As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cry Havok and let loose the dogs of the [Military Thread]

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    @Priest Given that you've known him for so long, and he wasn't talking this way before the army, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt for now. He deals with military cadences about killing, training about killing, and news about killing all the time. Anyone living like that would probably sound a little callous about it. It could be that he's just bringing his work home. It's also possible he's regurgitating some of the speeches leaders like to give after they've seen too many war movies. That he's going to to war might not have fully sunken in. It didn't fully hit me until my first time outside the wire.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    Waffen that sucks but it sounds like you just landed in a shitty unit. Is this the same guy that was going to screw you over on your OERs?

Hes been gone for a while now. He was relieved from Command and pushed out of the Army recently. Karma does eventually catch up to you.

• Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    So I've been TDY for the past 6 weeks, and damn it if what we've been talking about hasn't got me thinking about re-enlisting. I was dead set on ETSing (early 2018), but now I'm thinking maybe stay in an extra 5 years or so (get to 10 years of experience), and work on a grad degree with TA and maybe GI bill (probably an MBA from some kind of reputable school with an online program). I'd also really like to get to do more in my job role before I try to get into a civil service job (according to requirements on the job postings I've seen, I should be eligible for a GS-11 or 12 position), and with a grad degree and 10 years, I could easily shoot for 13 or *maybe* even 14.

I'm pretty tired of the typical army BS, and still looking forward to dressing like an adult at work, having more free time, etc, but I also really love a lot of elements about both the army and my current job.

I suppose I should write out more detailed plans for both ETSing and re-enlisting and do some pros/cons.

imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    moocow wrote: »
    So I've been TDY for the past 6 weeks, and damn it if what we've been talking about hasn't got me thinking about re-enlisting. I was dead set on ETSing (early 2018), but now I'm thinking maybe stay in an extra 5 years or so (get to 10 years of experience), and work on a grad degree with TA and maybe GI bill (probably an MBA from some kind of reputable school with an online program). I'd also really like to get to do more in my job role before I try to get into a civil service job (according to requirements on the job postings I've seen, I should be eligible for a GS-11 or 12 position), and with a grad degree and 10 years, I could easily shoot for 13 or *maybe* even 14.

I'm pretty tired of the typical army BS, and still looking forward to dressing like an adult at work, having more free time, etc, but I also really love a lot of elements about both the army and my current job.

I suppose I should write out more detailed plans for both ETSing and re-enlisting and do some pros/cons.

2015-10-20-Strip_403_Life_After_EAS_Nostalgia_web.jpg

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    All I'll say is that it's five years of your life you don't get back. Five years of career progression, free time, and healthy social interactions.

But I totally get the dilemma, and definitely weigh it out.

• Options
    Yeah, I'm worried that I'm just doing what I see a lot of guys who stay in do, which is justify taking the "easy" path of staying in. It's not easy in that it's not shitty, it's easy in that there's almost no risk. You don't have to get out of your comfort zone and do new things with your life, you just keep on keeping on for 20 years.

imttnk.png
  • Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    Quick question for you guys... Is 30 too old to enlist? Maybe in the Air Force?

I have a Bachelors degree (comp sci), no debt, and several years experience in the tech industry. I'm at a point where I can make a mid course correction in life and looking at many options.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    I'd highly recommend trying to go officer instead of enlisted. I enlisted at 23 and the lifestyle adjustment was difficult enough. Check and see if NUPOC is something you're interested in, they do waivers up to 32.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    I know a couple 30-year olds and I'm in my first year of training. One was handy so I asked her and she said it's not bad. Isolating and annoying at times (I'm 27 so I get that too, or at least understand it), and she says go officer if you can, but she's not sad she's in the military.

Honestly, at least here, the most successful people here are the ones who've had some life experience ahead of time. It's often the high-schoolers who struggle.

We're Navy, though, and linguist school is weird as hell all around. I know a few AF people I can ask but honestly unless you want to be a linguist the experience here probably doesn't necessarily apply.

• Options
    As a dude who enlisted in the Army at 30 with a Bachelors degree: Go fucking officer! You're just throwing away money and the chance to control and influence your environment through greater position and responsibility. And after 4 years in, I care more about having lost the chance to lead and work to my actual level of competence than missing the money, had I commissioned instead of enlisted.

Enlistment is meant for young, uneducated kids. You are hopefully a mature adult who doesn't need to be babysat and hand fed instructions.

Any of the branches would probably love to have a cyber officer with a CS degree and experience in the field. I'd recommend Air Force though.

imttnk.png
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Our office has a new 26 y/o A1C, although granted with his maturity level it's... appropriate.

