As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

US Presidential Election: I could have, but didn't

19899100101102104»

• Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    Republicans are pissed. But it is too late to really act. Nonetheless, tonight there are people telling Trump if he does not [v]hand the keys over to Mike Pence[/b], he will lose and his post-loss business and reputation will be irreparably harmed.

Is that even possible?

The ballots are printed, and they say Donald J. Trump.

Regardless of what the party wants, I have a hard time believing there is any way to legally count a vote for Trump as a vote for Pence at the top of the ticket.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Sources are telling me that there is a crisis level meeting happening right now at Trump Tower. Pressure is being brought to bear by RNC and GOP leadership sources against Trump and his team. I’m told to expect “major s**t to hit the fan”.

Republicans are pissed. But it is too late to really act. Nonetheless, tonight there are people telling Trump if he does not hand the keys over to Mike Pence, he will lose and his post-loss business and reputation will be irreparably harmed.

I’m being told members of his family are involved in the conversation.

Other reporters seem to be reporting much the same thing

The GOP is imploding

Yeah, Sean Spicer is claiming that the sources are wrong and the meeting isn't happening, but it's getting a lot of traction still.

Isn't Spicer the guy who, in the same day, tweeted about "Willie Horton-style ads" and then deleted it and claimed it never happened?

Yeah, the meeting is happening.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    glithert wrote: »

I don't know who this guy is, but given how my Twitter feed has exploded with rage about this tweet I'm going to assume he's pretty well known on your side of the Atlantic.

Are you fucking kidding me? You have got to be fucking kidding me.

I kid you not.
    KetBra wrote: »
    Oh holy crap I have JUST remembered that Trump's media advisor is Roger freaking Ailes!

Yep, The Candidate of Old Gross Men, run by Old Gross Men, for the party of Old Gross Men

This is easily the biggest political shitshow I've ever witnessed, and let me tell you that Anglo-Irish politics involves wading through a lot of shit.

WE'RE #1!!! WE'RE #1!!! WE'RE #1!!!

USA!!! USA!!! USA!!!

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Suriko wrote: »
    So, this might be crazytalk, but

Is there any historical precedent for a presidential candidate's VP dropping out?

Eagleton, in 1972.

In a related story...

1972_large.png

Off-topic, but every time I look at this map I wonder why the hell Nixon thought he needed to wiretap the DNC. They were exploding perfectly well without your help, Milhouse!.

Back on topic. I certainly hope the Clinton campaign isn't conducting illegal surveillance on the Trump campaign. Because, again, it's not necessary.

Actually they exploded with his help.

Nixon sabotaged the Democratic campaign.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    So wikileaks dumped their Clinton emails literally minutes after the Trump story broke

yeah they aren't in russia's pocket

They're also really bad at this. Yeah, the press is really gonna play some dry e-mails over the chance to use bad words on the air.

I looked over the writeups

there's literally nothing remotely incriminating in the emails. Like one of Polticios "big points" was Clinton's people organized a media response to Clinton Cash by giving surrogates some talking points. Or that they were careful abot how to talk about the Keystone pipeline OH NOES!

The worst I've seen in the transcript is some stuff about open borders and open trade that make it seem that Clinton envisions a future North American Union akin to the EU. Against a competently-run nationalist campaign, it could make the Rust Belt states in particular awfully close. Against the Trump campaign, though...

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Sources are telling me that there is a crisis level meeting happening right now at Trump Tower. Pressure is being brought to bear by RNC and GOP leadership sources against Trump and his team. I’m told to expect “major s**t to hit the fan”.

Republicans are pissed. But it is too late to really act. Nonetheless, tonight there are people telling Trump if he does not hand the keys over to Mike Pence, he will lose and his post-loss business and reputation will be irreparably harmed.

The GOP is imploding

Yeah, Sean Spicer is claiming that the sources are wrong and the meeting isn't happening, but it's getting a lot of traction still.

This is on the record:

This Zwick's father is a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy (big wigs in LDS). I don't think the Mormons are going to like this

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Hey guys could you all do me a massive solid and remind everyone you can that at the time Trump was caught saying these things on tape Clinton was working on a bill to increase survivor benefit for military families from $12,000 to $100,000?

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    What does "hand over the keys to Pence" mean.

