As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX South 2017 Panel Submissions are Open! Who wants to do a Pinny Panel?

evanephrineevanephrine ev-an-eff-rinnSeattle, WARegistered User regular
edited October 2016 in Pinny Arcade
Hey all! Now that the panel submissions are open let's keep the tradition of community-driven panels about our shared hobby going by crafting together the perfect blend of passion, organization, knowledge, excitement, and most importantly public speaking ability.

A while ago we had a big discussion about how the panels are put together, namely panelist selection, and for the first pinny panel of 2k17 I'd like to try something to make sure that everyone who wants to add to the panel and community has a chance to do so. Here's my proposal:
  1. We have to choose a panel leader who will choose the main topic of the panel and will (with the assistance of others) have final say on who is on the panel.
  2. After a panel leader is chosen and the theme is set panelists must be chosen. Similar to choosing the leader anyone who wants to be on the panel can submit their idea of what they want to present on, why they think they'll do a good job and how it fits in with the main topic of the panel.
  3. The panel leader, with the input of others in a sort of committee-type setting, will choose the panelists based on their submissions. After that point it's up to the leader and the panelists to get their submission in by the deadline and create and execute their presentation at PAX South.

I'd also like to put it out there that I'm not interested on actually being on the panel since I'll be focusing on the community trading meetups, but I do want to try and help out with the assembly of the best pinny panel yet!

The panel submission deadline for South is November 11th, so while we have a bit of time it's a good idea to get this stuff squared away quickly so there's time to draft the submission write-up. So from here I'd like for us to do one of two things: either raise issues with and discuss a different method for forming the community panel at South '17 or start taking Panel Leader submissions! Best of luck to everyone and hopefully this process will be nice and smooth. Let's hear your ideas!

Past Pinny Panels

Interest shown so far:
Leading:
@Picmin

Panelist:
@TheAggroCraig
@toastytreat
@krovek
@SerpicoBC
@Qumaden
@verybluetardis

Helping:
@thefawnn
@sireniti
@Hingo
@maywest
@mathis
@callmegar

evanephrine on

• Options
    thefawnnthefawnn Draws pictures and loves Gabe seattle, WARegistered User regular
    While I'm not interested on being on the panel itself, I love the idea of community involvement in choosing panelists and would love to help out however I'm needed with that! :)

• Options
    RenfamousRenfamous Weeb, Unexceptional Cosplayer Houston, TexasRegistered User regular
    Ok so for the panel theme I think we've got it down to either "Fairytale" or "Enchantment Under the Sea"...anyone have any experience with large animals or tesla coils?

• Options
    sirenitisireniti USARegistered User regular
    I don't want to be on the panel, but I'd be interested in participating in some other way if that's possible/needed! :)

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    South being baby PAX, I think there needs to be focus on ways to help new traders out and things they can do to give them an edge... while now reading this it comes off as super vague, but the point being last year there weren't free pins to help out, so a repeat should be kept in mind in terms of tips.

I happily throw my hat in the ring to help out with this, whether that involves being on the panel, or just to contribute behind the scenes.

• Options
    toastytreattoastytreat Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I would love to be involved in the panel! Either on it or helping in some fashion. I like the idea of focusing on helping new traders and maybe talk about pin groups and pin group etiquette.

• Options
    krovekkrovek Registered User regular
    i'm interested in being on the panel i feel like since im the youngest active member that i could have a unique pespective on trading. I want to try have have something about the younger generation getting into pin collecting since it seems like a lot of the collecters are older than 25... which kind of baffles me still. why are there not more kids is it the money or that there interests are somewhere else. any who i need to brainstorm more.

• Options
    rentfnrentfn Registered User regular
    I'm interested in helping or being on the panel. I'd love to do a section on the community again or talk about going from casual to hardcore and back again.

• Options
    SerpicoBCSerpicoBC Registered User regular
    I'm interested in being on the panel! Casual collector perspective and experience in finance, personal finance, saving and economics. #yayeconomics

• Options
    evanephrineevanephrine ev-an-eff-rinn Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'll be updating the OP with folks who have shown interest for being involved, that way once panelists are chosen there will be a list of folks who have offered their help! Anyone who has put their name in as a panelist and for helping will default as a Panelist volunteer, then whatever extra volunteers we may have will transfer to Helping after panelist selection. Also, once we get to the panelist selection I think it's a good idea to get a more detailed rundown of your section topic, but for now I think blurbs should be fine!

Nobody interested in leading so far? Having a specific person in charge is just an idea I had to make planning and cohesion better but really we could just select however many panelists and then they sort it out. I suppose we'll see how it plays out! I've also added the panel submission deadline to the OP so we know what the timeline looks like.

• Options
    Oh, and thank you so much to everyone who's volunteering so far! You are what makes this community great.

• Options
    HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    My vote goes to #yayeconomics!

As for myself, I don't want to be on this panel. I do, however, want to be part of the shadowy cabal that sits in on the practice rounds of the panel, provides feedback and critique on the presentation, and helps to make sure everything is presented as a solid, final product for PAX.

