As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2017 Information, FAQ, and Q&A Thread (Ask Questions Here!)

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    BYOC is the Bring Your Own Computer room and is totally unnecessary unless you're planning on doing exactly that =)

• millerm277millerm277 Registered User regular
    Gamul1 wrote: »
    Can I ask a dumb question? I bought my tickets for Saturday and during checkout it said something about BYOC tickets. Not knowing what that was really i just skipped it. Seems like that was for gaming at night? Will the tickets I bought allow my family to stay during the evening if we want? What will our limitations be if we "only" have the regular Saturday tickets? I got back in the queue but the only option was to buy the normal tickets so the BYOC was something of an add on I guess.

Hope I didnt screw up too badly.

No. BYOC is "Bring Your Own Computer". There's an area of the convention for it (as in, you bring your whole desktop, get an area to setup for the whole con, etc). Think of it as something for the people who want to be in a big LANParty at PAX.

That's what you need to sign up separately for.

Everyone can stay in the evening, the show floor (in past years) closes at 6, but panels, concerts, and other events/gaming keep on going on Friday/Saturday until close.

• Jigglypuff510Jigglypuff510 Registered User regular
    I screwed up my town name on billing, thanks to PAX Support I got it fixed almost 5 minutes into my email, thank god there real work horses even in this hectic moment !

TbjrD9q.png
  • RayzeRayze Registered User regular
    Can I ask a dumb question? I bought my tickets for Saturday and during checkout it said something about BYOC tickets. Not knowing what that was really i just skipped it. Seems like that was for gaming at night? Will the tickets I bought allow my family to stay during the evening if we want? What will our limitations be if we "only" have the regular Saturday tickets? I got back in the queue but the only option was to buy the normal tickets so the BYOC was something of an add on I guess.

Hope I didnt screw up too badly.

BYOC is Bring Your Own Computer, which is separate from normal badges. It's only for people who are bringing their computers to PAX. The tickets you bought for Saturday are good from open to close on Saturday.

• Gamul1Gamul1 Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Thanks Beker!

One more question. Where we are planning to be there early for when the doors open, can we leave for the afternoon and come back in the evening (reentry)? I dont know that we would want to leave but it may be helpful to make it not such a long day to stay as late as possible that night. It sounds too fun so I want to make the most of it.

Gamul1 on
    edited October 2016
    Thanks Beker!

One more question. Where we are planning to be there early for when the doors open, can we leave for the afternoon and come back in the evening? I dont know that we would want to leave but it may be helpful to make it not such a long day to stay as late as possible that night. Its sounds too fun so I want to make the most of it.

Yes, you can come back anytime during the day that you want.

Rayze on
    Thanks Beker!

One more question. Where we are planning to be there early for when the doors open, can we leave for the afternoon and come back in the evening (reentry)? I dont know that we would want to leave but it may be helpful to make it not such a long day to stay as late as possible that night. It sounds too fun so I want to make the most of it.

Yes but be careful, theres crunks all over the BCEC ive heard stories of theft right from the persons neck.

TbjrD9q.png
  • hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    Beker wrote: »
    BYOC LAN area, which is a pretty small (but important for some people) part of the show.

You got that right. ;)

row1.pngrow2.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Thanks Beker!

Yes but be careful, theres crunks all over the BCEC ive heard stories of theft right from the persons neck.
    This is not helpful at all.

There is absolutely re-entry to PAX.

zerzhul wrote: »
    Thanks Beker!

This is not helpful at all.

There is absolutely re-entry to PAX.

I know that but im what saying that theres is people outside the convention center who try to steal pases

TbjrD9q.png
    Maybe, but it's the name-calling that was uncalled for. Let's get back to Q&A.

• rdiffee7rdiffee7 Registered User regular
    I purchased 4 sets of passes for Friday and Saturday and my roommate purchased a set for himself of Friday/Saturday. Is there a risk of our passes being cancelled as we have the same billing address and if so, who should we contact?

• MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Macon, GARegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    [Edit] Nevermind. Misread the above.

