As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GhostBusters: Aint Afraid of No Reviews

1212223242527»

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Total Lifetime Grosses
    Domestic: $127,960,612 55.9%
    + Foreign: $100,767,249 44.1%
    = Worldwide: $228,727,861

Production Budget: $144 million

All of that from here.

So... depending on what level of Hollywood accounting was used, it either made an OK profit, or it fell far short. Personally I'd bet against a sequel, at least one in the next year or three. There's a lot to sort out if they want to do a Ghostbusters 2. There just wasn't much from critics, fans or the box office take that would have a studio champing at the bit to push a sequel out quickly.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Well, the (user) reviews liked it if you take the obvious 10's and 1's voter out of the equation.
    The median for public reviews on IMDB is a fair 7.
    So overall, at least critics and public it liked it well enough, which means more fans buying (any) GB stuff.

Regarding a sequel, as Box Office should have been higher, they might wait untill the merchandise and home-movie sales are slowing down before they decide what the next big GB outting will be.

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    All this is from the IMDB detailed User Ratings page.

101639 IMDb users have given a weighted average vote of 5.4 / 10

Demographic breakdowns are shown below.
    Votes         Percentage       Rating
    17733	         17.4%	         10
    5162	         5.1%	         9
    9746	         9.6%	         8
    13019	         12.8%	         7
    12359	         12.2%	         6
    8499	         8.4%	         5
    4963	         4.9%	         4
    3826	         3.8%	         3
    4005	         3.9%	         2
    22327          	 22.0%	         1

Arithmetic mean = 5.6. Median = 6

Obviously some fraction of both the 1s and 10s are people being geese, but I haven't the foggiest how you'd filter those out.

Mostly it looks like an average movie that falls into the 'fine' to 'pretty good' range. Which is all good, but if you're putting out a $144M summer blockbuster movie, you're going to want either fat piles of cash coming in, or as a distant consolation prize, critical acclaim and a shot at some Oscars. Ghostbusters isn't really pulling in either, so while they might make a sequel, I don't think there will be a massive push to get one out soon. An additional point that probably has the studio worried: there was no China release. One possible reason is that ghosts are bad mojo as far as the government approval system over there goes. If so, then things could be really iffy for a sequel, since one argument for the relatively low box office is the lack of a China release, and if China isn't a fan of the whole 'Ghost' thing, then pitching the economics of a Ghostbusters' sequel gets even trickier.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

Obviously some fraction of both the 1s and 10s are people being geese, but I haven't the foggiest how you'd filter those out.

Mostly it looks like an average movie that falls into the 'fine' to 'pretty good' range. Which is all good, but if you're putting out a $144M summer blockbuster movie, you're going to want either fat piles of cash coming in, or as a distant consolation prize, critical acclaim and a shot at some Oscars. Ghostbusters isn't really pulling in either, so while they might make a sequel, I don't think there will be a massive push to get one out soon. An additional point that probably has the studio worried: there was no China release. One possible reason is that ghosts are bad mojo as far as the government approval system over there goes. If so, then things could be really iffy for a sequel, since one argument for the relatively low box office is the lack of a China release, and if China isn't a fan of the whole 'Ghost' thing, then pitching the economics of a Ghostbusters' sequel gets even trickier.

By using a trimmed mean. You trim the outlier values (1 and 10) and take the arithmetic mean of what's left. In this case, if you take out all 10s and all 1s, you get an average score of 7.5, which sounds about right for this movie.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited October 2016

Isn't IMDB unreliable?

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    User written movie reviews on something so derp inducing as this movie? Yeah, IMDB is probably a step or two above tea leaves. Still, Rotten Tomatoes averages to a 6.5 on the critic reviews, so IMDB isn't way off in the woods. I'm guessing that Ghostbusters is in the Fine/OK/Good (with a + or - based on the viewer) Movie range, with the added annoyance of dealing with comedy, where things are extra-special subjective.

