As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo 3DS] THIS THREAD IS DEAD, POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Nintendo literally just rolled out a new account system that doesn't need codes a few months ago. It's in Miitomo. It'll be on the NX. They're actively making progress here.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    Nintendo literally just rolled out a new account system that doesn't need codes a few months ago. It's in Miitomo. It'll be on the NX. They're actively making progress here.

No they aren't because the new account system doesn't let you do something as simple as download your games to two devices you own.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Well, I sure do hope it'll work like that.
    I *want* it all to be good.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I just want to never be worried about save data loss. I mean, it would be nice if my friends and I didn't need to be on PS4 party chat while we play Splatoon, but the save thing is way more important.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular

No they aren't because the new account system doesn't let you do something as simple as download your games to two devices you own.

Because the 3DS and Wii U weren't designed with that system in mind. The NX likely will be.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Maz- wrote: »

Because the 3DS and Wii U weren't designed with that system in mind. The NX likely will be.

That's still an unacceptable excuse. Sony has had this shit on lock since 2004! Also, I won't believe that the NX will have a better system until I actually see it.

LD50 on
  • Options

That's not even an excuse. It's part of the problem, and shows how terrible they are with online shit.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular

The PSP wasn't designed to have an account system at launch either, Sony patched it in sometime around the PS3 launch in 2006. The 3DS came out in 2011 and the Wii U in 2012, yet Nintendo can't even do that much. I don't know about you but I find it pretty hard to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt when it comes to online features.

Speaking of online features though, why the fuck do I have to go through the game to buy DLC on the 3DS? I bought the Dual Destinies DLC last week and wrote it off as a quirk of a first year game but then ran into the exact same problem when I tried to buy the Spirit of Justice DLC too. It's honestly one of the dumbest things I've seen since digital distribution became a thing. Is this seriously how DLC works on the 3DS or is it just Capcom being Capcpom?

Anywho, we all bought Chase: Unsolved Cases Investigation Division, right? Right? RIGHT?!

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    You know, for theatrhythm you have to buy every track individually? Every single UI action took something like thirty seconds to complete, and each purchase took several such actions. I really wanted to gouge my eyes out about half way through the hour it took me to get all the songs I wanted.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    You know, for theatrhythm you have to buy every track individually? Every single UI action took something like thirty seconds to complete, and each purchase took several such actions. I really wanted to gouge my eyes out about half way through the hour it took me to get all the songs I wanted.

Blame Square Enix

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    The PSP wasn't designed to have an account system at launch either, Sony patched it in sometime around the PS3 launch in 2006. The 3DS came out in 2011 and the Wii U in 2012, yet Nintendo can't even do that much. I don't know about you but I find it pretty hard to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt when it comes to online features.
    Given that they've just started modernizing online stuff this year, it doesn't make a ton of sense to go back and make big updates to two consoles they're looking to replace in March. It's not like the 3DS eShop is great or anything, but it's functional.
    Speaking of online features though, why the fuck do I have to go through the game to buy DLC on the 3DS? I bought the Dual Destinies DLC last week and wrote it off as a quirk of a first year game but then ran into the exact same problem when I tried to buy the Spirit of Justice DLC too. It's honestly one of the dumbest things I've seen since digital distribution became a thing. Is this seriously how DLC works on the 3DS or is it just Capcom being Capcpom?

It's like that in every game on 3DS. Also maybe on the Wii U? There's no DLC on the browser/console-app portion of the eShop yet, afaik.

Until recently, 3DS/Wii U cross-buy games printed an eshop code on your digital receipt. To get your game on the other console, you had to manually enter that code. The other console didn't even have to be on the same NNID. Since they rolled out Nintendo Account, it seems that all you have to do for cross-buy is to have your Nintendo Account linked to the same NNID as your 3DS and Wii U.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Given that they've just started modernizing online stuff this year, it doesn't make a ton of sense to go back and make big updates to two consoles they're looking to replace in March. It's not like the 3DS eShop is great or anything, but it's functional.

I guess, though I thought they were going to try and keep the 3DS going for a couple more years.