Go officer, and if you can't I would still recommend against enlisting.

• Options
    furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    If you go officer the easiest path is ROTC. You can go back to school for 2 years and get your masters, get a stipend and money for tuition, and walk out an officer. That's what I'd do. ROTC seems like such a good financial deal.

I think the age limit in Army ROTC is 32 for that though without a waiver.

I'm in the guard and going through state OCS and it is a long grind. Some people have been here since Sept 2015 and won't commission till Sept 2017. I don't find it very hard but we have to have our rooms inspection ready by formation at 1800 on Friday. Since I drill 4 hours from where I work that means taking the whole day off. I've been here since March now.

One of the guys in my class is an AGR guard liasion at a university and a ROTC trainer. He claims state OCS is much harder and better training than ROTC.

Also, I enlisted at 32 then want officer after AIT. BCT is geared towards 18 year olds and will be disappointing to an adult. The age thing is all relative though. In fact in our OCS class of 25+ people the three of us with the top pt scores are 32+. 20 year olds have a hard time balancing work and pt and guard.

Some people in their mid thirties are much older than others though.

furbat on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Not only was my medical paperwork approved, I'm becoming a Captain. I might already be one.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Captain O-3 or Captain O-6? :P

Handgimp on
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Haha nothing to see here!

Diplominator on
  • Options
    Shhh nobody saw that!

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Hey thread, I could really use some advice.

National Guard, currently at Federal OCS. Trouble is, my state thought I was going to State OCS for some reason and didn't assign me a branch or a unit before I left. Now that I'm here it turns out they're 160% overstrength for second lieutenants and I'm getting the scraps- either a branch that's dead last on my list or an armory that's half a day away in the middle of nowhere. I'm debating dropping out and going enlisted but my recruiter moved stations and his replacement is really salty about that idea ("you'd waste 50k taxpayer dollars etc"). I'm worried that I wouldn't keep my loan repayment. On the plus side I'd probably get locked in for my dream job (intel), and I'd actually be hands-on instead of writing reports.

Thoughts?

As far as the officer vs enlisted stuff goes, I'm the crazy guy that actually enjoys being on work details so getting bossed around as enlisted is no big deal.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    How much in option do you have? I know of certain Guard...shit it may have been reserve, that lets you do your stint all in one go. They fly you out to where ever, put you up in housing, then use/abuse you for 2-3 months. You get to do normal person job (especially as a fed/state employee).
    I'd suggest staying on the O-side. Paywise you'll be better off, and young O's can do the work details/get bossed around.

What state are you in?

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Florida. I think that in-option stuff's Reserve; I've never heard about something in the Guard like that. I found some exciting mos's in a good location using the online Guard jobs search, but getting one of those would involve forcing either AG or my recruiter to help me. I've only been in the military a very short time, but from what I've noticed there's an awful lot of "it's not my job" going around : /

• Options
    DO NOT go enlisted if you can be officer. DO NOT. DO NOT. DO NOT. I don't care what you think you know about it. DO NOT.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Florida. I think that in-option stuff's Reserve; I've never heard about something in the Guard like that. I found some exciting mos's in a good location using the online Guard jobs search, but getting one of those would involve forcing either AG or my recruiter to help me. I've only been in the military a very short time, but from what I've noticed there's an awful lot of "it's not my job" going around : /

What branch? You may be able to reach out to other services and see what they can help you with. Sucks that you're getting that. I've found that attitude more common in dealing with the Army...and also holy shit so much of that attitude in DISA.
    Seriously though, see if there are other service units nearby that might have a thing to offer you. Or maybe a more helpful recruiter.

• Options
    Army Guard. You can switch recruiters? That's a thing?

• Options
    At the very least you can find someone who would be aware of different options.
    Or at least point you in the direction of a solution. No one cares about your career like you do, so it's in your best interest to find someone who is willing to work with you a bit, instead of the guy who seems to have minimal interest.
    I'm not sure if you're able to switch services at this point but it really can't hurt to ask, especially if you find the Army side just isn't putting in the work.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I found out I have back pay heading my way when the paperwork is done.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »

Meanwhile the California Guard is trying to fuck over a bunch of people.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    I'd be looking for someone to sue.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Good lord reading that was infuriating. It looks like the main guy who filed the suit on behalf of all had his amount settled and now their trying to get the case thrown out.
    Which is even more shitty.

• Options
    Handgimp wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »

Meanwhile the California Guard is trying to fuck over a bunch of people.

Jesus. I got a bonus in that era, not Cali but still. Hope that never comes back on me.

