As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[tech] It's Tech Spring Cleaning Week now. Clean your....tech....stuff.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    but privacy

• T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Counterpoint: Who cares

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    butt privacy

something something data mining something something targeted ads something something heat death of the universe etc. etc. eat at arby's

also I'm curious what @Jasconius thinks the UI of the future will be if not phones

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    we were stuck with windows and file managers for basically 30 years

phones/tablets are a bazillion times more friendly to most people... i don't think its going anywhere

i don't think the software industry can tolerate a new paradigm. it's only barely tolerating Oculus/VR, and that's basically the nerd center of the universe, so what chance do Google Glasses really have

Oh for some reason I thought you said smartphones are a fad, but maybe that was something else.

I agree with you. After I spent a couple of months in China they really seemed ahead of the curve when it came to user interface design. Everyone has a smartphone and WeChat allows for so much versatility within a single app. Banking, movie tickets, train tickets, food orders (not just from major chains, but small restaurants and even street vendors), and etc. WeChat is the reason I think a lot of American companies are going after personal assistants and AI because it would operate in almost exactly the same way.

It's also fun as a UI person cause now companies have to make actually decent looking, well-designed, and functional interfaces for consumers rather than the trite filing system of years past.

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Win 10 isthe last microsoft os im planning on buying

Everything theyve done with it drives me up the wall

The self destruction on updates to the HEY LOOK APP STORE

Its surprising how much I hate this OS and I can only hope it last despite the fact ill hate it the entire time

icGJy2C.png
    targeted ads are what I want, you're going to show me ads regardless it might as well be shit I care about

arbys sucks

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    i dont think ive opened the app store since I installed windows 10...or even windows 8 for that matter

so i guess it doesnt really bother me all that much?

Ive also never had the OH HEY LOOK IM UPDATING NOW HAVE FUN problem.

so i also guess im just really lucky??

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Yeah, I haven't had any real issues with Windows 10 either. It's easily my favorite OS.

T4CT wrote: »
    targeted ads are what I want, you're going to show me ads regardless it might as well be shit I care about

arbys sucks

I mean sure but I despire advertising in products I paid for. I know you have other software windows if I want word ill buy it stop telling me.

None of this would be a problem if it didnt brick it self after most big updates. Its not that it interupts me to update. Its that it literally can not boot it self back into win 10 after a major update.

icGJy2C.png
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Man, I haven't ever had a problem post-update on either of my Windows 10 machines. I guess I'm just lucky??

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I can't help but feel like you must have a non-standard setup of some sort - old machine? dual boot? i dunno??

Its honestly perplexing

Now im not very smart and a loser at the game of life but I do try and fix things

Ive replaced 3 hard drives and only 1 I can confirm actually failed. It could be the motherboard? Its usually just booting into windows after a update which is the problem.

Its possible my ssd is unsupported because I found out that almost all the usb's in my house are the kind that cant support the windows 10 installer (well you can but their app thing cant detect it) so it could be something like that.

Computers are half black magic

icGJy2C.png
    but yea, if i had all those issues you're talking about i would think win10 is POS too!

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    yeah Win 10 has been really stable for me

I did get a virus on it once though and it made it bad, but a reinstall fixed it

I really wish they'd allow users to turn off auto-updates and cortana.

If they did then I'd probably buy a copy for my desktop. I use it on my laptop and it runs a lot smoother than it did with Windows 8, but being unable to do those things really bothers me.

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I think I have Cortana off? Maybe that's thanks to Spybot Anti-beacon.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    I really wish they'd allow users to turn off auto-updates and cortana.

If they did then I'd probably buy a copy for my desktop. I use it on my laptop and it runs a lot smoother than it did with Windows 8, but being unable to do those things really bothers me.

Cortana can be turned off, but it is completely non-obvious. The setting sounds completely different than what you think. Also I think a reg edit can help (Though having a user do a reg edit to turn off a feature sucks).

I think you can turn off auto updates? Or schedule them or something? I need to figure it out after this last update. I'm on pretty heavy bandwidth caps and I can't have it be sucking up downloads.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    You can schedule 'active hours' so that it doesn't force reboots when you're most actively using it. You can also defer feature updates for a few months to let everyone else cop all the issues with them first. Since they tweaked things, I've not been interrupted by updates. Might help that I always turn off my PCs at night, so any updates from the day would be installed then.

So, the 'move my audio consumption to windows phone' testing programme reached a low point while trying to listen to a podcast on the plane last night. After it paused itself randomly, then after a manual pause it wouldn't restart until I pressed the lock screen play button 14 times in a second, then once playing the app wasn't tracking the progress through the podcast so when I paused/unpaused it again it started playing back where it was the last time, then still wasn't updating the progress bar but was at least doing the time left and pausing/unpausing worked, all podcasts were removed from the device when that one finished.

tl;dr: the windows 10 phone podcast app is the shittest thing that MS has put out since WinME. It is unfit for human consumption.