It's like that in every game on 3DS. Also maybe on the Wii U? There's no DLC on the browser/console-app portion of the eShop yet, afaik.

Until recently, 3DS/Wii U cross-buy games printed an eshop code on your digital receipt. To get your game on the other console, you had to manually enter that code. The other console didn't even have to be on the same NNID. Since they rolled out Nintendo Account, it seems that all you have to do for cross-buy is to have your Nintendo Account linked to the same NNID as your 3DS and Wii U.

Jesus. Meanwhile PSN has had proper cross-buy since 2006. And Sporky still seriously thinks that Nintendo's networking features are at parity or BETTER than the PSN/XBL?

I don't want to crap on Nintendo because I do like my n3DS and I will in all likelihood buy a NX but it's pretty disappointing they're so far behind when it comes to online.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Yikes! Nintendo really needs to show off the NX with updated online support to ease everyone's nerves.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    For me, I can download games online. I can play online. It's all simple. It all works. It terms of ease of use, Nintendo's online stuff is the one I've had the least problems with.

It doesn't have all the fancy bells and whistles the other guys have? Gonna be honest, I don't give a shit, because I have never used those bells and whistles. If they're important to you, more power to ya.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    You mentioned a bunch of secondary or fluff features.

I mean, it was pretty obvious you were going to say this anyway. It's become clear that for a number of people, any view other than "they have bad online" is untenable. That's what makes it a meme that doesn't die, if they're behind in any one way then they're still fully behind, nevermind any advancements or improvements.

But seriously. 10+ years behind on online features. Not some specific areas which need improvement, but just "online features" in general. Really?

You're talking about a platform where I can open a web browser at work, buy a game that just came out that day at retail, have it already downloaded and waiting for me when I get home, play online with my buddy who also bought it, while the system background downloads updates for my other games, then take the gamepad into another room to watch Netflix on while I download demos and browse their fall sales on the 3DS...this platform is over a decade behind?

And on top of that, the only recurring Nintendo subscription sort of fee I'm paying is $5 a year for the Pokemon Bank, which is like the most optional thing ever.
    And Sporky still seriously thinks that Nintendo's networking features are at parity or BETTER than the PSN/XBL?

Read sometimes:
    They're at parity or better in far more ways than they're behind.

This is an acknowledgement that they are behind in a few ways.

They are at parity or better in far more ways than they're behind.

I mean it's not like the other platforms have invented a new form of patches, superpatches, which are vastly better than the old kind of patches and therefore Nintendo is still somehow behind on that front. Quite a few aspects of online platforms have reached a level where everything is generally running smoothly by now and there's not much innovation to be had. Just because certain things can be taken for granted doesn't mean that they aren't areas in which Nintendo once lagged behind and has now reached parity. I know it's easy to ignore features everyone is simply expected to have at this point, but it's what they were criticized for lacking in the past. Acknowledge the fact that the old criticism is no longer valid.

They don't have "bad online features," they have bad digital rights management.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    I'm assuming the NX will update all of their online features to be more streamlined to modern services. My bigger concern is that they'll charge for them, because fuck that noise. I'd rather have free online play with gimped features than pay $50-60 for something I'd hardly use. It's why I stopped using XBL and never touched PSN, regardless of the free games and voice chat stuff.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    It really doesn't make sense to have a central Nintendo account if I can't use the same license to play a game on multiple systems if it's available for purchase and play on multiple systems. Why do I need to pay for Super Metroid 3 times on the same account?

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    To add a voice to this from the perspective of the 3DS, since this is the 3DS thread - the eShop has some serious discovery issues.

It's really hard to browse games, and you can't access some controls with the d-pad. You can access MOST controls, but there are plenty of times when you have to dig out the stylus because there's no way to highlight a button without it.

If there's a way to simply look at an A-Z list of games in a given genre, I haven't found it, and buying themes is likewise annoying because it's not done through the regular eShop but through a special Themes store - and nothing in the eShop gives you a breadcrumb to FIND the themes store. So, for example, when I found out there was a Sega Saturn theme and went to try to buy it, searching "Saturn" in the eShop gave me nothing.

