As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Shadow Warrior 3] teaser trailer released for 3

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuTmitR5A7E

Man the gun designs are gorgeous

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Shadow Warriors was a nice surprise a few years back. Though it was a bit too long and I never beaten it. I really should go back to it and finish it.

I can't wait for the sequel.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Prohass wrote: »
    So the Heroic mode is straight up impossible right? Like its a joke?

I dug into and found it pretty beatable, except for the fight against your old boss. It's not that the fight is actually hard, it's just extreeeeeemely fucking long because they make you repeat the same part of it something like 8-10 times and the enemy gets a shitload of HP. The fight is seriously something like 60-90 minutes long, and it's the exact same moves endlessly.

And the fight happens twice.

I definitely could've beaten Heroic, there was just no way in hell I was going to spend 2-3 hours doing the exact same fight twice. Which isn't that bad, considering I beat the game something like 3 times before I went to try Heroic.

EDIT: Oh. That comment is from last October.

Um, yay new game footage!

Ninja Snarl P on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Yes, that footage was a thing that I want.

I need more. MORE.

Also, chainsaw.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    edited April 2016
    And they deliver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIikukPw9f4

ye ye ye ye ye ye

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    god damn so pretty. I hope theres still a robust story with all the random generation levels, because the character banter in the first one is something I really ended up enjoying.

Update: Pc release date of October 13 announced, for 40 dollars, with 10% off if you own shadow warrior 1 and preorder it. sooner than I was expecting! Unfortunately no news on console release dates yet.

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I've never finished the first one. Kind of went longer then I wanted it to....

Though, between now and October I have time to beat the first one......

I've never finished the first one. Kind of went longer then I wanted it to....

Though, between now and October I have time to beat the first one......

You totally should! It has some neat little character beats and levels. Though the second one looks to be a totally different beast

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Personally, I'm hoping we will get to
    somehow resurrect Hoji.

How that turned out for the original ended up surprisingly good, and I feel like Wang would go to bat for that guy pretty hard.

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    After seeing the trailer earlier this month I became really interested in this game but figured I should check out the previous game first. A friend was nice enough to gift it to me today. Unfortunately I have the bug that makes it so I can't create a profile.

Tried running steam as administrator, giving the steam library to full control (but not the steam itself), and switching the My Documents folder off of Read-only (it turns it immediately back on).

Any suggestions? All these methods appear to have worked previously from the threads about win10 which are over a year old but I'm having no luck.

It's a game of inches, getting ever so closer to release. A little more raw gameplay footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpDogn4ee90

persona4celestia.jpg
    Ok this comes out on the 12th! of this month! so this week! For PC at least, coming to consoles "early 2017"

• LehmanLehman Registered User regular
    Its out and its fucking awesome. Definitely the most fun I have had playing an FPS game in a long time. Granted, I never played the original or even heard of it for that matter until I saw videos for this game.

Xbox Live: LehmanCM
    SteamID: steamcommunity.com/id/lehmancm/
    BnS: Draggan (Server:Poharan)
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Oh shit Shadow Warrior 2 is out today? I might have to go for that, I got the touch baby

Steam: Spawnbroker
    edited October 2016
    Lehman wrote: »
    Its out and its fucking awesome. Definitely the most fun I have had playing an FPS game in a long time. Granted, I never played the original or even heard of it for that matter until I saw videos for this game.

My PC has recently been pretty unreliable, so as a massive shadow warrior fan Im left waiting for the console version next year. The pain!

reviews are all good too, ign 8.6, gamespot 8

Prohass on
  • Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    So recently just having played Doom after upgrading my PC I had no intention of getting this until I saw the GB quick look.

It ain't no Doom but it's a pretty decent looter shooter. About 20% in so far and spent most of time katana slicing and shot gunning.

Seems between the loot, skills and weapons there some scope for builds here, which makes sense since it four player co-op.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I could be playing this game right now. Could be, if my computer that I sent in to repair a simple problem with the power button had been fixed in under a week. But nope, still waiting for my PC to be returned...

