As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tyranny] Obsidian's Brush with Evil

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Okay, change of plans. I picked Wasteland 2 back up.

It seems I have a sniper, talker, shotgun person, and some weird chick with spiky hair and a revolver.

EDIT - My knife guy missed a raider, on his knees, twice. Switching back to Pillars.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I just started pillars after I have had it in my steam account for a year.

Its either a bit hard or I am just way out of form after not playing a game like this in 15 years. Poor aloth gets smacked down ever fight.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    I just started pillars after I have had it in my steam account for a year.

Its either a bit hard or I am just way out of form after not playing a game like this in 15 years. Poor aloth gets smacked down ever fight.

It's both. You can use melee guys to Engage folks, but they can still run by, just taking hits as they do. If you're in the dungeon in the starter town, it's definitely harder than most other things nearby.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Ah, that may be it then. I just finished it, it was quite a slog.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm about 20 hours into Pillars (just finished Defiance Bay), and I can't seem to get the motivation to pick it up again.

Most of the difficulty in the combat system seems to come from the inability to keep your squishy backliners out of the action. My tanks don't actually feel like tanks. Aloth, Durance, and Sagani are in the thick of it all the time.

I did enjoy Searing Falls though, that was a great zone with a great boss fight at the end. The main story just isn't doing enough to draw me in, unfortunately.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm about 20 hours into Pillars (just finished Defiance Bay), and I can't seem to get the motivation to pick it up again.

Most of the difficulty in the combat system seems to come from the inability to keep your squishy backliners out of the action. My tanks don't actually feel like tanks. Aloth, Durance, and Sagani are in the thick of it all the time.

I did enjoy Searing Falls though, that was a great zone with a great boss fight at the end. The main story just isn't doing enough to draw me in, unfortunately.

I had this exact same problem with Pillars. I got to midway through Act 2 and I just... stopped playing, and haven't properly found the motivation to go back to it again.

I might try to give it another go before Tyranny's release.

• Options
    imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    Pillars of my units are ignoring me as much as the monsters are ignoring my tanks.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Tanks also have a limit to the number of dudemans they can Engage. Stances and magical items can increase it. I think I've got a guy who can hold 6 at a time.

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    That's a shame because I really liked the last act.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    The pillars story is pretty much backloaded. Nothing really makes sense until the final act, but once I got there I thought it was pretty damn great.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I might pick up Pillars again and push through. I do enjoy a lot of things about the combat system, like how Aloth can become a walking battle tank of destruction if he is left alone for 10 seconds.

The side quests are great and I love them, and I love how my character becomes known for things as I play, like being honest or deceptive. Unfortunately, the main story hasn't really grabbed me as I would expect it to.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited October 2016

On enemies attacking your backliners, some enemies just do that. Phantoms/spectres in particular, as well as monks later in the game, which is a shame, because you run into a lot of phantoms/spectres early in the game and it drives people nuts. To fight phantoms/spectres, send your meleers in first, wait for the jerks to do their teleport ability, and then send in your backliners. They won't teleport again.

Other people have complained that patch 2 made it so that enemies ignore engagement all the time and charge your backliners. I haven't seen that happen much personally, but I've been running 3-4 meleers, have my backliners quite a ways back in my formation, and I stealth everywhere (with double-speed on). When they do come for my backliners, it's because they have the special skirmisher AIs or I didn't enter the battle properly (at a bad angle, or my meleers didn't spread out enough to contain their meleers) or there were just too many of them.

hippofant on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I've been really digging PoE! It's gotten a lot more fun with the party full up, I feel like I more often have more options. That, and getting used to exactly when I can burn all the per-rest stuff has helped. I still get occasionally destroyed, but it's not a complete surprise. Also the Barbarian from the White March expansion is just awesome. Finally a frontline person I can load up with the biggest and best melee weapons, PLUS she can Terrify everyone nearby, and is almost impossible to flank. Lovely.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    Oooh it looks like the part size is 4 max? Woo! Thank goodness. 6 player parties are such a huge turn off for me. It's just too big. 3 or 4 is my sweet spot.
    I've never been a big fan of having a small army roving behind me in CRPGs like Wasteland 2.

Four has always been the sweet spot for me.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Oooh it looks like the part size is 4 max? Woo! Thank goodness. 6 player parties are such a huge turn off for me. It's just too big. 3 or 4 is my sweet spot.
    I've never been a big fan of having a small army roving behind me in CRPGs like Wasteland 2.

Six has always been my preference, but part of that's probably Infinity Engine nostalgia.

I can also never have enough companions in an RPG because there's always a voice at the back of my head whispering But you're missing character dialogue!

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

Six has always been my preference, but part of that's probably Infinity Engine nostalgia.

I can also never have enough companions in an RPG because there's always a voice at the back of my head whispering But you're missing character dialogue!

Oh man, you remember that Prince Ali musical number from Alladin? Y'know how he had like a million people march in to the city. Yeah that is me.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    GlyphGryphGlyphGryph Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I like the versatility of the Pillars System. The fact that Wizards could make great Frontliners and Tanks with their magical melee weapons and defenses, Fighters could do incredible DPS and actually cast spells from the back line more effectively than mages at the cost of resources, and Priests could be anything from support healers to fiery exploders to backstabbing paralyzers was really fun to me.

