As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Assassin's Creed] To fight the horde, sing and cry

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Im not sure if I want ancient egypt or Roman era Cleopatra egypt. Maybe both?

All of the eras, from before the two kingdoms got unified to the Suez Crisis, one generation at a time

And instead of levelling up, you choose who to have kids with, and that influences the characteristics of the next guy you play and hmm, maybe a bit too eugenics-y?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Im not sure if I want ancient egypt or Roman era Cleopatra egypt. Maybe both?

All of the eras, from before the two kingdoms got unified to the Suez Crisis, one generation at a time

And instead of levelling up, you choose who to have kids with, and that influences the characteristics of the next guy you play and hmm, maybe a bit too eugenics-y?

I've played that game. It came from Japan.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I snapped and picked up the Syndicate Gold bundle. Maybe $10-$20 more than I should have, but eh, fuck it.

But it's actually pretty great so far. I mean, I didn't hate Unity all that much, but oh man is it nice to open the map and not see that it looks like a hoarder's asshole exploded.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Finally playing AssFlag

Wow, you can tell where the game was designed to encourage you to buy those booster packs, and that's the Single Player.

Other than that it's fun!

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I peaced out after AC3. Connor wasn't bad, but I was mostly invested in Desmond's story. When it was clear this was going to be a franchise zombie with no thought to the future, I realized I'd rather keep my memories of the first few games intact. I think AC3 gets a lot of unfair flak because it a lot of the mechanics were great and really were next gen. It's just hidden behind a clunky interface.

ACIII suffers from, among everything else, poor mission design that fails to make use of its mechanics.

You should play Black Flag. The mission design actually encourages use of all those mechanics. It's also a better sendoff to Desmond than ACIII managed.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    AssFlag sequence 8/9:
    So you get mutinied and marooned, and then after fighting the crazy guy you see a ship and you can escape and then...everything's fine? I kind of thought there'd be a memory showing how you get your ship back.

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    In parallel with Hitman, I felt like a different game of assassinations, so I finally started playing AC Rogue. Graphically, it's very much a step back after Unity and Syndicate, and as with AC3 and Black Flag I miss the big city feel and architecture that first got me into the series, but at the same time I like how the game feels like a mix of the two aforementioned games, substituting the Caribbean feel of Black Flag for a more frontier atmosphere, it's interesting to see how the game points towards Syndicate in some ways, and I enjoy playing a Templar for once. As a smaller slice of AC, it's pretty good.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I snapped and picked up the Syndicate Gold bundle. Maybe $10-$20 more than I should have, but eh, fuck it.

But it's actually pretty great so far. I mean, I didn't hate Unity all that much, but oh man is it nice to open the map and not see that it looks like a hoarder's asshole exploded.

Fuck that's my favorite part of the game; running around and collecting everything. Looks like Syndicate is gonna suck. Did they at least make the cut scenes skipable?

Magic Pink wrote: »

Fuck that's my favorite part of the game; running around and collecting everything. Looks like Syndicate is gonna suck. Did they at least make the cut scenes skipable?

There are still plenty of things to collect in Syndicate. :)

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

There are still plenty of things to collect in Syndicate. :)

yeah but that screen needs to be dense as fuck with icons and I will be all a'squee

a geographic map indicating places where a person attempted to breathe at some point in history dense.

• JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    I really like collectathons, as long as the individual collectibles are interesting. Glitch up in midair I have to figure out how to parkour to? Interesting. Drawing on the wall? Not interesting. I'd much rather have a hundred collectibles that take some effort to get than a thousand that take none. The best in the series have been the riddles in Unity. I also miss the awesome glyph puzzles from II.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    This though:

v9ntibbpygmfd0mnmqkq_zps8ejv6w2d.jpg

Fuck off, you can't even see the terrain underneath! I couldn't even find story missions in that mess sometimes.

That said, I've been fiddling around with Syndicate's map, and I think they just resolved the problem with a little visual cheating. The total collectibles in an area seems like it's the same. But when you zoom the map out, they don't show up. So maybe the density is still the same. It just feels better though.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I would describe syndicate as fundamentally the same kind of game as always, just with WAY more responsive controls. Combat especially is a delight. Also just lots of little things work in its favour, the city feels bigger because of the broader streets, the carriages are fun and so is the grappling hook. It's all very familiar but extremely polished and more responsive

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I played an AC for the first time in three years maybe.