Marino on
    rdiffee7 wrote: »
    I purchased 4 sets of passes for Friday and Saturday and my roommate purchased a set for himself of Friday/Saturday. Is there a risk of our passes being cancelled as we have the same billing address and if so, who should we contact?
    Could be, yes. pax_questions@paxsite.com

• Roasted!Roasted! Registered User new member
    Hello this is probably an incredibly stupid question but I'm going to be going to my first PAX ever and I keep hearing something about competitive gaming there.Can someone explain to me what that's like and what games are played competitively, as well as who can play them?
    Thanks,

Roasted! wrote: »
    Hello this is probably an incredibly stupid question but I'm going to be going to my first PAX ever and I keep hearing something about competitive gaming there.Can someone explain to me what that's like and what games are played competitively, as well as who can play them?
    Thanks,

There is PAX Arena which is usually invite-only featuring a list of games, there are also console/pc tournaments near the freeplay areas at certain times, however those types are more so for fun rather than an actual esport/fgc tourney

TbjrD9q.png
  • LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular

Roasted! wrote: »
    Thanks,

There is PAX Arena which is usually invite-only featuring a list of games, there are also console/pc tournaments near the freeplay areas at certain times, however those types are more so for fun rather than an actual esport/fgc tourney

And the Omegathon, but that's only for about 10 people, selected from all candidates who opted to be eligeable.

There's also tabletop tourneys for a variety of games, as well.

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • SolanalesSolanales CMYKMatter Registered User regular
    Does anyone know when the construction on the BCEC is supposed to be finished?

P0P7S6y.png
  • monkoshmonkosh NYCRegistered User regular
    Solanales wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the construction on the BCEC is supposed to be finished?

Currently on hold.
    http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/real_estate/2016/04/with-1b-bcec-expansion-on-hold-a-smaller-hotel-in.html

iec5nehi4ot3.png
  • ViciousKidViciousKid Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Hi,

Will the Boston Convention Center be serving alcohol this year?

ViciousKid on
  • JohnBlazeNYCJohnBlazeNYC Registered User regular
    They always do.

• melzwaymelzway Registered User regular
    They didn't this past PAX

• djlybsdjlybs Slayer of the Datas Boston MetroRegistered User regular
    They probably won't again this year... they had issues with people taking beer away from the bar in years past...

MvyuK6O.png
  • Sean09877Sean09877 Registered User new member
    I just bought tickets for my pax east 2017 and while I was putting in my info to buy it, I forgot to put my apartment number in my billing address. Is there a way I can put my apt number in it after I ordered it, because i don't the passes to get lost.

• ViciousKidViciousKid Registered User regular
    djlybs wrote: »
    They probably won't again this year... they had issues with people taking beer away from the bar in years past...

Would be great if we could get a definite answer.

• RmaxpRmaxp Registered User new member
    I don't have any friends who are going to be at PAX east, is there anywhere I could go to talk to people now about meeting up when the event comes? Like a discord server or something similar?

• casstronautcasstronaut Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Question: I bought too many passes thinking friends of mine would need them, and they ended up getting their own. (I AM NOT TRYING TO SELL THEM HERE, SO PLEASE DON'T ASK.) Is there a rule against reselling them at face value? I would like to get my money back, but I don't want to risk having the rest of my passes rescinded. Thanks for your help!

(top)
    IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING BUYING PASSES FROM SECONDARY SOURCES

I just bought a pass on craigslist / ebay, how do I know if it's legit?
    If you purchase your pass from a second hand source, you are putting yourself at risk of purchasing a counterfeit pass. Second hand sources also include this forum, which is why there is no buy/sell/trade of pax passes on this forum. That doesn't mean that all second hand sources are illegitimate, but it is very important to understand this risk.

AT PAX you can have badges verified by badge-checking enforcers outside the show. There is no way to verify a second-hand badge prior to being at PAX.

2l6cl2.jpg

edited October 2016
    Question: I bought too many passes thinking friends of mine would need them, and they ended up getting their own. (I AM NOT TRYING TO SELL THEM HERE, SO PLEASE DON'T ASK.) Is there a rule against reselling them at face value? I would like to get my money back, but I don't want to risk having the rest of my passes rescinded. Thanks for your help!