When you are browsing a category, you can sort by release date, user rating or popularity (oh, and "Sort" is one of the few controls that is touch only), but not by name, price, or publisher, which are actually useful things to sort by (you can at least filter by publisher). While you're in the category, there's no list of names, so all you see is a row of icons and you need to highlight them to find out what they are (cue loading time for every game).

Also, the only two genre categories I'm given are "Platformers" and "Role Playing Games", not "Action" which would represent 90% of the games I tend to play. Other categories are "Indie games", "3D Games" (aren't they all supposed to be 3D?) "Games with DLC", and the like. I can't say I've ever opened up an store and said "huh, I feel in the mood for a game with extra DLC, let's go browse those and see what falls out!"

If I do pick a game - say it's a game with in-app purchases - there's no indication of what the in-app purchases are and how much they are. Compare to the iOS store, where I can see "oh, the in-app purchase for THIS game is a $1.99 ad removal fee, but THIS game has a "buy $100 worth of virtual currency option"

Finally, their recommendations system is pretty bad. It doesn't seem to know or care what games I've actually played - whenever I open it, it's a list of the last dozen or so Nintendo first-party releases. There's an "Info" button which I thought might explain what selection criteria it's using, but despite it looking like a button and even making a squishy animation and sound when pressed, it appears to have no actual function. This would be more excusable if, when I was looking at a given game, I could see "people who bought this ALSO bought" or "other games from this publisher are" or, you know, anything that most storefronts have been doing for years.

And this is theoretically how Nintendo wants to MAKE money, so you'd think they'd put a little effort into it.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

I don't really understand why My Nintendo needed to be a new account. How is that better than iterating on the existing Nintendo Network ID? At least you can link them so you don't need to use another login.

Regardless of whether the NX will carry over an existing friends list or require starting a new one, I don't particularly trust Nintendo's future online features to be good.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    It really doesn't make sense to have a central Nintendo account if I can't use the same license to play a game on multiple systems if it's available for purchase and play on multiple systems. Why do I need to pay for Super Metroid 3 times on the same account?

While Nintendo has come a long way, this is a sticking point with me.

I'm also still a bit sore about over half a decade's worth of data being nuked from my 3DS, rendering my card and backups unusable, with no foreseeable solution.

That I couldn't even transfer my data to an older 3DS for safe keeping before sending it in for repair has me steamed as well.

I was ALMOST on their digital bandwagon, wishing I had games like Animal Crossing as downloads instead of physical so I could access them more easily, but after this? Nuh-uh, no way. Not happening.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    I mean, lots of games on Sony's consoles encrypt saved games, too. They just have a reasonable online backup service.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    You mentioned a bunch of secondary or fluff features.

I mean, it was pretty obvious you were going to say this anyway. It's become clear that for a number of people, any view other than "they have bad online" is untenable. That's what makes it a meme that doesn't die, if they're behind in any one way then they're still fully behind, nevermind any advancements or improvements.

But seriously. 10+ years behind on online features. Not some specific areas which need improvement, but just "online features" in general. Really?

You're talking about a platform where I can open a web browser at work, buy a game that just came out that day at retail, have it already downloaded and waiting for me when I get home, play online with my buddy who also bought it, while the system background downloads updates for my other games, then take the gamepad into another room to watch Netflix on while I download demos and browse their fall sales on the 3DS...this platform is over a decade behind?

And on top of that, the only recurring Nintendo subscription sort of fee I'm paying is $5 a year for the Pokemon Bank, which is like the most optional thing ever.
    They're at parity or better in far more ways than they're behind.

This is an acknowledgement that they are behind in a few ways.

They are at parity or better in far more ways than they're behind.

I mean it's not like the other platforms have invented a new form of patches, superpatches, which are vastly better than the old kind of patches and therefore Nintendo is still somehow behind on that front. Quite a few aspects of online platforms have reached a level where everything is generally running smoothly by now and there's not much innovation to be had. Just because certain things can be taken for granted doesn't mean that they aren't areas in which Nintendo once lagged behind and has now reached parity. I know it's easy to ignore features everyone is simply expected to have at this point, but it's what they were criticized for lacking in the past. Acknowledge the fact that the old criticism is no longer valid.

