As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Phalla] Fryhunt! Day 6 / GAME OVER

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Okay, that's twice now that Obifett has gone into borderline-rabid defense mode, which I've seen him dodge kills on as a bad guy way too often to watch it happen again.

I do this no matter my alignment (first rule of phalla: always be kime consistent)

Although, I only get really "rabid" when I know I am right and people are making stupid decisions that will cause both me and them to lose.

This is an idiotic vote, but please lets all sink together. It will make me happy to see that you lost because you made me lose.

ObiFett on
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Okay, that's twice now that Obifett has gone into borderline-rabid defense mode, which I've seen him dodge kills on as a bad guy way too often to watch it happen again.

I do this no matter my alignment (first rule of phalla: always be kime consistent)

Although, I only get really "rabid" when I know I am right and people are making stupid decisions that will cause both me and them to lose.

This is an idiotic vote, but please lets all sink together. It will make me happy to see that you lost because you made me lose.

... so you're saying we can't believe any of your protests and killing you is the only way to be sure?

kshu0oba7xnr.png

... so you're saying we can't believe any of your protests and killing you is the only way to be sure?

I'm saying that defending myself the way I always do means nothing.

Instead listen to the content of my posts

I'm freaking neutral

You all are losing by voting me out

W
    T
    G

• premiumpremium Registered User regular
    K so whats your actual power
    Hard to imagine a powerless neutral role like yours in this game

My power is that I know when the Hitman dies

Which had that happened early would have made the game trivially easy because then I could have come out in the thread and just survived until the game was over.

Still feeling pretty good about ObiFett

• FryFry Registered User regular
    Vote is closed

Day Five results:
    ObiFett: 38thdoe, kime, AustinP0027, Raiden333, MrTLicious, Moridin889, JusticeForPluto, Brody, chamberlain, Auralynx, premium

Not voting: ObiFett

ObiFett has died
    chamberlain has died

It is now Night Five. Game-related talk is not permitted in the thread (this includes no breadcrumbing). If you want to be social and talk about arid memes or whatever, that's fine. Night ends in approximately 24 hours. Orders for all night actions are due at that time.

• AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Listen....to the sound.....of silence

• CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    Listen....to the sound.....of silence

ooOoOOoOOoOooOOoOoOoOOoOoOoOoOOOOoOO

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
    Day Six

I walked into the station. There were two bodies on the floor of the lobby. The killers must be either crazy or stupid to make such a bold statement.

I made my way upstairs to the bullpen. "Guys, did you see that mess in the lobby? Get CSI down there, STAT!"

Only silence and dark stares met me from the other officers in the room.

"Guys?"

Everyone reached for their weapons at once, and shots rang out...

Moridin889 is now dead
    JusticeForPluto is now dead

It is now impossible for the town to eliminate the remaining witches, who will kill off the remaining town. The witches have won.

Live list: 8
    1. Brody
    2. Gizzy MrTLicious
    3. kime
    4. 38thdoe
    5. Auralynx
    6. AustinP0027
    7. premium
    8. Raiden333

Dead list: 15
    1. Kilnaga D1
    2. Cythraul N1
    3. WACriminal D2
    4. corvidae N2
    5. Green N2
    6. Grunt's Ghosts N2
    7. MamaWolf N3
    8. discrider N3
    9. MagicPrime D3
    10. Preda Burnage D3
    11. JPants N4
    12. ObiFett D5
    13. chamberlain D5
    14. Moridin889 N5
    15. JusticeForPluto N5

edited October 2016
    Winning team: WITCHES
    premium Werewolf
    MrTLicious Necromancer
    kime Demon
    Auralynx Vampire
    MamaWolf Ghost
    ObiFett Puppetmaster

Better luck next time: TOWN
    38thdoe Psychiatrist
    Brody Matron
    AustinP0027 Vigilante
    chamberlain Werewolf Hunter
    Raiden333 Apprentice
    Moridin889 Demon Hunter
    JusticeForPluto Gravedigger
    Kilnaga Conspiracy Theorist
    Cythraul Vampire Hunter
    WACriminal Coroner
    corvidae Hopeless Romantic
    Green Bard
    Grunt's Ghosts (Para) Psychologist
    discrider Correspondent
    MagicPrime Duelist
    Burnage Judge
    JPants Mad Scientist

Thanks for playing, everybody!

Fry on
    That was a realy fun last day

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Thanks for running!

