As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[tech] It's Tech Spring Cleaning Week now. Clean your....tech....stuff.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Ok Google

that's a pretty sweet easter egg

• That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    so I'm in the states right now and would like to get a simcard with some data for maps and stuff when I'm walking around and maybe using lyft or uber for one or two trips.

I have this model iPhone

Model A1586*/ Model A1524*
    CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)
    UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)
    TD-SCDMA 1900 (F), 2000 (A)
    GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
    FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29)
    TD-LTE (Bands 38, 39, 40, 41)

which US networks can I get a sim from and pop into my phone and it should work?

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Guys I want one of those Yoga Books so bad.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Guys I want one of those Yoga Books so bad.

i know

so many parts of them seem really dumb

but man I want one, I used to have their older laptop tablets

they were always hot messes but surely this cheaper cut-rate one will be perfect this time

perfect I say

The reviews have been very positive! And it looks like a spaceship and the good kind, the TNG black panel kind, not the goofy steampunk space pipe thing like in Alien.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    so I'm in the states right now and would like to get a simcard with some data for maps and stuff when I'm walking around and maybe using lyft or uber for one or two trips.

I have this model iPhone

which US networks can I get a sim from and pop into my phone and it should work?

@that Dave fella go with t mobile

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Ok, so someone offered advice for my parenfs first smartphone

They linked this article
    http://m.thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-budget-android-phone/

The Blu R1 HD is on backorder or something at Amazon.

I see this Blu makes a ton of phones.

Are any of the others decent?

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I have this model iPhone

I bought a Net10 deal when I was there last, it has SIM cards from t-mobile, AT-AT and.. sprint? in it, you just use the one you want. Beware though, they geo-block their user self-service portal, so once you're out of the country you can't unsubscribe from their emails.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Ok, so someone offered advice for my parenfs first smartphone

They linked this article
    http://m.thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-budget-android-phone/

The Blu R1 HD is on backorder or something at Amazon.

I see this Blu makes a ton of phones.

Are any of the others decent?

I have no personal experience with their stuff. I wouldn't get one of their other phones without a comprehensive review somewhere.

• mcpmcp Registered User regular
    My Google Pixel shipped and is apparently going to be here tomorrow.

So excited to get rid of my current phone.

So, my mom wants to get a prepaid plan, of some flavor. She and my Pops currently have a 10 year old flip phone from trac phone. They don't use it too much, but the device itself is worn out.

She wants to try and find something similar to just buying minutes.

That's not how things work though, right?

I'm taking her to the local Verizon store today, and were going to check out the straight talk stuff at Wal-Mart.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I have a question I think.

Let's say that I have a tmo family plan with three lines.

How easy or hard would it be to split off my mom into her own plan and maybe get my brother moved over to probably one of those pay as you go plans since he hardly makes any calls at all?

I imagine my mom might be able to keep her number if she stays with tmo but my brother might even need a new handset?

See as it is I am paying close to 160 a month not including my installments on the Samsung Galaxy s7 or the Google play music subscription. Not bad for three phone lines with data and such but I figure I'd save some money this way.

So, my mom wants to get a prepaid plan, of some flavor. She and my Pops currently have a 10 year old flip phone from trac phone. They don't use it too much, but the device itself is worn out.

I'm taking her to the local Verizon store today, and were going to check out the straight talk stuff at Wal-Mart.

No, nothing like that really. You may want to look at Consumer Cellular - their customer service is geared to the 55+ set and is supposedly pretty good.

I had straight talk about 3 years ago, I thini think it was $45/month for 2gb. I wonder what they are like now.

I had straight talk about 3 years ago, I thini think it was $45/month for 2gb. I wonder what they are like now.

It's $45 for 5GB of high-speed and then throttled after that.

• schussschuss Registered User regular

You can absolutely still get flip phones etc. from Verizon et al. For just talk/text it's 15 bucks a month I think for VZW prepaid. Maybe 30. I pay my Mom's bill at straight talk as well and including some data it's 30 or so a month.

