As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BEER] The Lacing on This Thread is Breathtaking. Mouthfeel

Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
edited April 2017 in Social Entropy++
What is a hop? Is it a short, low jump? Or is it a plant used in the creation of beer?

Beer comes in so many styles and flavor that I have to laugh a little when someone makes a blanket statement like, "I don't like any beer." because that means you just haven't found one you like. I've had beer that tastes like the most delicious cherries and beer that is so bitter it would literally rip your face off.

Everyone has their preference. I'm a big IBU guy but that doesn't mean I don't love a delicious porter.

IPA is the hip style right now but it's also delicious. Citrusy, often high IBU. Pairs great with food.

If you can get a can of Old Chub on Nitro in your area I'd highly recommend it. It's like drinking a delicious beer milkshake.

If you're starting off in the world of craft beer it can be daunting with so many brands and styles. Just grab a few that sound interesting and go to town until you find some you like.

Some beer styles

IPA
Kolsch
Witbier
Porter
Stout
Barley Wine
Cream Ale
Bock
Dunkelweizen
Lambic
Pilsner
Hefeweizen

And more!

For @Rorshach Kringle

There's also just 40oz of malt liquor... In plastic bottles....if that's your thing.

Raijin Quickfoot on

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I had a beer last night. It was tasty and someone else paid for it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I had a beer last night. It was tasty and someone else paid for it.

That makes it taste better!

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I bought a six pack of Lancaster (Pennsylvania) Brewing Company Something something Hop Buggy, and a four pack of Lancaster Brewing Company Something Hop Hog Southern Cross.

Both are very good. The first one is a wheat beer, I think. The Hop Hog is a double IPA.

You can now beer at some gas stations in PA, which is really nice and convenient.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm ready for some holiday spiced beers.

• AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    I'm glad that porters and stouts are not the in thing because it prevents every company from making an average (though perfectly serviceable) brew.

It is rather annoying when the only thing on the menu is a Guinness though.

Beer problems.

Nothing. Matters.
    Guinness is like water. I'm always amazed how they pour this dark full looking beer, then you drink it and it's basically water.

• HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Guinness is like water. I'm always amazed how they pour this dark full looking beer, then you drink it and it's basically water.

Somebody has to be the gateway to dark beers.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Hawkstone wrote: »

Somebody has to be the gateway to dark beers.

Far as I'm concerned you can just make it a wall. I ain't never need to go there.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Give all the stouts and porters to meeeee

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    Hey! Did you get to try the ruM barrel aged Death by Coconut at GABF?

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I did not. At festivals I try to steer clear of safe or familiar beers.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    My little town did alright! Jack Pine won a bronze for their Jalapeño cream ale and our new brewery won a bronze in the rye division.

Overall Minnesota did not have a good year though.

Oooo I had the jalapeño cream ale.

It was delicious.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    Yes! That's from Baxter, MN. I love that shit. I can get it bottled here.

• The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Stone is laying off 5% of it's workforce (approx 75 jobs).

I find it little disconcerting to have them planning hotels/opening new facilities and then wheeling around and axing staff.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Not really a fan of hops, but I'll happily drunk stuff from the lighter end of beers and also all the dark beers.

Mostly I've just been on a cider kick for the last few years though. Downeast cider is pretty good!

Peccavi on
    I feel like we're overdue for a salsa exchange.

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    the cool thing about malt liquor is it gets you drunk

6vjsgrerts6r.png

Well tell them some guy you know from the internet gives them his seal of approval.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    Deadfall wrote: »

Well tell them some guy you know from the internet gives them his seal of approval.

I will!

I feel like we're overdue for a salsa exchange.

I was actually thinking about this after GABF. I'll put something up this weekend if I have time.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    I'm having some modelo tonight. It gets the job done

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I have finally come to the conclusion that I don't like ales. I used to think it was IPAs, but really it's all ales. I'll stick to lagers and stouts from now on. I'm getting to old to try new shit and there's plenty of choices among lagers.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    The Lancaster brewing company hop buggy is an Amish grain amber ale. "Amish grown oats, wheat and rye from Lancaster county give our hopped up amber ale righteous malt body, while buggy loads of hops deliver an over the top hop character."

5.8 abv
    55 IBU

What's IBU?

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    I'm having some modelo tonight. It gets the job done

Especial, or Negra? BTW, very happy they now sell a combo case.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    I can once again confirm that if you leave your growler alone for over a week, you should be in the clear if the seal was never cracked and you have no air in the container. This was 10 full days from fill to first taste and it's still all good.

On second thought, it's an IPA from Pfriem so 'all good' is putting it mildly.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
    the power might go out and i am waiting for the amazon prime man to bring me my miller high life

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    the power might go out and i am waiting for the amazon prime man to bring me my miller high life

I am scandalized.

sarukun wrote: »

I am scandalized.

idgi

6vjsgrerts6r.png

I am scandalize by the notion that people drink Miller High Life.

(Not really)

that's a weird behavior of mine to get scandalized by dogg

i exist to bring others shame

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    A taproom is going to open catty-corner from my apartment in the near future and I am simultaneously excited and worried about what this will mean for my drinking habits.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    There is a microbrewery in town that makes seasonal beers, and starting in November they've got this cranberry sour that is just the best beer ever. Usually I just drink Stella, but this shit changed my life when I tried it. Next time I go to the pub I'll get more info on it in case it's actually a thing you can order at Total Wine or BevMo or whatever.

that's a weird behavior of mine to get scandalized by dogg

i exist to bring others shame

I am often scandalized by people who like things I do not like.

I am a delicate flower prone to fainting spells and the vapours.

• stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    I have a real job, but what I really want to do with my life is have cats and brew beer.
    I gotta move further out from the CBD so I have space for that.

Carrot cake brown transferred in my keg. And brewing an imperial red I think Sunday to fill my new second keg.

And then next Saturday I'm pouring beers for Dry Dock's 11th anniversary party.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Witness Me

Rogue has their own cooper, and their master distiller was pulling samples of their rye and dead guy whiskies from the casks for us. I have dined on honeydew, and drunk the milk of paradise.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
    edited October 2016
    A wall of rye.
    Edit: having a hard time getting a photo uploaded on mobile.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
    When I get home to a real keyboard I have quite a story for you. These Rogues are swell folk.

brDe918.jpg