As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phalla] Fryhunt! Day 6 / GAME OVER

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Cythraul wrote: »
    Obi needs to lay off the village abuse. I really hope it's not becoming your "norm" to call everyone idiots for voting for you. It's getting annoying and I was already dead for a couple weeks.

Yeah, I probably should have laid off calling the village names, but I was trying to get voted off while looking like I was fighting the vote. Since voting me out would kill Chamberlain, deny the village a night kill, AND give us an extra kill at night it was best that I die to the vote. So being obnoxious was sort of what I was going for.

I pretty much always fight the vote, though, so I kind of have to do it whether I am village or mafia or neutral in order to be consistent. That being said, if I'm not engaged as a villager I will most likely just lay down and die (unless I think its going to really lose the village the game).

• Options
    edited October 2016
    I think the village had a chance this game, but they got bogged down in the "confirm everything" mindset , which was caused by the sanity miscommunication and a bit of mafia prodding. From the mafia boards:
    Worst possible scenario happening right now.

When Obi dies, Chamberlain dies too because of the puppeting, which will in turn implicate Aura even more.

The only way to avoid this Jpants reveal nonsense is to force the village to spend too much time confirming the information before they act on it.
    But the point is that we need to bog them down in verifying JPants' results through enough nights that its too late by the time they realize the information they do have.

I think the mafia succeeded in pushing the village to doing just that and was helped by the sanity misinformation.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I don't see how the village wouldn't have had to spend a ton of time trying to confirm information because without doing so they were literally flying blind.

The mafia prodding and sanity misunderstanding certainly didn't help, but the more I hear about the behind-the-scenes mechanics the more this game sounds like it was stacked against the village from the start.

• Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    JPants wrote: »
    Auralynx wrote: »
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    Fry, what was the deal with the witches not enraged post on the proboard?

Oh, we got 2 kills if enough of us were dead. I wasn't too worried about dying once I had my kill used up for that reason.

How many dead till that triggered? If it was like 1 or 2 living I could see that being ok but if it triggered at half.... I'd still put the villages odds (even taking out the sanity confusion) at significatnly less than even. Unless it was a one time extra kill..... but it sounds like a permanent extra nightly kill.

Also Gizzy/MrT's power on a mafia, in a low info game, seems like an over-correction against the "Vig lead village network" meta. Far, far too powerful for a game like this.

It kicked in if outnumbered 4:1. So even at 1 or 2 people it likely wouldn't trigger unless there were a ton of villagers.

Sanity was basically irrelevant, and alignment we knew from being mafia. The only thing the ability actually did was reveal people's powers, which was nice but not really that powerful IMO. I could have done almost exactly what I did without the ability, except that I couldn't have confirmed that detail about corvidae's role.

• Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Fry, what was the deal with the witches not enraged post on the proboard?

Oh, we got 2 kills if enough of us were dead. I wasn't too worried about dying once I had my kill used up for that reason.

How many dead till that triggered? If it was like 1 or 2 living I could see that being ok but if it triggered at half.... I'd still put the villages odds (even taking out the sanity confusion) at significatnly less than even. Unless it was a one time extra kill..... but it sounds like a permanent extra nightly kill.

Also Gizzy/MrT's power on a mafia, in a low info game, seems like an over-correction against the "Vig lead village network" meta. Far, far too powerful for a game like this.

It kicked in if outnumbered 4:1. So even at 1 or 2 people it likely wouldn't trigger unless there were a ton of villagers.

Sanity was basically irrelevant, and alignment we knew from being mafia. The only thing the ability actually did was reveal people's powers, which was nice but not really that powerful IMO. I could have done almost exactly what I did without the ability, except that I couldn't have confirmed that detail about corvidae's role.

Right, but as you said, without that extra bit of knowledge it could have been any mafia play, but that extra bit of knowledge is what made it not seem like a mafia play. It seems as though your role was specifically put in there to be a false village leader, which, mission accomplished. That's the part that feels way OP.

That extra kill timing seems a lot more appropriate than I would have assumed. You're right that it wouldn't have triggered unless you guys were severely outnumbered. Or village got a couple lucky shots right out of the gate I suppose.