Combat in this feels awkward to control compared to Baymang or Shadow of Mordor. Syndicate does not share the same ease of flow of animation as those titles either, and trying to switch targets between more than one enemy shows it. While in the Arkham Games/SoM allows for smooth transitions, Syndicate makes it feel untenable. The fight animations also have lost the weight that AC2 gave them, where there you had a little bit of push back, now the fights mainly keep you and the enemy in the same position. I think getting rid of ACII/I's 1 hit kill counter and ACB's kill streak thing actually brought down the combat.

Kadoken on
  • PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular
    I just finished the Unity main plot and got started on the Dead Kings DLC.

I... liked it a lot? It seems like everyone was negative about Unity, and now I'm a bit surprised like that. I've always been biased towards the AC games that take place in big historical cities though. They're beautiful, and Unity gets bonus points for not posting a guard on every rooftop, letting me enjoy my parkour.

Combat feels like a step back, but becoming a millionaire and buying all the best gear fixed that quickly. I liked the assassination main missions, with optional distraction/infiltration opportunities to explore.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Finally playing Black Flag. I couldn't really get into ACII, but good lord, this be some piratey goodness, me Trumps. Collectable shanties? Yes please.

Quick question -- do the collectable fragments actually do anything?

Also, is there really anything to do outside the Animus? (I'm currently in the northeastern area of Cuba.) Don't get me wrong, if the plot of the game pretty much stays at "how much fun can you have being a pirate?" I'd be perfectly happy. (I Wiki'd the plot of the previous Assassin Creeds.... yikes.)

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    I... liked it a lot? It seems like everyone was negative about Unity, and now I'm a bit surprised like that. I've always been biased towards the AC games that take place in big historical cities though. They're beautiful, and Unity gets bonus points for not posting a guard on every rooftop, letting me enjoy my parkour.
    Same here. It's been a while now since I played the game, but I'm planning to get back to it (now that I've got a Geforce 1080) to mop up the more narrative side missions like the Murder Mysteries and just soak up the Paris atmosphere. The lack of big city atmosphere is the main reason why I liked Assassin's Creed 3 less and why I didn't enjoy Black Flag quite as much as many others.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Same here. It's been a while now since I played the game, but I'm planning to get back to it (now that I've got a Geforce 1080) to mop up the more narrative side missions like the Murder Mysteries and just soak up the Paris atmosphere. The lack of big city atmosphere is the main reason why I liked Assassin's Creed 3 less and why I didn't enjoy Black Flag quite as much as many others.

I mean, I loved Black Flag, I had a blast with it.

But I wasn't amazed with the game like I was when I was exploring beautiful, living, breathing cities like Rome, Constantinople or Paris. Those AC's are just marvels of gaming to me.

cloudeagle wrote: »
    Finally playing Black Flag. I couldn't really get into ACII, but good lord, this be some piratey goodness, me Trumps. Collectable shanties? Yes please.

Quick question -- do the collectable fragments actually do anything?

Also, is there really anything to do outside the Animus? (I'm currently in the northeastern area of Cuba.) Don't get me wrong, if the plot of the game pretty much stays at "how much fun can you have being a pirate?" I'd be perfectly happy. (I Wiki'd the plot of the previous Assassin Creeds.... yikes.)

I don't really remember what the fragments did... unlocking cheats? They're really just there for completionism.

There's not much to do outside of the Animus besides hacking into your coworkers' computers for some metaplot information. The main plot will take you outside of the Animus every now and then, and there's really not much point to sticking around after you can get back into the Animus again.

Both Black Flag and Rogue had large, beautiful worlds that just needed bit more life to them. I loved exploring, but there needed to be more of a human element.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    Both Black Flag and Rogue had large, beautiful worlds that just needed bit more life to them. I loved exploring, but there needed to be more of a human element.

