As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo 3DS] THIS THREAD IS DEAD, POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    To sum everything up:
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Yikes! Nintendo really needs to show off the NX with updated online support to ease everyone's nerves.

YL9WnCY.png
  • TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    I have been thinkin abour getting a 3DS again for Pokemon. Is it worth buying a New 3DS just for that, or should I just buy a cheap 2DS as a dedicated 'Mon machine.

Early reports suggest that the new Pokemon games won't even bother supporting 3D in battles at all. It'll be limited to a few areas / cutscenes. It may still run better on the n3DS but you almost certainly won't benefit from the improved 3D hardware.

The 2DS is comfy and easy to hold and cheap.

If you really are just going to play Pokemon, I say go for it.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • glithertglithert Registered User regular
    Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 is a pretty fun game

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Even tho I complain a lot about nintendo, I do appreciate the 3D effect, especially in the NEW 3DS.
    Also, the 2DS can't play SNES VC games.

I found the 2DS surprisingly nice, tho, when I fiddled a bit wit one of them. I'd still get a N3DS XL, tho.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    Most games from Nintendo have pretty good 3d. Mario 3d land and link between worlds are the standouts for me. All 2d platformers get it turned off no questions asked.

Xevious had good 3d, actually

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    glithert wrote: »
    Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 is a pretty fun game

Is it worth getting the bundle cart for both games?

It's kind of like mega man, but it's not actually too difficult on its own- the replay value is going to come from you running levels again, fine-tuning your approach to get a better time/score. I'd say it just depends on whether you like that kind of thing or not.

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    Gunvolt 1 has a fairly generous demo; it lets you try a few different levels and allows you to replay them for a better rank. Worth trying out if you're not sure if it's your thing.

• Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    And Sporky still seriously thinks that Nintendo's networking features are at parity or BETTER than the PSN/XBL?

Read sometimes:
    They're at parity or better in far more ways than they're behind.

This is an acknowledgement that they are behind in a few ways.

They are at parity or better in far more ways than they're behind.

I mean it's not like the other platforms have invented a new form of patches, superpatches, which are vastly better than the old kind of patches and therefore Nintendo is still somehow behind on that front. Quite a few aspects of online platforms have reached a level where everything is generally running smoothly by now and there's not much innovation to be had. Just because certain things can be taken for granted doesn't mean that they aren't areas in which Nintendo once lagged behind and has now reached parity. I know it's easy to ignore features everyone is simply expected to have at this point, but it's what they were criticized for lacking in the past. Acknowledge the fact that the old criticism is no longer valid.

They don't have "bad online features," they have bad digital rights management.

Yeah, I got your statement wrong but at the same time, it's still a nothing statement. All it means is that they're over 50% of the way there, which is something I guess, but not a good defence.

I don't own a Wii U, so it's hard to discuss the online features they've implemented on that which aren't on the 3DS, but from my experience, here's the things Nintendo's efforts are seriously lacking. Feel free to point out what they've improved on with the Wii U or even if I got a couple of them wrong:

- No game invites
    - No Party system
    - No cross game chat
    - No cloud saves
    - Regional store bullshit combined with region locking (Sony has a similar store setup and I'm not a fan of it but at least they're region free, so I can have NZ, US, JPN and HK accounts)
    - The webstore sucks and isn't available worldwide (specifically Aus/NZ for me)
    - No pre-orders or pre-loads
    - Expensive old games on the eShop (though I'll admit that only applies to the games I'm actually interested in)
    - DLC only available to purchase in-game

And that's excluding the features that were introduced this gen, like being able to play games before they're finished downloading, share features and so on.

Also, the login/ID system is still a confusing mess for me. My password manager tells me I have three Nintendo logins but I have no idea which one goes where.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    But you can drudge up similar complaints for the other services. Paying a monthly fee in order to use the most minor online features (Xbox finally gave people Netflix access free only a year or two ago), ads all over the interface, games that release with broken online play that takes ages to fix which so far Nintendo has managed to avoid.

Anything Nintendo lacks only shows further how much they've caught up with the competition: they've got a bunch of online shortcomings the same as the rest. Shortcomings that wouldn't even have been possible back in the Wii generation because the Wii was so far behind.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I don't think you're gonna find any middle ground. Nintendo's biggest shortcomings for online just happen to line up with stuff that doesn't matter nearly as much to you as they do to others.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Also uh

They certainly do support this. In fact there was a bit of news a while back that the Paper Mario Color Splash preload unlocked two weeks early.

Just another example of the persistent narrative overriding the facts.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Pre-loads are US (and Japan?) only. They're not a thing in PAL regions.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    DLC is purchasable in the eShop, but only on Wii U I think? The 3DS seems like they retrofitted a cheap solution in after the fact, which is why it's kind of janky. Like 3DS miiverse as well (seriously, I can't believe you can't take screenshots in some games, like even Pokemon or the Streetpass games...). Wii U also has a way better shop interface.

I expect any future online to take what Wii U did and just expand on it even more.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    No, DLC's been a thing on the 3DS for quite a while. I bought the extra cases for the last two Phoenix Wright games.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    No, DLC's been a thing on the 3DS for quite a while. I bought the extra cases for the last two Phoenix Wright games.

I think he means you can't buy DLC directly from the 3DS eShop.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    The limited screenshot thing in 3ds games is disappointing and confusing
    I could take a screenshot of anything and anywhere in Legend of Legacy which really was confusing when in Pokémon you need the camera and only in certain spots and not it all in streetpass games as there were things I would take because they fell into the WTF or awesome type of thing
    Or in ace combat there were ones I wish I could have done

• YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    I'd like a way to put my screenshots on imgur without inventing a twitter account or disassembling my n3ds to get at the SD card. (putting up that robot horse was an enormous pain in the ass let me tell you)
    Also paying for and downloading every single DLC item one at a time is obnoxious and exhausting and almost singlehandedly killed my interest in Theatrythm.

