As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need help with an audio solution

imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this.Registered User regular
I have a very barky dog and about 3 acres - problem is, at the farthest point back, my dog loves to bark, and my neighbors are going crazy. I can't hear it from the house though-

What i'd like to do is put some kind of mic on my dog's collar and a few speakers or receivers in my house so I can know when the dog is barking so i can bring him in.

Can anyone point me to the right product?

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    A google pulled up something like this:
    http://www.dogmonitorapp.com/

I imagine whatever you find will essentially be a collar-wearable baby monitor and have all the problems inherent to them. What might be a better solution is to work out a text message thing with your neighbors so they can let you know when the dog is annoying them directly. That way the dog can go out and be a dog and only get reported when it acually is bothering your neighbors.

• Options
    imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    That was my suggestion but they're not what I'd call reasonable/rational people.

"If we hear your dog barking anymore we'll call the police" is pretty much what im facing here.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Is there a way to restrict your dog from the far reaches of your property?

I just imagine that most solutions aren't going to cover that range, short of getting a walkie talky on him. If it's a very specific area, like a corner of a fence he's parking at to make the noise, I'd look into monitoring the area instead of the dog. It'll probably be easier to get a bigger/more robust device that is static than one that won't hinder your dog. I know there are outdoor, wireless cameras, But I've only seen ranges of 500ft.

As someone who loves dogs and hates noise, I understand both sides of the frustration. I wouldn't want to have to text someone every day to have some quiet either.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    You could consider one of those invisible fences, perhaps? Just set it up a far distance away from the area where your dog is apparently barking and annoying the neighbors. I'm not sure if waiting for him to bark and then taking the time to go bring him in would really fix the problem as far as your neighbors are concerned, because the dog would still be barking.

If you prevent the dog from reaching that area in the first place, you don't have to bring him in every time and your neighbors won't hear him either.

• Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    The Crowing One was warned for this.
    Address your dog. You want him? You're responsibility.

Iruka on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    Iruka wrote: »
    Is there a way to restrict your dog from the far reaches of your property?

I just imagine that most solutions aren't going to cover that range, short of getting a walkie talky on him. If it's a very specific area, like a corner of a fence he's parking at to make the noise, I'd look into monitoring the area instead of the dog. It'll probably be easier to get a bigger/more robust device that is static than one that won't hinder your dog. I know there are outdoor, wireless cameras, But I've only seen ranges of 500ft.

As someone who loves dogs and hates noise, I understand both sides of the frustration. I wouldn't want to have to text someone every day to have some quiet either.

"short of getting a walkie talky on him" - yes, that's exactly what I am asking for. I'm having a hard time finding a product that matches that description.

• Options
    Address your dog. You want him? You're responsibility.

Just gonna repost my question:

What i'd like to do is put some kind of mic on my dog's collar and a few speakers or receivers in my house so I can know when the dog is barking so i can bring him in.

Can anyone point me to the right product?

• Options
    You could consider one of those invisible fences, perhaps? Just set it up a far distance away from the area where your dog is apparently barking and annoying the neighbors. I'm not sure if waiting for him to bark and then taking the time to go bring him in would really fix the problem as far as your neighbors are concerned, because the dog would still be barking.

If you prevent the dog from reaching that area in the first place, you don't have to bring him in every time and your neighbors won't hear him either.

Good advice, but I really don't want to shock him. All I have to do is yell out the door and he'll come running, so the key is to just know that he is barking.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    they have citronella collars that don't shock . I mean they shock but more int eh oh my gosh what was that, than bzzzzzzzzzz

you are going to run into issues with range and size

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm not sure the product exists, yet at least. there were two kickstarters in this area and I believe one of them is juuuust getting to the beta version of the product.

Monitoring the area instead of your dog is a serious suggestion, You'll have many more options for tools and solutions. Walkie talkies aren't huge anymore, but they've never gotten particularly small either. In combination with the range you need, and how soon you likely need a solution, I would look into all your options carefully.

• Options
    Iruka wrote: »
    I'm not sure the product exists, yet at least. there were two kickstarters in this area and I believe one of them is juuuust getting to the beta version of the product.

Monitoring the area instead of your dog is a serious suggestion, You'll have many more options for tools and solutions. Walkie talkies aren't huge anymore, but they've never gotten particularly small either. In combination with the range you need, and how soon you likely need a solution, I would look into all your options carefully.

Any suggestions for area monitoring? I don't have any electrical wiring out that far back

• Options
    How far is your house from the actual area in question? Square footage wise?

• Options
    About 60,000 square feet

• Options
    (the area that i cant hear is about 2 acres from my house)

• Options
    welp, That's too large of an area for wireless, home camera solutions.

I'm going to back up the suggestion for a invisible fence and just keeping the dog closer to the house. If you really want an on-dog solution, bark suppressors (shock collars) are the only thing I've seen actually on the market, and that tend to have a huge range. These guys apparently think they are shipping in early 2017: http://www.getwuf.com/ but I'm wary of kickstarter stuff. There was another kickstarter like it, and I think that it's similarly not actually on the market yet.

To my knowledge the reasons those got funded is that there isn't really a two way radio collar out there, but I've been out of the dog game for a little while.

• Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    Oh god, please don't do a shock collar. That's just cruel.

3rddocbottom.jpg