As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MTG]-Cataclysmic Gearhulk is Awful and I Hate It And You Should Too

• KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    The entire concept of a sealed pptq scares/bothers the shit out of me

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Knob wrote: »

how come?

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited October 2016

Yeah it seems really weird. The possibility to be completely screwed by a bad pool seems too high.

In other news, Night Market Lookout into Smugglers Copter is very silly and good.

Rainfall on
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    KalTorak wrote: »

how come?

Paying a bunch, possibly taking time off work and traveling, giving up 3/4ths of my day to possibly open a garage fire of a pool

Scary

So I'm 3-1, feeling good about going 4-1 which gets me top 8, top 8 is a draft?? And I've drafted exactly once before.

So... who knows what's gonna happen.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »

HEY DAWG WANNA TRADE MANA VAULTS?

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

how come?

Paying a bunch, possibly taking time off work and traveling, giving up 3/4ths of my day to possibly open a garage fire of a pool

Scary

fair enough

a sealed PPTQ is the only comp REL event I've ever top 8'd, but it was a low cost-of-entry (stand-by judge so free entry, local LGS so no travel time). I have a soft spot for them.

Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Whippy wrote: »

HEY DAWG WANNA TRADE MANA VAULTS?

pfff, that Mana Vault is nothing compared to my Womana Vault
    204.jpg

I'M TOP 8 HECK YEE

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Sealed GPTs ain't no thang, and I'd imagine PPTQs are no different. Now the actual PTQ being a sealed would be different. I'd done a few of those back in MMD and MD5 in Seattle and it was unreal because of the variance in power level at common/uncommon. Lately, the disparity in power level in sealed pools isn't as hinged on commons and uncommons, but on rares and/or synergy, and I think the power curve is a bit more flattened now.

• APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Id love to go to a Sealed PPTQ in my area just because itd be fun to play in a higher stakes event.

And I only play Limited since Lanterns not done yet.

Well, I still can't draft for shit and I should really practise online or something, but hey, top 8 is cool. Good way to spend a day!

• DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    top8 for a pptq you might not have gone to is pretty good yeah

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    so

what is a pptq

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    edited October 2016
    so

what is a pptq

Preliminary Pro Tour Qualifier, winners get an invite to the Regional Pro Tour Qualifier.

Rainfall on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    so

what is a pptq

a hipster bbq

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    so

what is a pptq

a hipster bbq

"The extra P stands for PYOPP"

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    so

what is a pptq

a hipster bbq

"The extra P stands for PYOPP"

I get this reference!

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

how come?

Scary

While true, I still prefer competitive Sealed to chasing down singles to even pretend to have a competitive Constructed deck.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    That feeling when you're on the ropes, but have panharmonicon, fabrication module, and multiform wonder on the field.
    Then get 2 creatures with ETB get energy effects, and swing for 13 in the air.

All the modules have been fun with the right support; most recently I had Fabrication Module going with Dynavolt Tower. Suddenly Attune with the Aether is one green mana for a land, 4 energy, and two +1/+1 counters, ditto Live Fast/Die Young.

If you like Modules...

You MIGHT want to watch LSVs stream from Friday night. Particularly the second draft.

It was the greatest thing I've ever seen

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    I'm 9-5 at GP London, about to go into round 15.

A win nets me a pro point.

This weekend was my first experience of sealed and draft Kaladesh.

...I think I like it.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    i really like Kaladesh draft but I'd really appreciate it if I could try out some of these decks rather than getting flooded or screwed every round.

*stomps around like an angry toddler*

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I heard there was a good R/G energy deck for standard that was competitive but I can't find a list anywhere. Has anyone seen one?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    I was trying but after seeing what the rw decks were doing I wasn't convinced my list was better

I think rg wants to play kessig prowlers and the red one drop werewolf kinda like the rw has its one drops because it makes crewing copters smoother, but the rg deck seemed to just have too many two drops that are worth playing but way less impressive when played off curve so I ended up just switching decks

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    I heard there was a good R/G energy deck for standard that was competitive but I can't find a list anywhere. Has anyone seen one?

