As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Don't Know Much About Comics? Click Here!

• Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Seconding Excalibur, though that kinda is steeped in X-men and Captain Britain lore. Similar, but more compact: Alan Davis' Clan Destine.

For not Marvel: Rat Queens.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I'm yet to read Journey Into Mystery, and my partner doesn't know what to get me for my birthday - if she picks up the Complete Collection Part 1 and Part 2 is there anything else we need? Or is it actually, as advertised, complete?

I haven't really read anything in the way of Thor titles before.

McFodder on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    The Complete Collections are, indeed, complete. As long as you can just roll with the premise of the series, there's no other required reading (although I do think reading Siege and Siege: Thor isn't a bad idea, because that's some good reading).

You could see Gillen's Young Avengers as an epilogue to Journey into Mystery as well, but the two collections together form a complete story.

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Reznik wrote: »
    I'm looking for some oddly specific comics, and the local comic shops have tried but have thus far been unable to recommend much that fits what I'm looking for so I'm wondering if you guys could help.

I'm looking for something horror based, with ghosts and monsters and witches and the paranormal. I DO NOT want anything that has angels in it. I straight up hate angels. I'm not really looking for anything cosmic either, but I might check out something Cthulhuesque if it seems interesting. I basically want something that is kind of close to the first 3 seasons of Supernatural, or early X-Files minus the heavy conspiracy angle. I really like more low-key folklore based stuff as opposed to super huge world ending prophecies and whatever.

I already read Hellboy/BPRD, and I don't want any of the TV show based comics. I figure there's got to be some obscure indie title or something that is close to what I want. Pls halp.

I read 20 or so issues of rachel rising and liked it -- it's about witches

I read a few issues of nailbiter, which is about a small town that seems to draw or create serial killers

locke and key is horror-ish and excellent, about a family that moves into an old mansion and the kids find keys that have weird effects

I've heard good things about the archie horror reboots

I'd say animal man (new 52) is horror, about a guy who can use animal powers

walking dead is zombies (never read it but I've seen the show)

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I'm looking for some oddly specific comics, and the local comic shops have tried but have thus far been unable to recommend much that fits what I'm looking for so I'm wondering if you guys could help.

I'm looking for something horror based, with ghosts and monsters and witches and the paranormal. I DO NOT want anything that has angels in it. I straight up hate angels. I'm not really looking for anything cosmic either, but I might check out something Cthulhuesque if it seems interesting. I basically want something that is kind of close to the first 3 seasons of Supernatural, or early X-Files minus the heavy conspiracy angle. I really like more low-key folklore based stuff as opposed to super huge world ending prophecies and whatever.

I already read Hellboy/BPRD, and I don't want any of the TV show based comics. I figure there's got to be some obscure indie title or something that is close to what I want. Pls halp.

I read 20 or so issues of rachel rising and liked it -- it's about witches

I read a few issues of nailbiter, which is about a small town that seems to draw or create serial killers

locke and key is horror-ish and excellent, about a family that moves into an old mansion and the kids find keys that have weird effects

I've heard good things about the archie horror reboots

I'd say animal man (new 52) is horror, about a guy who can use animal powers

walking dead is zombies (never read it but I've seen the show)

I'd add Wytches - a super creepy take on witchcraft. This preview captures the tone.

You might check out Steve Niles' work. I'm hit or miss on him, but he's one of the most popular horror writesr in comics. If you saw the movie 30 Days of Night, that's him. He's got a whole series of books that continue that story.

As for Hellboy, have you tried Baltimore? I find it to be a more pure horror comic than either Hellboy or BPRD.

• mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    If I wanted to get caught up on all of the Hickman-esque Marvel stuff, where should I begin? I think the last major Marvel event that I read was Fear Itself.

Any other recommendations if I REALLY liked Fraction's Iron Fist and Hawkeye books? I recently subscribed to Marvel Unlimited, so I'm fiending for some good stuff.

I would just read his Avengers and New Avengers saga leading up to Secret Wars, to begin with. Later you should absolutely go back and read his Fantastic Four and Secret Warriors, because they're great, but Avengers and New Avengers is the most relevant to what's going on right now.

