As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mac Thread: Yes you can turn off the 3d glass effect! W/Y/H

• SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well, I'm poor as shit, so I'd have to sell it. In no way is the "Switch" campaign influencing my decisions.

Sami on
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So, I've finally switched to Leopard. It's awesome as fuck.
    Even managed to clear out my dock, as an Applications menu using Stacks is even better. Using these:
    http://t.ecksdee.org/post/19001860

The translucent dock is no way as bad as people made out, if anything I quite like it. And I've long been a side-docker, so the 3D thing doesn't bother me.

Overall: Worth every penny.

ben0207 on
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Sami wrote: »
    Well, I'm poor as shit, so I'd have to sell it. In no way is the "Switch" campaign influencing my decisions.

If you are judging your ability to properly assess your technological requirements based on 30 second advert spots, then perhaps you should stick with Windows, until you can actually do some research and find out whether a Mac suits your needs.

Those adverts aren't meant to switch people like you.

Lewisham on
  • victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    He just said that he isn't influenced by those ads. I don't understand where he is wrong here.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
    edited November 2007
    victor_c26 wrote: »
    He just said that he isn't influenced by those ads. I don't understand where he is wrong here.

He seemed to be implying that he thought he was supposed to be. *shrug*.

Anyway, if you want a Mac, buy one. Can we put that in the thread OP or something?

Lewisham on
    edited November 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »
    The translucent dock is no way as bad as people made out, if anything I quite like it. And I've long been a side-docker, so the 3D thing doesn't bother me.

I am getting used to the Dock in 3D, I had to switch from being a side-docker to a bottom docker as the betas had 3D on the side as well, which really fucked up your perspective and made me feel weird.

I'm actually now a bottom docker (as I have mine hidden anyway) as I've realised it's quicker to get to it as it is closer to my mouse at all times.

Lewisham on
  • corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Lewisham wrote: »
    ben0207 wrote: »

I am getting used to the Dock in 3D, I had to switch from being a side-docker to a bottom docker as the betas had 3D on the side as well, which really fucked up your perspective and made me feel weird.

I'm actually now a bottom docker (as I have mine hidden anyway) as I've realised it's quicker to get to it as it is closer to my mouse at all times.

I just leave mine unhidden and rather big now. It looks pretty, and with Spaces I have too much desktop real-estate anyway.

I really like the reflections of windows on it. Makes the whole shell feel unified, rather than individual bits all stuck together.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
    edited November 2007
    corcorigan wrote: »
    I really like the reflections of windows on it. Makes the whole shell feel unified, rather than individual bits all stuck together.

Which is the thing that Leopard finally gets right. Ever since iTunes back in 10.2 got brushed metal, it's been going the wrong way.

Leopard with it's heavy metal stylings is hard to get used to, but looks so much better when you do. It also integrates much better with the black palettes from the Apple Pro apps, so much so that I've themed Adium to look like them, as well as Growl. It all finally fits together.

Lewisham on
  • hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So my parents just told me they're getting me a Macbook for Graduation/Christmas. I get to choose. I can go for the 2.0 GHz or the 2.2, which has 40 more gigabytes of memory. How much of a difference will the .2 GHz make, if I can get a ton of RAM instead?

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
    edited November 2007
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    So my parents just told me they're getting me a Macbook for Graduation/Christmas. I get to choose. I can go for the 2.0 GHz or the 2.2, which has 40 more gigabytes of memory. How much of a difference will the .2 GHz make, if I can get a ton of RAM instead?

Absolutely none at all. Well maybe if you are encoding video or something and keen on saving a couple of minutes.

I'd get the ram externally from Apple though. Apple charge a fortune for something you can fit in about 30 seconds and buy for far less.

You can presumably choose to upgrade the hard drive if you so wish. (?)

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, it's all about the RAM.

Lewisham on
  • AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If you don't care about the extra 200mhz, just get the base model and upgrade the hard drive and RAM yourself. Apple overcharges on these things by like 200%

Azio on
    edited November 2007
    Well, what if I'm completely computer-illiterate? Still difficult? Pay the Apple premium? Or buy it in a store and have them install it?

hoodie13 on
    @hoodiethirteen
  • tracertongtracertong Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well, what if I'm completely computer-illiterate? Still difficult? Pay the Apple premium? Or buy it in a store and have them install it?

you cant mess it up....unless you open it and spill your coffee into it or something.

tracertong on
  • lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    tracertong wrote: »

you cant mess it up....unless you open it and spill your coffee into it or something.

This will have to do, but I remember seeing a video where a guy did it with one hand, while filming with his other hand. The hard part for me was finding the damn screwdriver that fits, as the space is pretty small, so I had to unscrew it at an angle.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1Zjzv-mJxFY

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Seriously, don't do it.

Let me put it this way: 4GB of RAM is around $120 from somebody reasonable. From Apple, it's $850.