Are they just going to say "oh, all these early voters voted for Trump. They count for Pence now!"

Maybe they don't realize how this works.

If he willingly steps down, then it's POSSIBLE that it'll be legal under the rules they set up. There's an article about it on WaPo https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/10/07/theres-no-longer-any-way-for-republicans-to-boot-donald-trump-from-the-ballot/

Election law is not my thing at all, it's byzantine and weird.

But whether he steps down or not, that makes no sense at all. Votes for Trump are not votes for Pence just because he's on the ticket.

There's a pretty strong argument that it would be an enormous violation of the First Amendment.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Oh, Ted.
    Ted, Ted, Ted.
    If you'd just held out another couple of weeks.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Taximes wrote: »
    Republicans are pissed. But it is too late to really act. Nonetheless, tonight there are people telling Trump if he does not [v]hand the keys over to Mike Pence[/b], he will lose and his post-loss business and reputation will be irreparably harmed.

Is that even possible?

The ballots are printed, and they say Donald J. Trump.

Regardless of what the party wants, I have a hard time believing there is any way to legally count a vote for Trump as a vote for Pence at the top of the ticket.

Given that he same thing happened when wellstone died and absentee ballots for him did not count for Mondale it seems almost certain they could not.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    Not to make light of the hurricane, but I have a hard time not reading CNN's current top two headlines together as one.
    EEPA5rL.png

"Trump in the Gutter...it's going to get a lot worse."

• Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular

Are they just going to say "oh, all these early voters voted for Trump. They count for Pence now!"

If he willingly steps down, then it's POSSIBLE that it'll be legal under the rules they set up. There's an article about it on WaPo https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/10/07/theres-no-longer-any-way-for-republicans-to-boot-donald-trump-from-the-ballot/

But whether he steps down or not, that makes no sense at all. Votes for Trump are not votes for Pence just because he's on the ticket.

There's a pretty strong argument that it would be an enormous violation of the First Amendment.

Freedom of Speech? And think of it this way, if Trump were to die, would all of the votes then not count? I mean, it's just NEVER come up that someone could get to this point and then say, "And I quit the election." There's never been a rule cause that'd be insane, it's like making a law specifically saying that Ducks couldn't run.

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So remember how we had that story about the Trump camp cutting their tv funding in battlegrounds? Someone tipped them off to this I bet.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

I don't know who this guy is, but given how my Twitter feed has exploded with rage about this tweet I'm going to assume he's pretty well known on your side of the Atlantic.

I kid you not.
    Oh holy crap I have JUST remembered that Trump's media advisor is Roger freaking Ailes!

Yep, The Candidate of Old Gross Men, run by Old Gross Men, for the party of Old Gross Men

This is easily the biggest political shitshow I've ever witnessed, and let me tell you that Anglo-Irish politics involves wading through a lot of shit.

USA!!! USA!!! USA!!!

I actually forgot that just this week one UKIP MEP punched another UKIP MEP so hard the guy was hospitalised with suspected brain damage.

Sorry, you're back down to second place.

• Options
    Oh, Ted.
    Ted, Ted, Ted.
    If you'd just held out another couple of weeks.

He is probably kicking himself now. That is for sure. "I told you fuckers and you forced me to cave anyway!"

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Freedom of Speech? And think of it this way, if Trump were to die, would all of the votes then not count? I mean, it's just NEVER come up that someone could get to this point and then say, "And I quit the election." There's never been a rule cause that'd be insane, it's like making a law specifically saying that Ducks couldn't run.

I believe that in the event of a candidate's death, the running mate is elevated to the position. Not sure what happens if the candidate just wishes he was dead.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

It'd be a giant legal shit show since every state has it's own ballot laws and rules governing exactly how electors vote.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Ummm...

Isn't our system one of electing the electoral college, who can throw their votes in any way they want?

Perhaps that's the play - get the electoral college votes for R's, then have them vote for Pence instead of Trump.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

The GOP is imploding

April 30, 2011 is sneakily one of the most important days of this century to date.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular

Votes are speech. The government doesn't get to arbitrarily decide that a vote for A is also a vote for B.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Oh apparently Sean Hannity has been pointing out on air that "King David had 500 concubines for crying out loud!" so I guess he wasn't lost to Trump for long.