A Chinese smartphone manufacturer LeEco is launching their phones in the US in the coming months.

Their phones are super powerful and super cheap (like a lot of Chinese smartphones it seems)

Might look into getting one of those. Since it looks like LeEco is attempting to hit a lot of markets at the same time (smartphones, smartbikes, electric cars (who the hell is helping them there is the real question), and a cloud system) I wonder if they're trying to take on companies like M$ in business and Apple in consumer demand and whether it will work.

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular

My parents use TracFone and it works for them. Bought some ZTE phone with a big screen and it comes with a permanent tripling of service so for every $100 service card they buy gets them 1200 minutes, 1200 texts and 1.2GB of data for a year. Now, the data is only a tiny amount but they are on wifi like 90% of the time whether at home, at my brothers place, at my aunt's place or wherever.

My wife and I use Cricket Wireless and they're fine, cheap and easy and works off of AT&T's network so coverage is usually good.

I got them a Moto G?

We went to Verizon. $45/month 2gb high speed, bumped up to 3 if they decide to do auto pay.

It's a very nice phone, and it was on some kind of promotion, so it was only $85.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Well it is samsung's proprietary exploding technology

Copyright 2016 do not steal

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    So got a nexus 5x issue

I'm trying to pair it to my Bluetooth headphones, a pair of Arctic p311's

They do pair fine but I can't get the audio to come out of the headphones and not the phone speakers?

Any ideas?

Hmm so it looks like my new phone is Bluetooth 4.2 and my headphones are bluetooth 4.0.

I think they might not be compatible?

The phone's bluetooth should be backwards compatible to the headphones. It sounds like it's not detecting it as an audio device, or it has it there but the headphones are not being selected as the default audio device. Now that they're paired, does it give you some options as to what to use them for?

Unfortunately not. It pairs fine, and when I select it in Bluetooth menu the box was already ticked for phone audio.

I did a complete reset of the pairing and now it's working.

Hurrah

And thank you @pimento

This wasn't working until you posted so I'm saying you made it work, don't argue with me

Karl wrote: »

Hurrah

And thank you @pimento

This wasn't working until you posted so I'm saying you made it work, don't argue with me

I'm prepared to take that credit.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »

Hurrah

And thank you @pimento

I've called pimento with problems before and they have fixed themselves while on the phone with him so it checks out.

I am the tech whisperer.

Except when it comes to my own stuff, then it's mostly the tech swearing person, and that never helps.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Yeah, but youtube receives something like 19 million DCMA notices a day.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Youtube are super pissy about takedown requests if you're not a giant company. If you're a giant company you can do whatever the fuck you want.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Youtube are super pissy about takedown requests if you're not a giant company. If you're a giant company you can do whatever the fuck you want.

Yeah it's basically a cyberpunk novel.

Got my Pixel! It's got a nice weight to it. It feels more solid than the Nexus 5 I had, which is good.

Transferring data from my old phone was a little fidgety, but I think that was more my old phone being a pile of crap.

Switching to Project Fi was simple, and really fast. Last time I switched phone carriers it took a few hours for the request to go through. This took like 1 minute to transfer my number. The account section for Project Fi is nice and simple compared to the labyrinth you have to transverse with T-Mobile.

The camera looks fantastic. It's less megapixels than the one on my M9, but takes much better pictures.

So far, I'm really stoked.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I was thinking of moving to Fi from tmobile. I have the iphone5s right now.

My only concern is I hated the last android phone I used.

That unlimited storage for pictures and video tickles my fanny though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    I like android when it comes right from Google.

The versions from HTC, Samsung, etc. where they pile of bunch of garbage on top of it suck.

Oneplus 3 and the xiaomi phones (if you're in Europe) are pretty good. The new LeEco phones are coming out soon that will be really cheap and you'll get a lot of bang for your buck out of them too.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    If you're gunning for Fi though, your only choice is a Nexus or Pixel phone (and if you want unlimited photos/videos, it's going to be Pixel, full stop). At least they're pretty good phones, though you're going to pay Apple prices for the Pixel.

This discussion has been closed.