As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What Do You Do In Your Off Time From PAX?

LynbmwLynbmw Registered User regular
Hey guys,

I was just thinking recently about how in my off time from PAX South in San Antonio, it gets kind of boring. I see some sit around and play coop games together, card games, nap in the corners and so on but there's gotta be more than that. What do you and your friends do as a tradition there or at other PAX shows? I was trying to think of fun or funny things to do like odd things, maybe buy air furniture and create our own living room to play games in the convention hall, or maybe there's a cool cafe nearby.

• TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Talk non-stop about the next one

Edit: I guess that's what I get for reading the title and nothing else...

Grab food, drinks, board games, wander around? Nothing too crazy but always keeping busy.

TheAggroCraig on
  • fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I think they meant during the show.

• misskassmisskass Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    My favourite memories of PAX are lying on the beanbags on Sunday morning wondering why living the con life is so difficult.

• fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    This should probably be in the general pax forum, but when I'm not pinning or challenge coining me and my brother like checking out the retro lounge and reminiscing.

• LynbmwLynbmw Registered User regular
    I thought I posted there. Weird. I was thinking of classic game comps in the hotel or something else to look forward to there. I don't know about anyone else but if I've got a few hours to burn, I'm usually beat by then but still want something else to do or see besides staying inside the convention. Meh. There's still time to figure it out.

I might as well post there too since it didn't go to general.

• evanephrineevanephrine ev-an-eff-rinn Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    My off-PAX routine:
    AdiBPrO.jpg

Oh whoops, now I see what you mean! I try to stay at the convention center for as long as possible, so once I'm out my main goal is finding food and hanging out with people as much as possible. In the past we've had pretty big groups get together for games like Secret Hitler but it's also nice to just grab some drinks with a couple people.

evanephrine on
  • SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    Mines Simple: Work my booth that is open after the floor closes. Enjoy showing off the games. Head to a few rare panels. Hope my Pin friends come see me!

• SennoSenno AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I give away cookies as part of cookie brigade :)

• EseellEseell Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    Panels and food. My friends and I try to find the best places to eat around the convention centers, although it definitely takes a few years to work through all the options. I think Seattle is the only one we can go out every meal and not find any bad food. Or Australia, but that's because as far as I can tell, there isn't any bad food in Melbourne.

It's definitely not easy to find places close by in SA or even ones decent. River walk places have never been great although we hit up a new burger place that had just opened and it was good.

Giving away cookies sounds like fun!

• orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    Lynbmw wrote: »
    It's definitely not easy to find places close by in SA or even ones decent

Define close, because there's several places within a mile that are definitely worth the walk. Head towards King William District as opposed to the Riverwalk.

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • ndwhiteyndwhitey AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I lie down, close my eyes and hope to god my feet stop feeling numb enough to do the next day of PAX

• vonhistvonhist Mr Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    food and other necessary body maintenance.

• HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    PAX is something you do in between meals for me. Also, if you haven't gone to the Station Cafe in San Antonio, you're missing out on some of the best sandwiches ever - http://thestationsa.com/

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • SerpicoBCSerpicoBC Registered User regular
    PAX East: Since I'm a local, I usually always leave PAX by dinner, and I'm home fifteen minutes or so later. I generally try to stay in at night after PAX, since my wife is suuuuper patient with the fact that I'm essentially a ghost during the day for a whole weekend.

PAX Prime: I stay with two college friends when I'm out there, and we have a nice gaming group that comes together when on that weekend every year. So we game and eat and catch up.

PAX South: This is my most "PAX"y PAX, since I don't have a wife or friends to go home to at the end of the day. I try to stay out, hang out with pinfolk, and maybe hit a party.