They don't have "bad online features," they have bad digital rights management.

Wait, the bolded part is on the Wiiu, right? Because NONE of that happens on the 3DS. You know, the actual nintendo platform people still use and care. Which is definitely behind the PSP in most, if not all, aspects.

and NO, their not at parity or better in "far more" ways.
    And NO, it's not just DRM, or not just "stuf Wolfman doesn't care about" (a category that's hard to empathize to).
    I still need Friend Codes on the 3DS, and I only have 100 slots (which I filled up quite fast in these forums). That alone is more than 10 years behind anyone else, because no other console system was ever that stupid.

It's hard and annoying to play with other people. There are no party, chat, or any other bunch of cool stuff for mp.
    Miiverse is extremely useless.

Everything related to online is slow and annoying. and each game has to connect on its own.

The browser is an immense piece of crap.

But yeah, DRM is a lot worse than other things.
    I can't move particular games and saves to and from PC for storage, I can't move particular games and saves to other nintendo machines.
    VC games are per-device, not account.
    No cross play, no cross save, and I never managed to use the online store, it never worked right to me.
    My handheld is locked forever to one region, and it's also regionlocked.
    No cloud anything.

And now we have several overlapping and confusing logins for each time they tried to "revamp" their crappy systems.

One or other handpicked feature might be better than PSN or XBL (I'm not even gonna mention how infinitely superior PC and mobile can be), maybe on the WiiU.
    But boom, my cat just let my 3DS fall from my desk. Or I got mugged. Boom, completely lost all my saves, friends, all my shit, and I'm going to have to call nintendo god knows how, after they abandoned my country, to try and recover my digital games.

No, man, sorry, but nintendo online services are just bad.

EDIT:
    Oh, I forgot to mention how slow and annoying the 3ds shop can be, how hard it is to browse and discover stuff, and how lame and infrequent the really good sales are.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    A lot of non-specific nonsense like "crap" or "stupid" without any actual qualifications.

Out of the three major gaming companies, Nintendo is the one to create its own social network, something not even a glimmer in the others' eyes, but no, it's apparently "useless."

Dude, if Wolfman's opinion can be dismissed because he says he doesn't need the others' features, then yours is just as dismissable when you say you don't need Nintendo's.

Nintendo releases games with online that just works, outside of the occasional day one hitch like anybody else. They've never had a Master Chief Collection-esque debacle where the game releases broken and is never fixed.

It's obvious you're not reading my posts anyway, because you bold a huge chunk and ask if it's about Wii U, when in the same section you bolded I specifically pointed out which parts were referring to the 3DS.

And you attempt to dismiss the fact that Wii U demonstrates Nintendo's online prowess and parity by bringing up that nobody uses or cares about Wii U? What a lame argument. "Oh yeah? Well, uh, you're obviously correct but nobody plays that console, so it doesn't count!"

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I respect what Nintendo is trying to do with Miiverse, but I personally find it useless too.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    You can absolutely buy digital 3DS games from your web browser, and have them download to your system.

nintendo.com/en_CA/games/detail/disney-magical-world-2-3ds

There's the page for Disney Magical World 2 that just came out today. "Buy Digital" button that lets me log into my account, then asks me to input the payment info.

https://eshop.nintendo.net/redeem#/

There's the code redeem page. I used that to input and download the games from the humble bundles a while back. It really came in handy because when buying digitally from the console's store, it won't actually let you buy the game if you don't have the space for it, which is an annoyance. But this let me "download" the game and tag it as being owned, until I got a larger hard drive to actually download it.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    You can absolutely buy digital 3DS games from your web browser, and have them download to your system.

nintendo.com/en_CA/games/detail/disney-magical-world-2-3ds

There's the page for Disney Magical World 2 that just came out today. "Buy Digital" button that lets me log into my account, then asks me to input the payment info.

https://eshop.nintendo.net/redeem#/

There's the code redeem page. I used that to input and download the games from the humble bundles a while back. It really came in handy because when buying digitally from the console's store, it won't actually let you buy the game if you don't have the space for it, which is an annoyance. But this let me "download" the game and tag it as being owned, until I got a larger hard drive to actually download it.