• Options
    Technically the electoral college picks the President. If Trump dropped out now, he'd lose because he'd be on the ballot and his supporters would largely not show, or write in an alternative etc. But in theory he could drop out and the electors could go semi-faithless and select an alternative.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh apparently Sean Hannity has been pointing out on air that "King David had 500 concubines for crying out loud!" so I guess he wasn't lost to Trump for long.

oh GOD YES please let the republicans go full-on Biblical

I want them all out there harvesting foreskins

• Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    Ummm...

Isn't our system one of electing the electoral college, who can throw their votes in any way they want?

Perhaps that's the play - get the electoral college votes for R's, then have them vote for Pence instead of Trump.

Every state has rules against faithless electors but they're all worded differently. From what I gather some mention party, some mention the whole ticket, etc

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular

I kid you not.

USA!!! USA!!! USA!!!

I actually forgot that just this week one UKIP MEP punched another UKIP MEP so hard the guy was hospitalised with suspected brain damage.

I thought brain damage was a entrance requirement for UKIP?

• Options
    Ummm...

Every state has rules against faithless electors but they're all worded differently. From what I gather some mention party, some mention the whole ticket, etc

They also can't actually control the vote, at worst they could punish

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    Jason Chaffetz pulled his support for trump, so that's an actual sitting GOP'r that was formerly a trump voter.

http://komonews.com/news/nation-world/utah-lt-gov-says-leaked-video-makes-it-that-much-easier-not-to-support-trump

So two sitting politicos from Utah, will there be more? Are the real knives out?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

If trump were to die his votes would count for trump and we would either install a dead man to then immediately install by law of secession or the vote would go to the house as no one made it to 270 who would elect pence*

So his votes would count they simply could not count for pence. The same thing happened to Dems when wellstone died. Mondale replaced him on the ticket... But absentee ballots were out with Wellstones name and those did not count for Mondale(Mondale lost)

*maybe not actually sure he would be eligible!

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Aridhol wrote: »

I kid you not.

USA!!! USA!!! USA!!!

I thought brain damage was a entrance requirement for UKIP?

Cognitive disorder. Lot of people get those two mixed up.

• Options
    by the GOP's rules Pence doesn't even get the nomination automatically if Trump drops out. they have to meet and pick a new nominee

• Options
    tynic wrote: »

*covers groin meekly*

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Ummm...

That's the best part: Even that varies state by state. Some of them are bound, some aren't.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Speaking of Mormons, Utah's 3rd Rep and all around asshole Jason Chaffetz has withdrawn his endorsement.
    Chaffetz, a Republican representing Utah’s Third Congressional District, appeared on Fox 13 News at Nine Friday, saying: “I’m out. I can no longer in good conscience endorse this person for president. It is some of the most abhorrent and offensive comments that you can possibly imagine.”

Rep. Chaffetz said he and his wife have a 15-year-old daughter, and he said if he can’t look her in the eye and tell her about what Trump said he can’t endorse the man.

While Chaffetz said he isn’t sure who he will vote for, he said it’s a shame Mike Pence isn’t at the top of the ticket. He also said Trump’s response to the criticism was an apology for getting caught, not an apology for his behavior.

Earlier Friday, Utah Gov. Gary Herbert also reacted to the footage and stated he would not vote for Donald Trump.

Jon Huntsman Jr also withdrew his endorsement

ed
    Dunked on

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

*covers groin meekly*

I think you're safe as long as you're not a Philistine.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    The part that bugs me is that everyone knew he was like this, and his supporters loved it. This isn't a surprise, it was just recorded in private!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

*covers groin meekly*

I think you're safe as long as you're not a Philistine.

how highly do I have to appreciate art on a scale of 1-100 before I'm safely out of the philistine zone

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    The part that bugs me is that everyone knew he was like this, and his supporters loved it. This isn't a surprise, it was just recorded in private!

People knew he was a scumbag, people did not know he was an admitted rapist who believes he deserves to assault women.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular

That's the case with most scandals. Usually it's not suprising if you've actually been paying attention.

• Options
    Road Block wrote: »

That's the case with most scandals. Usually it's not suprising if you've actually been paying attention.

I expect one hell of a raisin on John Oliver's desk.

This discussion has been closed.