Just goes to show you can never get far enough out to avoid getting fucked one last time by the long dick of the Army.

• Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    I also like how only the enlisted NCO for the California NG got federal time. Where as the officers that we all know signed off on her requests got no jail time. Seems fair.

Congress better fix this shit show fast. That is beyond ignorant that they are passing the fraudulent career counselors debts onto them. They didn't know they were given the bonus in error, so how can they be forced to repay it.

God, just five more years. That's all I have to keep telling myself... five more...

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    The best part is hearing congresscritters condemning this... although apparently they've been okay with it for the past two years.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    The best part is hearing congresscritters condemning this... although apparently they've been okay with it for the past two years.

It was quiet for the past two years.

Actually had a coworker ask me if I'd been caught up in this, just because he knew I was in the Guard a while back. So it's definitely a thing now.

• Options
    mcdermott wrote: »

It was quiet for the past two years.

Actually had a coworker ask me if I'd been caught up in this, just because he knew I was in the Guard a while back. So it's definitely a thing now.

The National Guard petitioned Congress in 2014 to forgive it. Congress said fuck you, we don't have money because we're too busy trying to destroy the economy.

So now that it gets national press they're trying to push blame onto the Guard and SecDef. "yeah we got the request, but they should have been more forceful. Why didn't SecDef just do our job for us before now?"

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    That sounds like Congress to me. Reminds me of a certain congressman I've had the displeasure of knowing.

I actually had to go to court as a PV2, for a car accident that happened a year prior to me enlisting (it was a friend who was in my vehicle, whos parents are habitually sue people for stupid shit). When I showed up to court in my pickle suit (yea I've been in awhile) he tried to get an injunction against me so that I couldn't wear my uniform in court. Needless to say the judge told him to fuck off.

This lawyer is now a congressman who 'spends all his time fighting for servicemen and women's rights'.

TDLR - Politicians are money hungry fake people.

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I feel like I'm becoming the, "Jack of All Trades" on my Staff. I've completed x3 UAS Courses (One Platoon Leader), I'm UMO/Hazmat Certified, just got CBRN OIC Certified today, I have Supply experience and am slated to go to a G Army Transition Class, three week TRIST Class, JEMs (More CBRN), and am in the process of putting my packet together for doing a Battalion S6 course. I'm gonna piss someone off when I drop my REFRAD Packet in a few more weeks after that S6 Course is done.

Also. I just wanna rant that my old boss that got fired for a drug offense was awarded an MSM for his service. I assume senior Captain is the rank where Officers can do whatever they want and still get major awards and accreditation for being shit bags?

Waffles or whatever on
  • Options
    Waffen wrote: »
    Also. I just wanna rant that my old boss that got fired for a drug offense was awarded an MSM for his service. I assume senior Captain is the rank where Officers can do whatever they want and still get major awards and accreditation for being shit bags?

That kinda pisses me off because my old Eng got MSM for his end of tour, and he was a kickass O4. Although he moved on to bigger and better things (I think he screened for command? I'll have to check) instead of getting kicked to the curb, and different branches.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Lol you are going to hate life in that JEM course. Going to be a one boring ass week in your life!

Maybe you will get lucky and get taught the new JEM that is web based. It is at least slightly more up to date then using a VM and a program from 1987 to work on.

Though we just did the TM validation with the web based software last year, so they might not be teaching that one yet.

For all the hate I put on JEM, I love them because they are based out of San Diego. So whenever they want me to check out something I get to spend a week there playing with their newest build.

Bloodycow on
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    Bloodycow wrote: »
    Lol you are going to hate life in that JEM course. Going to be a one boring ass week in your life!

Maybe you will get lucky and get taught the new JEM that is web based. It is at least slightly more up to date then using a VM and a program from 1987 to work on.

Though we just did the TM validation with the web based software last year, so they might not be teaching that one yet.

For all the hate I put on JEM, I love them because they are based out of San Diego. So whenever they want me to check out something I get to spend a week there playing with their newest build.

Yeah I just started JEM today. Its the web based one. We basically finished the entire cirriculum today. The instructor said the rest of the week is for us to toy around with the system. Still done every day though at 1130.

• Options
    Nice! Who is your instructor?

It's not a terrible system, though the only time you will ever use it is on staff exercises I'm guessing. Would hope you don't get stuck doing the down wind hazard report that is due every 6 hours :P

― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    Had an old, salty retired NCO that was all kinds of messed up (Said he had a bullet in his spine, lots of pins/needles in his body, and almost comes off as if hes on his death bed). Guy was okay, he was definitely a talker though. Went by first name of Romeo.

• Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
This discussion has been closed.