I would like to add that Amazon also has this. I bought TriForce Heroes digitally through them. On launch, I got an email at midnight. Pushed a button in the email and it automatically downloaded the game to my 3DS without me even needing to interact with it at all.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Dirty wrote: »
    I respect what Nintendo is trying to do with Miiverse, but I personally find it useless too.

I'm still not sure what Miiverse IS. My only experience with it was trying to capture some screen shots for a blog post, and then I discovered that it doesn't save them at full resolution so it's not even useful for that.

• Options
    Miiverse is a place where people are nice, helpful, and occasionally displays amazing fan art.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I mean the main point is, as someone who has used Nintendo platforms and Steam daily for years, it doesn't matter one bit which chair I decide to sit in on any given day. And I don't mean in the sense that Nintendo meets some bare minimum requirement, I mean the platform launches as quickly, updates as quickly and as frequently, performs loads of online operations seamlessly in the background to the extent that I never have to think about it. Everything just works. And it wasn't always this way, Wii and DS had almost no retail software released digitally, draconian policies and restrictions that limited indies, almost no patches, no digital sales or DLC, etc. And now, their platforms have all those features and more.

Clearly there are some things they need to work on, but in terms of daily usability? Choosing a platform to spend time with on any given day? One is as good as another.

I'm still not sure what Miiverse IS. My only experience with it was trying to capture some screen shots for a blog post, and then I discovered that it doesn't save them at full resolution so it's not even useful for that.

Miiverse is more for casual sharing and drawing. Best thing to do is take advantage of Nintendo's integration with Twitter, Tumblr, and Facebook. Which again is an area in which they've improved, something that wasn't possible in previous generations.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    One mildly annoying thing that I literally just hit against is having to put pre-order bonus codes in through the title itself, I can't simply pop it into the eshop's code redemption directly just to have it on my account for later, case in point SMT4:A's pre-order bonus jumbles.

• Options
    I mean the main point is, as someone who has used Nintendo platforms and Steam daily for years, it doesn't matter one bit which chair I decide to sit in on any given day. And I don't mean in the sense that Nintendo meets some bare minimum requirement, I mean the platform launches as quickly, updates as quickly and as frequently, performs loads of online operations seamlessly in the background to the extent that I never have to think about it. Everything just works. And it wasn't always this way, Wii and DS had almost no retail software released digitally, draconian policies and restrictions that limited indies, almost no patches, no digital sales or DLC, etc. And now, their platforms have all those features and more.

Clearly there are some things they need to work on, but in terms of daily usability? Choosing a platform to spend time with on any given day? One is as good as another.

Miiverse is more for casual sharing and drawing. Best thing to do is take advantage of Nintendo's integration with Twitter, Tumblr, and Facebook. Which again is an area in which they've improved, something that wasn't possible in previous generations.

My solution was just to set up a really basic http file upload server on one of the linux boxes here. I'm a nerd. Instructions here if anyone is curious.

It was just very annoying at the time because I had something I wanted to do (upload screenshots), had a problem with that (The WiiU's browser hadn't been updated in a while and was no longer compatible with Wordpress), I thought I'd found a solution (Miiverse album), and after I'd spent a good bit of time capturing screenshots I went to download them and they were compressed down to 800x450 for no rational reason.

I mean, IDEALLY I should be able to hit the screenshot button whenever and then just copy them off to an SD card or USB stick en masse, but Nintendo is so gun-shy about the notion of removable media this generation that they made the thing into as close to a completely closed box as possible. That, however, is not a rant about their online services and the limitations therein, just a general rant about Nintendo not getting it.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    After reading the last few pages, I'm just honestly not sure how anyone can objectively say that Nintendo's online platforms are better than what anyone else has to offer. They aren't even in the same ballpark, and being able to buy games from a web browser and download them later at home is not a major feature.