Now to decide where to go from here. I don't really want to use separate devices for music and podcasts, and it's nice getting away from itunes, but I'm sure as shit not using that turd of a podcast app again.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I think I the disinfectant wipe I was using to clean my cheap old cherry mx blue keayboard from monoprice was too damp... :(

Now I had to buy a cheap membrane keyboard. Yuck.

• mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I haven't had any issues with Windows 10.

Cortana has started asking me to take surveys and shit when I log in, and that's pretty dang annoying. Other than that, it's fine.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    10 has annoyed me with notifications but they're pretty rare. The other day Cortana offered to free up space by deleting previous windows versions which was genuinely useful. I like it somewhat less than eight because it's been buggier but overall it seems pretty good

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    tracking down some of the pop-ups and random offers for "try office 365 for a year" have been a little annoying

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    10 has annoyed me with notifications but they're pretty rare. The other day Cortana offered to free up space by deleting previous windows versions which was genuinely useful. I like it somewhat less than eight because it's been buggier but overall it seems pretty good

10 is annoying me on some different levels after the redstone update.

Forced cortana integration is awful and the notifications/update changes are annoying.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    I've gotten super lucky with 10, it's universally been an improvement for me in every way

Lucky boi

• KadithKadith Registered User regular
    I've had a great time with 10 even when I rebuilt my old computer and replace the mobo/cpu, no hassle re-activation.

The only problem now is it's not always going into sleep mode when it should be.

zkHcp.jpg
    I'm super interested in the reactivation thing because I'd like to replace my mobo, SSD and hard drive soon. Did you have to call or what? I got mine through a windows 8 free upgrade

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Last night when shutting down my computer, it didn't fully power down and after a while I got impatient and held down the power button.

Today the computer isn't detecting my SSD, so it can't boot at all.

I have a few things left to try, but this really fucking sucks.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I'm super interested in the reactivation thing because I'd like to replace my mobo, SSD and hard drive soon. Did you have to call or what? I got mine through a windows 8 free upgrade

I had to call, but it took like 5 minutes when I did my full upgrade last year on win8. What happens is that windows will spit out a code, you'll punch it into the phone, some computer somewhere confirms if its a legit code and then says your good to go and reads you a code to input, do that then click OK and you're off to the races. I replaced everything but the PSU and SSD. Before I swapped everything out I deleted my motherboard/video card and sound card drivers and shut down. Did my full upgrade and then booted back up without issue and it told me I had 30 days to reactivate. About a week later I did with no issue.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Its honestly perplexing

Now im not very smart and a loser at the game of life but I do try and fix things

Ive replaced 3 hard drives and only 1 I can confirm actually failed. It could be the motherboard? Its usually just booting into windows after a update which is the problem.

Its possible my ssd is unsupported because I found out that almost all the usb's in my house are the kind that cant support the windows 10 installer (well you can but their app thing cant detect it) so it could be something like that.

Computers are half black magic

I thought that I am pretty good at troubleshooting and fixing pc stuff for other people but when it comes to my own stuff it's always something really obscure or unrepairable

"Okay my motherboard is dead for no fucking reason"
    "Okay my monitor just straight up died"

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    Last night when shutting down my computer, it didn't fully power down and after a while I got impatient and held down the power button.

Today the computer isn't detecting my SSD, so it can't boot at all.

I have a few things left to try, but this really fucking sucks.

Probably a little late, but I've had that happen a few times and I can usually fix it by doing a power cycle.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I read that leaving an SSD with power, but no SATA connected could help so I tried that, but it didn't work. I tried the SSD in a different computer, which couldn't see it either.

Now it's been sent off to the manufacturer (Toshiba) for repairs and I've installed Windows on a HDD so I can at least use my computer.

I once had a horrifying problem that was rendering my new build completely useless. Eventually Rius from the computer build thread got onto Skype and literally went through my bios line by line to figure out what the problem was. It was torturous.

Ironically, I turned off my surge protector last night before shutting down my computer and the SSD wasn't recognized on next start up. Luckily power cycling worked, but boy that was pretty dumb of me.

• KadithKadith Registered User regular
    My key is linked to microsoft account so as soon as I signed in it reactivated. Mine is also a Win 8 upgrade.

zkHcp.jpg
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    My only issue with Windows 10 at the moment is there's this one specific update that tries to install everytime I turn on the computer but fails and then rolls it back and the whole process takes like 10 mins

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Javen wrote: »
    My only issue with Windows 10 at the moment is there's this one specific update that tries to install everytime I turn on the computer but fails and then rolls it back and the whole process takes like 10 mins
    I haven't had this in W10 yet, but is there no way to tell it to ignore that update in the future anymore?

Ugh and now my graphics card seems to have stopped working. I think this is a hint to put together a new computer this year.

This discussion has been closed.