As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[tech] It's Tech Spring Cleaning Week now. Clean your....tech....stuff.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    tickles my fanny

hot.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I think the pixel looks neat

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I like the pixel

it's just so Texa$

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    So I was unable to connect to the forums or vanilla's sites for a few hours just now, but the PA main site and the rest of the internet I tried worked fine. I heard something about a DDOS going on on the east coast maybe having something to do with it, anyone know what was going on?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    yea, basically one of the largest DNS providers was hit by a DDOS multiple times today, the forums was one of the sites affected (including github, amazon, twitter, etc)

I actually never had the forums affected

basically just twitter for me

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    all of the webs are being hacked simultaneously

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    all of the webs are being hacked simultaneously

oAyYr6N.gif

A major DNS provider is being attacked... But it seems to be a lot better right now

• JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    This attack was actually kind of neat and scary - instead of hijacking computers the attackers used the Internet of Things (a term I learned today with all this). They basically got access to internet-connected lightbulbs and toasters and shit and used those, because they have no protection and most of them also have no way to update themselves to fix the exploit, so the scale of the DDoS attacks using this method just goes through the roof.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/blame-the-internet-of-things-for-destroying-the-internet-today

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Google needs to update it's devices case game. I got one of their cases for my Pixel, and it sure could be a little better for 35 bucks or whatever.

edited October 2016

Fari2Q6l.png

Apple has just released its earnings report for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2016, which runs from the beginning of July to the end of September. As has been the case for the last two quarters, iPhone sales were down year-over-year, and that decline combined with sliding sales for Macs, iPads, and "other products" has driven the company's revenue and profit down even as its Services division continues to climb at a steady clip.

Apple made $9 billion in profit and $46.9 billion in revenue, compared to $11.1 billion in profit and $51.5 billion in revenue in Q4 of 2015. Its gross margin was 39.4 percent. These results beat Apple's guidance for the quarter, which predicted revenue between $45.5 billion and $45.7 billion and a profit margin between 37.5 and 38 percent.

The company predicts that it will make between $76 and $78 billion in the first quarter of fiscal 2017, with profit margins between 38 and 38.5 percent. The company made $74.6 billion in revenue in Q1 of 2016, so this would be a return to growth after three quarters of year-over-year decline.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/10/apples-q4-2016-more-money-from-services-cant-offset-slower-hardware-sales/

Brolo on
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Is stock android known for having problems connecting via wifi direct?

We tried to send some files to each other and sending between an S4 mini and some Huawei Idon'tknowwhat and also another tablet worked fine but sending from and to my Nexus 7 with Android 5 didn't work and neither did it work with my brother's S4mini with stock Android 6.

honovere on
    Microsoft event is interesting.

New surface book is 2400, pretty high powered, says its about 3x more powerful than the macbook pro so it's hitting the same price point for that. i7, 16 hour battery life, etc. etc.

Microsoft Surface Studio which is basically a desktop. 28" screen, 980m, i7. It looks pretty good. They're talking about the screen a LOT

I wonder if microsoft is aiming at enterprises with these products. They keep saying they're aiming at professionals with the power in the machines.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Yeah, the screen is crazy on the new Surface AIO. They're saying 63% more pixels (192PPI) than 4K and it's TrueColor, they're doing some tech demos on stage aimed at professionals. Also it's a 3:2 aspect ratio.

jgeis on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Coincidentally (actually coincidentally) I just put in a request for a new laptop. MAYBE I WILL GET A NEW SURFACE BOOK. MAYBE.

Someone give a reason why it has to be one with a graphics card please

You need more FRAAMMMEESSS

also I really wonder if big businesses/corporations/enterprises would want to purchase these kind of things. I really like the potential for these products in business settings but I just don't know if they're hitting that market

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Coincidentally (actually coincidentally) I just put in a request for a new laptop. MAYBE I WILL GET A NEW SURFACE BOOK. MAYBE.

Chrome uses graphic acceleration so you need it for web work without FPS lag...?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Also warhammer

Not that anyone will buy one because Windows Mobile lol, but T-Mobile is going to carry a Windows Phone 10 version of the Alcatel Idol 4S and it'll come bundled with a VR headset to take advantage of all of the VR and 3D stuff they showed off today.

oh wow that rotate ring actually affects things on the screen that's actually really fucking cool. the possibilities for that are pretty sweet

edited October 2016
    Ohhh, the Surface Studio can lay almost flat, and you can put the little radial knobber on the screen itself and it'll pop up radial menus.

Edit: and it supports the Surface Pen.

jgeis on
    woooooooooow this microsoft office demo with the pen is

wow wow i love these additions

the surface dial will work on any surface product, surface pros and books alike.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

You work for a videogame-related site and need the ability to check into content to see if it's offensive or not given the rules of the forum. Also you need a steam slush fund.

that dial is the coolest thing I will never use

I'm willing to kick in some extra to get a natty specced Surface book. Then again I'm about to RMA my second surface in two years so maybe fucking not.

edited October 2016
    ok ms we get it, the pen is good

we believe you

Jasconius on
    no no buy the surface book 2 and tell me if its good

I need a new laptop and spending like $3000 CDN better be worth it

three grand for that screen

hmm. no thanks

surface studio is 3k

woof

The Surface Studio is $3k USD.

Krahulik's mentions right now are like five hundred "have you seen the surface studio" questions

edited October 2016
    i guess the organizing principle of microsoft is to not sell things, bold choice

Jasconius on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Is that watercolor???

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    $3k doesn't seem that ridiculous?

The highest specced iMac is $2300, and the Surface Studio comes with a better CPU, better GPU, bigger (1" bigger, but still) and better screen, pen input and the hinge, pen support, the radial dial, and any other specs that might be higher.

tbh the most impressive thing in that whole show was that the Book has a 16 hour battery life

that's a pretty remarkable claim for what amounts to a desktop class notebook

my macbook pro on a good day might get 4 hours

Yeah a 16 hour battery life gets me pretty moist after the 5 hours I get on the pro.

This discussion has been closed.