If you're reading issue by issue (which you can do fairly cheaply via Marvel Unlimited), this is a pretty good reading order:
    • Avengers #1-3
    • New Avengers #1-3
    • Avengers - #4
    • New Avengers #4
    • Avengers #5
    • New Avengers #5-6
    • Avengers #6-13
    • New Avengers #7
    • Avengers #14-17
    • New Avengers #8
    • Infinity #1
    • Avengers #18
    • New Avengers #9
    • Infinity #2
    • Avengers #19
    • New Avengers #10
    • Infinity #3
    • Avengers #20
    • Infinity #4
    • Avengers #21
    • New Avengers #11
    • Infinity #5
    • Avengers #22-23
    • Infinity #6
    • New Avengers #12
    • Avengers #24
    • New Avengers #13-15
    • Avengers #25-28
    • New Avengers #16-17
    • Avengers #29-34
    • New Avengers #18-23
    • Avengers #35
    • New Avengers #24
    • Avengers #36
    • New Avengers #25
    • Avengers #37
    • New Avengers #26
    • Avengers #38
    • New Avengers #27
    • Avengers #39
    • New Avengers #28
    • Avengers #40
    • New Avengers #29
    • Avengers #41
    • New Avengers #30
    • Avengers #42
    • New Avengers #31-32
    • Avengers #43
    • New Avengers #33
    • Avengers #44
    • Secret Wars #0-9

If you're reading in trade paperbacks, you'd want to read an order like this:
    • Avengers vol. 1: Avengers World
    • New Avengers vol. 1: Everything Dies
    • Avengers vol. 2: The Last White Event
    • Infinity (the Infinity collection contains basically the same content as Avengers vols. 3 & 4 and New Avengers vol. 2)
    • Avengers vol. 5: Adapt or Die
    • New Avengers vol. 3: Other Worlds
    • Avengers vol. 6: Infinite Avengers
    • New Avengers vol. 4: A Perfect World
    • Avengers: Time Runs Out vol. 1
    • Avengers: Time Runs Out vol. 2
    • Avengers: Time Runs Out vol. 3
    • Avengers: Time Runs Out vol. 4

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Are there any good comic blogs left?

• Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Are there any good comic blogs left?

Can I bump this? I was enjoying The Weekly Crisis (which I seem to recall was written by a forumer) and Funnybook Babylon, both of which seem to have gone to the White Hot Room or whatever the hell.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    House to Astonish is pretty good, but I haven't listened to them in ages. They do a podcast and some written reviews (one of the guys had ran the X-Axis which was a great X-Men review blog from the very beginning of the internets).

• BhowBhow Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away. On my way to where the air is sweet.Registered User regular
    Please, help me comic gurus--you're my only hope.

I like Star Wars; I like comics. I've never read a Star Wars comic. And it seems there are an awful lot of Star Wars comics now-a-days. Where does one start? Any that should not be missed (or some that should be avoided)?

If it helps narrow the choices, I'm more interested in stories/characters I haven't already seen in the movies, but a good story is a good story.

There are definitely a ton of Star Wars comics out there. Wikipedia has a fairly complete listing right here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars_comic_books

I don't know much about the stuff prior to Disney's acquisition of Star Wars, but if you want to read something recent that's not about characters from the movies, you ought to read the Kanan: The Last Padawan series.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Bhow wrote: »
    Please, help me comic gurus--you're my only hope.

I like Star Wars; I like comics. I've never read a Star Wars comic. And it seems there are an awful lot of Star Wars comics now-a-days. Where does one start? Any that should not be missed (or some that should be avoided)?

If it helps narrow the choices, I'm more interested in stories/characters I haven't already seen in the movies, but a good story is a good story.

The current Darth Vader series is very good.

Yeah, it stars Vader and is set between New Hope and Empire, but the rest of the main cast is new. It's Gillen, and he's one of Marvel's best. Well worth reading.

• BhowBhow Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away. On my way to where the air is sweet.Registered User regular
    Thank you both, I'll check those out.

• WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Comixology appears to have a sale for a bunch of predator comics. Anyone have any idea which omnibus may actually be worthwhile? I am not a huge fan of the art from what I have seen, but may the story is worthwhile? I like the concept but I dunno what sort of stories are told.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited March 2016

@Reznik
    I'm late on this, but holy cow, you need to read Locke and Key, it is right up your alley

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Not sure if this had been asked, but is there a decent program for organizing a comics collection?

