As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2017 Information, FAQ, and Q&A Thread (Ask Questions Here!)

• millerm277millerm277 Registered User regular
    djlybs wrote: »
    They probably won't again this year... they had issues with people taking beer away from the bar in years past...

They also had no signs or staff indicating you couldn't take beer away from the bar in years past. So while true, that problem had obvious solutions beyond getting rid of it entirely.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Maybe, but hardly a point that matters since they will decide whatever they are going to decide, and we will find out after the decision has been made.

• casstronautcasstronaut Boston, MARegistered User regular
    FYI, I got the following response from pax_questions@paxsite.com:

No, PAX tickets are non-resellable as well. If you are caught reselling, your order will be cancelled and you will be blacklisted from attending any future events.

Eep. Still unclear how much this is enforced in the internet (EBay, Reddit, Craigslist), but sounds like precaution is necessary.
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Question: I bought too many passes thinking friends of mine would need them, and they ended up getting their own. (I AM NOT TRYING TO SELL THEM HERE, SO PLEASE DON'T ASK.) Is there a rule against reselling them at face value? I would like to get my money back, but I don't want to risk having the rest of my passes rescinded. Thanks for your help!
    (top)
    IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING BUYING PASSES FROM SECONDARY SOURCES

I just bought a pass on craigslist / ebay, how do I know if it's legit?
    If you purchase your pass from a second hand source, you are putting yourself at risk of purchasing a counterfeit pass. Second hand sources also include this forum, which is why there is no buy/sell/trade of pax passes on this forum. That doesn't mean that all second hand sources are illegitimate, but it is very important to understand this risk.

AT PAX you can have badges verified by badge-checking enforcers outside the show. There is no way to verify a second-hand badge prior to being at PAX.

2l6cl2.jpg
    I don't believe there is a legal issue with giving your badge to another person in exchange for some amount of dollars. Best bet is to email pax_questions@paxsite.com

• Bunta_FujiwaraBunta_Fujiwara Albany, NYRegistered User regular

No, PAX tickets are non-resellable as well. If you are caught reselling, your order will be cancelled and you will be blacklisted from attending any future events.

Eep. Still unclear how much this is enforced in the internet (EBay, Reddit, Craigslist), but sounds like precaution is necessary.

This seems very non-consumer friendly. Because there is such an insane frenzy to get tickets, I have ended up with an extra 3 full weekend sets. They would rather 3 more people not be able to go to PAX? They should really offer some sort of resale on their end, even at a percentage cost loss for the original buyer.

zmYaVYP.png
  • FUNCHOMCLALAFUNCHOMCLALA Registered User regular
    I am developing a tabletop game I'd like to show and playtest at PAX and make available to the Tabletop area as a game to check out. What is the best way to go about doing this?

• LackeyLackey [E] PAX Tabletop Tournaments Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I am developing a tabletop game I'd like to show and playtest at PAX and make available to the Tabletop area as a game to check out. What is the best way to go about doing this?

At PAX East, the Unpub Network (http://unpub.net/) has a presence in the Tabletop area specifically to demo and playtest unpublished games. I would *highly* recommend contacting them, or Darrel Louder, who would likely be coordinating it, to see how to sign up to work with them. Unpub would provide you with the logistics and scheduling support that you would need to be able to playtest at the show without any snags.

For the Lending Library - the qualification to be in the library is, sadly, it must be a published game. There are a number of reasons for this, but key among them is that the line has to be drawn somewhere -- the library would be inundated with unpublished prototypes in the system, causing inventory, storage, database logging, metrics and other related wrinkles.

Good luck with your game!

Lackey on
  • klzklz Registered User regular
    Will there be a layout of the tabletop area showing which vendor booths and demo only tables are going to be located there this year? It's strange to have this area completely devoid of any information in the Guidebook or program guide, and makes it more difficult to recall a particular game or company I want to remember after the show.

• SolanalesSolanales CMYKMatter Registered User regular
    klz wrote: »
    Will there be a layout of the tabletop area showing which vendor booths and demo only tables are going to be located there this year? It's strange to have this area completely devoid of any information in the Guidebook or program guide, and makes it more difficult to recall a particular game or company I want to remember after the show.