-the 100 friend limit on 3DS
    -Friend. Codes.
    -no platform persistent voice chat
    -no party system
    -no way to get someone into a game without using an external means to get them to launch the game, and then maybe you can play together
    -UI/UX that is slow as molasses and is generally a terrible experience
    -slow game download speeds (seriously, test this, I've never had Nintendo serve me a game download at more than 5-6mbit down, I have a 60mbit down connection)
    -No cloud saves
    -a license system for digital purchases so bad that calling it obsolete would be kind.
    -no real integration between console and handheld platforms

These are all basic things that were solved long ago, and in many cases patched into existing consoles (party system came to xbox 360 partway through life, etc). The one exception to this is the xbox one's dashboard is slow as hell, and inexcusable as well.

The ability to launch say Mariokart 8, go to the online portion, and actually get into a game with randoms is fine, it's a good experience, and shows that nintendo has come a long way in that department. But that is just one facet. When I turn on my Xbox One I can, within seconds, see what my friends are playing, and in many cases jump into a party and game within 10 seconds or so, assuming I don't get a party/game invite first.

Nintendo's biggest problem is that they are still so terrified of people actually being able to interact with each other online. The entire existing online infastrucutre makes that process as difficult as possible. The only way to do voice chat in the few games that support it is that everyone already has to be in the game. That means in most cases you have to contact the person you want to play with using an external means to arrange getting into the game. You can't even send a basic text based message to someone already on your friends list. This is where the experience falls down more than anything. But Nintendo has been terrified of this because they do market their products to younger kids more than adults and they have this fear that parents will stop buying "nintendos" for their kids if said kids were able to get online and talk to eachother.

Until Nintendo realises that the actual interaction with other people is what drives the best online services, it doesn't matter what they do, their solution won't be as good.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Online interaction is so important to me. I don't play competitive games with randoms, I play co op games with a small group of friends. Sadly, Nintendo isn't even considered an option in our group because we'd only be able to chat via external means. We won't take Nintendo seriously until they take online seriously.

Sony, on the other hand, has catered just fine to our needs. We've had no problem finding games with good co op campaigns and party chat is easy. Unfortunately it might be too late for NX because PS4 delivered and chances are the others won't feel the need to pick up a second system. The music stopped and Nintendo is left standing without a chair.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    Let's sum this up and move on:

Nintendo has been extremely behind the times in online play and support, although has taken baby steps to get better over time. The NX will hopefully bring them up to date with modern standards (voice chat, unified accounts, online save info, buying games/dlc online, etc).

There, we good? So has anyone played that new Phoenix Wright game yet? I haven't pulled the trigger yet, although I know I will since I love all the PW games.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Let's sum this up and move on:

Nintendo has been extremely behind the times in online play and support, although has taken baby steps to get better over time. The NX will hopefully bring them up to date with modern standards (voice chat, unified accounts, online save info, buying games/dlc online, etc).

There, we good? So has anyone played that new Phoenix Wright game yet? I haven't pulled the trigger yet, although I know I will since I love all the PW games.

The SE++ thread seems to be about the new PH game
    It got me to play the trilogy and DD when I finish the trilogy again
    Though I am stuck in the first part of game 2

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I've played a case and a half of Spirit of Justice. So far it's not radically different than AA5 but that's not a bad thing - I loved that game.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    The new PW is good. It's pretty darn "eat your hamburgers" and the extra DLC case isn't quite as fantastic as the one for the previous game, but on the whole I'm very happy with it.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I have been thinkin abour getting a 3DS again for Pokemon. Is it worth buying a New 3DS just for that, or should I just buy a cheap 2DS as a dedicated 'Mon machine.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Depends on whether you want to use the 3D or not, but since your comparison machine is a 2DS I'm assuming you don't. The N3DS has demonstrably better processing power so it tends to have faster load times, but otherwise there's no particular difference between the two platforms if we're just talking Pokeymans.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I plan on getting a 2ds just to have one and for various other reasons.
    But it's the colour I am debating about

This discussion has been closed.