I wholly disagree with this honestly

I loved finding so many little islands that were just completely devoid of human life

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I still really think I would have been totally fine with Ubisoft figuring out a way to spin off Black Flag into its own thing.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Honestly, Black Flag feels pretty close to a spinoff already. Very little Animus stuff, a main character that doesn't really give a shit about the Templar/Assassins thing and is only in it for the gold, etc.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »

I hated Unity at first because I'd been away from the series for a while, and couldn't figure out how to earn any money. Thus, no upgrades or better gear (and I sure as hell wasn't about to pay IRL money for it, they should be ashamed that's even an option).

Once I figured out the Cafe Theatre makes money on an exponential scale after just a few missions and I could actually buy some decent equipment, and not get smacked around by any guards outside the city isle, it became a much easier and much more interesting game. The city is fantastic and lots of fun to explore. It's got some bad habits typical for the dev (I will never understand why Ubisoft games are so wedded to making you do a bunch of obnoxious busywork to unlock the map, a basic game function), but it's also a perfectly serviceable adventure story set in a place and a period that gets almost no attention in the gaming world. Wish I'd stuck with it earlier.

Same deal with Syndicate. Once I figured out I could earn a lot more money and experience by doing the fight club missions than waiting on the train chest or pilfering treasure chests, it was fantastic. So much love and attention to that grimy Victorian coal-dust atmosphere, although I wish the nights were a little darker, and there was some opportunity to get out of the city of London itself.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    The Ezio collection comes out on the 15, remastered versions of AC2, Brotherhood and Revelations. If I didn't already have AC2 on BC I would be tempted for AssBro alone. Hopefully it'll be like Dead Rising collection and allow for buying single games for $20.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Looks like there's no online for the later games, which is a shame because I loved AssBro's online mode

The multiplayer was absolutely fantastic. I played hundreds of hours of it across the games. AssRev's was my favorite.

I wish it was released in some stand-alone, free-to-play format so more people could experience it.

It was sooo good.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I'm pretty happy about no multiplayer

Makes getting those Platinum trophies much easier

edited November 2016
    Oh god... I thought this kind of thing only happened in France.

r1rknJL.png

Apparently the no face bug can happen in Syndicate, too.

Arteen on
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    So I haven't played Revalations, Liberation, Rouge, Unity or Syndicate.

I will play Syndicate, but what about the other 4? Worth it?

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Rogue is good, Liberation and Revelations are both just okay, Unity is terrible.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular

Skip Revelations (unless you really really like Altair), maybe play Liberation (it's relatively short and the main character is good), play Rogue if you loved Black Flag and want more of the ship combat, skiiiiip Unity unless you bought it already and even then only play enough to see the spectacle of Paris (it was slightly better than people gave it credit for and it is pretty), play Syndicate.

I consider Unity's Paris the most beautiful creation of the entire series. If one of the things you enjoy about Assassin's Creed is virtual tourism, it's worth getting. Then again, if you were much of a virtual tourist, you would already have all of these.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I liked Syndicate's London more than Unity's Paris, but Paris is real good and worth jumping in and running around for a bit if you already own it.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    I liked Syndicate's London more than Unity's Paris, but Paris is real good and worth jumping in and running around for a bit if you already own it.
    Syndicate is grimy due to the Industrial Revolution, so I prefer the tourism and crowds of Unity, but Syndicate is a much better game.

There would be times while running around London where I would stop and go "Holy shit, this actually feels like I'm in real-life London". I never got that in Unity.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    The technical doodads in Unity were actually better than Syndicate for some reason. Especially the textures, which were jaw droppingly good.

steam_sig.png
  • soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Unity post-patch was incredible. stealth element and combat was hard again. Loved it to death. Once they patched out some of the more obnoxious online stuff it was great. Plus Paris really was gorgeous. The armor fashion was fun too. Just my pro-unity vote. Once they patched the launch glitches it was fun.

I played through Rogue first, so all the patches were out by the time I made it to Unity. I didn't love it but it was alright. Paris was beautiful and fun to explore.

Storywise Unity is a complete waste of time, unfortunately.

I liked many of Unity's characters - but all in all, I find the overall stories of most Assassin's Creed games forgettable. What I remember are individual moments.

Also, it seems that AC: Freedom Cry will be one of the PS+ games in August. Curious to check that one out - and play AC on the big screen for the first time.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    Freedom Cry is both problematic and worth playing. An interesting attempt to tackle slavery in a socially responsible way in a video game. Not entirely successful, but has some scenes with major impact.