As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

D&D @ PAX 2016

solomanisolomani Sydney, AURegistered User regular
A thread for D&D Adventurers League game discussions at PAX 2016.

• MerricBMerricB Registered User regular
    G'day, folks!

There will certainly be Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition running at PAX Australia 2016! At present, we're organising who will be helping run the event. The adventures will, once again, be offerings from the D&D Adventurers League - in particular from the new season Storm King's Thunder.

Assuming I get the DMs I need (we're very close at present!) there will be eight tables of D&D games running concurrently thoughout PAX. That's double what we had last year.

Details on exactly which adventures we'll be running will be announced later.

However, we'll likely have a number of tables running 1 hour, 2 hour and 4 hour adventures like last time. There has been a bit of discussion as to whether there should be a character creation table, something I'm a little dubious about, but please let me know what you think.

Cheers,
    Merric Blackman
    D&D Adventurers League Regional Co-ordinator, APAC Region

Here's the full list of adventures we will be running:

DDAL05-01 Treasures of the Broken Hoard by Shawn Merwin.
    A famous relic hunter seeks adventurers to help her find caches of treasure hidden by the now-defeated followers of the Cult of the Dragon. Her maps and notes may lead the way to great wealth—or a terrible death. And do other parties have designs on the treasure as well?

Five one-hour adventures for 1st-2nd level characters.

DDAL05-02 The Black Road by Paige Leitman and Ben Heisler.
    Caravans are having a difficult time getting through to Parnast via the Black Road. Organized attacks by orcs and other monstrous humanoids working in concert with one another have folks baffled. Little do they know that an unusually intelligent hill giant, going by the name of Bad Fruul is to blame. SEER has sent her emissary HSING, to task your group to accompany a caravan with a very special cargo destined for the Shrine of Axes in Parnast, and to figure out who is responsible.

A two-hour adventure for 1st-4th level characters.

DDAL05-03 Uninvited Guests by Robert Alaniz.
    The Shrine of the Axes has been restored and Raggnar Redtooth, who previously conspired with dragon cultists, is trying to restore his reputation in Parnast by sponsoring a feast. There is just one thing he needs, meat for his feast. Game is supposed to be plentiful in the Weathercoate Wood, but the townsfolk are all busy with their own work, and the minions of Bad Fruul are still out there causing trouble. What can go wrong on a simple hunt?

A two-hour adventure for 1st-4th level characters. General Release: October, 2016.

DDAL05-04 In Dire Need by Jay Africa.
    An expedition of dwarf warriors from Citadel Adbar finds itself isolated and besieged by Ice Spire ogres and their allies. They require immediate relief or they risk being destroyed to a dwarf. SEER has directed you to their location in the hopes that you can rescue the dwarves and save their precious cargo, a tablet bearing secrets of ancient rune magic.

A two-hour adventure for 5th-10th level characters.

DDAL05-05 A Dish Best Served Cold by James Introcaso.
    Among the Story of Stagwick, giants are a recurring theme, but a long-standing peace with giant-kind is now threatened as a patrol of Blood Riders spark a feud with a local tribe of giants. With word of strange activity coming from the Ice Spires, Good King Hartwick can’t be too careful. Can you quench the giants’s thirst for revenge?

A two-hour adventure for 5th-10th level characters.

DDAL05-06 Beneath the Fetid Chelimber by Ron Lundeen.
    The ruined wizard tower in the Marsh of Chelimber may hold a clue to defeating the super-intelligent hill giant, Bad Fruul, and prevent him troubling the town of Parnast. To find the tower, adventurers must overcome the watery magic of the fetid marsh and discover or clear a route to the ruins of a previously lost tower.

DDAL05-07 Chelimber’s Descent by Ron Lundeen.
    Deep in the Marsh of Chelimber lie the ruins of a great wizard’s tower. SEER has received intelligence, which she imparts via her emissary HSING, that deep beneath the tower’s ruins lie an old magic known as rune magic. This could be just what Parnast needs to resist the onslaught of Bad Fruul and his armies!

• solomanisolomani Sydney, AURegistered User regular
    Excellent! Sign me and my two eldest up! I dont think there is a need for a character creation table. Just use pregens. If someone is really keen they will make the time to create a character.

• talislantalislan Registered User new member
    I will probably be there and am happy to DM a table

• vonhistvonhist Mr Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    One request: Please make the sign up area really obvious. Thanks.

Hi Merric,
    Can you ask WoTC about having a pinny arcade pin at pax aus. Would be a good way to get people to play who otherwise would not. Has worked really well for MagicTG.