You'd have a really hard time screwing it up on a MacBook - if you've ever put together a simple piece of furniture or checked the oil on your car you can do it. You might need to buy a smaller size screwdriver, but that's all you'll need.

rufo on
  • SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    hoodie: Are you sure you're talking about RAM, or is it a hard drive that's 40 gigabytes larger? 40 gigabytes of RAM would be absurdly large, and even 4 gigs would be a lot for them to offer with a macbook.

Smasher on
  • LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Absolutely none at all. Well maybe if you are encoding video or something and keen on saving a couple of minutes.

I'd get the ram externally from Apple though. Apple charge a fortune for something you can fit in about 30 seconds and buy for far less.

You can presumably choose to upgrade the hard drive if you so wish. (?)

I dunno if the low end MacBooks still don't have them, but the thing you wanna look out for is a DVD burner. That could be a lifesaver.

LoneIgadzra on
  • bashbash Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

I would get the higher end model simply because it has a dual layer DVD burner and a larger hard drive. You'll want to grab as much RAM as you can afford later, it is ridiculously simple to install it. You only really need a jeweler's screwdriver (00 gauge). Going on NewEgg to get RAM will save you a few hundred dollars. You're not likely to notice the 200MHz speed difference but the DVD burner and larger hard drive will make a huge difference down the road.

If you're going to be able to pick this system up soon Apple does Black Friday discounts, typically on their consumer machines. IIRC they had a $100 discount on the iMac and MacBooks last year. If you're a college student you qualify for the education discount on hardware which is somewhere between 8-10% depending on the machine. I don't know if you get the education and BF discount simultaneously but if you aren't buying the system for a while the education discount will help out.

bash on
    comi-sig1.jpg
    edited November 2007
    OK, just checked and it looks like she only gets maybe 15%. And it looks like the BF deals don't stack (a good deal of money off several accessories and hardware and stuff). It's cheaper with her teacher discount, so we'll go with the second model with .2 GHz more and I'll just install the RAM myself. Thanks for your help!

edit: oh, and I meant 40 more gigs of HD space. I'll just upgrade to the 4 gigs RAM myself.

hoodie13 on
    @hoodiethirteen
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    DVD BURNER

The low end macbook doesn't burn DVD's. That alone is worth it.

Fuck apple for not putting a DVD burniner into the low end macbook.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    edited November 2007
    wunderbar wrote: »
    DVD BURNER

The low end macbook doesn't burn DVD's. That alone is worth it.

Fuck apple for not putting a DVD burniner into the low end macbook.

Uh, I just bought a $20 external DVD burner. Works fine for me. Looking back, I might have upgraded to an 80 gig HD, but even that isn't such a big deal. I'm sure I can use a 60 gig HD if I ever decide to upgrade. I bought the lowest end MacBook, the one that still had a CoreDuo, and upgraded the ram myself. I see deals for 2 gigs for $40, and I regret not waiting a little bit longer before dropping $200 on ram. Meh.

'cause you guys are cool, iPod Shuffles for $40. It's orange though. Sorry.

http://www.lacomputercompany.com/cgi-bin/rpcart/index.cgi?command=dispitem&type=sku&sku=24867

lordswing on
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Any good freeware word processors you all would recommend for Mac?

Edit:

I downloaded Open Office, but it is telling me I need X11. I have osx 10.4.10, and X11 is not in the Utilities or the Application folders, like it says on the Open Office site.

Also, I downloaded X11, and when I install it, the installer tells me I already have software that is more recent

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited November 2007
    Don't use OpenOffice. Use NeoOffice.

There aren't any good freeware word processors. Smultron is a good free text editor, but if you want an actual word processor, it's NeoOffice or nothing.

I suggest buying iWork.

Lewisham on
    edited November 2007
    So I just updated OS X, and now Safari is being lame. Is anyone having trouble with spoilers on this forum? I can't write on Facebook walls either. Bleh.I definitely don't have any more updates to install, and everything worked fine before the update (I never used the beta version of Safari 3).

lordswing on
    edited November 2007
    lordswing wrote: »
    So I just updated OS X, and now Safari is being lame. Is anyone having trouble with spoilers on this forum? I can't write on Facebook walls either. Bleh.I definitely don't have any more updates to install, and everything worked fine before the update (I never used the beta version of Safari 3).

Safari > Reset Safari

A little dialog will come up asking what you want reset, the default is everything and I suggest leaving it as such (maybe deselect saved form names and/or cookies). If you upgraded from Tiger you might have some caches from Safari 2 causing trouble with Safari 3. This might be solved just by emptying the cache but resetting Safari is likely to clear out more lingering issues you haven't come across yet.

bash on
    comi-sig1.jpg
  • freshmasterfreshfreshmasterfresh Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Forbe! wrote: »
    Any good freeware word processors you all would recommend for Mac?

Edit:

I downloaded Open Office, but it is telling me I need X11. I have osx 10.4.10, and X11 is not in the Utilities or the Application folders, like it says on the Open Office site.

Also, I downloaded X11, and when I install it, the installer tells me I already have software that is more recent

I've been using the iWork trial since I installed leopard. You can download it from apple and they give you 30 days free with full functionality.

freshmasterfresh on
    happysig.png
  • JeakJeak Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Neo office works well as a word replacement but the other apps seem rather buggy, especially the database software. If all you need is a word processor though it should work fine.