Please explain insanity to me. I'm still not sure I understand whether or not it affects abilities

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • corvidaecorvidae Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    i too, would like a breakdown of the mechanics behind this, and an explanation of roles.

i knew this would be slanted against the village, but i wasn't expecting it to be so heavily inclined...

between the lack of pms, the sanity? mechanic,not having alignment revealed upon death, the lack of true vigs or seers,mafia being about 25% of the players instead of the usual 20% ,the village never had a chance.

corvidae on
    edited October 2016
    So, the sanity thing. That was a little bit of a holdover from a previous version of the game, which was a mostly-open setup, with a full list of roles and powers. The sanity checker (Psychiatrist) had a list of roles and what their sanity would check as, so it was a very weak info role that could try to figure out whether someone was lying about their claimed role. Grunt's Ghosts had a (Para)psychologist role, which was a sanity checker that always got the wrong results.

By not giving the list of roles and what the sanity results should be, I nerfed the sanity checker role pretty hard. OK, not a big deal, one or two effectively vanillager characters isn't going to sink the setup. The problem is that GG put the idea in everyone's head that sanity meant their powers didn't work as advertised. I don't know why GG said that - the role explanations for both sanity checkers specifically said that a lack of sanity did not mean that someone's power didn't work as written. And when clarification was asked for regarding whether powers worked as written, I couldn't say "of course everyone's powers work as written," because oops I made one role out of 23 that got backwards results for its checks. Coupled with a particularly devious choice by the mafia to send someone a message N1 saying that narrations couldn't be trusted...well. :X

As for whether this setup was significantly favored for the scum: when I've run or played similar setups before, it usually comes out slightly-to-moderately village favored. It was mentioned that the mafia was a higher proportion than usual for games around here, but I gather that you usually give the mafia two kills per night, and this mafia only got one kill per night, and three single use bonus kills: Puppeteer got to take someone with him, and the Werewolf and Vampire got to make bonus kills provided their respective Hunters weren't still alive. The mafia were also expected to get a bonus kill out of the Hopeless Romantic at some point, but they chose to shoot the HR directly for reasons they will have to explain. The town had some opportunities for bonus kills (Vigilante, and especially the Duelist which is a homing kill if you can just convince the mafia to shoot you) but that mostly didn't pan out. Another complaint was that you didn't know which teams dead players were on. Well, you should know about half of them right off the top (almost everyone who dies at night is town). Beyond that, there were also the three Hunters to let you know when particular mafia died, along with the Gravedigger to give you some delayed info about how well you were doing, a Vigilante who is learning a lot about the dead players based on whether or not it's getting to shoot, and a Coroner to help disambiguate night kills (if it hadn't been shot early).

It's easy for me sitting in the position where I know all the roles to say that people should have figured out the mafia, but two particular things jumped out at me as mistakes made or places people could have caught on:

1) using Burnage to kill MagicPrime as a test of both seems like a bad idea. It doesn't do any good to prove someone is town if you're killing them in the process. Especially when you have results from JPants right there pointing out one definite mafia and another probable mafia.
    2) there was a point where someone made a list of people who had claimed roles and people who hadn't. IIRC the list of people who hadn't claimed roles at that point was JPants (arguably better than a seer), Brody (reveals as town when he dies), and...all of the remaining mafia. I definitely would have pushed harder on those folks who hadn't claimed, especially kime (didn't ever claim a power, I don't think?) and MrTLicious (claimed a massive amount of knowledge about the gamestate, but it had to be dragged out of him, and he didn't seem to be trying to use it to piece together who could be scum)

Fry on
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Fun game! I think it would have played out a whole lot differently without the sanity confusion. I'm surprised Obi and Aura weren't the first targets for the village once I died. discrider especially was screaming village and with MagicPrime being labeled same team as GG, I had Obi pegged as mafia as soon as he pushed hard on MP for the second day in a row (thus the comparison to the most village person I could think of). The village was so ready to be lead they even let the most suspicious vote non-winner of the whole game lead them.

The Burnage/MP "verification" seemed a lot better when I had the timings wrong though looking back now I can't remember why exactly.

• JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Also I fully expected to die after revealing. To be honest I was surprised the mafia didn't take me out earlier (didn't know they only had 1 kill) so I expected to go without revealing my info any night. Plus I was kind of hoping Austin would pass the the medal that night since I repeatedly made a fuss about being able to pass it in secret at night. I'll have to work on my telepathic communication skills.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    So what was the point of sanity?