• oddieoddie Registered User new member
    Hi All,
    Never played before... Is there a beginners table? game? and these only an hour long adventures? That's and awesome idea. What would be cool if there was a Magic the gathering style PAX setup, you know like starter packs to run through for beginners... unless this is what this is?

As a complete beginner can I join and character sheets i guess are created because im not sure how to create them from nothing as yet.

I just picked up the starter pack for 5e and been ready through it, so I have an idea of what it is like.

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    oddie wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Never played before... Is there a beginners table? game? and these only an hour long adventures? That's and awesome idea. What would be cool if there was a Magic the gathering style PAX setup, you know like starter packs to run through for beginners... unless this is what this is?

As a complete beginner can I join and character sheets i guess are created because im not sure how to create them from nothing as yet.

I just picked up the starter pack for 5e and been ready through it, so I have an idea of what it is like.

Any of the one or two hour adventures should be fairly new-player friendly. Guaranteed at least some of the other players will be veterans, and if they're the kind who are willing to play in convention games, they're almost always happy to help out new players. And then the actual DMs at these events have always been super friendly and helpful.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • oddieoddie Registered User new member
    Well count me in I guess. When i get there I'll look for the tables.

• khendarkhendar Registered User new member
    I'm playing my first D&D AL game tomorrow at ConCentric and am keen to get in on the D&D tables at PAX, particularly the 1st tier adventures.

• PhilbykPhilbyk Registered User new member
    hey ya, Friends and i are meeting up at PAX for the first time, we have been playing D&D via the web together for the last 10 years or so. it would be awesome to play together on a real table, how do we organize booking a session?

We'll have a sign-up sheet at the event; we should be running enough games that for most sessions you can rock up and play.

I'm just working out the details of exactly when each adventure will run!

• PhoenixOLionPhoenixOLion Registered User regular
    Will the event be rookie friendly? I've got a few friends who have started playing and I'd love to be taught by people who understand whats happening (And have a smidge of patience)

The one who forgot to bring the Vegemite Chocolate PAXAus16 -.-'
    yes it will

• MrEndruMrEndru Registered User new member
    I'm so looking forward to this! Any way we can do pre-registration instead of paper on the day?

• UseR2006UseR2006 MelbourneRegistered User regular
    Also a First time player, I didn't get to play any DnD last year and that was a bummer. Would love to spend more time down at the tables and meet some new people :)

"I know you've been online.... There are lots of people that don't have that voice, that makes them ask themselves if what they make is shit or not." [img][/img]WJnjIS1.png
    steam_sig.png

• pirate-jesuspirate-jesus Registered User new member
    Hi guys,
    I was looking to run a few sessions at PAX as well and was wondering if anyone at the forums could offer advice about setting that up. From previous PAXes I'm aware that there are a bunch of tables set aside for various forms of gaming. But if I want to set up a sign up sheet or something, is it as simple as rocking up and giving one to the Enforcers or do I need to set it up in advance?

• ninnanuamninnanuam Registered User regular
    Me and a friend are interested in picking up a game. He would be a total newb and I have no experience with 5th.
    I do have the book however, could we make characters before? of will characters be handed out?

• Ap0ll090Ap0ll090 Mr Victoria AustrliaRegistered User new member
    Again just wondering if I need to premake characters or do it on the day? and if I can premake , if there are any restrictions / requirements thanks

They will have pregenerated characters available.

You can make characters beforehand using the guidelines in the D&D Adventurers League Player's Guide; we will also have pregenerated characters available.

D&D Adventurers League Player's Guide:
    http://www.dmsguild.com/product/190680/Storm-Kings-Thunder-Adventurers-League-Players-Guide-5e

Cheers!

Table times:
    DDAL5-01 Treasures of the Broken Hoard (levels 1-2, 1 hour): Sessions run every hour from 11 am-10 pm on Friday & Saturday and from 11 am-4 pm on Sunday (last session ends 1 hour later)
    DDAL5-02 The Black Road (levels 1-4, 2 hours): Friday 11 am, 5 pm, 8 pm; Saturday 11 am, 5 pm, 8 pm; Sunday 11 am.
    DDAL5-03 Uninvited Guests (levels 1-4, 2 hours): Friday 2 pm, 8 pm; Saturday 2 pm, 8 pm; Sunday 2 pm.
    DDAL5-06 Beneath the Fetid Chelimber (levels 1-4, 2 hours): Friday 11 am, 5 pm, 8 pm; Saturday 11 am, 5 pm, 8 pm; Sunday 11 am.
    DDAL5-07 Chelimber's Descent (levels 1-4, 2 hours): Friday 2 pm, 8 pm; Saturday 2 pm, 8 pm; Sunday 2 pm.