(top)

If you purchase your pass from a second hand source, you are putting yourself at risk of purchasing a counterfeit pass. Second hand sources also include this forum, which is why there is no buy/sell/trade of pax passes on this forum. That doesn't mean that all second hand sources are illegitimate, but it is very important to understand this risk.

AT PAX you can have badges verified by badge-checking enforcers outside the show. There is no way to verify a second-hand badge prior to being at PAX.

2l6cl2.jpg

A couple of years ago, I sold off extra badges on Craigslist for face value and it was fine. Just do it in a safe place and you'll be good.

Once you get your passes, it's up to you with what you want to do with them.

Rayze on
  • robirexrobirex BostonRegistered User regular

(top)

2l6cl2.jpg

I bought my tickets last PAX on r/PAXPassExchange for $10 over face value per badge. I believe PAX does not support people buying badges through secondary markets due to counterfeit badges that were produced in the past. The seller on PAXPassExchange was great though, smooth transaction, delivery was timely and receipt and pictures were provided quickly. I would suggest doing the same thing and selling them through PayPal. PayPal provides insurance on any consumer transactions protecting the buyer and seller in a variety of scenarios. In years past, your name is not assigned to your badges either so while PAX does have a policy stating the badges are not for resale there is nothing actually preventing the person from doing so.

6pq9je4.png
    more Sat passes just became available

6pq9je4.png
  • deestardeestar [E]nforcer PAXEast Vermont Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Rmaxp wrote: »
    I don't have any friends who are going to be at PAX east, is there anywhere I could go to talk to people now about meeting up when the event comes? Like a discord server or something similar?

Once it gets closer to the dates for East, there is usually an Events and Meetups thread that holds info about gatherings, developer/exhibitor parties, game nights and other events that will be posted here in the forums. If you have a 3DS that is also a great way to make friends at PAX- just leave your Streetpass on and someone will always be willing to play a game or two with you. There are are also several PAX East groups on FB where you can meetup with people to plan gatherings and events.

deestar on
    ViciousKid wrote: »
    djlybs wrote: »

Would be great if we could get a definite answer.
    your best bet is to email pax_questions@paxsite.com for that one, if you want an answer based on the future plans as opposed to our past experiences.

robirex wrote: »
    This is neither a q nor an a

(top)

2l6cl2.jpg
    I don't believe there is a legal issue with giving your badge to another person in exchange for some amount of dollars. Best bet is to email pax_questions@paxsite.com

robirex wrote: »
    This is neither a q nor an a

Yeah wrong thread. My apologies.

6pq9je4.png
  • InfiniteNuLLInfiniteNuLL Registered User regular
    (top)

2l6cl2.jpg
    I don't believe there is a legal issue with giving your badge to another person in exchange for some amount of dollars. Best bet is to email pax_questions@paxsite.com
    Just for some further clarification, I believe I heard there are some laws in some states (I'm Canadian so I'm not really confident in this) that indicate event tickets, if resold, have to be sold at the same or less face value as the initial purchase. I THINK I recall someone saying that is the case in Mass.

FF14 - Failia Zebonaiza, Behemoth Server, FC: 404 Guild Not Found
    PAX East Attendee - 2015, 2016
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    (top)

2l6cl2.jpg
    Just for some further clarification, I believe I heard there are some laws in some states (I'm Canadian so I'm not really confident in this) that indicate event tickets, if resold, have to be sold at the same or less face value as the initial purchase. I THINK I recall someone saying that is the case in Mass.

Massachussets does have a strict scalping law, but my research tells me there is no enforcement of it online. But trying to sell at any kind of markup at the venue would be a potentially risky move.

• PainePaine Registered User regular
    I noticed this year that during the purchasing process there was a disclaimer that said that passes are non-resaleable and non-transferable under any circumstances. I don't know if this is normal and just never enforced or if it is new this year. In either case, it is technically forbidden to sell badges at any price.

6nOrszL.png
    I would still email pax_questions@paxsite.com for clarification on that.

edited October 2016
    The text on the registration page has been updated to the following:
    NO exchanges or refunds. Tickets to PAX East are non-refundable and non-upgradeable.

zerzhul on