As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So, how are the Aloft and Element?

LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD?Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
Hey folks,

Obviously tickets aren't going on sale for a bit, but I'm doing my initial research: last year, two new hotels near the BCEC opened up, the Aloft and Element.

I 'd like to score a berth at one of those hotels, but want to make sure we don't get stuck at a joint with tiny rooms, etc. I guess my main question is- how big are the rooms with two double beds, if any of you have experience in them? And of course, what's the experience in these hotels like?

Thanks!

My pin lanyard
PSN: L00nyEclip
Steam: Loony Eclipse
Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png

• Options
    TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I was at the Aloft for a night, I liked it but it was a little on the smaller side. We had 4 people, it's a bit narrow around the walkways. We didn't have any real trouble but if we packed a bit heavier it would have been iffy. We really loved the hotel and room, the place is beautiful and super stylish (though the view on our side of the hotel was an industrial parking lot so, meh), bonus cool points because the room keys are swipeless. The distance could hardly be beat, though. Only reason we stayed just 1 night was because we managed to snag the Westin for the other nights.

TopherRocks on
  • Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I had friends at the Aloft and they didn't speak too highly of it... the Element on the other hand I heard very good things about. I'll be keeping it in mind for 2017 for sure.

• Options
    PurpleBekPurpleBek Manchester, EnglandRegistered User regular
    The element was great! Spacious rooms with two beds a couch and the kitchenette and fridge is great :) good big shower too

pax%20sig.png
  • Options
    VermillionDeVermillionDe Registered User regular
    I stayed at the Aloft. I personally liked the room, but if you're looking for something spacious for multiple people then you may need to look elsewhere. Things were definitely designed to be space saving: lots of amenities but tucked away in corners or designed to be minimalist. I stayed with my wife and we loved it, but we questioned how comfortable it would be if you were staying with friends. I heard the element was great for that though. Seriously though, unless you're in the Westin you're not going to do better distance wise.

• Options
    KeroanKeroan Chicago, IllinoisRegistered User regular
    Yeah it was just my boyfriend and I at the Aloft and we liked it quite a bit. Only downside is that food is a bit of a walk in the opposite direction. It was quieter than the Westin would have been and you can't beat the location. We're going to try again for it this year!

• Options
    ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    We had 4 in an Element room with 2 beds and a tiny couch and awkwardly-placed desk. It was a bit tight b/c there is little room for bags, aside from piling up on the cough or stuffing into the drawers/TV stand. However, the kitchenette was nice (esp b/c we brought chili, cold cuts, and milk for breakfast cereal). The food in the morning was light but tasted fine. Not the usual continental breakfast; english muffin sandwiches to go, some yogurt, coffee. Limited, but included in the room fee. the distance was workable when leaving the BCEC (either at the park exit or down the escalators through the Westin), but annoying to enter, as the lines getting through the security check are filled with the D-street hotel guests and those coming in on the shuttle.

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • Options
    hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    I stayed at the Aloft and I loved it. Room was on the smaller side but it was just me so not an issue, everything was super clean, outlets everywhere, and great location. It was so nice not having to take a shuttle back to my hotel.

row1.pngrow2.png
  • Options
    stardust462stardust462 Leominster, MARegistered User regular
    I liked the Aloft a lot. Don't book there if you're planning on having people sleeping on the floor though, there isn't room for them. It's set up in a different way so there isn't a lot of floor space. Also, the sink is outside of the toilet/shower, if that matters to anyone. It was also right across the street from one of the food truck locations, which was nice.

• Options
    jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    Would anyone choose the Aloft/Element over the Seaport? I'm not asking because of price. I'm more inquiring about room features, proximity to the convention center, and also proximity to other restaurants/fast food (or Dunkin and Starbucks). Basically, if you've stayed and the Seaport, would you make the switch to the Aloft/Element?