The following two adventures are for levels 5-10, and require a player to already have a character at those levels through regular D&D Adventurers League play
    DDAL5-04 A Dire Need (levels 5-10, 2 hours): Friday 11 am, 5 pm; Saturday 11 am, 5 pm; Sunday 11 am.
    DDAL5-05 A Dish Best Served Cold (levels 5-10, 2 hours): Friday 2 pm, 8 pm; Saturday 2 pm, 8 pm; Sunday 2 pm.

Feel free to contact me at merricb@yahoo.co.uk with any further questions.

Cheers,
    Merric

The plan is that we'll have five tables running of DDAL5-01 from 11am - 8 pm each day, with one table each of other adventures (see list above).
    From 8pm-11pm, we'll run five tables of the other adventures, and three of DDAL5-01, but we may run other games on request in that slot instead of the intro adventure, depending on numbers.

Cheers,
    Merric

Just the single 1 hour game, is it one of the 5 parters, each lasting an hour?

I think the answer to your question is "yes".

DDAL5-01 Treasures of the Broken Hoard contains 5 missions, each takes about an hour to play. (Well, less, but that's the idea).

Table #1 will be running mission 1.
    Table #2 will be running mission 2.
    Table #3 will be running mission 3.
    etc.

So, to play all five parts of Treasures, just play on each table running it.

Cheers,
    Merric

cool, thanks for prompt response.

• SoylentDaveageSoylentDaveage Registered User new member
    Quick question re: the Treasures adventure - Will we be able/required to take characters from part one to part two, or will it be fresh sheets for each hour? And will it be problematic if we wish to step out and do something else between each part of the adventure? I'm keen to get on to some D&D with my son but I don't know that he'll last 5 hours straight...

You can (and should) keep the same sheets, but new ones can be provided if necessary. You don't have to play straight through (part of the joy of it is that the parts can be taken in any order).

Cheers,
    Merric

• MrEndruMrEndru Registered User new member
    Regarding DDAL5-04 and 05, is it possible to play enough to get a character to level 5 with the lower level games?

It's going to be close. You only need to get to level 4 - you can then go directly to level 5.

I will probably run a couple of bonus scenarios if people are only a couple of hundred XP off the higher levels.

Cheers,
    Merric

• PDP11PDP11 Registered User regular
    Hi guys,
    I was looking to run a few sessions at PAX as well and was wondering if anyone at the forums could offer advice about setting that up. From previous PAXes I'm aware that there are a bunch of tables set aside for various forms of gaming. But if I want to set up a sign up sheet or something, is it as simple as rocking up and giving one to the Enforcers or do I need to set it up in advance?

Was there an answer for this question?

• VanillariotVanillariot Registered User new member
    I've been wanting to get into D&D for a while but never had a chance. would this be an ok environment for a complete beginner or not really?

• melissainaumelissainau PAX Aus Tabletop Manager Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    @pirate-jesus @PDP11 if you want to formally run RPG sessions, you need to let us know well in advance so we can timetable them in. @delwyn is the person to speak to.
    If you want to work within an organised group, @MerricB is the person to speak to about D&D Adventurers' League.
    If you just want to show up and try to pick up players, or line up a group on the forums here, go for it!

• melissainaumelissainau PAX Aus Tabletop Manager Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    @Vanillariot this is the perfect place for you!

• pirate-jesuspirate-jesus Registered User new member
    @melissainau Great, thanks so much for the answer. I'll keep it in mind for next year too.
    I will be running a game, The Real Housewives of Greyhawk. If anyone is interested please PM me or respond on the thread. I should also have sign up sheets for people to sign up there.

I've been wanting to get into D&D for a while but never had a chance. would this be an ok environment for a complete beginner or not really?

We specifically aim a lot of the games at the complete beginner! So, yes - definitely!

We provide everything, so you just need to rock up and play. :)

Cheers,
    Merric Blackman
    D&D Adventurers League Regional Co-ordinator, Asia-Pacific
    merricb@yahoo.co.uk

Is anyone interested in trading pinny arcade pins for dnd miniatures. I have a pile of minis I no longer use.

• UseR2006UseR2006 MelbourneRegistered User regular
    Who do I come and see about learning some dnd

"I know you've been online.... There are lots of people that don't have that voice, that makes them ask themselves if what they make is shit or not." [img][/img]WJnjIS1.png
    steam_sig.png

Big thanks to Merric and all the GMs. Great job organising and GMing over the 3 days.

Thank you! It was a great event!