JPants on
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Burnage wrote: »
    I don't see how the village wouldn't have had to spend a ton of time trying to confirm information because without doing so they were literally flying blind.

The mafia prodding and sanity misunderstanding certainly didn't help, but the more I hear about the behind-the-scenes mechanics the more this game sounds like it was stacked against the village from the start.

But the village knew they were basically blind with only pieces of information.

Which means the village should have just been going with the high percentage plays. Losing you, to kill MP, was a very low percentage play, imo. I said as much in thread while it was happening. Instead, I should have been voted out almost immediately after the reveal that disc and I were on separate teams. While it wasn't confirmed, it was the best chance.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

Which means the village should have just been going with the high percentage plays. Losing you, to kill MP, was a very low percentage play, imo. I said as much in thread while it was happening. Instead, I should have been voted out almost immediately after the reveal that disc and I were on separate teams. While it wasn't confirmed, it was the best chance.

Yeah, we kind of super-panicked at JPants' initial reveal. Thought they'd just start killing you and others and find us all and confirm half the village. Thankfully it turned out to not make a big difference, but it was super scary!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options

At the time I thought burnage's kill fired off at night, so I was ok with the plan (originally to shoot Brody, not MP) on the assumption that Austin would then get a shot that night, to shoot you with. It wasn't until the day was almost over that the timing of burnage's kill was clarified and by then there wasn't enough time to mobilize the village to vote you out, especially since it would have needed like 3/4ths of the remaining villagers to jump on and vote (mafia could just feign not being online) and change the plan. Once the timing of Burnage's kill was clarified that plan kinda fell apart and we ended up with the less than stellar plan we, well, ended up with. Then burnage went offline and it was all on rails from there.

I was also fairly suspicious of Burnage because his role sounded a lot like Auralynx's (who I suspected) so I thought there was an even chance mafia burnage would end up killing MP with the mafia kill and maybe we hit one of the others instead and grab an extra mafia while revealing the lying burnage. Long shot but /shrug.

It also occurred to me after I died that your Lawyer cover role was ridiculous with the way the vote worked. If you had vote manipulation we could have ended up with 2 vote winners past the halfway mark and then what would have happened. Should have been clear from the start the way the vote worked that manipulation wouldn't be a part of it (at least not in that direction.... I could see negative/non counting votes).

• Options
    If sanity never entered the equation that's exactly how I imagine it would have went down:

Obi gets voted off - kills chamberlain, revealing aura as evil
    Amulet passed to Jpants - mafia shot hits amulet wasting a kill
    Jpants gets one more comparison before dying the next day along with Aura.

Now it's me kime and premium left vs. 8 villagers, which I think is anybody's game.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    The game would have continued if the mafia had hit the Amulet of Protection with either of their N5 kills. Of course, that was out of the question once Austin handed the Amulet to MrT. :P

Yeah, like I said, MrT played this so well. There was no way I was killing him/voting him.

This wasn't a game the village was going to win.

On the contrary, I never had a doubt that he wasn't mafia.
    I just went a bit too far and distrusted J4P more at the end of day 3, but MrT was more suspect since then.
    Really, seer claims in this game were incredibly suspect as the mafia could choose to claim that and then give alignment up until they choose not to.

• Options
    If sanity never entered the equation that's exactly how I imagine it would have went down:

Now it's me kime and premium left vs. 8 villagers, which I think is anybody's game.

100% agreed except I had you in my sites next for surviving the vote. Plus I suspect (not gonna go check) that the rest of the mafia were avoiding your wagon that day as well.

• Options

100% agreed except I had you in my sites next for surviving the vote. Plus I suspect (not gonna go check) that the rest of the mafia were avoiding your wagon that day as well.

But you would have been dead since the vote where you die would have been on Aura. The people that were left alive were not as negative on me.

Really it depends what your comparison was. If you wanted to point me out before going the best move would be to compare me and Austin or Raiden. Then it's 2v7 the next day, which is a good start for the village but not a clincher. If you compare me to a random villager then the village would never get it confirmed whether I or the alternative were mafia because JfP would be killed next and Austin's shot wouldn't go off either way. If I get compared with another mafia and you get same team I am pretty sure you get convinced that we're both village.