• Options
    KaronethKaroneth Elder Scrolling Online Co-Host Lakehurst, NJRegistered User regular
    J Dixon, we made the change last year. My group was 5 in number, we like to be close and had some folks with us with back issues and did not want a hike, so we have been staying in the Seaport for years. We never seem to luck out with OnPeak but we always have the room reserved in advance just in case. We got the executive suite but this year they were unavailable. So we purchased an executive suite at the Element and ended up keeping it as once again we failed with OnPeak. It has a kitchen and free breakfast. The Seaport breakfast is much better, but it is also like $20 a person a day. The Element room, their largest room, had a LOT of floor space so we were able to lay down a portable bed (and housekeeping even made it up for us daily!) to sleep 5. I probably won't have 5 in my group anymore and was going to find a smaller, cheaper room but I can't make it for 2017. The Seaport location is indeed better, but the Element was less expensive plus the free breakfast and the kitchen saved us money. I'd say the Seaport still gives the best experience for PAX but at a cost. Element will likely be a better value for you if you can tolerate the longer walk when the side door is not open and the longer walk to downtown. Element was near a Jimmy Johns for lunch but otherwise Seaport is closer to more restaurants, which might be a factor in early March weather.
    Both hotels, and indeed, any in Boston, are prohibitively expensive though, and that is one reason I am skipping a year next year.

• Options
    jayh0vajayh0va Registered User regular
    jdixon1972 wrote: »
    Would anyone choose the Aloft/Element over the Seaport? I'm not asking because of price. I'm more inquiring about room features, proximity to the convention center, and also proximity to other restaurants/fast food (or Dunkin and Starbucks). Basically, if you've stayed and the Seaport, would you make the switch to the Aloft/Element?

I've stayed at Seaport, Westin and Aloft in that order. If money and availability are no object, I'm taking the Seaport every single time. That said, Aloft rooms opened up before Seaport rooms last year and I didnt feel like changing the reservation and I was not disappointed. Its definitely a slightly lower tier hotel (its one of Starwood's more economical options), but its far from Motel 6. Our room was two queens and was a bit cramped but three large dudes had no problem spending the weekend as we were barely there. I think the walk to the front door is actually about the same as Seaport, but the direct access from the expo floor (for a mid day break) is much closer. Check google maps to see what I mean. One last note is that food and bar options are far superior at Seaport. The food trucks and Jimmy Johns are fine for a quick lunch, but nothing beats Remy's and Whiskey Priest on a Friday night.

Overall, I'm shooting for Seaport this year, but if I can get Aloft again, I'll be a happy paxer.

npyymaqh3gup.png
  • Options
    KaronethKaroneth Elder Scrolling Online Co-Host Lakehurst, NJRegistered User regular
    Correct Jay, I forgot about Whiskey Priest which was a huge hit with my group. If you can get a Seaport room and can afford it, I would go for it.

• Options
    SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I really like the Seaport, but next year might try the Element, given they have a kitchenette and free breakfast.

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
  • Options
    CoanCoan TorontoRegistered User regular
    I found the element was a bit small with having the bed and the pullout essentially kill any space between them, but the rooms were very nice otherwise, plus all the extras at element like the food and beer on some nights and a full fridge/dishwasher/etc was nice. I've done seaport a few times, seen at least a room in westin (friends) and now element, I'd probably pick element, especially as just a double occupancy. I'd probably try to lean towards seaport if I expect to room with a bunch of cosplayers again in a quad occupancy situation just due to space concerns.

Posting on the phorum again like its 1999
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Did the element, beds were meh, but kitchenette and other facilities were nice.

• Options
    nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    jdixon1972 wrote: »

having stayed at both the aloft and seaport, prefer the seaport. Felt ot was more spacious but more than that i prefer the location as ots closer to the red line and main entrance.

• Options
    mtalmormtalmor Registered User regular
    The Element has no room service because it's a long-term stay hotel (there's some snacks you can get in the lobby, and microwavable meals but that's it). Otherwise it's a great hotel and the breakfast is decent for a long-term stay hotel. We stayed there last year and it was great.

• Options
    LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    At the end of the day- it turns out the element was booked, so I ended up at the renaissance.

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • Options
    Jubes2681Jubes2681 Registered User regular
    They just opened up more rooms at the Element. It's worth keeping an eye on the hotel site since they tend to open up more rooms as we get closer to Pax. I stayed there last year and will be staying there again this year. The kitchen is really nice and the couch was a great touch - allowed us to relax at the end of the day without having to lounge on the bed.