As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My parents love me But act like they hate me sometimes

UndertaleFanUndertaleFan Registered User new member
(I'm picky, doj't know if its a disorder Just 30 minutes ao, We were eating. I said I'd try it,the only thing she gave me Was the food they like, I've been sick for 1 week, and are feeling better. I havedn't ate as much since it. they suggest new food, I try it, MOSTLY like it, eat a couple of it, Start feeling an after taste, hate it. Then they make me sit there for 30 minutes till they give up. I here them laughing at the TV, and if I say anything they get all pissed and chew me out. This has happened for 2 years. They claim they've babied me since I was 2, and Im 11. What will I do, they call me a 2 year old, I've had 2 abusive fathers and she still yells at me.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Parents are people, who make mistakes like anyone else. Yelling may suck but, it certainly doesn't mean they hate you. My parents yelled at me a whole bunch, but I would never have called that hate. Being a picky eater happens, and it sucks. I ate a lot of food I hated growing up. We either cleaned the plate, or went to bed hungry. It sucks but, ultimately it isn't your decision as an 11 year old, what to eat.

My advice is to just talk to them. Tell them what foods you like, and make sure you tell them which veggies and fruits you like. Just because they appear mean on the surface, doesn't make them wrong. I hated my parents at 11, so what you are experiencing is normal. If having to eat a dinner you don't like and parents yelling are the worst of things, you still have it pretty good. Try to be more receptive to new foods. Don't go in assuming it will be gross. Sometimes, the foods we like best aren't great for us. Sometimes, you eat something you don't like, as a way of showing thanks to your family members who do like them.

• Options
    UndertaleFanUndertaleFan Registered User new member
    Thanks for the advice, here's a little back story. "I got sick when i was 2, and didn't each barely anything else, then when i was over it, Foods tasted worse. The only thing I could stick to was.... Chicken and noodles. I started growing to more food, I eat 30 things now, may not be a lot, but at least it isn't Chocolate for dinner

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I was a very picky eater when I was your age. As I got older I started realizing that it was more the texture than taste for many things that I didn't like. Also, as you get older, your palette will change and you may find foods that you once found gross to be delicious.

My advice would be that you should at least try everything before saying you don't like it, and if you don't like it be polite about it, but say what, specifically, you don't like about it. Throwing a fit about food doesn't make anybody sympathetic to you.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
    Here are a list of things I used to be grossed out by when I was your age: broccoli, cauliflower, parsley, all sorts of seafood, etc. Now I love all those and actually with broccoli and cauliflower, I had never tasted them, it was the way they smell that grossed me out, not how they taste. So when I prepare those at home these days, I just keep the kitchen window open and use the ceiling fan.

Like Darkprimus, said, you cannot know what you like or don't like unless you try them. Does your 30 item things you can eat list include vegetables and fruits?

i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    To be fair to Undertalefan - just because you like things when you are older doesn't mean you would have liked them when you were Undertalefan's age. As DarkPrimus said, your sense of taste literally changes as you age. The funny thing is that kids actually taste more so an adult's refined pallete is often because there are flavors within the foods (particularly in 'bitter' foods) they used to hate that they actually no longer CAN taste.

There are also actual differences between different peoples ability to taste in general::
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supertaster

Theres also normal tasters (most people) and non-tasters (people that have a lessened sense of taste). Not all picky eaters are supertasters but it might be something worth investigating.

Regardless, its worth trying things at least once or twice every couple of years as you get older.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    At 11 you can start cooking food on your own - with your parent's knowledge (don't try this without their supervision, you will set fire to the kitchen.) They may be more open to you eating in a picky fashion if you cook for yourself rather than wasting what they cooked.

If you just sit there and say "No!" then they are going to be more frustrated than if you try and work with them to fix your problem.

As people above have noted, as you get older your tastebuds change, so you can stand more bitter and strong tasting foods than you can as a child. As you enter your teenage years you may notice that things you previously found disgusting are not so bad any more. So don't put something permanently off the menu because it was disgusting when you were 8.

If you really can't fix it through trying, you can ask your parents to explain the problem to your doctor. There are therapists who specialize in picky eating. It is a surprisingly common issue.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Sorry, at 12 years old you're too young to post here according to our rules

This discussion has been closed.