As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Android: Netrunner and Project Nisei

• FryFry Registered User regular
    Finally a deck that wants Savoir Faire, you think?

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Lykouragh wrote: »
    Algo trading also pretty good on Nasir I think.

"pretty good"

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    New preview article about New Angeles.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I want to like New Angeles, but I'm pretty wary of it so far. That article in particular going out of its way to try and differentiate itself from a semi-cooperative experience is just too much marketing push. Like, sure, great, you have the bad mission cards from secret mission risk and one of the shittiest aspects of Archipelago (the role that wants to make the game win). It'll probably be fine, but these are some weird things to make into bullet points you're trying to push. :/

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I want to like New Angeles, but I'm pretty wary of it so far. That article in particular going out of its way to try and differentiate itself from a semi-cooperative experience is just too much marketing push. Like, sure, great, you have the bad mission cards from secret mission risk and one of the shittiest aspects of Archipelago (the role that wants to make the game win). It'll probably be fine, but these are some weird things to make into bullet points you're trying to push. :/

what! the sympathiser is one of my favourite parts of Archipelago! Just its mere existence throws a spanner in the game that changes things up in a really interesting way.

Anzekay wrote: »

what! the sympathiser is one of my favourite parts of Archipelago! Just its mere existence throws a spanner in the game that changes things up in a really interesting way.

It's not that I think it's 100% bad, and from a design angle I can see why they wanted it, but from a play angle it's a much less subtle traitor mechanism in non-co-op games. That someone is basically trying to suicide the players from the outset when these games do not normally want that can be a really shitty dynamic to deal with when you are not the suiciding player. I'm just not a fan. But hey, speaks better of your chances with New Angeles anyway.

• CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    Won an ANRPC qualifier today with Whizz and NEH.

£50 store credit, AA Haley, Brain Damage tokens, AA Bank Job and 2 AA Pol Op was what I got for winning. Insane prize support.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I heard a disgusting rumor that you can't play a tournament with clear sleeves because promo cards are marked. Is this true? Can't you just get your deck inspected before a tournament?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    I heard a disgusting rumor that you can't play a tournament with clear sleeves because promo cards are marked. Is this true? Can't you just get your deck inspected before a tournament?

From the official FAQ:

"If a player’s deck contains alternate art cards, the sleeves must be art sleeves or opaque."

Sorry man, looks like it's back to Hearthstone for you. :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    MNC Dover wrote: »

From the official FAQ:

"If a player’s deck contains alternate art cards, the sleeves must be art sleeves or opaque."

This one's simple, I'll just have to not use the promo cards. I only have three alternate Bank Jobs.

MNC Dover wrote: »

From the official FAQ:

This one's simple, I'll just have to not use the promo cards. I only have three alternate Bank Jobs.

Sorry man, no penny sleeves here. <3
    For the record, this is pretty reasonable because the Netrunner promos aren't made through normal means. The colours are a bit different, and the cards are physically a different size. Hence you need opaque sleeves so you can't see these things and know what they are. It's not ideal, but I was under the impression literally any card game with a true competitive tournament structure had similar rules, so it's not a radical difference.
    But yeah, if you don't have that then playing without the AAs is pretty much the answer ...

I think the more recent promos are a little better crafted, aren't they? I know the first couple of promos (e.g. Adonis Campaign) were significantly larger than regular cards, like visible from several seats away.

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    It's because they make their promo cards in-house, while the regular cards are made at a factory in China. Even if they copy the method exactly, the cards are still going to turn out slightly different, enough that it's noticeable sans-sleeves.

That said, all the Netrunner card sleeves are pretty sweet, and really just Ultra-Pros will be enough. You play the game enough, you'll want nice sleeves eventually. Avoid the yellow Ultra-Pro sleeves though, they're not quite opaque enough and you can sometimes still make out differences.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    ultra pros are cheap and adequate, they are the standard by which other sleeves are judged

I have moved on to KMC hyper mats, though

If WotC never gives Netrunner a direct game, it would make a sweet Telltale game instead.

Oh thank Satan, they finally added a option on NRDB where you can turn off auto-loading of images in deck descriptions.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • EpimerEpimer Registered User regular
    I spoke to someone at a non-Netrunner event this week who said they thought it looked really interesting and they wanted to try it, but they were put off by the theme. They would be much more interested, they said, if it was a traditional creature dueling game.

It's always interesting to run into people who have exactly the opposite opinion to you about something.

edited October 2016
    yeah that's crazy to me

the theme is 100% what got me interested in Netrunner when I started

Shorty on
    edited October 2016
    It *is* kind of interesting that there isn't more of a traditional monster-battling game in the LCG lineup. I think the closest there will be in FFG's lineup is Star Wars: Destiny (not a LCG, though), and that isn't technically one since most of your dudes start in play.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    I think FFG has wisely decided that there isn't a lot of space in the cardboard market for that kind of game, not with MTG and Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Epimer wrote: »
    I spoke to someone at a non-Netrunner event this week who said they thought it looked really interesting and they wanted to try it, but they were put off by the theme. They would be much more interested, they said, if it was a traditional creature dueling game.

It's always interesting to run into people who have exactly the opposite opinion to you about something.

I can understand that line of thought though. Certain themes do absolutely nothing for me. Stuff like Pirates, Sailing, and Steampunk just are boring to me.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    cyberpunk, Star Wars, and 40k are pretty much the only themes that interest me these days

though I do have a minor obsession with medieval japan and things inspired by it (holdover from my teenage years when, like almost every nerd, I was really into ninjas and swords and junk)

which is why I'm definitely going to give L5R a shot when it comes out next year

Ugh, the L5R reboot's still 10 months out. Want info on it nooooooooooow.

