As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bohemia Interactive presents DayZ 1.0 or: Wait, It's Actually Out of Early Access?

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Some Rusting might be in order, methinks.

The one game I don't have.

Ah well.

• Options
    Ash of YewAsh of Yew Registered User regular
    I have a hard time pinning down what you actually want out of games Chuwero (I hope that doesn't sound negative!), so I'm not sure whether I would recommend Rust to you or not. I mean, it has things I think you would like, like ding dongs. But the community is even worse than DayZ's, and I dunno if you'd like the crafting and stuff or not, since crafting seems to be something you complain about in DayZ.

I really dunno!

• Options
    Ash of Yew wrote: »
    I have a hard time pinning down what you actually want out of games Chuwero (I hope that doesn't sound negative!), so I'm not sure whether I would recommend Rust to you or not. I mean, it has things I think you would like, like ding dongs. But the community is even worse than DayZ's, and I dunno if you'd like the crafting and stuff or not, since crafting seems to be something you complain about in DayZ.

I really dunno!

I absolutely know how shitlordiest of shitlords the average Rust community is :heartbeat:

I've no problem with crafting, I used to love crafting in epoch.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I killed some messy, obviously new-to-the-game hoarder dude who only had a Makarov and a Trumpet by funneling a hundred 5.56 rounds into his direction and now I feel bad

Platy on
  • Options
    I killed some messy, obviously new-to-the-game hoarder dude who only had a Makarov and a Trumpet by funneling a hundred 5.56 rounds into his direction and now I feel bad

"Oh boy I have a Makarov, this thing is awesome! I think I'm gonna really enjoy this Ga-hurk urghle bloodgurgle"

• Options
    Most of those rounds were fired in vain attempts to penetrate the barrack windows

I got him in the end with a headshot

He also had apples but I don't think he was a hacker which means he actually went and picked them off the trees

• Options
    Most of those rounds were fired in vain attempts to penetrate the barrack windows

He also had apples but I don't think he was a hacker which means he actually went and picked them off the trees

picking apples is usually one of the first things I do.

Cause 1) Its the only semi-reliable way to not starve, and 2) I do it first because it requires standing in the open meaning I lose nothing but a few minutes of pressing a button if I get killed.

• Options
    HamuelHamuel voted most likely to clip through the ground Registered User regular

you monster

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    I'm itching to play this soon.

Been having all kinds of DayZ dreams recently. The thing I'm noticing in my dreams that's radically different than the game itself is that, in my dreams, there's always someone to shoot.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    Well, I have a barrel in Pogo on the Pimpsy's Lootmania server with 600 5.56 rounds and other assorted ammunitions

• Options
    I had a DayZ-related dream in which Bohemia introduced zombie baboons and witches into the game

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Zombie baboons is one thing, but zombie witches? Que ridiculo.

oh and latest status report
    https://dayz.com/blog/status-report-11-oct-2016

Sounds like they keep trying to improve desync, and ended up redoing things completely, and now have a whole mess of new issues with it. Which makes me pretty skeptical of how it will be when they finally patch, since those sorts of issues go up exponentially when they go public.

Ash of Yew on
  • Options
    No, zombified baboons, but unzombified witches

We were fighting the baboons in a hospital and it was a lot dirtier than hospitals are in the game, everything in the SA is probably a bit too clean

Chernarus is also a lot more three-dimensional in my dreams, there are hills and mountains everyhwere

• Options
    I kinda miss our neaf days in the SA. It was kind of the perfect distance from spawns that people couldn't constantly run back like fighting directly on the coast, but close enough that it also wasn't an issue when we died. The set up wasn't the worst, with the sniping in the hills and the cqc junk in the hangers/jails/atc. The biggest problem was the wall glitchers of course.

Now the east side of the map may as well not even exist in my mind.

