As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

1235»

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    finally beat this. the trend of insufferable final boss fights continued, but everything after that made up for it.

now it's time to go back through the whole thing and play around with photo mode, because my god is this a pretty game.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    So I got to play and complete this, this week. It's better than 3, I was a bit sad that (lots of plot stuff)
    There's not really any mystic side to this one. The first has the curse, second I think it was immortality or at least great power and third was the mind-bending drug. This was just money. Though I guess its implied its kind of cursed since it incites overwhelming greed in everyone.

Also I can kinda see where maybe the plot arguments started to occur behind the scenes. At the start Avery is a penitent thief obsessed with Dumas, sets up all these ridiculously elaborate tests around a church which then leads to that even more elaborate pirate island with rising statues that in turn leads you to an even more elaborate town hidden on an island which is just a precursor to the yet even more elaborate town further into the island. Then it turns out he was just a greedy psychopath who may or may not have lured people there intentionally just to amass his fortune but this isn't stated (unless there are some hidden letters somewhere, I admit I was looking forward to reading the thoughts behind the man instead of just loads of arms strung from the rafters. I thought maybe to tie into his penitence he was drawing them all there to wipe all the criminals and thieves out with the flood, instead they built a paradise and then all went insane.

Like how he amassed all those arms and torsos and jaws without inciting a revolt much earlier is weird.

I did like hte collective of pirate bodies though, it does feel special to find the real resting place of all these legends. The flashback to the elderly adventurer was a bit on the nose, but the point is made about not letting the adventuring go.

I didn't get Rafe's obsession with Nate, seemed to be that he'd just gotten jealous of him over the previous 15 years because of his adventures.

The journey through the cave beneath Avery's mansion is the new sewer level, jesus christ, went on forever and those fucking mummy bombs. Give me more of the "penitent man must kneel" tests.

A lot of the game design, sometimes the obvious clues were hidden in part due to the grappling hook addition so things may be below you but you have to hang down to see it. I found combat really difficult this time, I used to be able to headshot fairly easily but in this, the bullets are coming so thick and often that the moment you lean out to aim and htus get anywhere near a head, your aim is being knocked around by the bullets.

Elena was handled well as was the relationship stuff, I'm glad we got a happy ending and it was touching to see the daughter after all these games. It was a decent end and I can't argue I didn't get my moneys worth but some disappointing endings to the treasure plot.

Oh and while I'm fairly sure the mysterious pirate was one huge reference to Guybrush Threepwood and Monkey Island, I was expecting some big twist where he turned out to be a major character. Ugh just realised I forgot to check the table to see if he was there.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    So I'm at Chapter 11, and I'm a little confused about Sam's last name. Not really a spoiler, but I'll tag it anyway.
    At one point, Nate introduces Sam as "Sam Drake". But I thought Nate only took the last name Drake because he thought he was a descendant of Sir Francis. So did Sam just say "Damn, bro, that's a good idea. I'm gonna use that too."? Just seems weird to me.

The old lady says their mom had theories about Drake's descendants.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Me and Lady Raven played through it a couple weeks back. It was her first Uncharted, she loved it too despite no previous attachment to the characters.

I think all things considered it's up there for my favourite. Maybe tied with 2. Spoilers for this one and Golden Abyss!
    I loved that there was no supernatural stuff. Not quite as cool as the Vita game's lil twist tho. That one had cursed gold, it'd kill anyone who took it. Oooo spooky! Turns out it was irradiated. No shit it killed people. No spooks, just a sad, real curse. This one didn't try and present a spooky thing to subvert.

Game was great. Don't really need a follow up tho.

Bring on Last Of Us 2, or Some More Of Us or 2 Us 2 Last

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I finished the game yesterday and greatly enjoyed it on the whole. I was prepared for it to end very differently, though:
    There was so much in the last third that hints at *someone* dying, most likely Nate or Elena. Several conversations come across as heavy foreshadowing, which is emphasised by the music, which leans heavily on melancholy. (I wish there'd been a moment when they use the original theme rather than the sad panda one they went with, but that's a different matter.) I'm glad Nate and Elena made it through and stuck together, but in hindsight it does feel like they were thumbing their noses at us.
    With respect to the DLC:
    I trust them to do a good job with whatever they decide to go with, but I'd prefer not to play Sam. He was a good character, but he's not a character I particularly feel I want to play. Personally I'd prefer some thing Sully-centric - or an adventure, though possibly a less high-stakes one, that has me play Elena, with Nate as the NPC.

So far I haven't touched the multiplayer part at all. Is it worth it? I'm an occasional multiplayer guy; I enjoyed games like Battlefield and Destiny well enough, but I'm usually not particularly good and tend more towards the coop side of things.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    79v9yukd4p7o.jpg

I saw this yesterday whilst out with my daughter. I tried twisting it to reveal a hidden passageway.

I just got shouted at by a gardener.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch