As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Supernatural]: This is why we can't have nice things, Sam.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    One potential story element that I was really looking forwards to that didn't happen
    There exists a means to close the gates of Hell, which would have prevented demons from ever showing up again. I thought it might have been cool to do that, but as a consequence no human souls could get into Hell either, which resulted in the number of evil ghosts hanging around skyrocketing. Then you could get all kinds of new ghosts to deal with, ghosts that aren't in that weird ghost-haze where they don't know what they're doing, ghosts that are totally aware they're dead and have full control of their mental faculties, ghosts merging together into really powerful poltergeists - the big bad could be a kind of super ghost...

I don't know, I feel like that would be cool. Maybe the Reaper lady, Billie, tries to become the new Death and screws up how ghosts are made somehow. The show started with ghosts, there's still meat there, metaphorically.

H9f4bVe.png
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    One potential story element that I was really looking forwards to that didn't happen
    There exists a means to close the gates of Hell, which would have prevented demons from ever showing up again. I thought it might have been cool to do that, but as a consequence no human souls could get into Hell either, which resulted in the number of evil ghosts hanging around skyrocketing. Then you could get all kinds of new ghosts to deal with, ghosts that aren't in that weird ghost-haze where they don't know what they're doing, ghosts that are totally aware they're dead and have full control of their mental faculties, ghosts merging together into really powerful poltergeists - the big bad could be a kind of super ghost...

I don't know, I feel like that would be cool. Maybe the Reaper lady, Billie, tries to become the new Death and screws up how ghosts are made somehow. The show started with ghosts, there's still meat there, metaphorically.

I was thinking a similar thing would happen a while back when all the angels were booted out of heaven. Human souls gaining power and/or being recruited into doing angel things (maybe even by Metatron), but lacking the same impassiveness or dedication or whatever. Would've made more sense than all the angels spontaneously becoming mass murdering serial killers like that season became. Ugh.

As for the finale here, I'm pretty meh on it for many of the same reasons people have said. All that setup on the Men of Letters woman was pretty dumb for it going nowhere. I was expecting her to show up at the end as the deus ex machina with some way to imprison/address Amara and God in some way, but no. Just a really weak cliffhanger and like... "Who cares about the world ending? Let's go punish this guy for... ignorance? Fuck that guy, for being ignorant after those Americans were completely wiped out, am I right?" The soul bomb thing was also really weak. They just, what, forgot souls are a source of raw power? We tried personally, but using those things we have bazillions of to power ourselves up? Nah.

And Amara's change of heart should've been started much MUCH earlier in the season, and continually screwed up by the various attempts to manipulate and/or kill her, not all dropped into approximately a couple very brief scenes and then a sappy family speech from Dean.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »

I was thinking a similar thing would happen a while back when all the angels were booted out of heaven. Human souls gaining power and/or being recruited into doing angel things (maybe even by Metatron), but lacking the same impassiveness or dedication or whatever. Would've made more sense than all the angels spontaneously becoming mass murdering serial killers like that season became. Ugh.

As for the finale here, I'm pretty meh on it for many of the same reasons people have said. All that setup on the Men of Letters woman was pretty dumb for it going nowhere. I was expecting her to show up at the end as the deus ex machina with some way to imprison/address Amara and God in some way, but no. Just a really weak cliffhanger and like... "Who cares about the world ending? Let's go punish this guy for... ignorance? Fuck that guy, for being ignorant after those Americans were completely wiped out, am I right?" The soul bomb thing was also really weak. They just, what, forgot souls are a source of raw power? We tried personally, but using those things we have bazillions of to power ourselves up? Nah.

And Amara's change of heart should've been started much MUCH earlier in the season, and continually screwed up by the various attempts to manipulate and/or kill her, not all dropped into approximately a couple very brief scenes and then a sappy family speech from Dean.

yeah, it feels like the show is just someone taking bad fanfiction and using it as a script.

• kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    The angels getting kicked out of heaven might be my biggest story disappointment on the show thus far, in terms of promise vs. results. The angels falling was a really cool way to end Season 8, but all it led to was more factional angel civil war bullshit.

I would also be thrilled for Michael/Adam (still played by Jake Abel) to get out of the cage and have a huge grudge against absolutely everyone.

