As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Last Jedi Teaser can be seen right now in the [Star Wars] thread

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-theatrical-poster_1688.jpg
    The final poster

6F32U1X.png
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    in favor

strongly in favor

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I honestly thought that was Snoop Dogg bottom right for a moment.

edited October 2016
    No Mads Mikkelsen in any of the promotional stuff, huh

Either he's got a really secret role or just a really minor one that doesn't matter like Max Von Sydow in Force Awakens

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Guess they've decided to really hit the "Vader" thing rather than the "Imperial officer villain" thing with that poster

I'd be pretty bummed if I were that actor

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    guys, let's rob a bank or something so we can fund a star wars story movie

Snope Doogo, the stonedest smuggler

oh shit his partner can be martha stewart

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    No Mads Mikkelsen in any of the promotional stuff, huh

Either he's got a really secret role or just a really minor one that doesn't matter like Max Von Sydow in Force Awakens

Kinda spoilers? Based on interviews
    he's Felicity Jones's father
    He might also be a key engineer or designer of the Death Star

• DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    i have been purposefully avoiding reading too much about rogue one or watching the trailer but that's a dang good poster

i'm jazzed

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    apparently there's a new Rogue One trailer coming out tomorrow? I'm going to do my hardest to not watch it.

It is unavoidable.
    It is your destiny.

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Yeah, seriously.

can you feel the struggle within?
    edited October 2016
    Trailer was pretty cool.

Edit: Here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC9abcLLQpI

Six on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    God damn that's a good trailer

If nothing else, this movie will look spectacular

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    trailer:
    Well, there is the Mads reveal

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm so fucking ready for this movie

This is a Star Wars movie that really feels like a war movie.

Well okay, maybe this movie will actually be awesome instead of just pretty good

6F32U1X.png
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    Trailer was pretty cool.

Edit: Here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC9abcLLQpI

I'm officially more hype for this than I was for TFA.

That trailer was shit-hot.

I think the first one was better but this one's still pretty good. Really looking forward to this.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I feel like this trailer had a lot more tension than the first one, the stakes feel higher.

I've shifted into maximum overhype.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    It's like it's a movie now instead of a bunch of moments and an annoying main character. She's not even annoying in this one!

Also I will watch any movie with Riz Amed in it so

• GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Lalalala I'm not listening!!!

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I kind of hoped she was just a out of control soldier so they sent her and others on a mission with little chance of success and she went deep cover into the empire to get the info they need like really deep as she ended up being Mauler at the battle of Yavin

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Theres the trailer this movie needed. Really good stuff.

Still worried since Gareth Edwards hasn't had a film yet that won me over 100% (the characters in Monsters and Godzilla really fell flat) but visually, it looks fantastic.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Still worried since Gareth Edwards hasn't had a film yet that won me over 100% but visually, it looks fantastic.

If anything, this movie looks like it will look amazing all the way through.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited October 2016

Still worried since Gareth Edwards hasn't had a film yet that won me over 100% but visually, it looks fantastic.

Oh I'm sure thats guaranteed.

Edwards seems to have a flair for big special effects heavy scenes if Godzilla is anything to go by. Its just more the human drama I'm worried about and being bored to tears by any scene without any action.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    That rock formation was pretty cool

http://m.imgur.com/PW1ohe9?r

Edwards seems to have a flair for big special effects heavy scenes if Godzilla is anything to go by. Its just more the human drama I'm worried about and being bored to tears by any scene without any action.

Yeah, that's the fear. Is this Pacific Rim or Saving Private Ryan?

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular

Well it's got giant robots in the AT-ATs and a squad of soldiers moving through a war so... both?

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
    Decomposey wrote: »

Well it's got giant robots in the AT-ATs and a squad of soldiers moving through a war so... both?

I just meant will this be lots of awesome action with little else (how I view Pacific Rim) or good action surrounded by character drama.

Those two movies were the first ones that came to mind and maybe they aren't the best examples.

• FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    That rock formation was pretty cool

http://m.imgur.com/PW1ohe9?r

I think that's a collapsed statue of enormous size.

The cast is already much better than Pacific Rim so even if there isn't that much personal stuff what there'll be will probably be much better.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i bet vader only shows up for like 15 seconds, which is a good thing

Do we know of any characters beside Vader, Mon Mothma, and Saw Gerrera that have shown up before?

honovere wrote: »
    Do we know of any characters beside Vader, Mon Mothma, and Saw Gerrera that have shown up before?

Bail Organa is apparently in the trailer but I haven't gone through and picked him out. There was a shot from the sizzle real where he's apparently there but you can't see his face.

When first watching the trailer I also missed the shot of
    Gerrera's legs. Dude has clearly been through some shit since his Iran-Contra days.

• FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »

There's really only two ways to approach Vader in this film: as the Sword of Damocles for the villain or as the Minotaur in the Labyrinth for the heroes. In the first, he hangs around menacingly, or is talked about more than seen, always in terms of what he'll do if the villain fails, and it ultimately pays off with him murdering the shit out of the villain at the end. In the second, the heroes have to complete their final mission while avoiding him, and when things go pear shaped (which they have to otherwise you have a dull climax) it's either because of him or it allows him to catch up with them and nearly undo all their hard work. You could work both of these approaches into the film, but that would require overexposing Vader. They'll probably do one or the other.

The first option seems like kind of a waste. You can imply the bad guy will have bad things happen to him if he fails without shoving Vader in there; it ultimately amounts to a fanservice cameo. The other is also fanservicey, but it at least includes the option of Vader being a genuine threat to the heroes, and maybe reclaiming some of his lost prestige as one of pop culture's preeminent villains.

• KlendyKlendy Goomy GoomyGoomyRegistered User regular
    In before Vader nukes auxillary characters that sacrifice themselves to allow main characters to escape with the plans

goomyisall400.jpg

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Fakefaux wrote: »

There's really only two ways to approach Vader in this film: as the Sword of Damocles for the villain or as the Minotaur in the Labyrinth for the heroes. In the first, he hangs around menacingly, or is talked about more than seen, always in terms of what he'll do if the villain fails, and it ultimately pays off with him murdering the shit out of the villain at the end. In the second, the heroes have to complete their final mission while avoiding him, and when things go pear shaped (which they have to otherwise you have a dull climax) it's either because of him or it allows him to catch up with them and nearly undo all their hard work. You could work both of these approaches into the film, but that would require overexposing Vader. They'll probably do one or the other.

The first option seems like kind of a waste. You can imply the bad guy will have bad things happen to him if he fails without shoving Vader in there; it ultimately amounts to a fanservice cameo. The other is also fanservicey, but it at least includes the option of Vader being a genuine threat to the heroes, and maybe reclaiming some of his lost prestige as one of pop culture's preeminent villains.

I think they'll go with the latter personally.
    Keeping him close to the Rogue 1 squad sets him up to intercept the Princess in ANH after she receives the plans, because it's Vader's job to keep the plans safe.
    It would seem to flow better that way than to have him menacing the Villain who loses the plans and then somehow it's Vader job to recover them.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Star Wars Rebels shows that it is possible to use Vader as an effective returning villain. There, he's a horror movie monster that the heroes and villains are lucky to survive.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    see317 wrote: »
    Fakefaux wrote: »

I think they'll go with the latter personally.
    Keeping him close to the Rogue 1 squad sets him up to intercept the Princess in ANH after she receives the plans, because it's Vader's job to keep the plans safe.
    It would seem to flow better that way than to have him menacing the Villain who loses the plans and then somehow it's Vader job to recover them.

I don't think that second one is a hard sell at all. It's him cleaning up the mess of his inferiors.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

This discussion has been closed.