As to why I thought it meant it worked or didn't work, I totally missed that part of the PM (I saw my role PM while at work)

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    JPants wrote: »
    Alright, reveal time I suppose. I was hoping at least one other person who hasn't revealed anything would do so but it's getting late enough in the day that I might as well.

I am the one @Raiden333 is one way masoned with. At least I'm pretty sure... I suppose there could be another person out there with the same power and similar role name, but I really doubt it. I'm pretty sure the reason Raiden followed along with my Kilnaga vote was because he knew/was pretty sure I was village.

So yeah, I can compare 2 people each night and find out if they are on the same team. I can't target myself, I can't target dead people, and I can't target anyone twice. So no chain targeting.

So what have my results been?
    Magic Prime and GG - SAME team
    Auralynx and chamberlain - DIFFERENT teams
    Obifett and discrider - DIFFERENT teams

So if MamaWolf is mafia, MP is village and the results above don't look incorrect. Meaning, JPants wouldn't be insane.

Mamawolf isn't mentioned here. Eli5
    discrider wrote: »
    Okay.
    I probably lost the first two people I messaged the first night.
    I'm going to assume Green was Corv's partner for no reason at all, aside that there were three kills last night when the night before there had been one.
    And I think that's because someone tripped Corv's 2 for 1 (or perhaps puppetry?).
    No one who has dies is "scum"

Sounds about right.

My current list of suspects because all my power lets me do is speculate more during the night, and I don't know how that helps anybody:

Brody - Village fatigue inactivity?
    Gizzy -- withdrawn now MrT
    Auralynx

ObiFett - argues like village Obi was hoping the supposed SK would shoot him. Should've died D4 but instead the village delayed.
    AustinP0027 - claimed vig
    MamaWolf
    Raiden333
    Preda -- withdrawn now Burnage

Moridin889 - corv pair? Was believing corv's role reveal here
    kime

Which is what, half of you or something.

Amended Duna

I missed Premium on my Duna but named all other mafia.
    Oh and what was Eli5?

discrider on
    Like... I think Fry assumed a higher level of village play than is normally present here.
    Sort of disappointing watching day 4.

MrTLicious wrote: »
    JPants wrote: »
    Alright, reveal time I suppose. I was hoping at least one other person who hasn't revealed anything would do so but it's getting late enough in the day that I might as well.

I am the one @Raiden333 is one way masoned with. At least I'm pretty sure... I suppose there could be another person out there with the same power and similar role name, but I really doubt it. I'm pretty sure the reason Raiden followed along with my Kilnaga vote was because he knew/was pretty sure I was village.

So yeah, I can compare 2 people each night and find out if they are on the same team. I can't target myself, I can't target dead people, and I can't target anyone twice. So no chain targeting.

So what have my results been?
    Magic Prime and GG - SAME team
    Auralynx and chamberlain - DIFFERENT teams
    Obifett and discrider - DIFFERENT teams

So if MamaWolf is mafia, MP is village and the results above don't look incorrect. Meaning, JPants wouldn't be insane.

Mamawolf isn't mentioned here. Eli5
    Okay.
    I probably lost the first two people I messaged the first night.
    I'm going to assume Green was Corv's partner for no reason at all, aside that there were three kills last night when the night before there had been one.
    And I think that's because someone tripped Corv's 2 for 1 (or perhaps puppetry?).
    No one who has dies is "scum"

Sounds about right.

My current list of suspects because all my power lets me do is speculate more during the night, and I don't know how that helps anybody:

Brody - Village fatigue inactivity?
    Gizzy -- withdrawn now MrT
    Auralynx

ObiFett - argues like village Obi was hoping the supposed SK would shoot him. Should've died D4 but instead the village delayed.
    AustinP0027 - claimed vig
    MamaWolf
    Raiden333
    Preda -- withdrawn now Burnage

Moridin889 - corv pair? Was believing corv's role reveal here
    kime

Which is what, half of you or something.

Amended Duna

I missed Premium.
    Oh and what was Eli5?

J4P should be on there at that point too I think (end of day 3).
    His claim didn't seem to match up but he didn't get put back on. Oh well.

Looks like I also shut down Obi's Puppetry each night by saying it was a mafia ability (and so people being controlled were village).
    Unfortunate we voted him rather than shot him.

Looks like I also shut down Obi's Puppetry each night by saying it was a mafia ability (and so people being controlled were village).

Uh, nope

Once I chose a target I couldn't change it until the target was dead.

• corvidaecorvidae Registered User regular
    Oh and what was Eli5?

