As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Malifaux]2 Ed- Ripples of Fate! Victorian Horror skirmishgame

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    And now I'm going to a small Malifaux tournament in a couple of weeks. I've never done anything like this before! Where does the madness end?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Tournaments are good, and small tournaments are better if you've never done it before as they tend to attract less of the more competitive crowd. I've been meaning to start going to Malifaux tournaments for a while but I always seem to be busy when they come up.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Despite my disgruntlement at the henchman for how he does things, I am thinking about going to the 35ss tourney. Thinking of changing it up a bit and running Gremlins. Currently looking at:

So'mer with Family Tree
    Old Cranky
    Lenny
    Trixibelle with A Gun for a Lady
    Slop Hauler
    Bayou Gremlin
    Bayou Gremlin

Not sure if I want to drop Lenny and bring something a bit more offensive though, like Burt.

A while ago Nathan was talking about getting guest artists in to do art pieces set in Malifaux. First artist in was Tommy Castillo and people voted for his art to be the Dreamer. They showed a black and white work in progress today. His take is an older Dreamer (which fits the current fluff).

dreamerpencils.thumb.jpg.7e5a89f3c7bd9d4dbc2524683e21d8d8.jpg

edited October 2016
    First play against Ramos last night. So many spiders! It was also my first play against someone caring about scrap/corpse markers which was interesting.

I was ahead when he had to duck out at end turn 3. He made the fatal mistake of leaving Howard Langston exposed and he was melted in a round of the Lucius/Dashel/Riflemen curtain of lead. A fun trick when it works but unlikely to work against the same opponent twice! That said, when they've cottoned on just the threat of it gives you some good area control.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    Howard takes some real punishment doesn't he? When the Brass Arachnid can give him Reactivate he really hurts. When my brother used him, he charged and nearly killed Nekima. I had to use my whole hand cheating flips and half of my SS cahe in damage prevention to keep her alive. Then it took the combined efforts of Nekima, Lilith, a Terror Tot and a Black Blood Shaman to bring him down.

In the end though the last point of damage was dont by Nekima hurting herself which caused him to die from Black Blood and he spawned me another Terror Tot.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Man, the Divergent Paths fluff is fucking dark.
    The woman has been skinned alive and the child has an army of puppets trying to murder her parents....

• NisiNisi Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I just recently played my first Ramos game. I made a lot of mistakes really. Also wasn't really impressed with Brass Arachnid. I only had cards to pull off the reactivate on turn 1. Looking forward to getting a chance to try Ramos again. Playing an extraction game tonight that has Hunting Party in the scheme list though so I'm thinking of going with Mei instead.

Nisi on
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Ramos is all about locking down Objectives.

Line in the Sand, that strategy where you need to control table quarters, Ramos excels at all of them.

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    My second crew box, Hamelin, arrived yesterday! I'm hoping to get to try out just a box vs. box game with the Mah Tucket box this weekend.

I'm sure I can coerce at least one friend into it.

edited October 2016
    @Surfpossum I'd go easy on the person using just Hamelins starter. It's not a great set to run by itself. It basically needs the Brotherhood of the Rat story encounter to get all of the models. Anyone starting Hamelin is generally recommended to buy both sets, as his rat engine won't work without it. As a basic starter vs starter it shouldn't be too bad, but he's going to not have access to what makes Hamelin, well, Hamelin.
    Burnage wrote: »
    Man, the Divergent Paths fluff is fucking dark.
    The woman has been skinned alive and the child has an army of puppets trying to murder her parents....

Yeah, when I read the first two weeks stuff I thought it they were going interesting places. Then I saw the second second set of fluff and it got surprisingly dark. Then I read what may be coming and... wow. Good to see them embracing the horror aspect of the fluff again thought, I think it fell by the wayside a bit with M2E to get the game a bit more mainstream. I love the horror aspect.

-Loki- on
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    My second crew box, Hamelin, arrived yesterday! I'm hoping to get to try out just a box vs. box game with the Mah Tucket box this weekend.

