As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Will this be fine for a lightweight setup?

1x71x7 Registered User new member
edited October 2016 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi everyone,

this is my first post on this forum, sorry if I get anything wrong. I think I already know the answer to this, but how would this setup serve for a small selfhost server, while hosting things such as Trunk, Flox, Koel etc. It is only for local use
the build is as follows:
- GB 78LMT-S2P motherboard
- FX 4100
- 1GB ram
- 200W psu

I'm using these parts as they are left over from some old computers I already have (minus the psu)

I know the answer is almost certainly no, but for it to be suitable, what do I need to improve?
Thank you very much!

1x7 on

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    what operating system and what's your expected load (<5 users?)

ram is your first bottleneck, that CPU is okay, but might not handle more than 5 people

of course changing the CPU will change the motherboard most likely

After that it'll probably be ISP based on if you can support more than 5 users, if they're not LAN.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • 1x71x7 Registered User new member
    edited October 2016
    It will be maximum 5 users I'd imagine. Most users will be via LAN. I'm not sure which operating system, whichever is the most light weight.

Thanks so much for yoyr response!

1x7 on
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    You're definitely going to want a lot more than 1gb of ram. That hasn't been sufficient for anything for more than 10 years.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/