Or, alternatively, how hard would it be to set up an Excel spreadsheet that would alphabetize by title?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    After Brightest Day, does anybody have a suggested reading order to finish out the run of the Geoff Johns Green Lantern?

I think it's:
    Revolt of the Alpha Lanterns
    War of the Green Lanterns
    Rise of the Third Army
    ?

• ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    I'm looking to dig into some Wolverine stories as is my patriotic Canadian duty.

My knowledge of the character ends at about the 90s animated series. At the comic shop they recommended Old Man Logan so I grabbed that. What else should I look for? I'm particularly interested in Weapon X stuff and his early days with the X-Men.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
    Weapon X by Barry Windsor-Smith is an absolute classic you should definitely read, as well as the Miller and Claremont Wolverine miniseries.

As far as his early days with the X-Men, Claremont's original run is the only way to go.

For other good Wolverine stuff, I highly recommend Jason Aaron's work. He wrote the best Wolverine stories since Claremont, in my opinion.

Those are the first ones that come to my mind as well. From the Aaron ones: Get Mystique is my favourite probably.

Maybe Greg Rucka and Darick Robertson's The Brotherhood, but I know that run is divisive. It's one of my favourite Wolverine stories though.

• ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Awesome, thanks. The comic shop has a couple of Jason Aaron Wolverine collections so I grabbed the first volume. Weapon X and Claremont/Miller seem easy enough to track down too.

What would be the cheapest way to read Claremont's X-Men run? Amazon has a bunch of Omnibus books but they're upwards of $200.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
    The absolute cheapest way would be to buy a subscription to Marvel Unlimited. The whole run is on there.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I've been out of regular comic buying for a long time, even after grabbing a Nexus a few years ago. What's the state of Ellis, Bruebaker, Morrison, Gaiman etc. I finished Fatale (grabbed the trades) and was looking to pick up Velvet. What's good work from these folks right now?

I also enjoyed (not loved) The Manhattan Projects and have heard good things about Rachel Rising. Not a Bendis hater, but I tend to stay away from a lot of the mainstream hero stuff, however if there are good self-contained runs I'm down. Also, is there a complete run of The Winter Soldier from Epting and Bruebaker? I read the first issue I think awhile back (with you know who getting popped by a sniper).

Honestly probably a stupidly broad request for recommendations, but any feedback is great.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    Velvet is very good. I think Brubaker's Marvel work is middling to below average but this is the best thing I've read of his since that Authority Coup D'etat series.

If you like Manhattan Projects, East of West is even better. It's Hickman doing a futuristic western type series where America is broken into different countries and deals with the four horseman of the apocalypse doing what they do.

Ellis did a run on Moon Knight which was really good, but only six issues.

TexiKen wrote: »
    Velvet is very good. I think Brubaker's Marvel work is middling to below average but this is the best thing I've read of his since that Authority Coup D'etat series.

If you like Manhattan Projects, East of West is even better. It's Hickman doing a futuristic western type series where America is broken into different countries and deals with the four horseman of the apocalypse doing what they do.

Ellis did a run on Moon Knight which was really good, but only six issues.

I liked TMP; I did remember it getting a bit too into that realm where these guys go full on science-fiction mumbo jumbo as a substitute for actual writing (Morrison and Ellis are really guilty of that in some of their more out their titles I recall), but overall it seemed good. I'm honestly mostly into that high science-fiction stuff, but not when there isn't a good story behind it. I'll check this out if they've got it on a sub service.

I think of the folks I mentioned Bruebaker is consistently great for me. Looking at Amazon it seems he has a couple of titles I'm not familiar with: Kill or Be Killed, The Fade Out and Scene of The Crime. I enjoyed Criminal a lot, but I think Scene of the Crime is more of that; rather try out something different from him honestly.

What about Greg Rucka? What's he got going on. I read a comic him and Lark did - Lazarus Jones and it seemed good. About crime families in the future? (Mostly avoiding Googling for fear of spoilers honestly)

Kill or be Killed is just out, so I can't say too much about it yet. Fade Out is basically a crime noir story set during the Golden Age of Hollywood, like all Brubaker/Phillips its very good, but it's pretty similar to Criminal in a lot of ways (not a problem to me, but you said you wanted something different).