We won't know until the guidebook is published. Judging by the history of it though, I doubt it.

P0P7S6y.png
  • TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular

This seems very non-consumer friendly. Because there is such an insane frenzy to get tickets, I have ended up with an extra 3 full weekend sets. They would rather 3 more people not be able to go to PAX? They should really offer some sort of resale on their end, even at a percentage cost loss for the original buyer.

But how would it even be enforceable? Nowhere in the orders did they ask for other names so they aren't being locked to individuals.

• FUNCHOMCLALAFUNCHOMCLALA Registered User regular
    Lackey wrote: »

At PAX East, the Unpub Network (http://unpub.net/) has a presence in the Tabletop area specifically to demo and playtest unpublished games. I would *highly* recommend contacting them, or Darrel Louder, who would likely be coordinating it, to see how to sign up to work with them. Unpub would provide you with the logistics and scheduling support that you would need to be able to playtest at the show without any snags.

For the Lending Library - the qualification to be in the library is, sadly, it must be a published game. There are a number of reasons for this, but key among them is that the line has to be drawn somewhere -- the library would be inundated with unpublished prototypes in the system, causing inventory, storage, database logging, metrics and other related wrinkles.

Good luck with your game!

No worries. Total noob, but this has been useful. Many thanks!

• TurQTurQ New York CityRegistered User regular
    As a PAX Goer (No booth or panel) can I sell items to other PAX goers? I don't mean trying to set up shop. I mean simple, quick and out-of-the-way transactions between me and other PAX goers.

TurQ wrote: »
    As a PAX Goer (No booth or panel) can I sell items to other PAX goers? I don't mean trying to set up shop. I mean simple, quick and out-of-the-way transactions between me and other PAX goers.

The problem you're going to run into with that is Massachusetts tax laws. I won't pretend to know it all pertaining to that but I'm sure they'd have something to say about it. You can always email pax_questions@paxsite.com

P0P7S6y.png
  • SepiothSepioth Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I'm sure you won't have to worry about any tax laws. I'd that's the case yard sales and Craig's list would be breaking MA tax laws :)

EDIT:
    Found this in the MA tax laws -
    Casual and isolated sales:
    Infrequent and nonrecurring transactions made by people or businesses not regularly engaged in the business of making such sales are exempt. For example, sales of used appliances by a homeowner or sales at infrequent yard sales are exempt.

On the other had I would be more concerned about PAX policies. Vendors pay to be there to sell their goods. PAX may have issues with you selling your stuff stuff there.

What is it you are selling?

Sepioth on
    4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    Hey so just thought about this and dont think I am breaking the rules but maybe you guys can tell me

So I bought one set of passes. checked out and all that. Then I bought 2 more sets of passes for my buddies cause they were not able to buy them at the time. All in all I bought 3 sets of passes which from what I read you are allowed to buy up to 4 sets right? My main question is were I did 2 orders is that gonna cause my orders to get canceled were they are going to the same addy even though I did not break the sets of passes rule?

rascrush wrote: »
    Hey so just thought about this and dont think I am breaking the rules but maybe you guys can tell me

So I bought one set of passes. checked out and all that. Then I bought 2 more sets of passes for my buddies cause they were not able to buy them at the time. All in all I bought 3 sets of passes which from what I read you are allowed to buy up to 4 sets right? My main question is were I did 2 orders is that gonna cause my orders to get canceled were they are going to the same addy even though I did not break the sets of passes rule?

The verbiage on the order page says:
    PLEASE NOTE: In order to keep things fair, we currently have badge limits in place. You are allowed to purchase up to 4 badges of each type, per household. If we determine that you are ordering under different names and multiple addresses, all of your orders will be cancelled immediately.

It doesn't say anything about multiple orders while still staying under 4 of each type so I would imagine you're fine. that being said, you can always email pax_questions@paxsite.com if you're concerned.

P0P7S6y.png
  • CoanCoan TorontoRegistered User regular
    Late in replying, but no alcohol at East was a Khoo decision due to issues with some people iirc and the fact that they didn't want to add to troubles. In addition to that, they didn't feel that being able to get beer directly in the convention should be a big thing to add, like...can you not have fun at PAX without the booze?

Additionally the number of places you can get a beer in the neighbourhood if one wishes should be enough for those who really need a drink.

