As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Gotham] Gotham's brain is a bag full of cats

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Why are they giving away the ending so quickly with Joker Jerome coming back? This should be teasing up his cult, not telling us how the plot ends.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Why are they giving away the ending so quickly with Joker Jerome coming back? This should be teasing up his cult, not telling us how the plot ends.

Embracing their train-wreck appeal? Less cynically, some people might be more inclined to watch of they're bringing him back. I was going to tube-in anyway, but I wanted to rage quit when they dropped him and implied they were just going to reduce him to a wave of copy cats. Jerome had the makings of a good joker.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    The kid who played Jerome was actually really good and I would have been ok if he was a psychopath kid that eventually becomes the Joker. He played Jerome well enough that he sold me on that possibility.

But then they did what they did and ruined it. I'm not convinced that they had this plan the whole time. I'm of the opinion that they are bringing him back because of the negative reaction that happened when they killed him and made Joker a copy cat villain.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'd be absolutely stunned if it turned out that they plan anything out more than half a season ahead.
    Maybe a full season, but I doubt it.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular

Well they're shit at everything else with this show, why not this, too?

• Options
    I assume they're taking cues from how comics work, where a character dying/suffering from amnesia/recovering from amnesia/being replaced by someone else/turning out to have been evil all along isn't just spoiled, but actually officially announced weeks before the comic showing it is released.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    More why not?
    Gordon works in a monster-ridden Gotham as a bounty hunter and seeks to find answers about the Indian Hill escapees, and why their powers appear to be killing them. Meanwhile, Bruce’s doppelganger roams the streets, and Barbara and Tabitha open a new nightclub called The Sirens in the all-new “Mad City: Better to Reign in Hell…” season premiere episode of GOTHAM.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    More why not?
    Gordon works in a monster-ridden Gotham as a bounty hunter and seeks to find answers about the Indian Hill escapees, and why their powers appear to be killing them. Meanwhile, Bruce's doppelganger roams the streets, and Barbara and Tabitha open a new nightclub called The Sirens in the all-new “Mad City: Better to Reign in Hell…” season premiere episode of GOTHAM.

Ben Mckenzie playing an even more exaggerated version of his own already extra hard boiled character makes me laugh in a good way.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    More why not?
    Gordon works in a monster-ridden Gotham as a bounty hunter and seeks to find answers about the Indian Hill escapees, and why their powers appear to be killing them. Meanwhile, Bruce's doppelganger roams the streets, and Barbara and Tabitha open a new nightclub called The Sirens in the all-new “Mad City: Better to Reign in Hell…” season premiere episode of GOTHAM.

Ben Mckenzie playing an even more exaggerated version of his own already extra hard boiled character makes me laugh in a good way.

Would anybody be able to tell the difference?

• Options
    More why not?

Would anybody be able to tell the difference?

Good question! The key is it looks like he's actually having fun when he's Clayface. That is how he'll get caught.

• Options
    It would be so easy to have a real Batman right now.
    Make the aging guy touch Bruce and you have a twenty-something Bruce. Do a "one year later" and then you can have Batman: Year One or just show Bruce start to train with the League of Assassins during this season.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Make the aging guy touch Bruce and you have a twenty-something Bruce. Do a "one year later" and then you can have Batman: Year One or just show Bruce start to train with the League of Assassins during this season.

Why not just have the same thing that happened to Ivy happen to Bruce? That makes it 100% okay to have fully adult storylines happen to 15-year-olds.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

Their saving that for the season finale :cool:

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    From the Gotham Producer Ken Woodruff on why Ivy gets an age bump.
    We made the change for two reasons: The character Ivy in the comics, one of her greatest powers is the power of seduction. Everyone was much more comfortable with that with an older actress as opposed to a teenager. We want to explore that classic, canonical power of Ivy. And we didn’t just make her older with that attack. When she’s changed and transformed, there’s a real character change as well. She’ll still have some of the same traits, but she’ll be much darker, more manipulative than the Ivy we’ve seen so far. There’s a more evil quality to her as well. It’s more than just physical.

So they wanted a sexy, seductive Ivy now because they are following along with canon. Got it.

• Options
    Her plant controlling powers will be along any year now, I'm sure.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Cool, about time Gotham got a dark, manipulative, evil woman character

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    We made the change for two reasons: The character Ivy in the comics, one of her greatest powers is the power of seduction. Everyone was much more comfortable with that with an older actress as opposed to a teenager. We want to explore that classic, canonical power of Ivy. And we didn’t just make her older with that attack. When she’s changed and transformed, there’s a real character change as well. She’ll still have some of the same traits, but she’ll be much darker, more manipulative than the Ivy we’ve seen so far. There’s a more evil quality to her as well. It’s more than just physical.

So they wanted a sexy, seductive Ivy now because they are following along with canon. Got it.

The part they're leaving out is that she still has the mind of a 14 year old girl - because that's totally what happens in the comics, you guys.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

The part they're leaving out is that she still has the mind of a 14 year old girl - because that's totally what happens in the comics, you guys.

Pretty soon we're going to have to close this thread due to the No Anime rule

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Gotham needed more boobs I guess?

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Gotham needed more boobs I guess?

And I thought they were all boobs.

