As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The thread that goes bump in the night! [Spooky] Thread y'all!

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    I honestly have never liked clowns

I'm glad McDonalds dropped Ronald for hip-hop jingles

• InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Invectivus on
  • Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    I honestly have never liked clowns

I'm glad McDonalds dropped Ronald for hip-hop jingles

Ronald and Bozo were all right. That's about it.

kyrcl.png
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Until Dawn: Rush of Blood is utterly fantastic so far, easily my favorite VR game as well as my favorite horror experience this year. It represents everything I was hoping for with the tech, and it they can knock it out of the park this early on, I can't wait to see what new experiences future games will provide.

I also had my mother try the Kitchen demo. She lasted less than sixty seconds. I always thought people hastily tearing the headset off their heads was an exaggeration until I witnessed it with my own eyes.

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    So the Reaident evil hd remake is one of the free psn games this month and well its spookytober and ive played maybe two levels worth of a resident evil game in my life

Damn is this game good and spooky on the level of camera and sound work combined with limited resources

Paet of the reason im getting through it is psn party chat yo fake bravado when I frequently turn into a scared baby

And running is a real good idea in this game

icGJy2C.png
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    So the Reaident evil hd remake is one of the free psn games this month and well its spookytober and ive played maybe two levels worth of a resident evil game in my life

Damn is this game good and spooky on the level of camera and sound work combined with limited resources

Paet of the reason im getting through it is psn party chat yo fake bravado when I frequently turn into a scared baby

And running is a real good idea in this game

Is that basically Resident Evil 1, the one set mostly in the mansion? If so, avoiding combat as much as possible is definitely the way to go.

Yeah I think its the first one its inside a mansion

I shoulda picked Chris though he has better marvel combos

https://youtu.be/zHIVFs4k5jI

icGJy2C.png
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    REmake is the best remake since The Thing. Cause how do you scare someone whose played this thing before? Fuck with their expectations!

Someone who played Resi1 knows that when you walk down that hallway, a dog jumps out at you. But in REmake...
    the window cracks. No dog. And there will be no dog unless you trigger it by entering that room from the opposite side. Until then, you're stuck wondering if this is the time the dog will jump through the window

That scare and tension specifically only exists for someone with expectations from playing the old version. And the game is loaded with those moments. Da bes. <3

Oh brilliant
    Also just watched and messed around on thr Unedited footage of a bear

Now im watching This House has People in it

Dang adult swim

Dang

icGJy2C.png
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I started playing the RE Remake a while back.

It's much the same but there's also much that's different. It feels like they got post-RE4 elements mixed into my RE1, which is a little disappointing since I don't like the direction they took RE after RE4.

I am currently working on Silent Hill 3. It's been in my backlog for at least a decade now. Old-school style, using my PS2.

RT800 on
    REmake predates RE4 by some years. Zero too! That was the last 'Classic' Resi game. Not as good as REmake or Code Veronica tho.

Oh brilliant
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Ah that's true. I remember it originally came out on the GameCube and that pissed me off because all previous games had been for the PS1, then Code: Veronica was for the Dreamcast and it felt like I had to buy every goddamn console on the planet if I wanted to keep up with the Resident Evil series.

RT800 on
    edited October 2016
    Phew thanks barry your such a good guy

Knew putting that busted shotgun away would fuck me

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Until Dawn: Rush of Blood is utterly fantastic so far, easily my favorite VR game as well as my favorite horror experience this year. It represents everything I was hoping for with the tech, and it they can knock it out of the park this early on, I can't wait to see what new experiences future games will provide.

I also had my mother try the Kitchen demo. She lasted less than sixty seconds. I always thought people hastily tearing the headset off their heads was an exaggeration until I witnessed it with my own eyes.

Hey so what is it actually like
    does it tie into the story of the main game?

Grey Ghost wrote: »

Hey so what is it actually like
    does it tie into the story of the main game?

I don't know if there's a direct connection, but there's definitely a ton of callbacks and references.
    They basically treat the masked killer like some sort of paranormal entity/Scarecrow with fear gas. I think it's less about it being the same guy and more about the idea of putting the character in different roles/scenarios.

I think it's a neat idea you don't see too much these days: make the masked killer the face of the series without following any strict canon

Looked on the Wiki to find out more, since it's unlikely I'll get to play any time soon and I'm a big fan of the original game. Conceptual thpoilerth for Rush of Blood and the original Until Dawn!
    apparently the whole of Rush of Blood is set inside the mind of 'one of the original characters' during their descent into madness. That's gotta be Josh. Rush of Blood is what he's thinking about during Until Dawn, I guess! Which is neat, since the original game already had a lot of stuff set inside his mind with the analyst scenes and his late game hallucinations. Rush of Blood is just that stuff taken to an extreme.