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    Gonna be honest, I really freaking hate the focus on elemental damage bullshit here. I want to be zipping around murdering the hell out of stuff with guns and swords and explosions, not stopping in the middle of a fight to read off the list of resistances an enemy has just so I can actually fight them effectively. Not to mention they have crap like enemies that are resistant to physical or elemental attacks, so you HAVE to use elemental or non-elemental attacks instead of just being able to murder things.

Lots of enemies also blend into the environments to a ridiculous extent and particle effects frequently will take up your entire screen, so getting up close means a lot of blind flailing with swords or whatever. And the environments have a million things that block your movement and you can't jump over a lot of enemies, so it's pretty easy to get jammed up against a wall and inescapably surrounded when fighting a group of enemies.

The humor is still there in the writing, but man, I am not at all enjoying the combat here as much as in the original. It's sloppy, having to build up each and every weapon you use from the stacks of loot drops is utterly tedious, and you just throw out masses of damage into clumps of enemies until things start falling over. Things end up so muddled half the time that it's hard to even tell when something actually dies or just has a limb or body chunks shot off.

Kinda disappointed with the game, to be honest. Pretty obvious that this did not get anywhere near the same level of design attention as the first game.

• MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    So, I've gotten to the point in the game where smithing upgrades together has unlocked... but I have no idea how or where to do it. Anyone figure it out?

No haven't got that far yet for smithing.

@Ninja Snarl P. Your right with your gripes with this and I agree sometimes the screen is so busy it's hard to tell what's going on.

The whole elemental process is a bit much but my own personal work around is having a least one elemental effect on a weapon I like and making it my go to for that element.

I will say though so far I've had no real problem just hacking my way through majority of enemies with my high damage blade.

It's more B-movie than Blockbuster but I am having a lot of fun hacking things and occasionally laughing at some of the stupid things wang says.

No haven't got that far yet for smithing.

@Ninja Snarl P. Your right with your gripes with this and I agree sometimes the screen is so busy it's hard to tell what's going on.

The whole elemental process is a bit much but my own personal work around is having a least one elemental effect on a weapon I like and making it my go to for that element.

I will say though so far I've had no real problem just hacking my way through majority of enemies with my high damage blade.

It's more B-movie than Blockbuster but I am having a lot of fun hacking things and occasionally laughing at some of the stupid things wang says.

Yeah, I do the same thing, but I really hate having to swap around weapons because of stupid elemental resistances. Though even that probably wouldn't bother me too terribly much, if they didn't also throw in nonsense like enemies being resistant to physical attacks as well.

And a lot of the reason I liked the first game was because of how much I could finesse my way through combat. With this game, combat is terribly clumsy and messy; most of the time, I don't even know how well I'm actually doing against a blob of enemies. I just hack away until everything is dead or until I'm too damaged to fight, mostly because I just can't see anything at swordfighting range except masses of blood and elemental effects.

Really do not know what prompted the devs to switch from the gameplay style of the first game, to this very different and much cruder approach.

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I'm having a hard time getting into this game. It's hard not to compare it to Doom. The map isn't nearly as good as Doom. Like the first Shadow Warrior, the enemies can get a bit bullet spongey. And there's something off about the physics. Objects don't feel like they have any mass, it's like they're made of plastic.

I haven't played the previous game so it's hard for me to make a comparison. It's very easy to hack away with reckless abandon and just murder everything quite easily or if they are resistant a long period of time which can be a confusing mess. I agree on that point.

I do have to say it's funny in some places.

While the Doom marine was a silent and aggressive protagonist which was well done in moments of context I have to say Lo Wang is the mirror opposite of a brash but occasionally funny character that no other NPC agrees with, which in itself is funny.