Generally what I'm trying to say isn't that Ghostbusters sucked, therefore no sequel. Just that Ghostbusters was more or less average, depending on your taste in comedy, which given its budget means that the studio probably won't move too quickly on a sequel.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    So I'm seeing this tonight for the first time. For those who've seen both: Theatrical or Extended?

Theatrical.

Extended. SO much better it isn't even funny.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    So I'm seeing this tonight for the first time. For those who've seen both: Theatrical or Extended?

Theatrical.

Sounds like a bit of a problem for a comedy. >.>

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited October 2016

Theatrical.

Well, you're half right -- it still wasn't funny. The bathroom puking slime scene was so bad that I tried to turn it off but realized the remote wasn't close to me. So I just went to sleep instead.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Total Lifetime Grosses

All of that from here.

So... depending on what level of Hollywood accounting was used, it either made an OK profit, or it fell far short. Personally I'd bet against a sequel, at least one in the next year or three. There's a lot to sort out if they want to do a Ghostbusters 2. There just wasn't much from critics, fans or the box office take that would have a studio champing at the bit to push a sequel out quickly.

I can almost guaranteed the difference was eaten up by advertising even before Hollywood accounting kicks in.

I liked it fine, but unless Sony is extra-desperate to make Ghostbusters a thing, this is all we're getting.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Total Lifetime Grosses

All of that from here.

I can almost guaranteed the difference was eaten up by advertising even before Hollywood accounting kicks in.

I liked it fine, but unless Sony is extra-desperate to make Ghostbusters a thing, this is all we're getting.

But... Ghostbusters was already a thing! It's been a thing non-stop since the 80s! It's a thing in movies, in cartoons, in toys, in videogames, in artwork, in halloween costumes, in conventions... Sony has literally taken a self-powered self-propelled thing and spent $144M to grind it to a stop.

sig.gif
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Richy wrote: »
    Total Lifetime Grosses

All of that from here.

But... Ghostbusters was already a thing! It's been a thing non-stop since the 80s! It's a thing in movies, in cartoons, in toys, in videogames, in artwork, in halloween costumes, in conventions... Sony has literally taken a self-powered self-propelled thing and spent $144M to grind it to a stop.

By "thing" I meant "unending series of tentpole movies." This is an industry that has managed to decide we need five Fantastic Beasts movies, after all. I'm sure the dribs and drabs of merch and conventions and stuff will continue as they have been the last couple of decades.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular

Theatrical.

It is but it isn't at the same time.
    More jokes and funnier jokes, but the two dance scenes(the presentation and the one at the end) added back in, the weird 'ghost in the back of the old lady', and the stilted 'don't cross the streams' thing they added weren't good. Though, the new Ozzy line just about makes up for it...

I kinda want to make my own edit of it and rework a few things.

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Total Lifetime Grosses

All of that from here.

The fact that there is this much discussion and debate on if the movie was a disaster vs. just a disappointment is enough alone to see that Sony really dropped the ball on it. To be a fly on the wall at the Sony offices.....

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    Total Lifetime Grosses

All of that from here.

The fact that there is this much discussion and debate on if the movie was a disaster vs. just a disappointment is enough alone to see that Sony really dropped the ball on it. To be a fly on the wall at the Sony offices.....

It's an expectations problem. Supposedly, Sony was all up on getting a Ghostbusters Cinematic Universe going, because pitching a Cinematic Universe is how you get a corner office these days. What they ended up with wasn't some horrible flop, but definitely nowhere near what they wanted if a GCU was the goal.

• Options
    Total Lifetime Grosses

All of that from here.

Nah, the movie already gave the franchise a huge boost more than it's had in decades. Before the movie it was an obscure franchise few people cared about anymore. Now it's got another generation energized, it's relevant again, it's expanded into appealing to minorities and women than it ever did before. Sure they may have failed, so what? Worst case they slow down for a few years, learn from their mistakes and try again down the line. Personally, I think they next shot should be a tv series - and keep the movies in a separate universe.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

Theatrical.