X11 can be installed from the OSS installation DVD by the way.

Jeak on
  • carbon13carbon13 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So my Macbook is dying every time the battery gets into the red. Seriously, half an hour left in the battery indicator then the whole thing dies. No warning or going to sleep, just shutting down, losing all my work.

Is my battery borked? I'm out of warranty, so will the Apple dudes rape me for all my moneys?

carbon13 on
    First rule of Teacher Club: You don't touch the kids.
    Second rule of Teacher Club: You DO NOT touch the kids.
  • Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I just got my old 800mhz iBook G4 back in working condition again. Mostly I just had to buy a new ac adapter for the thing, but I also bought a new keyboard for it because the ink on the old keys rubbed off. It's been more than a year since the guy was last running.
    Anyway, I'm still running...Leopard? I believe? Version 10.3.9, whichever that one is. I've got 640mb of ram (maximum offered on my model at the time, which went up, along with minimum processor speed, a month after I bought the damn thing :roll:) and the 32mb video card the thing came with. Is it worth bothering to upgrade the OS or would I be better off leaving it as-is and keep using it primarily for in-living-room webernets browsing and reading .pdfs?

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
    edited November 2007
    I just got my old 800mhz iBook G4 back in working condition again. Mostly I just had to buy a new ac adapter for the thing, but I also bought a new keyboard for it because the ink on the old keys rubbed off. It's been more than a year since the guy was last running.
    Anyway, I'm still running...Leopard? I believe? Version 10.3.9, whichever that one is. I've got 640mb of ram (maximum offered on my model at the time, which went up, along with minimum processor speed, a month after I bought the damn thing :roll:) and the 32mb video card the thing came with. Is it worth bothering to upgrade the OS or would I be better off leaving it as-is and keep using it primarily for in-living-room webernets browsing and reading .pdfs?

You can't put 10.5 on it (easily), but 10.4 would be an improvement.

10.3 is fine if you're just browsing the net or whatever. Besides looking prettier and have a handy search tool nothing too vital (from your end anyway) has been added.

And yeah, all my stuff has always been bought days before a major upgrade. Meh.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
    edited November 2007
    carbon13 wrote: »
    So my Macbook is dying every time the battery gets into the red. Seriously, half an hour left in the battery indicator then the whole thing dies. No warning or going to sleep, just shutting down, losing all my work.

Is my battery borked? I'm out of warranty, so will the Apple dudes rape me for all my moneys?

No, it's not your battery. If it was your battery, your system would still be capable of falling asleep and thus not losing your work.

You should call Apple support.

Lewisham on
    edited November 2007
    bash wrote: »
    lordswing wrote: »

Safari > Reset Safari

A little dialog will come up asking what you want reset, the default is everything and I suggest leaving it as such (maybe deselect saved form names and/or cookies). If you upgraded from Tiger you might have some caches from Safari 2 causing trouble with Safari 3. This might be solved just by emptying the cache but resetting Safari is likely to clear out more lingering issues you haven't come across yet.

Poo, I emptied the cache and reset Safari, still have the same problems. At least I can see my gmail inbox instead of having to rely on my RSS reader, but that's cause I'm in "basic HTML" mode. I never upgraded to Leopard, just had the most recent Tiger updates.

lordswing on
    edited November 2007
    Delete your com.Apple.Safari preferences file.

Lewisham on
    edited November 2007
    Thanks, that fixed it.

lordswing on
    edited November 2007
    OK, all you people who said I should buy my own RAM and install it myself. I need help finding the right RAM, as I'm completely lost here on NewEgg.

What on this page do you KNOW I can install and you KNOW will work well? What makes some RAM better than others? Who makes the best RAM? Is there anyone I should absolutely stay away from?

hoodie13 on
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

You can't put 10.5 on it (easily), but 10.4 would be an improvement.

10.3 is fine if you're just browsing the net or whatever. Besides looking prettier and have a handy search tool nothing too vital (from your end anyway) has been added.

And yeah, all my stuff has always been bought days before a major upgrade. Meh.
    Thanks! Looks like I'll be leaving the old boy as-is.
    Just as a point of curiosity, why would putting 10.5 on it be more difficult?

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
    edited November 2007
    Your 800Mhz I believe is below or at minimum spec. I personally wouldn't do it from my experience on an old G4.

Lewisham on
  • Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The minimum is 1 Ghz with 512 mb of RAM. There were ways around Tiger's minimum specs, maybe there's something out there for Leopard.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
    edited November 2007
    I wouldn't bother getting a below spec machine to run Leopard. You'll essentially end up with Tiger++ for the full price of Leopard. I'd set that money aside and stop drinking expensive coffee for a few months and invest in a newer Leopard capable machine. If Tiger does everything you need just stick with your current setup until you need to do a HW upgrade. I've seen a few guides that use third party software on Tiger to emulate Leopard features. You might want to search around for those and then you can get new capability without spending unneeded effort making Leopard work poorly on under spec hardware.

bash on
    comi-sig1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.