I'm having a hard time getting into this game. It's hard not to compare it to Doom. The map isn't nearly as good as Doom. Like the first Shadow Warrior, the enemies can get a bit bullet spongey. And there's something off about the physics. Objects don't feel like they have any mass, it's like they're made of plastic.
    Yeah, I fight really hard to not put it right up against DOOM, but I can't help it. For whatever reason, the devs veered from the melee-oriented combat of the original, and towards hugely more gun-oriented combat. And the map design sucks for the mobility the game gives you; Wang is constantly getting caught on all sorts of bits of terrain.
    While the Doom marine was a silent and aggressive protagonist which was well done in moments of context I have to say Lo Wang is the mirror opposite of a brash but occasionally funny character that no other NPC agrees with, which in itself is funny.
    I dig the hell out of Wang still, which just makes it even more of a shame that they basically completely ditched the surprisingly decent story bits and cutscenes from the original. His commentary is great in general, but now it's tacked on to a story which a pretty weak justification for going to different unrelated maps.

I'm not too fond of the weapon upgrade system. Half the time, you're just replacing an existing upgrade with one that give +2% more damage. A lot of it is just tedious filler to pad out the game.

• texasheattexasheat Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Although this game has like many of you have said, has some down sides, there are some really great up sides too. Check out Master Smiths personal...uh...weapon...
    c9ggxkgzactj.jpg
    wai5f4s1z9aq.jpg

I've never uploaded files here before, hope this works....

texasheat on
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    texasheat wrote: »
    Although this game has like many of you have said, has some down sides, there are some really great up sides too. Check out Master Smiths personal...uh...weapon...

I've never uploaded files here before, hope this works....

@texasheat those are way over the size limit.

That's what she said.

• doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    I find this game pretty fun and all

But I get network issues

All

The

Freaking

Time

what a happy day it is
    New free content patch (hate to call it DLC, since it's free) came out today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymNewPny5x4

persona4celestia.jpg
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I'm probably gonna go back into SW2 in the new year. I enjoyed my first run through a lot.

edited May 2017
    WE FINALLY HAVE A CONSOLE DATE

May 19

God damn what an exhausting wait. Finally, so excited :):)

Prohass on
    I kind of ended up really disappointed by shadow warrior 2, the loot shooting was part of it, but it was also really amateurish in a lot of other ways and didn’t have the underdog energy of 1. So this will have to do a lot to bring my hopes back up

https://youtu.be/MQi5qL2esn4

• danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    That teaser did nothing for me. :( It felt flat.

danx on
    edited July 2020
    danx wrote: »
    That teaser did nothing for me. :( It felt flat.

Yeah it’s about ten to fifteen years late to the whole “self aware” party. 1 had flashes of more, of actual character development, why do games like this seem intent to advertise using this kind of vibe? Like bulletstorm, great story and characterisation, and all people know it as is a cheesy joke marketing campaign

Have some faith in your product guys!

Prohass on
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yayyyy willl def be picking this up day one.

Both the others were great and it felt like a good way to continue the series.

Something duke did not do.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I watched the teaser and was like "It's more Doom Eternal style with a Katana? I am in".

Looks great, but could use a bit more momentum to the movement.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    This video from IGN goes into a bit more detail, and I'm hype. Don't know about anyone else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUsIYpeR0rA

Also, worth giving the entire Devolver stream a watch on youtube. It's what marketing should be.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

edited July 2020
    Eh, I'll have to see. Shadow Warrior 2 was an enormous downgrade from the first game, with the coop focus being a huge distraction from building interesting gameplay and levels. The total lack of Shoji or somebody equivalent to take his place absolutely did not help, and I honestly couldn't tell if the second game had a story. I think put about 4-5 hours into it before the second game completely unsold me on every "new and improved!" aspect.

We'll see if the third game manages to feel like an actual Shadow Warrior game instead of shoddy DLC built from the chopped-up resources of the prior game and filled with unpolished gameplay.

Ninja Snarl P on