As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Space [chat]

1939495969799»

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    The lady actually spent 40 min going deeply into the etymological roots of nerdcore, its influences, and its importance and place in today's world but it was cut for time

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Can next chat be Nobel Laureate [chat] and just have an OP of Dylan songs

I'm out of salt in my cupboard and need to harvest some

Yes but the OP is just autotuned Obama singing

autotune the newwwwwwwws

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Nobel: Obama Sings Dylan would be an album I paid full price for on vinyl

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Lyrical subjects are all silly anyhow

This is a silly statement.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Metal has funny lyrics.

I love me some metal, but...

• Options
    KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    Folk music is dumb

Why isn't there an un-awesome button? :(

Folk music is fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaI5IRuS2aE&list=PLw9LHJQG82Hnv_kzvBoPTV1-hA7c8X6UF&index=5

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Lyrical subjects are all silly anyhow

This is a silly statement.

Well of course it is

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    rap lyrics are extremely important to most rap fans.

• Options
    Metal has funny lyrics.

I love me some metal, but...

Metal knows exactly how important lyrics are

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    what if we just got rid of lyrics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wAAAm-iNvA

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    apparently Attenborough will be narrating Planet Earth II

did he visit quartermain's fountain of youth at some point, because dang

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    On Friday, the liberal justice said she should not have denounced NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick’s silent protests during the national anthem as “dumb” and “disrespectful.”

“Barely aware of the incident or its purpose, my comments were inappropriately dismissive and harsh,” Ginsburg said in a brief statement issued Friday afternoon. “I should have declined to respond.”

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Organichu wrote: »

But not all

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    *listens to ohiocore*

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    I don't want to bring chat down, but I found out some awful news, and need to get it off my chest.
    I found out that an old childhood friend, a girl down the street who was this tomboy that I had the biggest 8-year-old crush on, found out that she was killed by her husband about six months. ago. The last picture of her on her facebook is her with her dog that she got like 13 years ago.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »

Not me

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    lyrics are interesting to me because they are often not strong enough to stand on their own but there is something in the human voices that makes their meaning more performative

• Options
    Sometimes they are but a lot of times I just like the way the flow sounds against the beat

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Sometimes they are but a lot of times I just like the way the flow sounds against the beat

but the flow is still part of the lyrics!

i think that people often mistake meaning as the only part of a word rather than just one of the many components

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Rap lyrics are kind of unimportant

yes, lyrics are unimportant in a genre who's name means to speak.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    For me lyrics are paramount above the music.

I care about the story being told far more than the annything else, and not just in rap.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    i personally do not go to lyrics for deep meaning or story

it's great when they do hold up and offer something there

but i am far more interested in the intersectionality of music and words and the experience that creates rather than breaking that down into separate parts

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    my mind boggles

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    when lyrics are good they are fucking awsome and can give me that chill down the spine just like really good music, but it is secondary to the music itself. If your music sucks, I don't care how good your lyrics are.

And with that I am off. Byeeeeee

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Geth, recycle the thread.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was blasting along at warp 4.5

@Vanguard will create the new thread
    @Ludious is backup

This discussion has been closed.