• Options
    edited October 2016

But you would have been dead since the vote where you die would have been on Aura. The people that were left alive were not as negative on me.

Really it depends what your comparison was. If you wanted to point me out before going the best move would be to compare me and Austin or Raiden. Then it's 2v7 the next day, which is a good start for the village but not a clincher. If you compare me to a random villager then the village would never get it confirmed whether I or the alternative were mafia because JfP would be killed next and Austin's shot wouldn't go off either way. If I get compared with another mafia and you get same team I am pretty sure you get convinced that we're both village.

You and Raiden was exactly the planned comparison the last night. I changed it to Raiden and Brody (i believe) to test my sanity in case 38th got taken out instead of me. So yeah, without the sanity thing you would have been the comparison that night to confirm my suspicions.

JPants on
  • Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular

I had a vote on mrts wagon at the end of the day (and had a minor panic attack about whether id accidentally pushed him over) but since the vote never went through im not sure that it was very compelling

• Options
    Hah (mafia proboard):
    Obifett wrote:
    I'd rather Puppetmaster Grunt's Ghosts or discrider
    That would've been a mistake.
    I would've used being a puppet to stay alive up until the mafia shot me...
    But I guess that doesn't really lengthen my life expectancy any, and a new target could've been chosen so.

• Options
    premium wrote: »

I had a vote on mrts wagon at the end of the day (and had a minor panic attack about whether id accidentally pushed him over) but since the vote never went through im not sure that it was very compelling

You were the one I was least sure about. Both you and kime's reluctance to reveal (and then the nature of your reveals as being untestable) had you on "my list" though kime was a little higher on said list. Your comment about running a phalla each night actually pinged me as a great way for a mafia to hide being active on the night days but then i thought that was paranoid....

• Options
    edited October 2016
    @discrider I meant to say how much i appreciated your obvious village-ness. My ability was really only useful once I had people to "trust" (and I got lucky with mafia killing GG night 1 and Austin proving he was village).

And sorry for harping on the leet-speak thing. Was trying to nail down what Insanity did.....

JPants on
  • Options

You were the one I was least sure about. Both you and kime's reluctance to reveal (and then the nature of your reveals as being untestable) had you on "my list" though kime was a little higher on said list. Your comment about running a phalla each night actually pinged me as a great way for a mafia to hide being active on the night days but then i thought that was paranoid....

Our night days were actually super boring, I would have run that as village too. 24 hours of waiting for the next day to start didn't really add much to the game, even from a mafia perspective

• Options

That was why I suspected MP until he revealed.
    Being a host at night seemed like a nice ploy to gain peoples affectations.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I hate running phalla within phalla because it muddles the game way too much for me.
    The play by post game that @MagicPrime ran was awesome though.
    I'm sad that we couldn't get a good game of eat poop you cat going.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    I do kinda like the idea of vote close and order close being a bit apart though.
    Maybe next time i run a game ill try making orders close an hour or so after the vote so mafia and specials can make proper decisions even if the vote takes a wild swing at the end of the day

• Options

Our night days were actually super boring, I would have run that as village too. 24 hours of waiting for the next day to start didn't really add much to the game, even from a mafia perspective

True, but for someone that seemed to be phone posting the majority of the time, that seemed like a big over-commitment that would be much less of a commitment if you were already going to be around.

Like I said, I dismissed it (in part cause of your point of the nights being fairly boring regardless) but the thought was definitely triggered.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    @discrider I meant to say how much i appreciated your obvious village-ness. My ability was really only useful once I had people to "trust" (and I got lucky with mafia killing GG night 1 and Austin proving he was village).

And sorry for harping on the leet-speak thing. Was trying to nail down what Insanity did.....

I think you can blame @premium for that.
    Me being so active came about as a compensation for the N1 no kill idea and premium's comment about "But what do we learn if we do that".
    So I then went "Post or die" and tried to stimulate discussion as much as possible.

If it hadn't been for the death seers, I still think no kill N1 because no alignments is a good idea.
    discrider wrote: »
    Maybe we just go full Town of Salem and not do a vote Day 1?
    Give everyone's abilities a night to work off and see what leads there are tomorrow?

