As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nintendo Switch: March 2017

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited October 2016 in Games and Technology
qNYhjkL.png
Launching March 2017

Moderator Notice: Console megathreads are not intended to stick around, and the same goes for the Switch. If the console proves popular enough to sustain game threads, then this thread will be retired. The thread may also be shut down if behavior becomes too toxic, exclusionary, or otherwise unpleasant to wade through. So please, behave yourselves and don't be shocked if this thread heads into the sunset one day in the distant future. This notice should be in every Switch thread.

YL9WnCY.png
Sterica on

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    You forgot to mention that Nintendo is getting real tired of people asking them about the NX in interviews. . . because they have just so much else to talk about. :razz:

I forgot about that 'third pillar" thing. I can honestly see this being in the same ballpark, at least in so far as a "successor" to the 3DS. If it works, "That was our plan all along!" and if it doesn't, "It was never meant to replace the 3DS!"

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I think NX is code for NeXt

INTERNET DETECTIVE

• HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Sure hope it plays video games!

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Since Nintendo is a Japanese company, it stands to reason that the X in NX means "Cross". As in, cross-over. Crossing over the gap of console and handheld.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I like the speculation that we'll go back to carts. That'd be kinda awesome. Assuming I can download everything digitally and they finally figure out an internet system that doesn't use weird ass archaic passcodes.

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    Doing everything digitally seems like a given, this will be the first console where I make the leap. I'm generally pretty excited about the idea of Nintendo unifying all development behind a single platform for the first time since the NES. I hope they can come up with a way to make this the best of both worlds rather than the worst of both worlds. My main fear if the rumors are accurate is that the public will perceive this as basically being the same thing as the Wii U; if the processing is all in the handheld then it probably won't be much more powerful, and will launch at a similar price. "It's like the Wii U expect you can play it as a real handheld" is a lukewarm sales pitch, I think they would need something more than that to really justify it.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The big question is "where does this fit in the Nintendo paradigm?" If it's a handheld or a handheld-that-is-totally-also-a-console-we're-not-leaving-home-consoles-swear, then carts make a fair amount of sense. If it's supposed to be a legit home console and proper successor to the Wii U, then carts have me a bit concerned. Maybe the technology has come far enough, and maybe we're digital enough so the media itself isn't as big a deal. The real problem with carts in the 90s was storage space and cost. That single-handedly knocked Nintendo off their throne, so I'm a bit wary when rumors of a cart-based system.

YL9WnCY.png
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    The big question is "where does this fit in the Nintendo paradigm?" If it's a handheld or a handheld-that-is-totally-also-a-console-we're-not-leaving-home-consoles-swear, then carts make a fair amount of sense. If it's supposed to be a legit home console and proper successor to the Wii U, then carts have me a bit concerned. Maybe the technology has come far enough, and maybe we're digital enough so the media itself isn't as big a deal. The real problem with carts in the 90s was storage space and cost. That single-handedly knocked Nintendo off their throne, so I'm a bit wary when rumors of a cart-based system.

The rumor I had heard was basically that flash media prices were such that it might actually be cost effective to do it that way. If so that'd be cool but with everything digital it doesn't really matter I guess.

• CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    So current rumors have the NX announcement finally happening next week and we have a new official NX thread?

Coincidence? I think not.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • ZekZek Registered User regular

Worst case, they could just make the carts straight up more expensive than the digital downloads. Sell their games for $60 in store, $55 online. Somebody's going to make a play to cut Gamestop out of the loop sooner or later, it may as well be Nintendo.

• glithertglithert Registered User regular
    I'm fine with it being a handheld, honestly. The 3ds is the only thing I really play games on anymore, except for my 360.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    One thing is guaranteed: the real name will be lamer and more confusing than the code name

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    the Wii U was a megaton failure, despite a pretty solid library on the whole. After failing to court third parties Yet Again, and a baffling ad campaign

They should embrace their baffling power, but use it for good.

2692440-why-we-need-bayonetta-2_o_3374033.jpg

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    The new rumor for today is that BG&E2 will be an NX exclusive

yeah sure, why not? No way an exclusivity deal with an Ubisoft game could fall through.

YL9WnCY.png
  • LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    I would like to see Nintendo open up their Scrooge McDuck size tower of money they have sitting around doing nothing and spend it marketing whatever the NX is. Get people excited about it! Most people didn't even know the Wii U was a thing.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2016

yeah sure, why not? No way an exclusivity deal with an Ubisoft game could fall through.

I'm more interested in the part of the rumor that suggests it will be announced with the NX reveal. If true, with as much as Ubisoft has started hyping that game up recently, the NX reveal would have to be coming really soon (it would be weird for Ubisoft to start teasing, then have a huge lull). That's assuming it's true of course, but Ubisoft has been particularly butt-kissy about the NX lately so it seems likely.

If Nintendo was smart, they'd put in the contract that Ubisoft isn't allowed to pull that Rayman Legends shit again :P Or if Nintendo is actually bankrolling some of this (possible given the troubled development and how it's suddenly in "pre-production" after all these years), they flat out couldn't.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular

If Nintendo actually ponies up for development and co-publishes, they could get it locked in, or at least get an actual timed exclusive (since Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge was co-published overseas but still went to PS360 in time). If it's just a plain-ol-deal like Rayman Legends, it will fall prey to Microsoft's demands on day-and-date release mirrors.

Emily Rogers is taking a good credibility risk making her twitter public over the next two weeks. She'll catch hell if she's wrong.

But evidence does suggest something's brewing within that timeframe. Other journalists are abuzz.

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Your guess is as good as mine.

Third pillar!

NNID: Rehab0
    Lail wrote: »
    I would like to see Nintendo open up their Scrooge McDuck size tower of money they have sitting around doing nothing and spend it marketing whatever the NX is. Get people excited about it! Most people didn't even know the Wii U was a thing.