• Options
    This video is strangely hilarious to me, especially the line about shooting galleries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bEuvNWNKB0

• Options
    I find it just a bit sad that DayZ videos any more by guys like this or WOBO are all just pure speculation, since there's not really anything for them to actually talk about lately.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    wait this thing still exists

is it still in pre-pre-Alpha no seriously guys we know how to program we promise

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    wait this thing still exists

is it still in pre-pre-Alpha no seriously guys we know how to program we promise

I wish I could remember my original prediction of when it would leave beta

we're probably past it

• Options
    Here's a recent post by Hicks on why we're getting so few updates:
    At the point we're at with development, we're effectively nearing merge time for the major engine modules that have been worked on. You saw it with the new renderer, and will be seeing it to a much smaller degree with the audio technology (0.61) moved over from the awesome dudes working on Arma - and currently the engine team are all cracking away on things such as physics, and the new animation system (which represents a blocker for a very large amount of content and overall changes to how the base game plays). Getting closer to (and the time approaching where we are now) these Enfusion changes being merged into DayZ's main trunk means that implementing changes in legacy SQF (which will die a horrible death with the merge to Enforce Script), or on the old animation system, hierarchy, and so on is a waste of development time - and will only serve to slow the project down even more.
    We (and I) completely understand how it can seem like nothing is happening while this stuff is being done - and completely understand how frustrating that is. Personally, I apologize for the frustration - but there is nothing that can be done about it, aside from us on the development team putting heads down and moving full steam ahead.

To give you a little perspective on the other side of the fence, it can be frustrating for a designer (for example) to be presented with spending a good amount of time investigating a non game breaking issue in SQF, when that designer knows that absolutely all of that script/system will (and is being) be rewritten in the new scripting language. It could also be incredibly frustrating for that designer if Eugen or I were to go to Peter (our Design Lead) and push him to implement a new system (lets say.. soft skills) in the old language and hierarchy in *addition* to the new language, and get it to a stable enough point on SQF that it is functional for the users on Steam. Essentially, any further work that is put into new features or support on old technology (animation, scripting, etc) is work that while enjoyable for those testing on Steam - is ultimately work that gets us no closer to (and slows us down on the path towards) the final product.

As far as why some smaller things don't get pushed sooner, like the server browser - Sometimes it is a matter of dependencies, like I mentioned earlier. Other times its as simple as not overcomplicating the build and testing pipeline. You can only branch so many times before you make your pipeline over complicated, and cumbersome to deal with. (Not to mention tracking down any issues within said pipeline).

I hope my late night ramblings answer some of your questions - if not, I'll be back on the forums in the morning to try and make sense of it.
    Thread: https://forums.dayz.com/topic/235270-the-frequency-of-updates/#comment-2357672

The TL;DR of it is, they're doing big reworks of the engine and don't want to waste time.

The issue I have, and that he barely touches upon besides saying they don't want to "overcomplicate the build," (bold part) is why they can't at least give us minor changes. Like content, minor balance tweaks and other things not dependent on their big engine updates. That seems like a really lousy excuse that they don't want to overcomplicate things. How complicated is it really to throw in some more items and adjust some digits on shit like run/turn speed?

My big gripe at this point is why they are even in early access if they aren't going to allow players access. They are essentially developing the game without us at this point, which is not what I think most people who buy early access are paying for. I can't help but feel especially shitty for folk buying it this year and getting one update. I at least have gotten a ton of fun out of the game, and knew a point where they were actually updating, but now it's just a fiasco.

The problem I find with this style of development is they seem to want to hurry through to 1.0, as if hitting that build solves all problems. The reality of course being that it won't be some huge transition and just another patch for everyone in early access. So why not start realizing their playerbase actually matters and shift gears. I could care less if the game takes 3 more years to hit 1.0 if we got updates constantly, as far as I'm concerned we're playing 1.0 already, as it's just a number.

• Options
    On a side note, I'd be tempted to actually post on their forum again to potentially interact with the team, if I didn't have to make a whole new account since they went and deleted everyone's old accounts when they all got hacked :?

• Options
    Lord HomsarLord Homsar Lord of Hammers Registered User regular
    A bunch of guys from my work are getting into some H1Z1 this weekend. I am avtually kinda digging it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    We killed five guys and shot two doors off a car

• Options
    6 I think, with the guy at myshkino! 6 and a half if you count yourself getting knocked out by me!

• Options
    I also forgot to mention that Bor is a pro with a bow

• Options
    You guys, tell me when you're gonna play next and I'll join ya.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    People sure talk a lot of uncreative shit in this game. Some guy was just cussing up a storm at Ham and I because we shot him in the leg with a bow. I even asked him not to swear around me, but then he just swore even more!
    Quite rude.

Ash of Yew on
  • Options
    Browsing threads on the official forum and these gems from Hicks in regards to 1pp vs 3pp:
    No, I don't have stats in front of me - but I can say my gut feeling is 3PP is more popular.
    I'd say it is almost exclusively due to the path of least resistance.