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/478771#online

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/standard-g-r-energy#online

those are the 2 general versions running around atm.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
    edited October 2016
    second build is way better, I don't think attune with aether is needed or that renegade is very good but thats just me. my build was similar to that one but with 2 fleedwheels and 2 hydras instead of 4 hydras, and copters + not playing those other things

but all those two drops feel way less good when played after 2 so I kinda shitcanned the whole thing and is probably where id make cuts for prowler/R one drop werewolf. most of the energy creatures are pretty self sufficient and you really dont need to overload on generators to do damage. if you have extra/leftover its kinda just a bonus not a goal

edit: also that manabase has no reason not to play cinder glade/game trail but that goes without saying, also incendiary flow over nature's way

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
    second build is way better, I don't think attune with aether is needed or that renegade is very good but thats just me. my build was similar to that one but with 2 fleedwheels and 2 hydras instead of 4 hydras, and copters + not playing those other things

but all those two drops feel way less good when played after 2 so I kinda shitcanned the whole thing and is probably where id make cuts for prowler/R one drop werewolf. most of the energy creatures are pretty self sufficient and you really dont need to overload on generators to do damage. if you have extra/leftover its kinda just a bonus not a goal

edit: also that manabase has no reason not to play cinder glade/game trail but that goes without saying, also incendiary flow over nature's way

Im not seeing a Renegade anything (I assumed you meant Freighter) in either list, but Freighter IS a card I'd actually be interested in testing if I did Standard. I mean, Copter is straight better, of course, but Freighter is just so surprisingly good in Limited that Id be interesting in testing it. Also - and I think this is gonna get said a lot going forward - both of those decks need Smugglers Copter.

I did note the Electrostatic Pummler in the list and I think thats.... just no. That card is just bad. REALLY BAD. If it was a two drop, MAYBE itd be worth looking into... but its just a really bad card. Its a tiny bit better in a format where Lilliana is seeing a downtick, but it still dies to SO MUCH and requires SO MUCH work before it can even attack into, well, anything.

Oh, speaking of Nature's Way. That card is real awesome in Limited, but yeah its not a Constructed one. R&D does seem to slowly pushing where they can go with these Green Punch You cards - we've gone from Rabid Bite (Common) to Natures Way (Uncommon, adds Vigilance and Trample), but both are Sorcery. I wonder if we have a Instant speed 1G Punch spell coming someday soon and if that would be good enough for Constructed.

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    fall of the hammer didn't cut it so i don't know why a 1G version would!

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i played fall of the hammer in budget heroic and boy people did not play around it

liEt3nH.png
    fall of the hammer didn't cut it so i don't know why a 1G version would!

True! Forgot about that one!

Also, Stephen Neals deck is insaaaaaaane at the GP. He's got double Panharmonicon

also i'm trying to make adjustments to that grixis emerge deck bc i think i'm gonna drag it to game day unless something cooler shows up at the pro tour. I would play spells but after doing some testing I really don't know if spells has what it takes right now.

I wanna fit the robo foxes into the deck but i'm not sure what to cut. 4 Cathartic Reunion is so fucking many and i'm really not impressed with scrapheap scrounger?

Scrapheap is a real good card. Like SUPER good, but I think it needs a more aggressive home to really shine since - yknow - cant block. The problem is aggressive decks arent running stuff like Cathartic Reunion or Grapple to fill their yard to make it really sing. Its an interesting conundrum.

i legitimately do not think it is good in the grixis deck but fuck, what do i know

i legitimately do not think it is good in the grixis deck but fuck, what do i know

Yeah, you may be right there. Grixis Emerge isnt super aggressive, right? Its more of a midrangey.. comboy thing... trying to get out your Emerge bombs.

But hell I know even less than you! Ive never played a game of Standard since I played my goofy mill deck in RTR/THS.

It has the amalgam/haunted dead package which is why i'm wondering if it's right to replace scrapheap at all, but i'm expecting so much aggro that a 2 drop that doesn't block just plain sucks. I might do a 2/2 split and cut something else to add the third fox.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Why are the packs already opened for this draft?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Up JobUp Job Registered User regular
    The judges or whoever open up the packs first to mark the cards with a stamp so they can tell if someone tries to slip in cards from outside the draft. They otherwise leave the packs the same.

This discussion has been closed.