As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PbP] [OOC] 13th Age - Where is The Gold?

• AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Forceful is a good descriptor. That wouldn't change anything, other than just having an easier way of me describing what rubs Faren the wrong way

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Sorry, I'll try and get a post together in the morning, today has been a blur.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    If I wanted to watch the cards, try and find where he is cheating, and push the advantage onto Coke, I'm guessing that would be a Dex check, and that I could use my knowledge of Sleight of Hand from being a cut purse?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    If I wanted to watch the cards, try and find where he is cheating, and push the advantage onto Coke, I'm guessing that would be a Dex check, and that I could use my knowledge of Sleight of Hand from being a cut purse?

You sure can. Neat thing about 13th age is that characters only have 2-4 skills, so really all you have to do is roll a d20 and I can ferret out the rest of the information myself.

But yes, 1d20+dex+cutpurse would be appropriate.

Sorry, its early and my reading comprehension is a little low, but I won't get a chance to post for another ~four hours. Do I see him sliding the card up his sleeve, or I slid a card up my sleeve. And do I just RP the card swap, or do I need another check?

Sorry, its early and my reading comprehension is a little low, but I won't get a chance to post for another ~four hours. Do I see him sliding the card up his sleeve, or I slid a card up my sleeve. And do I just RP the card swap, or do I need another check?

You slid the card up your sleeve.

Does my initial roll cover the hand swap?

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    You rolled to see if you could cheat him and you succeeded, so you can cheat him. I believe @Carnarvon was just trying to give you a good narrative window for it.

Yeah, sorry. My GM in college was a "roll strength check to pick up a glass of water, roll dex check to see if you get it your mouth."

Yeah, sorry. My GM in college was a "roll strength check to pick up a glass of water, roll dex check to see if you get it your mouth."

Hah. I wish I could say I was unfamiliar with that style but I figured that's where you were coming from.

I had a campaign recently where I had a rogue/ranger with maxed out acrobatics, who fell in a ten-foot pit. The DC was high enough to climb and jump that, at level six, I couldn't get out on a 20. Meanwhile the wizard cast a fly spell and was fine. Oh, and there was that time my character died falling from a ladder. Like, a regular ladder. It wasn't even a broken ladder, I just rolled a 2 and woops! 4d6 damage.

God I hate d20 skill systems.

In my head I normally categorize things as difficult (climbing a mountain), improbable (climbing a mountain without gear), and 'legendary' (climbing Everest without gear). If it's difficult, it's normally fail-forward, e.g. you climb the ladder but something bad happens. Improbable will typically be pass/fail with an explicit failure state (you have contracted Frost Bite and are attacked by yetis), and Legendary tasks are only possible with good reason.

For a professional, trained card-cheat to cheat at cards against people who aren't trained against card cheats, that just seems like something you should be able to do?

Alright, for this fight the four of you are Nearby and the enemies (one Large boar and two Mobs of four Small boars) are all in one Group. How you are positioned, or rather, who is Behind who, is up to you.

• astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    I'm guessing I'm at the rear of the group.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
    I want to hug a pretty boar.

I guess that puts me up front-ish.

Which...Geth hates me so this should be fun.

Don't worry, I got this. Maybe.

Also, I will be in the front front.

Whoops forgot racial ability

In before we all die to boars before getting a single action. :biggrin:

I definitely don't want to be in front.

edited October 2016
    Uhhh I only like skimmed the combat encounters guide here, so thinking about backup characters wouldn't be a terrible idea. Cheers!

Carnarvon on
    I doubt it'll change much, but Faren does get to go at init. 22.

admanb wrote: »
    I doubt it'll change much, but Faren does get to go at init. 22.

Don't feel the need to wait to post in order. I'll run a recap at the top of the round for the order things happen in (like if you kill some boars before they deal damage).

I'll let players win initiative ties with monsters, and between players we'll go in alphabetical order (A'ras, Asuzan, Faren, Gunbjorn).

Got it. Makes sense for PbP.

How do you want to handle intercepts, or do you want to skip them for flows sake?

Also, are they still a group?

edited October 2016
    Intercepts are still a thing. From what I've read, unless otherwise stated, the party is a Group. People in the group can be Behind another person in their group. If someone (a boar) tries to Engage a person (A'ras) who is Behind another person (Gunbjorn), the person in front (Gunbjorn) can try to Intercept. A person who is engaged, however, cannot Intercept.

So, Big Boar engages Gunbjorn, and everyone else is Behind Gunbjorn, then Gunbjorn cannot intercept the boarling. Feel free to correct me.

Yes, they are a Group.

Carnarvon on
    So if I'm understanding this correctly, I hit the mooks four times doing 14 damage each time (halved because I blew that hit role real bad) for a total of 56 damage to the mook group?

And also 1 damage each to Asuzan and Faren -- sorry guys!

A mook counts as one enemy that gets one attack for each X hp in the group (as in, one mook has 6HP, so 10 mooks is one dude with 60hp and 10 attacks), and every time it loses X hp, it loses an attack.

So, right now there is Big Boar, 3 Mooks on Faren, 2 Mooks on Asuzan, and 3 Mooks where you jumped away from. Each group of mooks is one target, so you deal 14 damage to BB, group 1, group 2, and group 3. If I hadn't split them up (and had 8 attacks against, say, Faren), you'd only be doing 14 damage to BB and group 1.

Huh. It seems weird that if they're more combined the AoE does less damage to them.

Basically all damage is AoE to them, seeing as one strong attack can kill three or four pretty easily.

Yeah, I like that part, but in this case it seems like actual AoE damage is... less AoE then non-AoE damage.

So I think technically I went first, so left my HP at full until things resolve.

Also, let me know if the rolls aren't right for some reason. Haven't played 13th Age before.

Where should I declare flexible attacks?

edited October 2016
    E: disregard

admanb on
    Where should I declare flexible attacks?

You can do something like

"I attack the goblin.

Girth, roll 1d20+eleventy"

Then after reading the die roll, edit the post with your maneuver. I believe that does not change your die roll?

Unless I'm misreading things, my PD was higher than the first coals'n'ashes deal, which I assumed meant I didn't take any ongoing damage, before its most recent monster roll.

@AustinP0027 all the little boars are dead so you're no longer engaged :)

Did it just copy my rolls because I copied the text, or did I really roll the exact same thing twice?

Unless I'm misreading things, my PD was higher than the first coals'n'ashes deal, which I assumed meant I didn't take any ongoing damage, before its most recent monster roll.

Woops, must have looked at someone else's PD score.

Also, yes, everyone but Gunbjorn is free. I wrote everything not accounting for A'ras killing stuff, then had to rewrite. Woops!