On the finale. Overall I liked it.
    Even though the execution probably could have been smoothed out a bit, I like that the conflict with the Big Bad was actually resolved peacefully for once. It was a nice change of pace.

I liked that the boys went on an old-fashioned ghost hunt.

I like that Billie the Reaper came back into the story.

The hooks for next season I'm a little more meh about. The Woman of Letters being sent to apprehend Sam and Dean seems kind of...underwhelming at this point in the series.

I am mildly curious to see what they're going to do with Mary, but until I see how it goes I'm kind of whatever about it. It was neat to see Samantha Smith pop up, though, since I don't think she's been on the show since Season 6.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Rick Springfield to Play Lucifer in ‘Supernatural’ Season 12
    The devil will be facing some new “Affairs of the Heart” in “Supernatural” season 12.

The musician has been cast as Lucifer in “Supernatural” Season 12 and will play the devil in the first few episodes of the season. Executive producers Robert Singer and Andrew Dabb announced the news at the CW show’s Comic-Con panel on Sunday, moderated by Richard Speight Jr. and Rob Benedict, who played Gabriel and Chuck (aka God) on the long-running series).

“Rick Springfield is going to be the new Satan,” Speight said at the event.

Last season, Lucifer took possession of Castiel’s body, and will be trying out another vessel in the new season, the producers revealed. “You need a really strong vessel like Sam, like Castiel,” said Singer.

“The first vessel that [Lucifer] feels comfortable with is a rock star who’s a little bit on the down side who’s trying to come back,” Singer explained.

Dabb told fans at the convention that they wanted a real rock star for the role of the washed-up Vince Vicente, but one who “could act.” “If you’ve seen ‘Ricki and The Flash’ or ‘True Detective’ recently, he’s really great.”

Along with his roles in “Ricki and the Flash” and “True Detective,” Springfield also played Dr. Noah Drake in “General Hospital.” “Supernatural” season 12 will premiere after “DC’s Legends of Tomorrow” on Thursday, Oct. 13, at 9 p.m.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

yeah, it feels like the show is just someone taking bad fanfiction and using it as a script.

Like fighting Hitler?

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Like fighting Hitler?

This is just crazy enough to work.

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    So the new season premiered this past Thursday, and I thought it was pretty good overall?
    I really liked how they really dealt with how jarring it would be for Mary to be pulled into the present after being dead for 30 years, and seeing her son be the one thing she didn't want.

I also liked how the show used how smart Sam was in the fake-out suicide to get his captives to open the door, with the only thing stopping him being the fact that his foot had been mutilated with a blow torch keeping him from escaping.

I'm excited to see where the show goes from here.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    So the new season premiered this past Thursday, and I thought it was pretty good overall?
    I really liked how they really dealt with how jarring it would be for Mary to be pulled into the present after being dead for 30 years, and seeing her son be the one thing she didn't want.

I also liked how the show used how smart Sam was in the fake-out suicide to get his captives to open the door, with the only thing stopping him being the fact that his foot had been mutilated with a blow torch keeping him from escaping.

Personally, I'm loving
    The British Men of Letters just getting sick of watching the Winchesters Winchestering their way into and out of dooming the earth a half dozen times over the series, and finally deciding to do something about it.
    "In England, we don't have monster attacks. Because when they do show up, our wards let us know, then we go to work. 30 minutes later the monster is dead and safely disposed of."

Do kind of wish that meeting had gone a bit differently. It would have been a great opportunity for a nice fat info dump for new comers to the series (assuming there are still newcomers).

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Well
    The British Men of Letters are total pricks.

Of course the Winchester are reactionary when it comes to monsters. They're a couple of brothers raised in the family business of monster hunting, not a centuries-old organization with hundreds of members and financial backing. Where the hell have the British Men of Letter been? Just letting America rot while complaining about "world-ending" threats from across the pond? What if "Bahamut the World-Eater" shows up in North Carolina instead of Wales? They haven't tried to extend their reach outside of Britain until now?

If they're so good at their jobs, how about a formal introduction and offer of tutelage? Instead, they go straight for the kidnapping and torture? Not even a "knock it off" warning?