Ellis has Injection out: a series about a think tank who create an AI with a combination of science and magic which turns out horribly. He also is doing Trees (aliens land on Earth, but turn out to be completely uninterested in humanity.) He's also doing Karnak for Marvel (but that one has been plagued by delays) and is the upcoming writer on DC's Wildstorm reboot.

Rucka has Lazarus (without the Jones after it) that's still ongoing (crime families in the future who use genetically enhanced enforcers). I like it a lot, the first TPB was a bit by numbers, but in the second the worldbuilding really strts to take off. He also had Black Magick about a police officer (who is secretly a witch) who investigates murders on witches, he's also writing Wonder Woman these days and people in the DC thread seem to like it. Finally he did a Dragon Age comic called Mage Hunter recently, but I found that one really disappointing.

edited October 2016
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    Kill or be Killed is just out, so I can't say too much about it yet. Fade Out is basically a crime noir story set during the Golden Age of Hollywood, like all Brubaker/Phillips its very good, but it's pretty similar to Criminal in a lot of ways (not a problem to me, but you said you wanted something different).

Ellis has Injection out: a series about a think tank who create an AI with a combination of science and magic which turns out horribly. He also is doing Trees (aliens land on Earth, but turn out to be completely uninterested in humanity.) He's also doing Karnak for Marvel (but that one has been plagued by delays) and is the upcoming writer on DC's Wildstorm reboot.

Rucka has Lazarus (without the Jones after it) that's still ongoing (crime families in the future who use genetically enhanced enforcers). I like it a lot, the first TPB was a bit by numbers, but in the second the worldbuilding really strts to take off. He also had Black Magick about a police officer (who is secretly a witch) who investigates murders on witches, he's also writing Wonder Woman these days and people in the DC thread seem to like it. Finally he did a Dragon Age comic called Mage Hunter recently, but I found that one really disappointing.

I mean I really likes Criminal and the connected/self-contained stories, I just had read Fatale and was blown away by his mix of noir and the occult. If The Fade Out is Criminal good I'll give it a read (didn't know it was set in Hollywood).

Everything about Ellis I'm all for (don't know who Karnak is though). The WS reboot especially. I thought DV8 was trash, but his transform of Stormwach and giving us Bryan Hitch, I'm all over that. Is it all one series at the moment, or a WS universe with him spearheading it?

EDIT: Is Comixology Unlimited worth it for anyone who has? I'm guessing it's the Netflix of comics and 5.99 isn't bad to get caught up (they've also got a trial so can perhaps see whats been out there in last five years or so).

ED! on
    I found Comixology Unlimited's catalog fairly disappointing. It's basically a lot of first volumes of series, and mainly from small publishers.

ED! wrote: »
    Dizzy D wrote: »

I mean I really likes Criminal and the connected/self-contained stories, I just had read Fatale and was blown away by his mix of noir and the occult. If The Fade Out is Criminal good I'll give it a read (didn't know it was set in Hollywood).

Everything about Ellis I'm all for (don't know who Karnak is though). The WS reboot especially. I thought DV8 was trash, but his transform of Stormwach and giving us Bryan Hitch, I'm all over that. Is it all one series at the moment, or a WS universe with him spearheading it?

EDIT: Is Comixology Unlimited worth it for anyone who has? I'm guessing it's the Netflix of comics and 5.99 isn't bad to get caught up (they've also got a trial so can perhaps see whats been out there in last five years or so).

The first trade of the Fade Out was a bit slow, but it's 3 trades total (same like Velvet, both are finished stories)

Ellis: Karnak is one of Inhumans, who has the ability to see the weak spot in anything and everybody. Was waiting for the trade, so I don't know much about it. WS reboot: will be a single series, we have some concept art (Engineer who looks more mech-like, Deathblow, Zealot and Grifter). 3 series will spin out of the single series was the current plan.

Just noticed that about Unlimited. I think I'll probably burn through what I'm looking to get caught up on with this free trial. It's a shame it's not included with Amazon Prime (or offered at a discount). Started The Fade Out and yea that seems like a corker. Sean's art is off the charts it seems like on this one. Speaking of Amazon, that seems like a pretty good place to get recommendations. Read Mind MGMT and I'll be getting back to that ASAP. The art is out of control.

I found those WS art pieces. . .not really feeling some of those redesigns (Engineer looks like Pharah from OVERWATCH). I'm honestly not feeling the art style overall, but I guess it doesn't need the "epicy" feel of Hitch or Quitely if the writing is there (the art isn't bad, just not as bold as I was expecting).

