As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

East 2017 Hotel Partners and Hotel Discussion

• SolanalesSolanales CMYKMatter Registered User regular
    havok978 wrote: »
    zerzhul wrote: »
    There was definitely Westin Waterfront availability right at the start. I assume it went really quick.

Indeed. There was a bit of a lull there between when the rooms went up and the post hit Twitter, and even still had a double room drop out from under me right as I was finishing. There were still one bed rooms available but they started going pretty quickly. I was surprised they were even available at all, since it seems like the past few years they weren't even in the system to even check until a few months before.

Ya I nearly grabbed one, but ended up just down the street... not too bad. I was definitely surprised to see them. I wonder if they're housing more of the staff/vendors in the Element/Aloft now as some folks mentioned there weren't as many suites available for the Element.

P0P7S6y.png
  • DominoDomino Keizen Mikazuki New York, NYRegistered User regular
    Westin Boston Waterfront is always available at the start from what I've experienced, it just sells out really fast. I'm happy to have 2 Westin Boston Waterfront rooms and an Element room :3

tFh5HdJ.png
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Crisis averted. Managed to book a room at the other Westin 20 minutes away from the BCEC for Thursday. A little more expensive, but for the Thursday night, it's not a bad thing. Then Friday morning we'll just check out and head over to Westin Boston Waterfront and situate ourselves for the weekend. :)

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    Anyone have experience or feedback on the Intercontinental? I'm a bit bummed we couldn't book closer than a mile when we've gotten within a few blocks the last few years but it was the first place I saw with any triple/quad rooms and now there's 8 of us since my group grew this year. Grabbed 2 rooms and know nothing of the place.

Anyone have experience or feedback on the Intercontinental? I'm a bit bummed we couldn't book closer than a mile when we've gotten within a few blocks the last few years but it was the first place I saw with any triple/quad rooms and now there's 8 of us since my group grew this year. Grabbed 2 rooms and know nothing of the place.

I stayed there in 2015 actually and enjoyed the place. The lobby is gorgeous but it is a bit of a walk from the convention center especially in March. I recommend taking the shuttle or something of that nature to get to and from the Con. The rooms themselves can be a little tight width wise due to the distance between the bottom of the bed and the dressers. We had 4 people per room that year and I'm not going to lie, it's a little cramped with that many people and that much stuff. That being said, the rooms were beautiful, the staff were extremely accommodating and I would stay there again just with less people.

The restaurant in the lobby is overpriced in my opinion but if you walk down to the corner of Atlantic and Congress, there's a restaurant there called Trade. I pimp that place out any time someone asks me where to eat in Boston. They're extremely friendly to PAX goers and have been wonderful to my group in both 2015 and 2016.

Oh... One possibly weird thing you may run into... We didn't have this problem, but we ran into a father and son that apparently had a room that had a window from the bathroom into the bedroom. I mean, maybe it's your fantasy to wake up and watch your friends cut rope but it's not mine. I'm not sure if that's only in the single bed rooms or what but it's something I usually mention when people ask about the place.

TL;DR - Tight but nice rooms , Trade is an awesome place to eat, careful of poo with a view.

P0P7S6y.png
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Funny about that whole bit of the bathroom having a view into the bedroom. I'm sure you would've mentioned it in your post, but could the room have had a hot tub/jacuzzi?

I've stayed at other hotels that have had ensuite hot tubs. One was a Hilton in Niagara Falls and the bathroom had a window you could open into the bedroom to watch TV from the tub if you wanted to, but since the hot tub was also in the bathroom, it could have made for some awkward situations if you were staying with friends who needed to go.

The other time was a drive back to Toronto from Atlanta, GA and I stayed at a Best Western in Michigan somewhere. The jacuzzi wasn't in the bathroom, but right in the same room as the bedroom, with only a wall of frosted glass hiding the view from either of the beds, but there was no door to close when you walked past the foot of the tub, so it was still fairly open since someone would need to pass you to go TO the bathroom.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    You know, we had noticed a small window in the bedroom of the aloft with a view of the shower too! Had to stand on your toes to see it so fairly non-threatening, but still odd.

• Canderson1989Canderson1989 Registered User regular
    Heads up. More rooms at the Element opened up.

• robirexrobirex BostonRegistered User regular

Thanks. I nailed down Element, obligating myself to Jimmy Johns dinner every night.

6pq9je4.png
  • Canderson1989Canderson1989 Registered User regular
    robirex wrote: »

Thanks. I nailed down Element, obligating myself to Jimmy Johns dinner every night.
    Haha, exactly what I did last year, except I was next door at the Aloft hotel and will do the same this year.

robirex wrote: »

Haha, exactly what I did last year, except I was next door at the Aloft hotel and will do the same this year.

That italian sub. How am I supposed to just walk by knowing that it's just a few feet away from me? I'm excited about Element. I've heard pretty good things about it.