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    if the show runners wanted an Ivy they could lust after, THEN MAYBE THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE CAST A FUCKING CHILD IN THE PART!!!! they could have done anything! make her a high school grad/uni student with an interest in botany(or already studying it). have her get involved in some shady shit to pay for it. hell, you could even keep the 'her dad is a crook and gets killed' part to up the hardship. that lets you set up who she'll become and bring her into all the weird and wacky gotham crime shit.

or, and bare with me on this one, if you're realising that you've made a mistake in casting a kid write her out and replace her with the actual Pamela Isley! you can even still use the stuff above! of the many options that were open to the writers, 'lets age up the weird kid and make her sexy' shouldn't have been anywhere near the top never mind the actual direction you go in.

and yet i'm still watching the show for some reason. part of the fucking problem. :(

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    I can't believe it took them three seasons to get out the "penguins eat fish" line.

I'm calling it now; long-haired Lil' Bruce is the real one. The one with Alfred is the clone.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    At this stage I might see it just to see how bad it gets. Adam West's show didn't get this ridiculous, and it makes Smallville look high quality.

http://tvline.com/2016/09/23/gotham-season-3-new-ivy-maggie-geha/
    Thanks to an unexpected blast of Marv’s Miracle-Gro touch, Gotham‘s Ivy Pepper will have grown like a weed when next we see her in Monday’s episode (Fox, 8/7c).

And the changes to the street rat aren’t merely physical. “She’s obviously aged physically, but she’s also changed on the inside,” says Maggie Geha, who has taken over the role from Clare Foley. Having blossomed into a young woman, “She definitely has a new confidence to her. The transformation brings out a bit of her manipulative side — and some evil.”

Not that Ivy quite understands what has happened to her, after getting briefly grabbed by Fish’s enhanced henchman and then tumbling into a water main.
    “Mentally, she’s foggy. She’s confused by what happened to her, and she doesn’t recognize her own face,” says Geha. “I think she wonders if it’s all a dream, but then again she doesn’t care. She’s like, ‘OK, wow, now I’m a woman — and I love it!'”

One thing Ivy doesn’t love, however, is her longtime gal pal Selina, whom she believes left her to be dispatched with by Fish’s goons. “Ivy is not aware that Selina chased after her and tried to help, so she feels very much that she was on her own during that horrible experience, and Selina didn’t come to her aid. So when Ivy wakes up, she’s pissed. Her only friend in the entire world abandoned her — in her eyes.”

And yet Selina will feel equally betrayed by her formerly little friend. As Camren Bicondova explains, “Selina thought Ivy died, and that it was her fault, so for her to come back to life and not tell her what happened… that’s a whole thing! It’s a very tense relationship at first.”

As for Miss Pepper eventually gravitating toward her destiny as the villainess Poison Ivy, Geha says some seeds will be planted.
    “The new Ivy doesn’t like anybody. She sees people as a plague on the Earth,” the actress explains. “But she loves plants. It’s like when you’re in an airplane and you feel a bit claustrophobic because the air isn’t good quality — Ivy needs plants to feel normal, to ‘breathe.’ Humans, though, she sees as just wastes of space.”

That doesn't make any sense.

I see they finally decided to remember, oh yeah she's a super-villain who cares about plants. Like it's something they slapped in at the last minute.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    That doesn't make any sense.

Gotham in a nutshell.

kyrcl.png
  • Options

As the Honest Trailer announcer would say, "Bewbs!"

• Options
    Watched this morning. Glad that Gordon is pure amoral anti-hero now. Fish's interaction with Penguin is super creepy and gross. Ivy is so ham-fisted in explaining that she is super-grown-up now ON THE INSIDE, TOO. Riiiiiggght. Yes. Not a 14-year old at all anymore, for sure. Legally.

• Options
    "Legally" being the key term here.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    On a rare, positive note for Gotham...
    Carmine Falcone!

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Best episode I've seen since... Red Hood maybe?

Like, the interpersonal stuff with Gordon was a miss, but everything else was almost good. I even had the thought that I'd probably like this same exact show more if the DCU stuff had the serial numbers filed off.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Mego Thor wrote: »

The legal world isn't ready for 14 year olds being transformed into adult women by monsters yet.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »

The legal world isn't ready for 14 year olds being transformed into adult women by monsters yet.

I believe the legal world calls that "statutory rape."

• Options
    Here she is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XB1b06ygd8

Maggie Geha-chan

• Options
    At least Zsasz showed up in this episode...

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    So Gotham miiiiiiiight be making Penguin and Riddler a couple.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/if-gotham-doesnt-make-penguin-and-nygma-an-actual-coupl-1787924437

If they do, that would probably be the best thing this show has ever done.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    So Gotham miiiiiiiight be making Penguin and Riddler a couple.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/if-gotham-doesnt-make-penguin-and-nygma-an-actual-coupl-1787924437

If they do, that would probably be the best thing this show has ever done.

They definitely have chemistry and I can't wait for it to happen.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I'd rather see them as awesome bros. There's no shortage of couples on Gotham, but few real friendships.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    They are definitely doing that. Their last scene was dripping with romantic tension.

Like, Jesus Harvey Milk on a stick.

• Options
    The number of episodes until Penguin
    kills off Kringle 2.0? I'm going 3.