If anyone remembers the details of that better from last years Club PA meetup, feel free to correct me.

Posting on the phorum again like its 1999
  • falknessfalkness Registered User regular

But how would it even be enforceable? Nowhere in the orders did they ask for other names so they aren't being locked to individuals.

ReedPop helps organize PAX, right? Cause they had similar rules for NYCC this year, like having to be fan verified and tickets registered, but they never checked for ID once that weekend. And PAX doesnt have you check in and out for the day like NYCC so how would they know if you have a badge that wasn't originally yours?

• robirexrobirex BostonRegistered User regular
    Coan wrote: »
    can you not have fun at PAX without the booze?

Additionally the number of places you can get a beer in the neighbourhood if one wishes should be enough for those who really need a drink.

I disagree with this line of thinking. Serving alcohol is not about whether a person can have fun without the alcohol, of course they can. The issue I take up is that the people coming to PAX have spent a lot of money and for some people, like me, it may be their only vacation that year. Others come from out of state or out of country in order to come to this event. I believe the convention should be happy to oblige anyone who wants to drink given the amount of money everyone is spending (and will spend if alcohol is served) of course this is as long as people are responsible and not obnoxious, but that goes without saying.

This is more of a hospitality decision than anything. PAX should continue to serve the people who come to their event by providing convenient spots to serve alcohol if one chooses to drink. Last year, was rough getting a drink at any of the bars at the Westin. Long lines that at one point took 30 mins plus. That's just way too long.

6pq9je4.png
  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    robirex wrote: »

I disagree with this line of thinking. Serving alcohol is not about whether a person can have fun without the alcohol, of course they can. The issue I take up is that the people coming to PAX have spent a lot of money and for some people, like me, it may be their only vacation that year. Others come from out of state or out of country in order to come to this event. I believe the convention should be happy to oblige anyone who wants to drink given the amount of money everyone is spending (and will spend if alcohol is served) of course this is as long as people are responsible and not obnoxious, but that goes without saying.

This is more of a hospitality decision than anything. PAX should continue to serve the people who come to their event by providing convenient spots to serve alcohol if one chooses to drink. Last year, was rough getting a drink at any of the bars at the Westin. Long lines that at one point took 30 mins plus. That's just way too long.
    It also didn't help that they closed down the Sam Adams bar last year, which was a terrible decision all around. I heard rumors for the decision ranging from someone puking all over the floor to some underage kids swiping the containers off of tables where people didn't clean up after themselves. Whatever it was, we found ways to work around it. There are lots of places near the water to get alcohol, but I sure hope they bring the Sam Adams bar back last year, because it's amazingly convenient. We've been going to and drinking at PAX for years without seeing any issues, but obviously the more people that show up the more chance for issues.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
    Solanales wrote: »

We won't know until the guidebook is published. Judging by the history of it though, I doubt it.

I know. Historically, I've asked for several years and just figured I'd pop it in again. As someone who helps out with tabletop exhibitors, running demos, it is weird not to know where to go once I have my badge to get in and get to the booth, but also who else will be there to check out and possibly budget purchases from. Jerry has been a big supporter of tabletop, and since it's still a large part of the con, it should get the same love as the rest of the show.

I know. Historically, I've asked for several years and just figured I'd pop it in again. As someone who helps out with tabletop exhibitors, running demos, it is weird not to know where to go once I have my badge to get in and get to the booth, but also who else will be there to check out and possibly budget purchases from. Jerry has been a big supporter of tabletop, and since it's still a large part of the con, it should get the same love as the rest of the show.

There was a survey that went around last summer after east that hinted towards a possibility of a PAX Tabletop. I do wish that would come to fruition

P0P7S6y.png
  • CoanCoan TorontoRegistered User regular

I'd say that you could take it up with Khoo then, but he's no longer in charge. I was mostly trying to recall what he had said the reasoning for closing it down was.
    They did say that it wasn't entirely the liquor license violations that got it shut down iirc.

Personally i'm more of a "drink in the hotel with friends" sort, especially with the store on...D street? that opened up with all the new construction. Cheaper, easier to have a conversation with the people you're with, and if you're in a hotel close to the con, not really a hassle to get back to do what you want.