Maybe something will come up at Worlds. I assume it's going to be on the November track in regards to store champs, taking Conquest's spot.

persona4celestia.jpg

I'm trying to imagine how to reskin Netrunner's gameplay to be about battling creatures and am drawing a blank on how that theme would make any sense.

Our Prince of Surfers team tournament event this weekend was a blast! We had 6 teams (24 people total), so we just did a five round round-robin-style tournament. I ended up helping to run/judge, but three of us organizers had built 7 decks so that we could all help fill teams that didn't quite have four people (and the other two did in fact do that). The winning team was Hollywood Renovation, same team that will be competing in King of Servers at Worlds, led by Jon Dalesandry (who posted a perfect 10-0 record!). If you're going, watch out for them!

• redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Fry wrote: »

I'm trying to imagine how to reskin Netrunner's gameplay to be about battling creatures and am drawing a blank on how that theme would make any sense.

Some random castle defense with magic. Or like, more fun your the commander of a bunch of Vikings and they raid European cities.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Fry wrote: »

https://killscreen.com/articles/inside-lacerunner-victorian-era-redux-netrunner

Not quite the same, but.

If I were to do it D&D style, the runners would be Divine (clerics, paladins, druids), Martial (Fighters, Barbarians, Rangers), and Arcane (Sorcerers, Wizard, Bards). Hardware is magic gear, resources are your merry men/adventuring party, events are blessings/tactical maneuvers/rituals, icebreakers are spells, fighting styles, or the boons of gods.

Corps would be Undead, Demons, Abberations, and Tyrants (evil kings and such). Ice would be monsters (brutes/mages/skulkers?), operations are curses (currents could be raids or coups), assets are war machines/artefacts/leylines, and agendas are the actual evil things they're trying to do (kill the prince, convert the priest, blow up the moon).

Carnarvon on
    edited October 2016
    next cycle announced

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/10/10/daedalus-complex/

it seems the way they have decided to make Weyland good is by giving them FA tools

:/

Shorty on
    HOLY SH*T MARS MUTHA FUKKAS!

Score random agenda, install Tech Startup, rez Oberth Protocol, score Atlas, find an Atlas, score Atlas, find an Atlas, score Atlas, find Hostile, win the game.

And people complained about astro trains.

Carnarvon wrote: »
    Score random agenda, install Tech Startup, rez Oberth Protocol, score Atlas, find an Atlas, score Atlas, find an Atlas, score Atlas, find Hostile, win the game.

I mean, Titan kind of does this already, especially if they have a rezzed SanSan. And you can still only score one agenda per round. But it's a nice pseudo-SanSan.
    (Also keep in mind after this cycle Atlas is gone.)

yeah I think this may actually be what W needs for a viable archetype that doesn't depend on asset spam

we'll see though

Shorty wrote: »
    next cycle announced

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/10/10/daedalus-complex/

it seems the way they have decided to make Weyland good is by giving them FA tools

:/

Wow, that makes for some amazing jank. Fast advance a 5/3? Use Archer almost never advance one?

Psudomodenism decks seem like they could be strong.

Shorty wrote: »
    I think FFG has wisely decided that there isn't a lot of space in the cardboard market for that kind of game, not with MTG and Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh

In the OP, I personally interpret ICE as Pokémon or SMT Demons.

I mean, Titan kind of does this already, especially if they have a rezzed SanSan. And you can still only score one agenda per round. But it's a nice pseudo-SanSan.

Right, but this doesn't require you to use Titan or influence. We're talking about a Blue Sun deck that still has 15 influence ready to throw at good ice or tagging tools. You've also got the ability to FA 4/2s.

HOLY SH*T MARS MUTHA FUKKAS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=731ZuP8iLnE

• Dis'Dis' Registered User regular

Right, but this doesn't require you to use Titan or influence. We're talking about a Blue Sun deck that still has 15 influence ready to throw at good ice or tagging tools. You've also got the ability to FA 4/2s.

Probably won't be that good - the 2 trash on Oberth is pretty bad with hostiles, plus if you want to use it to FA and come out ahead (i.e 2 agendas) its got to survive in the remote for three turns at least.

If you can keep something cheap to trash alive in a remote during the midgame you were probably winning anyway ;).

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think Dis is right. It's a nice must-trash asset you can slap a PriSec or something on to make the trash hurt, but yeah, rezzing it is pretty costly and keeping it alive is as difficult as keeping an agenda safe over several turns i.e. very. So you only want to rez one during the game, but keeping that one alive is likely too difficult to do to make it a particularly viable strategy.

The new ID I dunno about. How many things make you forfeit agendas? You can FA a 5/3 with Oberth and a Hostile Takeover if you're running this ID, which is nice. And I guess if you do it on the runner's turn that's even better, as long as you had an agenda already installed and left alone during the runner's turn.

Still, seems a touch janky to make me think Weyland is drawing level with the other corps any time soon.

I saw a lot of Boom at the weekend GNK. All in NBN, of course.

• Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Oberth is an upgrade which is at least something.

Thinking about it I could see a Jemison deck if Weyland get something awesome to 24/7, as then you can trigger the ability on your turn without requiring anything pre-installed.

But then you run into the whole not being able protect your agendas thing.

Maybe a strong never advance game with false lead and possibly enhanced login protocol?

Steal this unadvanced 5/3 first click, or I score it seems ok.