They've come out of the gate so villainous it barely even makes sense.

Also
    So tired of Sam and Dean getting their asses kicked up and down the sidewalk. Shouldn't they be at least somewhat good at fighting by now?

Its seems like every time they fight they're basically just buying time for someone to "sneak up behind the bad guy" or for the bad guy to trip and break their own neck.

I can't remember the last time Dean actually won a straight-up fisticuffs. (when he wasn't evil)

RT800 on
    edited October 2016
    see317 wrote: »

Personally, I'm loving
    The British Men of Letters just getting sick of watching the Winchesters Winchestering their way into and out of dooming the earth a half dozen times over the series, and finally deciding to do something about it.
    "In England, we don't have monster attacks. Because when they do show up, our wards let us know, then we go to work. 30 minutes later the monster is dead and safely disposed of."

Do kind of wish that meeting had gone a bit differently. It would have been a great opportunity for a nice fat info dump for new comers to the series (assuming there are still newcomers).
    The part that bugs me, and maybe I'm not remembering the parts with season 11 correctly, is if they really want all of the information from the Winchesters, why not reach out to them and talk to them normally? If you want to try and kill them later get the drop later, but they would probably be more open to a conversation if they weren't shot and tortured first.

As for fisticuffs:
    The one that comes to mind for Dean is him taking out a whole room of demons, by himself, to prove to Cain he had the martial prowess to wield the mark.

Also, didn't Dean beat Cain in a fight?

never die on
    edited October 2016
    Ehhh demons don't count.

They're the nameless, faceless storm troopers of Supernatural that used to be considered a serious threat until the writers decided to bump them down to the rank of "bumbling idiot minions that can't do anything right".

RT800 on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I've not watched the new episode but I figure part of the reason demons aren't a threat is because Crowley doesn't go after the Winchesters. Otherwise, yeah, enemy degradation/escalation is a thing.

• kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    I enjoyed the premiere, I think largely on the strength of
    the Dean and Mary stuff. They did a good job with the writing there. I enjoyed the Sam side of the story less, but Sam himself was good -- I just don't like how they've written the MoL so far. Namely...
    RT800 wrote: »
    Well
    The British Men of Letters are total pricks.

Of course the Winchester are reactionary when it comes to monsters. They're a couple of brothers raised in the family business of monster hunting, not a centuries-old organization with hundreds of members and financial backing. Where the hell have the British Men of Letter been? Just letting America rot while complaining about "world-ending" threats from across the pond? What if "Bahamut the World-Eater" shows up in North Carolina instead of Wales? They haven't tried to extend their reach outside of Britain until now?

If they're so good at their jobs, how about a formal introduction and offer of tutelage? Instead, they go straight for the kidnapping and torture? Not even a "knock it off" warning?

They've come out of the gate so villainous it barely even makes sense.

This. I can understand them thinking the Winchesters are huge fuckups that they need to intervene with, but it seems like they're treating them like straight up villains. They were immediately hostile to Sam and jumped straight to torture when he didn't want to talk. The other one sure looked like she was about to straight up kill Dean and Cas. It doesn't make any sense unless they think the Winchesters are Actual Bad Guys, which they shouldn't if they're actually informed about who they are and what they've done.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    I've not watched the new episode but I figure part of the reason demons aren't a threat is because Crowley doesn't go after the Winchesters. Otherwise, yeah, enemy degradation/escalation is a thing.

Well, they did 'sister of the omnipotent lord and master of the universe who is possibly even tougher that he is', so there's really nothing else to do but try and make some more down to earth threats.

Just hope this doesn't turn into a 'the worst monster of all is man!' thing.

H9f4bVe.png
    RT800 wrote: »
    Ehhh demons don't count.

They're the nameless, faceless storm troopers of Supernatural that used to be considered a serious threat until the writers decided to bump them down to the rank of "bumbling idiot minions that can't do anything right".

Exactly. When:
    The lady showed up I thought that Dean would totally win in the end. Nope. You have to have the old "knife sticking through the chest while a person looks shocked" thing. Very disappointed in that part of the episode as they set Dean up when he gave that speech over the cell phone about the lengths he would go to get Sam back.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Okay so I'll watch this show until its off the air, but
    The whole "We're the BRITISH MEN OF LETTERS and we've got our shit together and don't have any monster problems.