Posting on the phorum again like its 1999
    An interesting thing to point out about PAX East 2017, that Sunday is Daylight Savings Time, so we all lose an hour sleep that night. Just a heads up. Isn't this like the 3rd or 4th PAX where this has happened too?!

zmYaVYP.png
  • PavioPavio Registered User regular

I'd say that you could take it up with Khoo then, but he's no longer in charge. I was mostly trying to recall what he had said the reasoning for closing it down was.
    They did say that it wasn't entirely the liquor license violations that got it shut down iirc.

Personally i'm more of a "drink in the hotel with friends" sort, especially with the store on...D street? that opened up with all the new construction. Cheaper, easier to have a conversation with the people you're with, and if you're in a hotel close to the con, not really a hassle to get back to do what you want.

I believe it was because of past violations that PAX didn't want to deal with, and shouldn't have to deal with. Only East has ever had booze and it became a distraction with alcohol related incidents that weren't at the other shows, including issues that it caused with the convention because of minors consuming alcohol that was bought by someone who was of age. The convention center was fined, and the convention passed that on to PAX. At that point, Khoo decided against alcohol, which is understandable.

v6h3hfs2v597.png
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    An interesting thing to point out about PAX East 2017, that Sunday is Daylight Savings Time, so we all lose an hour sleep that night. Just a heads up. Isn't this like the 3rd or 4th PAX where this has happened too?!

You gain an hour of sleep in the fall. "Spring Forward, Fall Back". It goes from being 2AM to being 1AM, so you get to experience 1-2 twice. Extra hour. Fun fact: Boston bars close at 2AM. So on that day they are open an hour longer despite closing at the usual time.

YoungFrey wrote: »
    You gain an hour of sleep in the fall. "Spring Forward, Fall Back". It goes from being 2AM to being 1AM, so you get to experience 1-2 twice. Extra hour. Fun fact: Boston bars close at 2AM. So on that day they are open an hour longer despite closing at the usual time.

Disregard me, I had it backwards. Either way, worth noting lol!

zmYaVYP.png
  • TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular

Goddamnit. Not the first time for sure. Pretty sure I blocked out a memory of missing a panel because of it.

• TurQTurQ New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016

Yes, so in fact do lose an hour. Since PAX East is in March (AKA, the spring). PAX East is not in the fall so we do NOT gain an hour.

TurQ on

You mean gain an hour?

Yes, so in fact do lose an hour. Since PAX East is in March (AKA, the spring). PAX East is not in the fall so we do NOT gain an hour.

Yep you got it correct.. losing an hour of bar time/sleep depending on your activities (I'll be soaking my feet and/or snoring more than likely) lol

P0P7S6y.png
  • robirexrobirex BostonRegistered User regular
    Just want to put the Daylight Saving Time talk to bed. Confusing haha. Here from the Google (hopefully it helps clarify):

During late Winter we move our clocks one hour ahead and "lose" an hour during the night and each Fall we move our clocks back one hour and "gain" an extra hour. But Daylight Saving Time (and not Daylight Savings Time with an "s") wasn't just created to confuse our schedules.

So, PAX will be the late winter portion of that excerpt. We will jump our clocks ahead and lose an hour of sleep that night. On Nov. 6, we will turn our clocks back one hour and gain the additional hour.

6pq9je4.png
  • FindabairFindabair Registered User new member
    when is the schedule normally posted on the site?

• craiolacraiola MARegistered User regular
    Findabair wrote: »
    when is the schedule normally posted on the site?

The schedule gets posted with guidebook usually around 2 weeks before PAX

DXLJjjr.png

There was a survey that went around last summer after east that hinted towards a possibility of a PAX Tabletop. I do wish that would come to fruition

I'm also hoping that with Thronwatch's successful Kickstarter, it would be a great time to really tie in tabletop to the rest of the convention.

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular

Yeah, I'm the idiot. I was thinking of Aus which will be going on during the US' switch off daylight savings time.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2016
    With the US PAXes, they have been trying to get the schedule out around a month before the show. Sometimes it's less than that though.