Explain Like I [am] 5 [years old].

basically, dumb it down enough so someone can understand it

Uh, nope

Once I chose a target I couldn't change it until the target was dead.

Oh right. Same target.
    Not sure how chamberlain's pm read then that said he was controlled, and whether it specified that.
    I expected a different puppet pm each night.

No idea what the Correspondent role was supposed to do.
    Mainly used the messages to send codes that didn't and couldn't really help and speculation that was just as useful.
    So I got myself shot by the maf instead.

Anyway thanks for hosting @Fry
    Maybe we as villagers need to talk more normally.

What happened to @WACriminal ?
    It seems like the Coroner role would have been the most straightforward role in this game, but instead he abandoned the gamr due to complexity...

Still think voting inactives out until the active powers had enough info to sort themselves out was a good call.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I'm going to try to be constructive here; I didn't think this really worked.

The biggest problem, from my perspective, was the 72 hour game days. Yes, there was quite a lot of information that the village could have pieced together, but some of it may have literally been posted two weeks ago, and a third of the discussion between now and then was completely off topic. It made even thinking about trying to put two and two together a bit daunting. You might think 24 hour days are at breakneck pace, but they also keep games manageable for those who can't check them that frequently.

You're also assuming, I think, that we should have trusted each other a bit more and inferred more than was reasonable. Even ignoring the sanity mechanics (which, after you've explained, I'm still not clear on the purpose of) we didn't know how many mafia there were, how many neutral roles there may have been, etc., etc. You might say that we should have assumed that all night kills were mostly village - but what if there was an SK and the mafia had limited kills? What if we had unpaired mafia members and so they could shoot each other by accident? There were plenty of possible explanations for the public information we had.

I think there were some nice ideas here, but combine "very low information" with "misleading mechanics" and "very long game days" and you don't get a tasty recipe.

Thanks for hosting, though!

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Yeah, having a full 24 hours that is pretty much non-game talk is kinda useless. And 48 hour days was pretty much everything I hate about extended weekends in one game.

That said, I'm sad to know my role was pretty useless. The "Can't PM" part was interesting but I feel like it meant that not enough information could be revealed or too much would be with no way of knowing if it was too little or too much. It was kinda scary going out and saying what I was, knowing that I would die for it (not that it mattered really).

The best tool of a village is information and this game cut the legs out of the village by limiting the way information could safely be broadcast. It's cool as an experiment, but it was frustrating with the 2 game days (nearly 6 in real life) that I got to play in.

• MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    I still don't follow the logic of the burnage kill on me. That seemed highly sketch, even at the time.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
    Wow, seeing the final list of Mafia, there was no way we were winning this one. Aura was next on my list to push, but I probably would have ended up leaning 38th over Kime after that. Wouldn't have hit MrT or likely premium at any point.

First and Foremost, thanks Fry for running!

My thoughts.

The not so great
    • Day length - People have mentioned above, but specifically, I agree with Burnage that it was just too long to remember all the information. I had completely forgotten about the Puppet thing since it was a Day 1 thing, and that was like 2 weeks ago now. Unfortunately, it didn't really encourage more game conversation, instead, we got pages about the friggin Oxford comma, and then later in the game, just no real communication until the second day when things really mattered

The I'm not sure
    • Balance around death reveals - I'm not sure if it's really the death reveal part that hit here, but after seeing the end list of mafia, I don't think the village actually could have won here without a ton of luck. I attribute a good deal of that to another thing Burnage said that I think you thought we trusted each other more. That's pretty much the opposite in games from what I've seen. I often feel like I'm a "risk taker" because I tend to trust people a little extra, but logic says we really shouldn't trust anyone until something is proven. With little info to be gotten later in the game, MrT's claim that ended in a mafia death secured the game for them, as there was no way we were going to not trust him given how desperate the village was for more information.

Things I really liked
    • Vig Role - Holy crap was this a breath of fresh air as the Vig. I really enjoyed not being the defacto net head just because of the role I was given. I really, really hope others use this design in their games because it was the right balance of being powerful (having a kill sometimes plus having the ability to know for sure if mafia died or not) while at the same time not being the person everyone expected to run things from the village end. I think it encouraged a lot of good behavior from the rest of the village
    • No PMs - Lack of info concern in regards to balance aside, I liked that all of the conversation happened in the thread. Far too often the end of games plays out in PMs only, so it was great to see this mechanic force people back into the thread, and in the middle there, we had a lot of really great back and forth conversation.

Again thanks for running!