Well, you're half right -- it still wasn't funny. The bathroom puking slime scene was so bad that I tried to turn it off but realized the remote wasn't close to me. So I just went to sleep instead.

Nah, it's easily my movie of the year. Not a bad part in it.

• Options
    edited October 2016

Theatrical.

Nah, it's easily my movie of the year. Not a bad part in it.

Well, there are a few parts I had a little trouble with, but not enough for me to make a post about how I went to sleep watching it.
    I never fall asleep watching movies in my be......ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Alphagaia on

See my profile here!
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    It's not a great film and what good it did for the franchise is debatable, but I got to drink memberberry juice ecto-cooler again so it's a wash.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    I'm glad I finally got to see it, if only to have some context for all the hullabaloo surrounding it. I can tell I'm certainly not the target audience for the movie but it does make me wonder who it was made for.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Shimshai wrote: »
    I'm glad I finally got to see it, if only to have some context for all the hullabaloo surrounding it. I can tell I'm certainly not the target audience for the movie but it does make me wonder who it was made for.

I assume it was primarily aimed at women, girls, and anyone who likes to have a good time watching people busting ghosts.

• Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2016
    Shimshai wrote: »

I assume it was primarily aimed at women, girls, and anyone who likes to have a good time watching people busting ghosts.

Bustin' makes me feel good...

And so does this movie. :)

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm a guy and found it perfectly watchable for both genders.
    Loved the effects as well. Except for two tiny hiccups at the end, they were really well done.

See my profile here!
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I was just bored during most of it honestly, the jokes fell flat for me.

The visuals certainly were fantastic and the effects were neat, but it wasn't enough to save it for me. It might have been a mistake watching the extended edition though, two hours felt too long.

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Apparently, Nerdist featured Kids in the Hall a while back.

• Options

• Options

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Christ, Rowan is a stupid character.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    I guess the thread died.

I am the only one left.

Oddly enough, this happens allot.

I am the wanderer.

• Options
    I just realized I am not in the chat thread.

Whoops.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Krathoon, this is the Ghostbuster thread, not the postbuster thread.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Christ, Rowan is a stupid character.

Yeah, a pseudo-intellectual who feels superior and ignored and who decides to take it out on the inferiors is stupid.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I just realized I am not in the chat thread.

Whoops.

I was so confused trying to figure out how that Kids In The Hall sketch tied back to Ghostbusters.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    There was such a ton of great Ghostbuster ideas in there. I loved the idea of the villain. I liked the idea of the characters' backstories.

However this was really really bad.
    It was miscast (or the actresses wasted). The humor was horrible. I don't even know where to go with a criticism because it was GI Joe 2 bad.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    GI Joe 2 was fucking rad, though.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    useless4 wrote: »
    There was such a ton of great Ghostbuster ideas in there. I loved the idea of the villain. I liked the idea of the characters' backstories.

It was miscast (or the actresses wasted). The humor was horrible. I don't even know where to go with a criticism because it was GI Joe 2 bad.

Rowan was under written, he had moments.

• Options
    useless4 wrote: »

Dying is easy, comedy is hard. I wonder if the takeaway from this film will be that $100M should be a hard cap on comedy budgets, with something closer to $50M being the upper limit unless you're doing a sequel (ex. The Hangover series).

Just realized, Fury Road had a $150M budget, Ghostbusters had $144M. I'd love to see detailed breakdowns of the costs of both movies. Is the CGI that expensive? Was it the actors' pay that drove the cost? The location costs of NYC? Perhaps just more 'titled' names in the credits looking for a piece because it's Ghostbusters?

• Options
    Feig said something about getting the licencerights alone already cost a LOT of money. Can't find the interview at the moment, but it's one of the latest ones.

See my profile here!