6pq9je4.png
    Saturday at Westin is available

6pq9je4.png
  • nomisronomisro Brooklyn, NY, USARegistered User regular
    I finally snagged a room at the Western for next year. I have yet to book the same hotel every year. So far, the Seaport and Continental hotel were the best.

• craiolacraiola MARegistered User regular
    Managed to get my group a room at the Westin and 2 rooms at the Seaport. Per usual going to be stalking onpeak for 2 beds instead of 1beds. If not I somehow have amazing luck getting the hotel to upgrade them each year. :)

DXLJjjr.png
  • DemetirusDemetirus New Brunswick, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I went with the Omni since I've had good experience with them at other conventions, but this is my first PAX and also my first time in Boston so I'm not sure if this was a great choice. Anyone been to the Omni Parker House recently? What's it like? The distance to walk didn't seem too bad, but I have no idea what foot travel is like in Boston. Have I doomed myself with that 1.5mile walk?

• SnowDogSnowDog Central MARegistered User regular
    The Omni is a great hotel; I've been there the past 3 years. If the weather permits, the walk is not too bad. I've done a mix of taking the shuttle and walking in the morning, depending on weather and the line for the shuttle. I always took the shuttles back because you're exhausted at the end of the day and don't care how long it takes, compared to the morning when you're itching to go and be there.

You also have Boston Common right nearby, with a variety of restaurants available for breakfast, dinner, drinks. I always arrive mid-afternoon on Thursday and I've really enjoyed having the area near the Omni Parker House to walk around and explore.

The rooms are fine and the hotel is nice. I've had zero complaints. The rooms are small, but I've done a single bed room with a cot and a double bed room both and had no troubles with two people in either. I can't comment on the restaurant or bar.

That said, I was able to get Seaport this year and jumped at the chance. Being that close is very convenient and makes Sunday less stressful in my (limited) experience.

• Bunta_FujiwaraBunta_Fujiwara Albany, NYRegistered User regular
    Demetirus wrote: »
    I went with the Omni since I've had good experience with them at other conventions, but this is my first PAX and also my first time in Boston so I'm not sure if this was a great choice. Anyone been to the Omni Parker House recently? What's it like? The distance to walk didn't seem too bad, but I have no idea what foot travel is like in Boston. Have I doomed myself with that 1.5mile walk?

I stayed there a few years ago for PAX. The hotel itself is fine, but I want to stress something about the hotels. Get whichever is closest and within your price range. All the ones through onpeak are very suitable, and your average time in the hotel room is very small. 1.5 miles is fine ,and there is a shuttle, just keep in mind that it's going to be March and very cold, so take that into account.

zmYaVYP.png
  • DemetirusDemetirus New Brunswick, CanadaRegistered User regular
    SnowDog wrote: »
    The Omni is a great hotel; I've been there the past 3 years. If the weather permits, the walk is not too bad. I've done a mix of taking the shuttle and walking in the morning, depending on weather and the line for the shuttle. I always took the shuttles back because you're exhausted at the end of the day and don't care how long it takes, compared to the morning when you're itching to go and be there.

You also have Boston Common right nearby, with a variety of restaurants available for breakfast, dinner, drinks. I always arrive mid-afternoon on Thursday and I've really enjoyed having the area near the Omni Parker House to walk around and explore.

The rooms are fine and the hotel is nice. I've had zero complaints. The rooms are small, but I've done a single bed room with a cot and a double bed room both and had no troubles with two people in either. I can't comment on the restaurant or bar.

That said, I was able to get Seaport this year and jumped at the chance. Being that close is very convenient and makes Sunday less stressful in my (limited) experience.

I often wonder if being that close will lower the quality of sleep due to more parties etc. Let me know how it works out for you and thanks for your response! I'm really glad to hear about the Common as I was hoping to wander around a bit when I arrive Thursday afternoon. Might even keep an eye out for the Mystery Tour that I've seen mentioned elsewhere on the board.

I stayed there a few years ago for PAX. The hotel itself is fine, but I want to stress something about the hotels. Get whichever is closest and within your price range. All the ones through onpeak are very suitable, and your average time in the hotel room is very small. 1.5 miles is fine ,and there is a shuttle, just keep in mind that it's going to be March and very cold, so take that into account.

Hopefully my life in Atlantic Canada has prepared me well enough for Boston weather, but I'll be sure to bring the gamut of possible weather gear. If it's anything like what we get up here, I suspect I'll need everything from shorts and a t-shirt, rain slicks to a full winter compliment. Normally I'd have my winter tires off around the start of March, but I think this time, I'm going to wait until the end of March just for this trip. Thanks!

• rascrushrascrush Registered User regular

sent you a pm check it out when you get the chance

• melzwaymelzway Registered User regular
    I stayed at the Omni my first PAX. It was very nice but the rooms are small as it is a historic hotel. It was a very nice stay. There are rumors its haunted. I didn't experience anything directly but there was a weird rocking chair sound near the door every night around 2:00am. It's fairly easy to get around on foot just dress warm. A hoodie and hat should be enough.