LIKE WHERE THE FUCK WERE YOU THE LAST SEVENTY GODDAMN YEARS!? FUCK YOU ENGLAND!

are YOU on the beer list?
    The whole "We're the BRITISH MEN OF LETTERS and we've got our shit together and don't have any monster problems.

It's because
    The old man said no. Dun dun DUN!

• KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »

It's because
    The old man said no. Dun dun DUN!
    Old British man in change of the British supernatural? Is it going to be Merlin? Evil Merlin?

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular

I wish I had your gumption and dedication.

Aaaaand Dean is immediately captured because of course he is.

I want to root for these guys but come on.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

i am english and can confirm we have no monster problems we dont even have poisonous spidars

also when are supernatural doing cthulhu i was assuming that was the only possible next move and instead its just liek o no evil organisation o nooooo

obF2Wuw.png
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    unless england is actually huge cthulhu cult which i will accept as possible

obF2Wuw.png

It is now, it'd explain a lot.

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

It explains the welsh at least.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious

i am english and can confirm we have no monster problems we dont even have poisonous spidars

also when are supernatural doing cthulhu i was assuming that was the only possible next move and instead its just liek o no evil organisation o nooooo

Yeah, I *wish* they'd revisit eldritch abominations again. Do it right this time!

H9f4bVe.png
    Yeah, maybe not quite Cthulhu but I really wish they'd gone more that direction with the Leviathans. Ancient, destructive, totally alien. Instead they just made them stronger demons.

Re: latest episode
    Oh thank god Rowena is still alive.

Also HOLY SHIT at that scene with Lucifer's jaw.

The Mary stuff continues to be pretty decent. I'm still not 100% on the storyline just because Mary's death feels like something that should just be left alone. But the original reveal of Mary being a hunter was a great twist and I am enjoying seeing more of that aspect of her character.

I dunno what to even say about the MoL stuff. The opening was gross, at least somebody slightly friendlier showed up, but it seems destined to all go bad again.

• KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Men of Lettuce.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
    Oh yeah I forgot Sam used to have psychic powers. I thought the writers did too.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    ...sigh...
    Fuck you, Ketch.

H9f4bVe.png
    Huh....

Most recent episode spoilers:
    Did I miss something with Sam and Dean getting captured? Why didn't they have Castiel mind-wipe the guards again so they could get away? He literally just did it.

Huh....

Did I miss something with Sam and Dean getting captured? Why didn't they have Castiel mind-wipe the guards again so they could get away? He literally just did it.

Shitty writing

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Nothing was said about episode 7 but I thought it was really good, especially Lucifer's tirade at the end. Very heart-felt.
    Huh....

Castiel was escorting Kelly clear of the scene to deal with the Nephalim. Sam and Dean stayed behind to make sure the president was okay. The guards showing up earlier than expected was unplanned.

H9f4bVe.png
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    skeldare wrote: »

The good news is Padalecki and Ackles never have to worry about money ever again, they've got permanent job security.

It's had it's lows, but currently, I'm not sorry to hear that about the show.

H9f4bVe.png
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular

The good news is Padalecki and Ackles never have to worry about money ever again, they've got permanent job security.

Why did Constantine die but Supernatural gets to live? WHY?

I just wish these guys could be freed up to get other roles.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Kadoken wrote: »

Constantine's back. CW is making an animated series on CWSeed starring the dude that played him in the TV show.

Link.

e5ggm8bwcpbx.jpg

Sorce on
    sig.gif

Constantine failed at making itself an empire, Supernatural succeeded.

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

Constantine failed at making itself an empire, Supernatural succeeded.

Counterpoint: Constantine was stuck on fucking NBC, a network with no loyalty to any of its shows that aren't Law & Order. CW on the other hand is so loyal to its shows that they have way more than their schedule can reasonably handle. They also have a much lower bar for what they consider a success.

If say the CW having built up a solid viewer base of fans of cult like shows played a factor as well, but Supernatural (and The Vampire Diaries later on) was pretty much what brought that about.