As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bizarre wireless WiFi issues

EliminationElimination Registered User regular
edited October 2016 in Help / Advice Forum
So i've been having problems connecting and getting my full speed though wired. I solved this problem (found the bottleneck was a certain piece of networking hardware.) this forced me to go wireless to get my full (150mbs) speed. My laptop and phone both get acceptable speeds on the 5ghz band, I have it set to 40/80ghz and AC only. My laptop is snagging about 130-145 mbs no matter where I sit in my house with it.

Well, lets move on to my desktop...where the real issue is...

I had a cheaper wireless n/ac card in there, and the signal was quite weak, much weaker than my laptop on the 5ghz (2.4ghz is fine, but thats slow.) so I figured, hey, its probably that cheapo wireless card. So I went ahead and dropped $100 on a really fancy Asus one with a mountable antenna that you can reposition, it had a 5 star review on Amazon and glowing reviews across NCIX. It arrived today, and i tossed it in.

Signal is the same. Still garbage, 1-2 bars fluctuating, my laptop, across the room gets 4-5 (full) bars, no matter where it sits in the house, on the same band...and its not a special laptop, its a regular ol' Dell 7550 series, no fancy gaming laptop or anything, built in network card.

I even positioned the antenna for the desktop high up toward the cealing in the corner where the router would be sitting in the floor above, so there isnt much to go through. It doesnt seem to matter where its positioned, I get the same shitty signal as the old card, much worse than my laptop.

This doesn't make any sense to me, I have tried adjusting router settings, uninstalling and re-installing drivers and even re-seating the card to no avail...I even checked power options just in case.

I am literally at a loss here, hoping that reaching out onto the internet might net me some useful info because I just dont get it. With a network card this good and positions less than a meter from the router (though its the floor above.) it should not be having these problems.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
Elimination on

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Checking for the obvious here: if you move your laptop to where your desktop is it still gets a good signal? You mention that it gets a good signal across the room but that doesn't rule out that there could be something like HVAC ductwork between the router and where you're locating the antenna or faulty electrical wiring (sometimes a faulty ground) causing RF interference.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    Checking for the obvious here: if you move your laptop to where your desktop is it still gets a good signal? You mention that it gets a good signal across the room but that doesn't rule out that there could be something like HVAC ductwork between the router and where you're locating the antenna or faulty electrical wiring (sometimes a faulty ground) causing RF interference.

I tried this and it was the same. The Laptop signal was unchanged.

I had this kind of thing happen years and years ago in an old desktop, where it was ALWAYS showing a low signal strength, even siting right across from the router, and I remember it was fixed with a reformat (Probably some weird driver issue? I dunno.)

I do have an anomaly though now. I changed some setting on the router, changed it to 40/80hz mix, Wireless AC only, and changed the channel it was broadcasting on into some higher ones. Now my computer is getting great speeds (Sometimes over 150mbs.) but the signal is still real weak....this makes even less sense now. I am starting to feel like Windows just isn't reporting the signal correctly for the 5ghz band, since you'd think that having 1-2 bars would not give me full speeds like that.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/