I'm sure I can coerce at least one friend into it.

I'm going to assume the reason we haven't heard from you is that you jumped off a cliff after trying to put Hamelin's crazy-ass model together.

Look at this crap: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/54fe412ce4b0c449f7369857/t/55c8a3cfe4b0d290d9e4b02f/1439212499637/?format=1500w

The smart thing to do is leave the poo swarm off. It's not attached anywhere - Wyrd actually said they did that because they know people would not want it. Model looks fine without it.

Heh. "Poo swarm."

I like the model that comes with his old avatar.
    8471998465_6f3e0d375a_b.jpg

The whole piece is really thematic, it's a shame avatars didn't work out.

The Dreamer's is also bonkers cool:
    img54dcc9e18e034.jpg

No-Quarter wrote: »
    Heh. "Poo swarm."

I like the model that comes with his old avatar.
    8471998465_6f3e0d375a_b.jpg

The whole piece is really thematic, it's a shame avatars didn't work out.

Wyrd evidently agrees with you. This is the retro Hamelin you can get with Guilders.

Malifaux+Vintage+-+Hamelin.png?format=500w

edited October 2016
    Hrrrnnnghhh

Must. Not. Buy. New. Crew.

Especially a horde list.

e- The feather in his cap sells it, but is probably teensy and stupid hard to glue

No-Quarter on
    Like Misaki, I like that vintage master enough to buy the crew if I managed to get it, but I dislike the standard master model enough that I won't start them unless I get that model.

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I haven't even gotten to Hamelin himself, but yes this is nonsensical.

Wyrd pls.

That flutey version is aces, tho. I'd happily take on the feather in exchange for the swarm.

-Loki- wrote: »
    Like Misaki, I like that vintage master enough to buy the crew if I managed to get it, but I dislike the standard master model enough that I won't start them unless I get that model.

Wow, you prefer old Misaki over new?

edited October 2016
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »

Wow, you prefer old Misaki over new?

Yeah. The new model is really not for me. I get what they were going for, but I just don't like the pose at all, there's no focal point. The vintage Misaki is a more classic looking martial arts pose and you can actually tell what's going on with the model.

Thinking of a more damage oriented list for the 35ss tourney.

Ophelia - My Threatining Gun
    Trixibelle
    Raphael
    Sammy
    Slop Hauler
    2 Bayou Gremlins

Basically, the Bayou Gremlins are cheap activations and scheme runners. The Slop Hauler keeps damaged Gremlins up. Trixibelle pushes enemy scheme runners away and Sammy turns any that manage to get their scheme down into a Stuffed Piglet. Ophelia and Raphael delete models from the table.

-Loki- on
    edited October 2016
    Now that I've got the stuff I need for my Bayou board (minus some scatter terrain like walls that I'll sort out), I'm now planning another one. Given the breeze it was with pre-coloured Plastcraft stuff and a mat, I'm going with that again. This time, I feel a bit Asian inspired and I'm doing a Ten Thunders board with Fukei stuff. Current plan is to use Rakes Corner from Deep Cut:
    rakes-corner-3x3-600x600.jpg

And a few choice terrain pieces from Plastcraft.
    torii-and-bridge.jpg
    feudal-dwelling-set.jpg
    dojo.jpg
    horse-stable.jpg

Should make for a fun board. The water running up the middle makes it a bit different, but with three bridges (when using the plastcraft bridge) there's ample means to cross it unhindered. Plus the fences included with the Dojo and stable should make good additional scatter terrain.

-Loki- on
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Got around to reading the Ripples of Fate fluff.
    Seemed kind of weird that Anna Lovelace was being made out to be a major villain for a chunk of it, when she's only a Henchman in game. Almost makes me wonder if she's going to get upgraded to Master status at some point.

Burnage on
    edited October 2016
    It was also quite the kick in teeth for poor old Hoffman.