This is what will happen if you tell Nintendo to spend money on marketing.

Nintendo: "We are proud to introduce our newest head of development, Mark Eting!"
    Mark: "Uh, hi. I'm not really sure why I'm here. I worked accounts receivable at a lumber supply company in Duluth."
    Nintendo: "Mark everybody! Give him a round of applause!"

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

The first thing marketing needs to do is change the name. People will think the NX is some kind of New XBOX.

edited October 2016
    emnmnme wrote: »

The first thing marketing needs to do is change the name. People will think the NX is some kind of New XBOX.

Nintendo New Wii Station Box!

Of course it'll be succeeded by the New Nintendo New Wii Station Box.

Axen on
    It's not doing nothing: apparently they make a killing on exchanges which has saved them from otherwise bad quarters.

YL9WnCY.png
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    The rumors have been pretty wacky so far (it has multiple parts, a 'processing unit dock' for playing on TV, a 'handheld' for lower quality on the go play or even entirely different gameplay like a beefed up Dreamcast VMU, and 'detachable controllers' that fit on the sides). I'm wondering if they're still going for a Spring 2017 release timeframe considering it's already mid-October. If it turns out to be basically a PS Vita/TV combo I will be disappointed though

• edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    The BG&E2 thing isn't really a new rumour. Destructoid broke it some months ago.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

I'm pretty sure Nintendo doesn't have a Scrooge McDuck tower of money. They seem to get by by being annoyingly frugal and trying really hard to avoid ever overextending. That does not speak of Scrooge McDuck towers of liquid funds.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »

I'm pretty sure Nintendo doesn't have a Scrooge McDuck tower of money. They seem to get by by being annoyingly frugal and trying really hard to avoid ever overextending. That does not speak of Scrooge McDuck towers of liquid funds.

At times I've heard people talk about Nintendo's "war chest" and how they could survive dozens of failed consoles like the Wii U. But then I've also heard people say that Nintendo simply can't compete with Sony and Microsoft in the power arena because they're such a smaller company. So which is it?

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Ark EvensongArk Evensong The NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    ... being annoyingly frugal and trying really hard to avoid ever overextending.
    That does sound like Scrooge McDuck, though.

What happened to that Clickable-Scrollwheel-as-Shoulder-Buttons rumor, anyway? I don't see it listed in any 'current rumor' lists. Did it turn out to be fake, or am I misremembering?

They probably do have a lot of money, but not 'survive two more Wii U-style generations' money.

• CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    But evidence does suggest something's brewing within that timeframe. Other journalists are abuzz.

Someone one NeoGAF pointed out something interesting: Gamexplain hasn't said a anything about the announcement rumors, and they report on the merest hint of anything NX related.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    The Nintendo Phantom?

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited October 2016

At times I've heard people talk about Nintendo's "war chest" and how they could survive dozens of failed consoles like the Wii U. But then I've also heard people say that Nintendo simply can't compete with Sony and Microsoft in the power arena because they're such a smaller company. So which is it?

It can be sort of both, actually. They probably have a decent bit saved, but what probably would let them survive another failed console or two is that, as I said, they basically don't spend a fourth as much as their competitors because they are comparatively tiny and annoyingly frugal with their development (Nintendo are apparently kind of annoying to work with, says a friend of mine that has worked with NoA), so that rainy day fund stretches a lot more. I have severe doubts that their "war chest" as you call it comes up to what Microsoft gets to invest and circulate in, like, a year. Seriously, Microsoft throws around some mad cash.

Course, the problem is that you can't get parity without similar spending, so it may be that all they're doing is making sure they burn down slowly instead of crashing. Unless they have an idea to turn things around, of course.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
    edited October 2016
    Cokomon wrote: »

Someone one NeoGAF pointed out something interesting: Gamexplain hasn't said a anything about the announcement rumors, and they report on the merest hint of anything NX related.

They may have a video they haven't gotten around to what with Pokemon and all, but who knows? Maybe they know something we don't.

edzepp on
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edzepp wrote: »

They may have a video they haven't gotten around to what with Pokemon and all, but who knows? Maybe they know something we don't.

Maybe that's just what they want us to think. (¬_¬)

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    The BG&E2 thing isn't really a new rumour. Destructoid broke it some months ago.

No, Destructoid updated with some new info and a re-affirmation of the rumor. Basically the new:
    -It's not a sequel but a remake/reboot of sorts of the first game
    -Still NX exclusive
    -Coming Summer 2018
    -Will be announced (with a cutscene, not gameplay) during the NX reveal

Edit:

What is the source of the rumors? Gamexplain has skipped on reporting rumors that didn't seem credible or believable plenty of times in the past.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    WTF is Frog Factions 2? In fact, what is Frog Factions 1?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

9rulh4zjhhec.jpg

Warlock82 wrote: »

No, Destructoid updated with some new info and a re-affirmation of the rumor. Basically the new:
    -It's not a sequel but a remake/reboot of sorts of the first game
    -Still NX exclusive
    -Coming Summer 2018
    -Will be announced (with a cutscene, not gameplay) during the NX reveal

OK, I see. However, I was just replying to Bobkins when he said that:

That part, at least, isn't new.

• QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    I'm excited for some nintendo stuff. My wiiu hasn't been plugged in for over a month now.
    There are games that have come out that I'd love to play, but cant justify it really.

Make Nintendo great again!

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    I think their statement on the war chest was without taking in money they could continue their operations as they were for 40 years

I am sure I am slightly off on recalling that amount of years but it was in that neighborhood

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »

9rulh4zjhhec.jpg

Oh my god that game was great!

This discussion has been closed.