We have a reeaally long day, if lots of us have our votes in today we could spend tomorrow looking over todays votes and seeing if anyone stands out, etc.
    If there was ever a game to overanalyze the hell out of every single vote, this is it

This is the post to blame.

discrider on
  • Options

True, but for someone that seemed to be phone posting the majority of the time, that seemed like a big over-commitment that would be much less of a commitment if you were already going to be around.

Like I said, I dismissed it (in part cause of your point of the nights being fairly boring regardless) but the thought was definitely triggered.

Fun premium fact:
    I phone post approximately 100% of the time. I mostly ran those phallas from my phone too.
    Being a single father of 3 young kids means that I don't have time to turn on my computer until after my kids go to sleep, and then I'm usually too exhausted to do much anyway.

• Options

My actual message (from post game discussion):

corvidaecorvidae October 19
    so, Post-mortem, was this scrambled? or were you just trying to cram a lot into your 100 characters?

verbatim from my Pm from fry:

disc:U:"FRAUD"Lover:"JIST"REme=>iSANEPhonePostN1msg100@DedCERmad?NiPowNoResYet.GGnotDed?mafGLHF:corv
    discriderdiscrider October 19
    Not scrambled
    Your code word FRAUD
    Your lover's JIST
    If you respond to me then I am sane.
    My power is a "Phone Post".
    This is the N1 message, only 10 characters.
    Are death seers mad?
    Night powers haven't received results yet, (so they wouldn't know they are mad in response to your in thread thoughts)
    If GG is still alive after tonight, he is probably mafia.

Good luck, high five
    Also I talked about phone posting in thread

• Options
    I would hate to run a Phalla from my phone. Kudos

Steam profile
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I do kinda like the idea of vote close and order close being a bit apart though.
    Maybe next time i run a game ill try making orders close an hour or so after the vote so mafia and specials can make proper decisions even if the vote takes a wild swing at the end of the day

Bolded is vastly unfair to people in other time zones (multiple people told me that vote close was at 4 or 5 am their local time). It really has to be 24 hours or 0 hours if the game is open to people in other parts of the world.

I almost clamped down on the meta-phalla. I was grinding my teeth about it when someone brought it up during D1 conversation. Like really, if my game is so boring that you're already setting up another game to play instead, why did you even join. :bigfrown:

I was not expecting people to fluff as much as they did during the night phase. My usual experience is that it's at most five or ten posts total from all players at night, compared to hundreds or even thousands (yes, really) of posts per day phase. I don't know if anyone noticed (maybe I should have called attention to it) but I did provide an index in the second post that could have been used to jump around the night fluff.

Fry on
  • Options
    discrider wrote: »

My actual message (from post game discussion):

corvidaecorvidae October 19
    so, Post-mortem, was this scrambled? or were you just trying to cram a lot into your 100 characters?

verbatim from my Pm from fry:

disc:U:"FRAUD"Lover:"JIST"REme=>iSANEPhonePostN1msg100@DedCERmad?NiPowNoResYet.GGnotDed?mafGLHF:corv
    Not scrambled
    Your code word FRAUD
    Your lover's JIST
    If you respond to me then I am sane.
    My power is a "Phone Post".
    This is the N1 message, only 10 characters.
    Are death seers mad?
    Night powers haven't received results yet, (so they wouldn't know they are mad in response to your in thread thoughts)
    If GG is still alive after tonight, he is probably mafia.

Good luck, high five
    Also I talked about phone posting in thread

holy fuck i would have gotten like 25% of that message.

but yeah, you definitely crammed a lot of info into 100 characters!

• Options

Bolded is vastly unfair to people in other time zones (multiple people told me that vote close was at 4 or 5 am their local time). It really has to be 24 hours or 0 hours if the game is open to people in other parts of the world.

I almost clamped down on the meta-phalla. I was grinding my teeth about it when someone brought it up during D1 conversation. Like really, if my game is so boring that you're already setting up another game to play instead, why did you even join. :bigfrown:

I was not expecting people to fluff as much as they did during the night phase. My usual experience is that it's at most five or ten posts total from all players at night, compared to hundreds or even thousands (yes, really) of posts per day phase. I don't know if anyone noticed (maybe I should have called attention to it) but I did provide an index in the second post that could have been used to jump around the night fluff.