So less anthology / spin off, and more of a weird expansion of one small aspect of the original.

Oh brilliant
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    Ah that's true. I remember it originally came out on the GameCube and that pissed me off because all previous games had been for the PS1, then Code: Veronica was for the Dreamcast and it felt like I had to buy every goddamn console on the planet if I wanted to keep up with the Resident Evil series.

They re-released it as Code Veronica X on the PS2 though!

You know what could be a neat idea? A monster generator that uses uploaded sounds and images.

Say you upload the sound of a flushing toilet and the generator creates a hideous sewer creature that vomits insects. Or the PSX startup sound that creates a crazy neon space alien. Upload a photo of an adorable dog and watch it twist and distort into something Lovecraftian.

Is this a moneymaker idea or did someone already invent it?

• TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    This thread is always on the ball when it comes to great scary movies

Has there been any released in the last few years anyone here would consider "essential viewing"?

The most recent one I saw was probably It Follows, and that was beyond fantastic. Looking to get my spook on next weekend with some good recommendations.

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Wreck-It Ralph.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    The Witch, while not strictly a horror film was bloody fantastic.

• Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    Super campy but I have seriously enjoyed the VHS series

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    You know what could be a neat idea? A monster generator that uses uploaded sounds and images.

Say you upload the sound of a flushing toilet and the generator creates a hideous sewer creature that vomits insects. Or the PSX startup sound that creates a crazy neon space alien. Upload a photo of an adorable dog and watch it twist and distort into something Lovecraftian.

Is this a moneymaker idea or did someone already invent it?

So an actual "monster" rancher eh

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    This thread is always on the ball when it comes to great scary movies

Has there been any released in the last few years anyone here would consider "essential viewing"?

The most recent one I saw was probably It Follows, and that was beyond fantastic. Looking to get my spook on next weekend with some good recommendations.

It Follows and Babadok are probably the mainstays. If you want a more Indy bit of treats I'd recommend Trick R Treat, VHS, The Taking of Deborah Logan (?), and Grave Encounters.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Green Room is, much like the witch, not strictly a horror movie but it is a fuckin harrowing experience.

yCx_nIPjawEHs-ToBIbf5FLhfo4zBacSl0OVbJgPkL0.jpg?w=450&s=b24fc4491deeeb8ea8fb810a861fc712

• HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Green Room is great. Has anybody here seen Southbound? It's not the most scary but I liked it quite a bit, just a few loosely linked vignettes with some cool premises. I'd say worth a shot.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    yCx_nIPjawEHs-ToBIbf5FLhfo4zBacSl0OVbJgPkL0.jpg?w=450&s=b24fc4491deeeb8ea8fb810a861fc712

If you're cold, so are they. Let them in!

• AzraithAzraith DON'T Registered User regular
    Hybrid wrote: »
    Green Room is great. Has anybody here seen Southbound? It's not the most scary but I liked it quite a bit, just a few loosely linked vignettes with some cool premises. I'd say worth a shot.

Got to see it at our local Alamo here. The 'feel' of it was great, a lot more cohesive as a whole compared to V/H/S. Loved the story of the guy trying to save the lady he hit with his car and the people he gets on 911.

kgefLUA.png
    Steam Live: Azraith PSN: AzraithDeMitri
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

Containment breach.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    vSBjVmERfAZzkHKxkaF0xiJ034a7npye2g67oGn7azk.jpg?w=800&s=05c997a417ef5471b35d1808ecf48655

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    They Look Like People is good.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    vSBjVmERfAZzkHKxkaF0xiJ034a7npye2g67oGn7azk.jpg?w=800&s=05c997a417ef5471b35d1808ecf48655

That picture kind of makes me feel better about 2016. At least we're only having a near brush with the apocalypse, instead of having it just move into our house for a decade.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Super campy but I have seriously enjoyed the VHS series

they're all chock full of female objectification tho

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Yeah, the VHS movies are absolutely sleaze horror.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    That first one was worthwhile imo. I've watched the others and they are just not very good.

• Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular

Just be sure to Let the Right One In.

kyrcl.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    For Halloween I really want to dress up as a clown, and hand out candy and pamphlets from a fake organization decrying recent events

Harlequins Opposing Nasty Klowns

YL9WnCY.png