And, a well played to @premium and @MrTLicious! Even without the extra kills there that ended the game today, you had it locked down by pushing the vote to Obi and revealing info. I don't see a scenario in which we would have voted out MrT.

Fry wrote: »
    So, the sanity thing. That was a little bit of a holdover from a previous version of the game, which was a mostly-open setup, with a full list of roles and powers. The sanity checker (Psychiatrist) had a list of roles and what their sanity would check as, so it was a very weak info role that could try to figure out whether someone was lying about their claimed role. Grunt's Ghosts had a (Para)psychologist role, which was a sanity checker that always got the wrong results.

If I'm understanding this correctly, then does this mean that 38th saying JPants was insane was correct?

If so, that's probably be an add to my don't like list, as it introduced a mechanic to make a distrusting village trust each other even less. 38th was likely the next person voted out after Obi and Aura, and I'm not sure there would have been anything he could do about it since we all didn't know what sanity actually meant.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    @MagicPrime You had an unconventional role where your goal was supposed to be get killed by the mafia. By announcing it to the thread you threw away a guaranteed kill on mafia. I guess a lot of villagers had trouble believing that you'd play it that way.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    You had an unconventional role where your goal was supposed to be get killed by the mafia. By announcing it to the thread you threw away a guaranteed kill on mafia. I guess a lot of villagers had trouble believing that you'd play it that way.

It might have also killed the vig, though less likely.

I think sanity really did in the villagers. Hard to tell if there would have been better balance without it, but I think with one fewer moving piece it might have been enough.

I'm still not sure how sanity was supposed to work/how the psychologists would be at all beneficial. Although the list of roles could have been a huge boon if it had been dumped after everyone revealed.

I understood MP revealing in order to not kill off the vig, but it put us in an awkward spot of deciding if we believed him or not.

The No PMs was actually a detriment in this case, as I didn't really agree with the plan to shoot him via Burnage but I didn't have a great way of conveying it and getting Burnage's attention to kick out the discussion further. I tried to point towards Aura instead to test out JPant's results a little further, but it got buried under everyone else's comments, so there wasn't a good way to try and change that target.

Fry wrote: »

If I'm understanding this correctly, then does this mean that 38th saying JPants was insane was correct?

If so, that's probably be an add to my don't like list, as it introduced a mechanic to make a distrusting village trust each other even less. 38th was likely the next person voted out after Obi and Aura, and I'm not sure there would have been anything he could do about it since we all didn't know what sanity actually meant.

Right, JPants was the "Mad Scientist", it even says he's insane right in the role name. The original idea was that if a Psychiatrist sat down with someone and that person said "Hi I'm a (role name)," would the first thought be "this person is crazy" or "that sounds normal?" I didn't really convey that at all in the role PM, sorry about that. So if someone claimed their role was "Mailman" but they came back crazy, that would mean they were lying about their role. It probably wasn't a good enough role to have bothered putting in a second one who got backwards results.

Still though...assume everyone distrusts all of their role info (though IMO you shouldn't, because come on, that sounds like a horrible game). So everyone is back to being a vanillager. You still have the greatest weapon of all, which is talking to people and asking questions. Say who you think the bad guys might be! Ask specific other people who they think the bad guys are! Go back and look at vote records! I was surprised that nobody appeared to think out loud very much about who was trying to campaign for the Amulet on D1 and what that might mean about their alignment. Also, nobody seemed to wonder why MrT's vote train didn't result in his death, when every other day the vote ended up being 2-4 more than necessary to eliminate someone.

If you'd voted out everyone who got embroiled in the discussion of the Oxford comma or everyone who posted more than twice about the N1 D&D game, you'd have hit like 80% mafia. Neither of those is a real reason you could push to vote someone out, but it would definitely be a warning flag to me that said "I need to watch this person and ask more questions of them." This person is clearly invested in the game to be posting this much and at length, but they're saying nothing of substance, which is a disconnect that feels like mafia to me.

I understood MP revealing in order to not kill off the vig, but it put us in an awkward spot of deciding if we believed him or not.

The No PMs was actually a detriment in this case, as I didn't really agree with the plan to shoot him via Burnage but I didn't have a great way of conveying it and getting Burnage's attention to kick out the discussion further. I tried to point towards Aura instead to test out JPant's results a little further, but it got buried under everyone else's comments, so there wasn't a good way to try and change that target.

All three of you were open about roles at that point, I don't see what PMs would have done to help there that you couldn't have done right in the thread, but I will admit to not knowing fully what everyone does with their PMs in a "normal" game.