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • Options
    thefawnnthefawnn Draws pictures and loves Gabe seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Hingo wrote: »
    My vote goes to #yayeconomics!

As for myself, I don't want to be on this panel. I do, however, want to be part of the shadowy cabal that sits in on the practice rounds of the panel, provides feedback and critique on the presentation, and helps to make sure everything is presented as a solid, final product for PAX.

I believe you mean the person that sits in the front row and makes awkward/creepy eye contact with the panelists. In which case, no, that's my job and you can't have it.

• Options
    PicminPicmin Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I would like to be/help with the panel if I can. Depending on what the main typic is I can make a section around it. But kinda thinking about doing something on the story of staff pins (why they pick the comics they did) or about building a community with the companies that make pins (like undead labs for instance)

Picmin on
  • Options
    maywestmaywest Registered User regular
    I would be happy to assist with advice, etc, to the panel. I have no interest in being on the panel, but I would be happy to do what I can to help the panel.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Awesome response so far! 6 volunteers for panelists and plenty of help available. You can check out past Pinny Panels right here, just in case you guys want some ideas of what has been done before and how.

evanephrine on
  • Options
    maywestmaywest Registered User regular
    And feel free to contact any veterans for assistance!

• Options
    If we don't have a leader step up I will be willing to do it.

• Options
    So what I commented before didn't really speak to what I was trying to say I wanted to do... I was going to try and talk about how it is/was like being the youngest forum user on here and how having these (adults) around have shaped my perspective on issues and situations.. that's not all that's just a tid bit of what I could talk about and I really want to

• Options
    ajetog@gmail.comajetog@gmail.com WisconsinRegistered User regular
    I would like to nominate evanephrine for panel leader for South, he's done panels before and so much for the community.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    @ajetog@gmail.com I thought Evan didn't want to do the panel

krovek on
  • Options
    mathismathis Registered User regular
    If you need more volunteers for behind the scenes I can help.

• Options
    QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    Can toss me on the roster to either be on the panel or help.

• Options
    Thanks everyone, updated the OP! @ajetog@gmail.com I appreciate the thought but I think I'll sit this one out, I'm going to try and focus more on improving the community meetups.

@Picmin So far is the only one to step up and offer leadership, however he hasn't posted his idea for the main topic of the panel yet ;)

There is less than a month left before the panel submission is due and it's about time for people who are going to be on the panel to start planning, so I'm going to make a deadline of this Friday (10/14) at midnight PST for community members to post their interest here. No offense to those who have already volunteered but if we select panelists purely by default it kinda seems like we're half-assing it as a community. Get on it folks!

• Options
    rentfnrentfn Registered User regular
    I'm going to take my name out of the hat to be on the panel. Things are happening and I'm not 100% sure I can make it to south. Would hate to bail out later. I'd still love to help anyway I can.

• Options
    Totally understandable man, thanks for volunteering regardless!

• Options
    can I have people send me their topics tomorrow on slack so I can hear what your ideas and we can start talking about the panel

• Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Wow we should really start work on the AUS panel.

• Options
    verybluetardisverybluetardis Pins and coffee. Let's be friends. Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I am happy to assist with the panel and am also interested in participating. I'd like to present on creative presentation/displays!

verybluetardis on
  • Options
    callmegarcallmegar Registered User regular
    I wish I could help more but my time in PAX is not really mine, can't count on being free at any specific time. Anyways, I'm local and if not restricted by an specific time slot I can help you guys get stuff done or to prepare/provide/provision whatever needed in advance.

00trpy9qu6xq.jpg
  • Options
    Awesome! Thanks everyone for the support and interest, and especially thanks to @Picmin for stepping up to be the panel leader! A Slack channel has been made with @Picmin, @TheAggroCraig, @toastytreat, @krovek, @SerpicoBC, @Qumaden, @verybluetardis, plus myself and @Hingo as representatives from the last panel in order to help the process when necessary.

The next step from here will be getting our panelist number down to the appropriate amount. We have 7 volunteers and a maximum of 6 slots so as much as we'd like to have everyone represented up there we have to lose one person from the lineup. The good news is that there is still plenty of opportunity to help both throughout the planning process leading up to South and during the actual panel. We'll need folks to practice to as an audience for sure, and in the past we've needed volunteers to pass out handouts, help with raffles, ask for donations from vendors, and much more. So if you're still interested in helping but haven't posted here yet, please feel free to step forward and I can add you to the pool of lovely volunteers. Remember that it's all for the community, if you want to see us grow, expand, and improve, you have to put the work in.

As we narrow down the roster and fine tune the presentation @Picmin will post updates here for transparency and for community input. Every panel is a new process so any comments are welcome, whether it's in favor of what's happening or against it, but please keep any criticism constructive. Every panel is the best one yet, we are always trying to improve!

Thank you so much everyone, from here on out I'll turn it over to @Picmin.

• Options
    EvenstarEvenstar PAX Prime Princess Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    If you need a day-of item passer-outer/Vana White person, I am currently planning to work wang shift E so I should be present. I volunteer as tribute.