That final line for Lucius was gold however.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited October 2016
    Burnage wrote: »
    Got around to reading the Ripples of Fate fluff.
    Seemed kind of weird that Anna Lovelace was being made out to be a major villain for a chunk of it, when she's only a Henchman in game. Almost makes me wonder if she's going to get upgraded to Master status at some point.

Taelor is pretty heavy in Outcast fluff but she's only a henchman. Just depends who the writers want to write about.

Looking at the reactions to the new masters in the month leading up to gencon, and the last month now that they've officially been out in the wild, is funny. My favorites are:

Before Gencon
    Titania: OMG broken. Resser durability on a Neverborn with that much scheme marker control and self healing? OMG.
    Zipp: Insignificant master? Beyond terrible. Never be a seriously taken master.
    Reva: Interesting gimmick, attacking through corpse markers. Probably won't be first teir.

After gencon.
    Titania - Neverborn players. Really durable but can't do much damage.
    Titania - Resser players: Play her like a resser master, she's pretty good.
    Titania - Neverborn players: How do you play a resser master?
    Zipp: OMG SO BROKEN.
    Reva: Single handedly destroyed competitive play.

I'm guessing that in another few months when people have learned more about them, the dust will settle and things will be back to normal.

-Loki- on
    Found out when the local Malifaux day is. I might start turning up to get some games in. The one game every few months I get with my brother doesn't really cut it.

edited October 2016
    Tournament day tomorrow!

Turns out it's on the same day as a fairly big tournament elsewhere so might be fairly quiet, which suits me. 9 confirmed people so far, 4 of whom are from my gaming group, and a 16 man event prize pack so odds are good of someone getting something!

You submit a 100ss list from which you pick your crew for each game. Even borrowing a couple of Witchling Stalkers from someone my list includes the lines:

"1 of every upgrade Lucius can take - 16ss
    1 of every upgrade Dashel can take - 11ss"

And still comes in at only 90ss total.

Basic plan is Lucius, Scribe, Dashel, 2 x Warden, 2 x Riflemen, 1 x Lawyer and the last slot to be either a second Lawyer or a Witchling stalker based on how much Horror I'm expecting to see. Jettison the riflemen for stalkers and guild guard (usually being saved for summoning) if we get random deployment.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited October 2016
    Good luck! 9 players and a 16 player price pack means just about everyone should be walking away with something, and a hefty amount of Guilders. Each pack contains 2 crew sized mystery boxes, 4 small mystery boxes, 2 foil master cards and 31 scrip tokens worth 1 scrip each and 1 token worth 3 (for the winner). So split amongst 9 people... wow. Only one person will walk away without some kind of physical prize, but that person will still get probably 3 Guilders.

I wish my henchman was that good.

I've noticed after looking over Gremlins to make a crew, there's so much more freedon than other crews. While some have subtype keywords like Tri-Chi and Kin, the vast majority of rules simply refer to the Gremlin keyword. This makes list building really freeing. Hainvg So'mer with models from Mah's and Ophelias boxes and unaffiliated models like Burt not only works, but also fits the chaotic and random nature of Gremlins.

-Loki- on
    9 entrants and the TO as a ringer in the end.

I came 5th with two wins which I'm happy with. Especially as only one person managed a 3 win sweep.

The prize pack was half what you listed so I was just short of the prizes but nothing was anything I would have used anyway.

My loss was a complete drubbing but to the guy who took the top prize. Ended with just Lucius left and him only on two wounds remaining.

Good fun but mentally draining. The feeling of the ticking clock really adds to the pressure!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    thats the funny thing about tournaments for me, I can handle 3 games a day but a game like guild ball or this wher eyou can play upwards of 5 games, is just rough like a dog. Seriously im so punchy by the end of a tournment i can't think.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

edited October 2016
    I've got that issue with Infinity. I've only done one tournament but three games in a row is really rough. I can do two games in a row okay, but by the end of the second I just want it done. That third game in a tournament I've just lost all interest.

