As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX AUS 2016 Challenge Coin. All done!

• RILMSRILMS North BayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    For those who have not seen it.

The PAX West coin:

West2016Coin.jpg

Aside from just having colour on one side, the Pac people were also enlarged, moved, and given eyes. This was done by the artist and not by the community, but there were no objections to it.

RILMS on
    OtyHMcu.jpg
  • fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    So, a non-gaming centric sided coin has been done before!

Thanks for the pics.

fishfishmonkeyhat on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I would argue that Robert Khoo is very gaming-centric. Also I would say this was a special occasion :)

• fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    DON'T YOU RUIN THIS FOR ME!

But PA art is also gaming centric.. >_>

edited September 2016
    I'm still cleaning up the source pic, but what does everyone think about using Flinders Street Station for the location side?

TfwOcnJ.png

fishfishmonkeyhat on
  • vonhistvonhist Mr Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Iconic melbourne building, i approve.

• ndwhiteyndwhitey AustraliaRegistered User regular
  • jaydarkojaydarko Registered User regular
    : i would have thought Jeff's Shed would be more relevant?

ez07g5Z.png
    9uqp99r.png

Cleaned up.

Now we just need to work out if we need to "gamify" the dropbear, and how. I could stick a power glove on him I guess?

Actually I hear VR is going to have a big showing this year. I might see what the dropbear looks like with some goggles on, and if they do nothing.

tumblr_lhlt2mIoJT1qc63sno1_1280.png

• DevereauxDevereaux Registered User regular
    VR was heavily seen at Pax West this year! Large gaming companies are getting on the bandwagon. I saw a few in the indie section too! I'm sure there will be a presence at Pax Aus.

Check out my lanyard and let's trade ;)https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Devereaux
    I think VR + Powerglove is your best bet

2 options:

04:

Ywck3o7.png

05:

zwvqpyX.png

This one might only work if we do colour.

Should I put "VR" on the goggles, or is that clear? I was considering trying to do it like the VB beer logo but it was too messy of a design/litigious.

No need, think its pretty obvious.

• The SamThe Sam Registered User new member
    Maybe, looks a bit like a sleep mask.

Updated with more details. Def looks better:

rHVvaVt.png

YOxWLPw.png

If we can only have colour on one side if should be this one.

that looks great with that added detail

A quick count of the votes for the Latin phrase has NULLUS ANXIETAS and TERRA PRETIOSA LUDOS tied at 4 each. But @Happyburger said
    I love 'Land of Expensive Games' and 'No Worries Mate' as mottoes but the Latin is way off.

Terra Pretiosa Ludos should be Terra Pretiosorum Ludorum. The original has Pretosia agreeing with Terra, meaning the land is expensive, not the games (true but off-topic). Also Ludos is in the accusative case when it needs to be genetive.

So TERRA PRETIOSA LUDOS should actually be TERRA PRETIOSORUM LUDORUM, for what it's worth (google seems to confirm this).

So I'll need to make a voting form I think. I'll also add in the following since the votes have been so low so far:

NUMQUAM MENTULA ES (don't be a dick, used on all US coins)
    NOLI ESSE DRONGO (don't be a drongo, my original suggestion for a localised version of the above phrase)
    NULLUS ANXIETAS (no worries, Disc World reference and used on last years AUS coin)
    TERRA PRETIOSORUM LUDORUM (land of expensive games)

Feel free to discuss, but the actual voting will be via the form I'm about to make.

Here we go:

https://goo.gl/forms/21XTEYQ8irog08SB3

I've added a section for entering your email if you'd like to be notified about coin updates in the future.

Ok we have until Friday to decide if we want to do a coloured coin this year so vote here!

https://goo.gl/forms/bNy1OEV53SlbNjxY2

• SkitSkit Registered User new member
    Submitted. Loving the latest design, dropbear with VR!

Looking forward to these being available for order.

• Uncle KakaUncle Kaka Registered User new member
    Looks good gang, I'm getting damned excited.

Well the polls are pretty much conclusive so I'll probably release the results and submit the design tonight. Get voting now if you were planning to!

• TinBaneTinBane Registered User new member
    Voted. Thanks for organising this!
    With the Flinders Street side (great idea BTW), I was wondering if you were planning to do it 'full colour' or do it the same way they did for the South coin (enamel to show off the 'depth'.
    I'd vote for that, and suggest that at the most the colour on the flinders st side should be a green roof enamelled on?

That's really up to @akidderz at this point honestly.

If we go a full colour coin on both sides I'd imagine it would just be a photo sealed in with clear enamel, assuming that's how they do it.

WOW! Full color coin....that would be.....AWESOME! and a first full color coin. Either side would look great in color, however, I'm partial to dropbear :)

• SoylentDaveageSoylentDaveage Registered User new member
    So when are we ordering these coins that I didn't know about last year because PAX was a late decision?

(Yes, yes I did sign up to the forums I've been casually browsing for the past few months just for this... I'm slack and a bit antisocial)

I'll probably have the order form up early next week, if not this weekend.

thanks for doing this mate

• ndwhiteyndwhitey AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Great idea choosing flinders Street station as the landmark fish !

And I did it all on my own!

edited October 2016
    Here are the poll results:

Latin Phrase: Winner: NULLUS ANXIETAS ("no worries")

So keeping the current one.

Breakdown:

oS6dht5.png

NUMQUAM MENTULA ES ("don't be a dick") -2 votes
    NOLI ESSE DRONGO ("don't be a drongo") -7 votes
    NULLUS ANXIETAS ("no worries") -16 votes
    TERRA PRETIOSORUM LUDORUM ("land of expensive games") -7 votes

Colour Coin: Winner: Yes

Standard and colour coins this year.

Breakdown:

pzEzb0a.png

Yes -18 votes
    No -13 votes

I'll keep the polls open until I get the order form together in case anyone wants to add their email to the notification list or just if they like to vote on stuff, but otherwise that's everything we had to work out decided!

fishfishmonkeyhat on
    So this is the final artwork:

FRONT:

11MmIVf.png

BACK:

0yATjeI.png

Please everyone double check that for typo's/correct dates and let me know if you find any.

We're going with reeded edges and antique gold like this year's south coin so they should look something like this.

:D

• SennoSenno AustraliaRegistered User regular

Please everyone double check that for typo's/correct dates and let me know if you find any.

:D

Are the Front and Back images of the coin reversed? I thought Flinders was the front image and dropbear was the back image

edited October 2016
    Dude, just turn it around. :P

But seriously I just had a small heart attack thinking I might have gotten the text paired with the wrong image, but no that's correct.

I had just never really considered what the "front" of the coin was and listed the first image I uploaded as it. ;)

fishfishmonkeyhat on
  • SkitSkit Registered User new member
    I'd be quite happy with just the Dropbear in colour

Production artwork is here!

3uLfKhW.jpg

Still sorting out prices/shipping at the moment, but I'll let everyone know when we can start ordering.

edited October 2016
    Yo you like colour that isn't a photo transfer check this shit out peeps:

sAHV51al.jpg

Groovy.

Order update: Ok so now all coins in the first batch (100 standard/100 colour) will be distributed at PAX AUS by myself (getting them shipped straight there from the factory). So once I get the prices the form will be a tad more straightforward than last years (less postage options).

SOON.

fishfishmonkeyhat on