- the more organization the better.

b0wser on
  • ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Hmm, so we've already got the WCST and the CCST, perhaps just CST as an acronym?

Edit: Logo'd!
    CST_logo.jpg

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
    edited December 2006
    I thought they would rock WCAST since it's western canada. I like the logo though.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I've sent her the PSD, so she's welcome to try and fit all that on a logo.

Godspeed, you crazy organizer :P

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
    edited December 2006
    it looks decent as my MSN display picture, good work.

b0wser on
    edited December 2006
    Trillian: my original idea was going to create two forks depending on the number of people going, and where they're coming from. These were "West of Abbotsford", and "Abbotsford and Beyond". West of Abbotsford, you're looking at the Pacific Crossing that was mentioned in the thread. For Abbotsford and Beyond, it's easiest to use our short-wait crossing and head south from Sumas.

No matter what, Bellingham is on the route for both groups, so this would serve as a great place for both teams to meet up to converge into one caravan for the rest of the trip. We could even all get together for lunch down there to make it easier. The only snag in that regard would be Vancouver Island attendees who may want to direct ferry, but I think I recall the ability to disembark at Bellingham.

I don't fully know my roster, or how many vehicles there are. I'm trying to rally as many people for the journey as I can, so I'll be revising my list more often as PAX approaches. I'd like to have most atttendance decisions made at least a month in advance, especially if they need to hitch a ride in. Nobody wants to get left behind, and that happens easily when things are left to the last minute. If we can get the for-sure attendees to throw their names & locations in, that'd be awesome.

I'm sure that if we hammer out a base to work with, we'll be able to get some success with this. Moe's said he will help with any suggestions, so that's a plus. The friend I went with this year is a reservist in the military, so he's pretty good with co-ordination and arranging things if we get into a bind. We're not even in January yet, so I'm hoping we should be able to plan it all out decently enough.

If you want to take captaincy for the western fork, I can take the eastern, and we can go forward from there.

edit: I was going to email this, but I figured that group discussion would probably be a better idea.

b0wser on
    edited January 2007
    Ok doggie. Add me to the instant messenger program of your choice so we can iron things out easier!

But I REPEAT!

If you want to be a part of this email me so I have all your information written down by you!!

Thanks!

Trillian on

• aspectaspect Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Myself and 4 others managed to squeeze into my impreza and drive down from victoria last year, and it was really nice to have a car for the 3 days in the states. It's possible I'll have a spare seat or two, but irregardless I'm up for meeting a convoy in the lower mainland.

aspect on
  • de4dmeta1de4dmeta1 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    All up ins on dis shiznit. Any preferred format for the emails?

de4dmeta1 on
    edited January 2007
    Ok doggies. EMAIL ME with your information so I don't have to go through eighty pages of thread by the end of this and sift through who's actually coming and who's not, then try and organize something at the last minute.

EMAIL ME YOUR INFORMATION and I'll plan from there

backyardrockfight@gmail.com is my email address. Use it please!!!!

Don't use the one that's in my profile. It'll get you nowhere!

Trillian on

• MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm driving all the way from Edmonton, so I'm down for this.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • VindexusVindexus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I might be interested. Can we get a seperate site set up for this?

Vindexus on
    edited January 2007
    Did you guys give up already? What about all that Canadian determination I hear so much about.
    Unless I just made that up.

I think I did.

Yeah, I definitely did.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited January 2007
    We've not given up, I'm just not quite exactly sure where to go next. I'm working on recruitment right now, looking at bringing down an entourage from Kamloops.

b0wser on
    edited January 2007
    Recruitment is good an all, but you guys need a route and a map showing that route. Visual aides and all.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited January 2007
    I'll do up some basic maps, segmenting it up like you've done with the CCST.

b0wser on
  • strangemusicstrangemusic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    i am in Vancouver this summer and thus would be very interested in supertripping... last year at the peace arch was less than amazing. I'm attending for sure, i just don't know how yet.

strangemusic on
    "Always be wary of people who use quotes... I don't know who said that" - Murdoc Nicalls.
    Those Eve guys are creepy. :|
  • PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Ok with midterms coming up this week don't get too mad if I don't get any brilliant routing done. Methinks this planning will pick up sometime in April when school ends :D (crap this is T. posting from Pola's wii <teehee>)

Polago on
  • de4dmeta1de4dmeta1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So, anything new on this front? I'll still likely be needin' to make use of the supertrip to get to PAX. (with a little luck, I might even end up being a driver)

de4dmeta1 on
This discussion has been closed.