I think Malifaux I could do it though. Infinity has much more flipping through books for obscure rules that only come up every so often that add to the complexity, but Malifaux is a much simpler system.

@Jam Warrior did they not have Guilders to give out? If they had a Wyrd tournament pack, they would have had a lot of Guilders to hand out. The idea is meant to be everyone gets two Guilders, the winner gets three, last place gets one (hence a winners '3' Guilder and 31 '1' Guilders). So even if they split it in half (understandable if there's only half the expected attendance) there's no reason to not give out Guilders.

-Loki- on
    I think you're thinking of the 32 man prize pack whereas this was a 16 man pack. Hence one guilder each and the 3 for the winner.

Yup got my guilder, though I imagine due to needing to pay international postage both ways to redeem them they'll just be a novelty collectable for me even if I did manage to scrape 5 together.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Ah yeah I must have been looking at the 32 player pack.

There's ways they could have done Guilders that don't require post (for example having scratch off panels with codes or barcodes) but the safest for everyone is just posting them back.

Considering the vintage model doesn't cost you other than the Guilders you can just think of the postage as the payment for a pretty LE model. That is if any appeal.

Wyrd have said they'd be adding more stuff to the Guilder program so it might be worth hanging onto them if none of the vintage masters are appealing.

edited October 2016
    Also talking to the Henchman, apparently in the last few days Wyrd announced a crackdown on tournament pack abuse and want to see evidence of the event being advertised before you can order a prize pack.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited October 2016
    Also talking to the Henchman, apparently in the last few days Wyrd announced a crackdown on tournament pack abuse and want to see evidence of the event being advertised before you can order a prize pack.

Fantastic. Also, this may coincide with the complete quiet from my henchman. His 35ss tournament has not eventuated.

My nephew was at the store yesterday having a game and the henchman was there and didn't mention anything about the tournament.

-Loki- on
    Plastcraft have decided to do their original Malifaux line as a ColourED range! I love this terrain set, but held off because I hate painting terrain. I really like the Bayou set, so I'll be grabbing for sure.

14589632_10153981677771439_2020421202963764006_o.jpg

Having now built the, literal tiny child, Changelings I am filled with a great sympathy for gremlin players. Well built 2 out of 3. They look fun but I can't see myself ever taking three of the them.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Gremlins are a whole other level of shit.

We're talking about separate feet, three or four part heads, separate ears, four or five part guns (fuck you Rami), etc. Sometimes, very rarely, you get something that's easy to put together, like Trixibelle in 4 parts (!!!) or Sammy Lacroix, and other times you get plastic salad.

Wow. Those gremlins are just... Wow.

Anyway. Victory vs Misaki in a 4hr epic showdown. Highlights including a single card damage flip to do the last 1hp damage to my Lawyer coming up Black Joker and screwing over a lot of carefully laid plans.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited October 2016
    Aahh, the Black Joker. Many a game that has ruined. It's strange that it tends to come up on that flip you just have to make.

But even knowing that, I tend to discard it if I get it in my hand. I feel it's the right thing to do. After all, Bad Things Happen.

And yeah. Building Gremlins is just the worst. They make up for it being super fun to paint due to being really fun sculpts and so small that you're never painting one part for very long. I realised this going through the Bayou Gremlins. Base colour, wash, layer, highlight here and there takes no time at all because there's just not much to paint.

edit - Hahaha oh man Divergant Paths. If Gremlins win the Self-Righteous Man this time, he meets Trixibelle, gets drunk, and wakes up married to her. So he gets progressively drunker at the wedding to 'forget things that are happening' and not piss off all the Gremlin rednecks with guns. Hahahahahahah! They better fucking win this time. That's hilarious.

-Loki- on
    In my quest to pimp my Malifaux to the max I now have a fancy MtG deck box for all my cards, some nice tokens and will soon be ordering a rubber play mat. Plenty of scenery already at my club.

Any other extravagances to add to my play experience and feed my attempts to sate my frustrated desire to be playing whilst at work with internet purchasing?

MhCw7nZ.gif