If you give people the option for an easier experience, the *majority* of them will follow it.
    To be clear, when I say it is easier - I mean even with the gains we have made trying to balance 3PP - from a tactical standpoint, it is MUCH easier to get the upper hand with 3PP.

I made a lengthy post once again pointing out each perspective just requires different approaches. That it is the position you choose, more so than the perspective itself, that gives you the advantage.

I also topped it off by saying if he wants to talk about things being "easy" let's talk about the dynamic crosshair.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Ash of Yew wrote: »
    Browsing threads on the official forum and these gems from Hicks in regards to 1pp vs 3pp:
    No, I don't have stats in front of me - but I can say my gut feeling is 3PP is more popular.
    I'd say it is almost exclusively due to the path of least resistance.

If you give people the option for an easier experience, the *majority* of them will follow it.
    To be clear, when I say it is easier - I mean even with the gains we have made trying to balance 3PP - from a tactical standpoint, it is MUCH easier to get the upper hand with 3PP.

I made a lengthy post once again pointing out each perspective just requires different approaches. That it is the position you choose, more so than the perspective itself, that gives you the advantage.

I also topped it off by saying if he wants to talk about things being "easy" let's talk about the dynamic crosshair.

I don't want to play 90% of the game with tunnel vision, so when I'm running around, looting, building, exploring, etc, I use third person so I can actually see the world around me.

I 100% first person when it comes to shooty times though. That's when you need the narrowed focus and longer vision range.

I just hope they don't fuck up either camera.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    @Ash of Yew @Hamuel @vsove

7 days to die is on sale on steam for 10 bucks. I've never played it, but I've seen a lot of lets plays in it and it looks fucking awesome. Not DayZish, really.. honestly its more what I was hoping h1z1 was gonna be, primitive weapons and trying to build a base to survive the horde, with fancy high tier real gun shooty weapons being relatively rare. Mostly PVE unless you want to split off and form factions or what have you, but.. might be something to take the edge off.

• Options
    HamuelHamuel voted most likely to clip through the ground Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

7 days to die is on sale on steam for 10 bucks. I've never played it, but I've seen a lot of lets plays in it and it looks fucking awesome. Not DayZish, really.. honestly its more what I was hoping h1z1 was gonna be, primitive weapons and trying to build a base to survive the horde, with fancy high tier real gun shooty weapons being relatively rare. Mostly PVE unless you want to split off and form factions or what have you, but.. might be something to take the edge off.

I only really have the mental stamina for one survival game. Case in point, I just started Shadow of Mordor, and the "survival" elements in it are driving me mad.

• Options
    Hamuel wrote: »

I only really have the mental stamina for one survival game. Case in point, I just started Shadow of Mordor, and the "survival" elements in it are driving me mad.

but its sooooooo good, Ham.

Its like someone took the best aspects of minecraft and dayz and smashed them together in a peanutbuttercuppy delight.

• Options
    Hamuel wrote: »

but its sooooooo good, Ham.

Its like someone took the best aspects of minecraft and dayz and smashed them together in a peanutbuttercuppy delight.

what if I found Minecraft to be incredibly dull? WHAT THEN?

• Options
    The best part of minecraft was the creativity aspect imo. I liked in early beta when there were no monsters, you still had to dig for resources, and the only major threats were falling from heights or into lava. When they added in the survival junk it really turned me off. Like playing with legos or something but some kid comes and smashes your shit every 20 minutes, no thanks.

• Options
    One time Ham and I killed a geared out dude with arrows and swords.

• Options
    New status report:

https://dayz.com/blog/status-report-08-nov-2016

Interesting stuff. They're adding a bunch of underbrush to forests, which, after having played Exile, I'm all for.

They're starting the Beta push. Who knows what that actually means. Beta June 2017?

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    I had to think about my favorite DayZ moments and most of them seemed to involve vehicles of some kind

I guess in my heart I always just wanted to be Mad Max

• Options
    Ham and I were shooting at people on experimental from the clock tower. Some fresh spawn tried to come up, cussing and yelling up a storm. He seemed legitimately very pissed off at us for shooting at fresh spawns and stuff. It was pretty hilarious.

• Options
    Here's a video on the wolves in case anyone is interested in that
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nFlmNRq07w

• Options
    Why would wolves be attracted to the sound of gunshots

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited November 2016

Pony on