As far as a PAX Tabletop goes, I believe their current focus is to keep the PAX South Indie Showcase designed around Tabletop, and to showcase that there. Tabletop is an important part of every PAX, although some have more space than others. I doubt they will add an additional show anytime soon. The yearly show schedule for PA is pretty full as it is.

Regarding the alcohol issue in the BCEC: It really doesn't matter what various opinions are on whether it should or shouldn't be there, from a community perspective. If you have an issue or a question about it, you will have to contact PAX directly at pax_questions@paxsite.com. There is nothing this community can do one way or another to change that decision, so that line of discussion is really outside the remit of this Q&A thread since the question has been asked and the answer is "we don't know yet, and we won't know until PAX tells us something new about it".

zerzhul on
    Yeah, I'm the idiot. I was thinking of Aus which will be going on during the US' switch off daylight savings time.

Damn you for making me second guess myself. Lol

zmYaVYP.png
  • BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    edited October 2016
    Paine wrote: »
    Question: I bought too many passes thinking friends of mine would need them, and they ended up getting their own. (I AM NOT TRYING TO SELL THEM HERE, SO PLEASE DON'T ASK.) Is there a rule against reselling them at face value? I would like to get my money back, but I don't want to risk having the rest of my passes rescinded. Thanks for your help!
    I don't believe there is a legal issue with giving your badge to another person in exchange for some amount of dollars. Best bet is to email pax_questions@paxsite.com
    I noticed this year that during the purchasing process there was a disclaimer that said that passes are non-resaleable and non-transferable under any circumstances. I don't know if this is normal and just never enforced or if it is new this year. In either case, it is technically forbidden to sell badges at any price.

Yea as @zerzhul pointed out, that text was an error and has been corrected now. That text has not been there previously.

The customer service folks at pax_questions had some crossed wires and that is being corrected. You are welcome to re-sell your badges or give them away. If you can't go please do get them in the hands of someone that can, we would love for as many people to enjoy PAX as we are allowed to let in. However please don't price gouge and for sure do not sell them via these forums.

Beker on
    -Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    For those concerned about the DST switchover: it is currently being studied by the state government here in Massachusetts to move the state to Atlantic Standard Time and at the same time getting rid of Daylight Savings Time.

https://www.timeanddate.com/news/time/massachusetts-time-zone-change.html

If we do change over it will probably be with the spring DST shift in 2018 (and we just won't "fall back" at the end of DST)

JfqWFk8.png
  • Gamul1Gamul1 Registered User regular
    Kilonum wrote: »
    For those concerned about the DST switchover: it is currently being studied by the state government here in Massachusetts to move the state to Atlantic Standard Time and at the same time getting rid of Daylight Savings Time.

https://www.timeanddate.com/news/time/massachusetts-time-zone-change.html

If we do change over it will probably be with the spring DST shift in 2018 (and we just won't "fall back" at the end of DST)

While I would love if MA went to Atlantic time, there is no chance of it happening in 2018. I'll be surprised if they actually do this. But the government is doing the study so expect that to take a few years where they do nothing but collect pay checks. Then, if they implement it, expect them to put some sort of delay on it. Would not be surprised if this was a 2024 thing if it passes at all.

• Consti2tionConsti2tion Registered User regular
    (top)
    IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING BUYING PASSES FROM SECONDARY SOURCES

I just bought a pass on craigslist / ebay, how do I know if it's legit?
    If you purchase your pass from a second hand source, you are putting yourself at risk of purchasing a counterfeit pass. Second hand sources also include this forum, which is why there is no buy/sell/trade of pax passes on this forum. That doesn't mean that all second hand sources are illegitimate, but it is very important to understand this risk.

AT PAX you can have badges verified by badge-checking enforcers outside the show. There is no way to verify a second-hand badge prior to being at PAX.

2l6cl2.jpg
    Just for some further clarification, I believe I heard there are some laws in some states (I'm Canadian so I'm not really confident in this) that indicate event tickets, if resold, have to be sold at the same or less face value as the initial purchase. I THINK I recall someone saying that is the case in Mass.

Massachussets does have a strict scalping law, but my research tells me there is no enforcement of it online. But trying to sell at any kind of markup at the venue would be a potentially risky move.

here is a link to the Mass Ticket laws http://www.mass.gov/courts/case-legal-res/law-lib/laws-by-subj/about/scalping.html