I take a lot of the gross pictures of the very wrong things they are doing at work my 3ds so I can post it to twitter because the open door thing is horribly broken
    I use my J3nds to take pictures as one no one at work can read it and 2 I can get to the sd easier than my Xl

• Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    But you can drudge up similar complaints for the other services. Paying a monthly fee in order to use the most minor online features (Xbox finally gave people Netflix access free only a year or two ago), ads all over the interface, games that release with broken online play that takes ages to fix which so far Nintendo has managed to avoid.

Anything Nintendo lacks only shows further how much they've caught up with the competition: they've got a bunch of online shortcomings the same as the rest. Shortcomings that wouldn't even have been possible back in the Wii generation because the Wii was so far behind.

The PS4 doesn't require a monthly fee for those minor online features and as far as I'm aware, that ad problem was something unique to the 360. The PS4 certainly doesn't have any and while I don't own a Xbone, I believe it only has one ad on the dashboard. "Broken online play"? Don't be disingenuous, that has little to do with the console and almost everything to do with the developer.

As for the emboldened bit, so what, you want to give Nintendo a participation award or something? They're still significantly behind on features that were introduced way back in 2005, let alone the new features that were introduced this gen. Start patting them on the back when they catch up to the PS3.
    Also uh

They certainly do support this. In fact there was a bit of news a while back that the Paper Mario Color Splash preload unlocked two weeks early.

Just another example of the persistent narrative overriding the facts.

Oh, get off your high horse already. I asked for you to point out if I got any of those points wrong, because I know I don't have the full picture, I'm not trying to push a narrative.

And it turns out it's not even available worldwide anyway. Seems like you're the one letting your narrative override the facts.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    and again, different value propositions for different people. $60/year for Xbox live doesn't get you just multiplayer gaming, but 4 free games every single month (two xbox one titles, two xbox 360 titles which work on xbox one). They're usually older titles, or newer $20ish games, but really, if I enjoy even one of two of those in a year the $60 has completely paid for itself and I haven't even gotten to multiplayer.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    YggiDee wrote: »
    I'd like a way to put my screenshots on imgur without inventing a twitter account or disassembling my n3ds to get at the SD card. (putting up that robot horse was an enormous pain in the ass let me tell you)
    Also paying for and downloading every single DLC item one at a time is obnoxious and exhausting and almost singlehandedly killed my interest in Theatrythm.

Your N3DS has a mode that makes the SD card available as a windows network share.

• YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »

Your N3DS has a mode that makes the SD card available as a windows network share.

Thank you, that was a thing I didn't know! However I still feel that this is unnecessarily complicated for a device that, fundamentally, has both a browser and a camera.

(Also at the time was doing it from my phone and didn't have computer access, but it's something I will remember for the future)

edited October 2016

Japan-only Monster Hunter Direct coming on the 27th. The MH website specifically states that there will be no Switch or mobile announcements, so this will almost definitely be a 3DS game.

Maz- on
    I kinda hope it's not MH5. That'd mean that we'd almost certainly have another Tri/3U type split when the Switch comes out. It'd also probably mean that 5 wouldn't have contiguous loading-screen-free zones.

Maybe a Monster Hunter Stories sequel

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Also... possible Zero Escape sequel news?

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    They teased a possible porting of 999/VLR to PC (possibly 999 to Vita as well) a bit back, so it might just be an announcement of that.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular

I'm hoping this becomes Mac compatible someday.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop

I'm hoping this becomes Mac compatible someday.

OS X has been compatible with Windows network shares (aka SMB shares) for ages, Nintendo just didn't write any docs for it.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204445

I kinda hope it's not MH5. That'd mean that we'd almost certainly have another Tri/3U type split when the Switch comes out. It'd also probably mean that 5 wouldn't have contiguous loading-screen-free zones.

I think it's probably an enhanced version of Generations. I don't think MH5 will be on 3DS.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    It's most likely Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    For a game that requires so much dedication and play time, I do think MH games get released a bit too often.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    Huh. I was sure that Capcom had said there wouldn't be a G version of MHX, but searching now, all I see are assertions by fans. Yeah, Generations Ultimate makes a lot of sense.

Huh. I was sure that Capcom had said there wouldn't be a G version of MHX, but searching now, all I see are assertions by fans. Yeah, Generations Ultimate makes a lot of sense.

They probably need to buy more time to put out MH5. It's been awhile since they've done an HD version of the game and they're team has never been very good with new hardware.
    For a game that requires so much dedication and play time, I do think MH games get released a bit too often.

It's like CoD in Japan. They try for one a year.

I've put in about 200 hours of Gen and I feel Like I've gone a bit light into this version.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    If you don't think that Nintendo has the shittiest online offering imagineable, you are literally a crazy person. The core functionality of online, which is social access and improved multiplayer, is completely missing from the Nintendo platform. It's practically like going back to play by e-mail.

Seriously, Monster Hunter would be tripled in value overnight by simply improving the utterly shit Nintendo friends system to allow for better grouping.

What is this I don't even.
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    It's most likely Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate turbo II Remix Platinum edition.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    It's most likely Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate turbo II Remix Platinum edition.

and Knuckles.

Hah! I did a memes!

I'll see myself out...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    edited October 2016

Look Deviljho get's a new coloring. It's pretty major.

Seidkona on
  • CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular

Look Deviljho get's a new coloring. It's pretty major.
    I heard that's actually deviljho's less-known cousin, akumajho.
    In rage mode, it turns into a castle.

This discussion has been closed.