Eder is also my favorite companion from any RPG ever, pretty much. (Don't build him as a tank though, he can do it but he is much better and more fun as a damage dealer!)

That said, I am starting to get super hyped for Tyranny, there's a lot of stuff I've seen in these previews that's really drawing me in. The three-faction system and starting working for the "pretty much evil guys that are also the primary force of law and order" and meaningful choices reminds me of the early Geneforge games, and I loved those things.

GlyphGryph on
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    The fact that a lot of other people apparently stopped playing poe at the same point I did makes me think that I should probably try to get back to it and power through that spot.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    The devs are going to stream Tyranny at... wait, 1 at night? I'll watch the archived version tomorrow.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    That has got to be a typo.

If they're starting at 4pm PDT then that's like 7PM EST.

Axen on
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Axen wrote: »
    That has got to be a typo.

If they're starting at 4pm PDT then that's like 7PM EST.

If you're referring to the times, CEST is Europe time. And it's going to be 1 at night over here, so...

If you're referring to the second line of the tweet... yeah, I think it's missing a word there.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Time zone. Which I just realized my mistake. In my defense I don't think I've seen someone list two wildly different time zones like that. :razz:

Usually it's PDT/EST.

Or damn, something like GMT would make sense.

Axen on
  • Options

Yeah, well, Britain's (or England's) dead set on leaving the EU, so pandering to the bigger remaining market is a smart move, I guess. :P

• Options
    edited October 2016
    I really loved Pillars but the lore in this universe sounds actually a lot more interesting to me.

The concept and setting they described immediately grabbed me whereas I think I was more sold on Pillars by just Obsidian being involved.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

Yeah, well, Britain's (or England's) dead set on leaving the EU, so pandering to the bigger remaining market is a smart move, I guess. :P

mainland Europe is a pretty big PC gaming market, especially Germany i believe. its possible that they know they have a bigger following there and are catering to them.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

Six is also my preference, but that's definitely Gold Box nostalgia.

• Options
    Starting to look like Obsidian is doing weekly dev streams until launch. At 1 at night.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Well, 1 for Euro time.

• Options
    One final Dev Diary before next week's release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te_ZLdC_Wmc

• Options
    imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    That beard tho

• Options
    Isn't that a pretty big spoiler in the first 15 seconds there?
    The two big generals of Kyros' army fighting each other?

• Options

That's the set up for the start of the game.

Kinda like saying jaws is about a shark.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    rockrnger wrote: »

I just assumed the set up for the start of the game seemed to be about conquering the tears (tiers?) and delivering Kyros' edict. Hinting that a civil war could break out between the two generals or that one is a traitor seemed like a pretty big plot turn.

Watched the first hour of the story, didn't see anything like that so it came as quite a surprise to me.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Wait... wtf this is out next week?!?!

Same day as dishonored 2... week before pokemon... right before ff15.

GOD DAMN THIS MONTH. Although this is a game that needs focus so I guess I'll have to put it on the backburner for a while. Hmmm. I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHERE ANY ROOM IN THE SCHEDULE IS UNTIL NEXT YEAR AHHHH.

• Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    The way I look at it, if it's in pre-release promotional material straight from the dev, especially a story-oriented dev like Obsidian, it's not a "real" spoiler. That's stuff they want you to know going into it.

Duffel on
  • Options
    CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    rockrnger wrote: »

I just assumed the set up for the start of the game seemed to be about conquering the tears (tiers?) and delivering Kyros' edict. Hinting that a civil war could break out between the two generals or that one is a traitor seemed like a pretty big plot turn.

Watched the first hour of the story, didn't see anything like that so it came as quite a surprise to me.
    But you deliver the edict because the two generals specifically can't agree on anything and are blaming every set back on each other's incompetence or subterfuge so their faction wouldn't progress. From what I saw of early playthroughs, the edict is basically, stop fighting and take the objective or I'll destroy the whole valley with you in it.

I imagine how you approach resolving these issues will cause more (or less) overt conflict between the two generals and their factions.

Cobell on
  • Options
    Ark EvensongArk Evensong The NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    ... seemed to be about conquering the tears (tiers?) ....

Oh God. That's deliberate, isn't it?

As Kyros conquest of the known world draws to a close, it will all end in Tiers.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    I hope Kyros doesn't actually appear in Tyranny.

I like the mystique they've built up around him from what I've seen so far.

Or then you find out he was secretly Chip, the happy go lucky low ranking soldier you had befriended at the start of the game and he gives you your job performance review at the end by promoting you or lighting you on fire.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    I hope Kyros doesn't actually appear in Tyranny.

I like the mystique they've built up around him from what I've seen so far.

Or then you find out he was secretly Chip, the happy go lucky low ranking soldier you had befriended at the start of the game and he gives you your job performance review at the end by promoting you or lighting you on fire.

Her
    Proll
    Maybe

• Options
    It was us! We were Kyros all along!
    Now that I've said that, and without having watched any of the lengthy gameplay videos, I can kind of see it being a twist?