Its not that the game was "boring" so they made up another game. Its that people had literally nothing to do during that time period so they made up a game to pass the time.

• Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Often time hosts run the kind of game they would enjoy playing themselves - it was fun trying something completely different in Fry's world. I'm sorry I had to drop out - but I think MrT was able to handle everything way better than I would have!

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    edited October 2016

It doesn't really seem much more unfair than a normal game. Days where the vote is essentially decided in the last couple hours of the day are fairly common already, if you aren't around for close then you miss that.

premium on
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I also got a message that vote counts during the night mattered....somehow.

Who sent that?

• Options

Its not that the game was "boring" so they made up another game. Its that people had literally nothing to do during that time period so they made up a game to pass the time.

Especially if you were keeping up with the Day thread as it happened (or were caught up close to vote close). With no new information to process during the night time anyone with night powers who wasn't mafia would already have a very good idea what they were going to do, and knew there was nothing that could happen to change that idea.

Perhaps a 36 hour day ,12 hour night would work better. Day 1 closes at 8PM PST (like this one) Monday, Night 1 closes at 8AM PST Tuesday, Day 2 ends 8pm Wednesday, Night ends 8AM Thursday.... etc etc etc. Clamps down on the issues people had with the long day but still allows flexibility for varying time zones.

• Options
    edited October 2016

RE Bolded: so your normal games have massive activity for a day or two, then no activity for a day, then back on, repeat? If that was the standard (around here) I think we would have to have simultaneous games going just to keep people around and active. A lot of this game/community feels like a social hang out (at least to me) which I love because it help simulate the feel of a party game in a game that otherwise could feel very sterile and clinical.

JPants on
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular

It was literally brought up D1 before we had even gotten to a night phase. People were so bored with the day that they invented a new game. And I even gave you something else to do and think about D1 (Amulet!) in addition to just the usual RNG vote.

And yes, I still maintain there is plenty to do at night even if you are a vanillager. Reread the thread! Try to work out who might be bad guys, or who might be working together. Come up with some questions for other players, so you can drop them at the beginning of the day and those people have time to respond before vote close.

• Options

It was literally brought up D1 before we had even gotten to a night phase. People were so bored with the day that they invented a new game. And I even gave you something else to do and think about D1 (Amulet!) in addition to just the usual RNG vote.

And yes, I still maintain there is plenty to do at night even if you are a vanillager. Reread the thread! Try to work out who might be bad guys, or who might be working together. Come up with some questions for other players, so you can drop them at the beginning of the day and those people have time to respond before vote close.

To be fair, Day 1 is almost always boring in every game that isn't super complex like an Obiphalla or a battle game like PhallaRoyale or Portend (w/e the pirate one we just had was). Unless someone slips up you're probably not going to catch a mafia and even if they do it might be a villager (sorry @Kilnaga).

The content of day 1 often comes back to being important but ON day 1 it very rarely is.

• Options

The D1 situation was purely because there is very little to ever do during day 1 combined with it being longer than we are used to for a single phalla day. It has nothing to do with the content of the game.

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    I hate running phalla within phalla because it muddles the game way too much for me.

Id do a real play by post game If I could think of a good system to run it in. I am only really familiar with the DnD/Pathfinder family, StarWars (RCR, Saga) and Vampire.

I have tons of actual game ideas -- but no players around here to play with.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    38thDoe wrote: »

Id do a real play by post game If I could think of a good system to run it in. I am only really familiar with the DnD/Pathfinder family, StarWars (RCR, Saga) and Vampire.

I have tons of actual game ideas -- but no players around here to play with.

@ me if you ever start one. I've only played in one PBP game and I enjoyed the hell out of it before it fizzled. I always seem to miss the start up of games too.

JPants on
  • Options
    I also got a message that vote counts during the night mattered....somehow.

Who sent that?

Should have been post counts. We sent that. I was just trying to think of vaguely reasonable mechanics things that were, as far as we knew, entirely lies. In the hopes that someone would maybe believe it and it would start a discussion, thus distracting the village from things that actually mattered.

Steam profile