I now stay at the Embassy Suites because they have free breakfast and it's a tad cheaper. It's easy to get into town from there as well.

• Bunta_FujiwaraBunta_Fujiwara Albany, NYRegistered User regular
    Hopefully my life in Atlantic Canada has prepared me well enough for Boston weather, but I'll be sure to bring the gamut of possible weather gear. If it's anything like what we get up here, I suspect I'll need everything from shorts and a t-shirt, rain slicks to a full winter compliment. Normally I'd have my winter tires off around the start of March, but I think this time, I'm going to wait until the end of March just for this trip. Thanks!

They do have coat check for like 2 bucks inside the convention center, which is also a plus!

zmYaVYP.png

I was at PAX after the major snow storm in Boston. I did well with a thick hoodie, hat and gloves.

melzway wrote: »

I was at PAX after the major snow storm in Boston. I did well with a thick hoodie, hat and gloves.

That was one crazy PAX trip. We barely made it out of Philly that day. I think our plane was the only one that actually flew out on schedule. Snow banks... snow banks everywhere.

P0P7S6y.png
    Solanales wrote: »

That was one crazy PAX trip. We barely made it out of Philly that day. I think our plane was the only one that actually flew out on schedule. Snow banks... snow banks everywhere.

Yeah I got a couple pictures of buried SUVs. It was a mess.

• jayh0vajayh0va Registered User regular
    Solanales wrote: »

This doesn't do it justice:
    95ocbetd89in.jpg

npyymaqh3gup.png
    Was that 2014 or 2015? Years all blend together for me now lol.

6pq9je4.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    That was 2015

• iltailta Registered User regular
    My friend who came by train that year was supposed to pull in around 9 but arrived at like 3AM because the front of the train had completely iced over. When he got out he said it looked like Snowpiercer or something.

• DominoDomino Keizen Mikazuki New York, NYRegistered User regular
    I must have missed that. I started to come in Friday morning and didn't think it was too bad in 2015. I recall that year well because my friend in Brooklyn had Jimmy Johns for the first time ever, and he thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. To this day, I'm not sure why.

tFh5HdJ.png
  • SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    2015 was the 1st time I made sure I was within walking distance to the Convention center due to the blizzard. Got the Seaport and am sticking to it ever since. I flew in from California, a decent parka or lined jacket is good enough to keep you warm, but don't forget to have a decent pair of boots to walk on snow or slippery pavement. The melted snow freezes in the morning walk. Also have something to cover your face, my body was not cold, but it hurt to breath the cold air... Yeah, I'm a wimp that always lived in warm weather :P

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
  • darksteelreaprdarksteelreapr Registered User regular
    2015 was my first PAX and that snow was very memorable. I even remember being the last plane out before the shut down the airport I flew out of. Fortunately for me I had the Westin that year. Last year and this year I got Seaport and I have to say I like it more than the Westin.

• ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    A bunch of rooms just opened at the Seaport Wed-Sun.

• RenegadeTKRenegadeTK Central MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Got a room at the Park Plaza. First time staying there.

• ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    There are rooms at the Westin Waterfront for Friday & Saturday...single, doubles, triples and quads!

Edit: and their gone.

ClannMorgan on
    edited November 2016
    I got the Saturday at Westin I needed. Good to go. I could use a Sunday as well, but totally not a requirement.

robirex on
    6pq9je4.png
  • NFGNFG NintendoFanGirl Registered User regular
    Totally bombed this year on the hotel front (again). Following thread in case anyone drops a room and feels like notifying the general public, since one Saturday room at the Element isn't quite going to cut it :,)

I've stayed at Westin, Seaport, and Residence Inn by Marriott (no longer part of pax block?) and all of them were totally fine, but Element took the cake with their kitchen and distance to the center.

S2ieAvx.png
  • SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular

The hotel has good service, but rooms are a little small (I think the building is old). The good thing about it, when I stayed there 3 years ago, is that it was the first stop for the bus line that serves 2-3 hotels in the general area, so it will not be full on the pick up in the morning. Not sure if bus lines change from year to year, though.

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
  • mayapplemayapple TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Ill keep watching.

e6txb8m8cavf.png

• craiolacraiola MARegistered User regular
    the stalking continues. It always seems I'm never around when those westin doubles open up. Either way I've always gotten what I've needed in the past.

DXLJjjr.png
  • mindflare77mindflare77 OhioRegistered User regular
    How do reservations through OnPeak work? Can they be cancelled? I'm bringing my girlfriend to her first PAX this year, but due to health issues* she needs a hotel fairly close to the BCEC. I'm hoping that I can get one of the big three (ideally the one that's connected to the BCEC) if a room opens... But should I reserve something at, say, the Langham (currently the closest available) in the meantime? Can I then cancel the Langham reservation if I get another one? I would assume so, but want to be sure.

*Is there someone to contact about medical needs, for PAX and/or housing?

8BFpSWC.png

PSN/Steam: mindflare77