• TheSecretSeventhTheSecretSeventh GARegistered User regular
    Alright, guys and gals. It's been several years since I've posted in these forums, as I've mostly been out of the comic book reading business for quite a while.

The last time I bought comics on a weekly basis was when DC New 52 was happening, so I'm sure there are a million things I've missed. I read the Star Wars comics when they first came out a few years ago, and I've begun to read some current Image stuff and DC/Marvel stuff that started around the time I stopped. Basically, I have a couple hundred bucks to spend on back issues and I need your advice.

Stuff I've been reading in the past two years:
    • Star Wars
    • Darth Vader
    • Saga
    • Sex Criminals
    • The Wicked and the Divine
    • Mark Waid's Daredevil run
    • Scott Snyder's Batman run (Court of Owls and beyond)
    • Bendis Invincible Iron Man
    • Jason Aaron Doctor Strange
    • Geoff Johns Justice League
    • Warren Ellis Moon Knight run

I don't even know what of that stuff is still going, or is still good.

Some other characters I like are Spider-Man, Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Hawkeye, Avengers, Deadpool, and some X-Men stuff, but I'm really only interested if it doesn't suck. I held onto Green Arrow for far too long back in the day and I've learned my lesson on wasting money.

I love all of the writers listed above, but some others I enjoy are Gail Simone, Matt Fraction, and Brubaker, but I'm open to anything that's good.

My biggest goal is to get caught up on the stuff I need to know and the ongoings that I want to read on a weekly basis, but also to check in on little things I may have missed, even if it doesn't matter for the current weeklies (ie Star Wars mini series, other awesome Image stuff, etc). I think there was a Batman/TMNT cross over that looked pretty decent?

Sorry for the info dump, I'm feeling overwhelmed with where to even start.

PSN: DW_Drummer22
    XBL: MightyManotaur
    PA: TheSecretSeventh
    wait....
    I'd say you should check these out:
    • Avengers / New Avengers by Jonathan Hickman
    • Mighty Avengers / Captain America and the Mighty Avengers / New Avengers / Ultimates by Al Ewing
    • Uncanny Avengers by Gerry Duggan
    • Deadpool by Gerry Duggan
    • All-New Wolverine by Tom Taylor
    • Black Widow by Mark Waid
    • Occupy Avengers by David Walker
    • Hawkeye by Kelly Thompson
    • Green Arrow by Benjamin Percy

Darth Vader has ended

Saga is still going

Sex Criminals has been on hiatus, but is coming back soon

The Wicked + The Divine is still going

Waid's Daredevil has ended

Scott Snyder is currently writing All-Star Batman, while Tom King is writing regular Batman

Bendis' Invincible Iron Man is still going, although it did just do a relaunch

Jason Aaron's Doctor Strange is still going

Johns' Justice League has ended

Moon Knight is currently being written by Jeff Lemire

Hope that helps!

So is All-Star Batman any good?

And what's the deal with Avengers/Captain America/New Avengers, etc? Are those crossovers or something?

wait....
    all-star-batman-1_0.jpg?itok=lDDI8Qy7

All-Star Batman is pretty good

The deal with Avengers / New Avengers is that Jonathan Hickman wrote those series as parallel stories, which culminated in the Secret Wars event in Summer 2015. Here's a reading guide for Hickman's Marvel stuff that should be helpful: http://i.imgur.com/X9zUA8X.png

With Ewing's stuff, he started with Mighty Avengers, which was relaunched as Captain America and the Mighty Avengers with mostly the same cast after Original Sin. Then after Secret Wars Ewing started writing New Avengers and Ultimates, which both have some characters from the Mighty Avengers series, but are fairly independent of each other in terms of story. I actually forgot to mention that New Avengers was just revamped as USAvengers. It's all a little complicated to follow, but well worth it.

all-star-batman-1_0.jpg?itok=lDDI8Qy7

All-Star Batman is pretty good

The deal with Avengers / New Avengers is that Jonathan Hickman wrote those series as parallel stories, which culminated in the Secret Wars event in Summer 2015. Here's a reading guide for Hickman's Marvel stuff that should be helpful: http://i.imgur.com/X9zUA8X.png

With Ewing's stuff, he started with Mighty Avengers, which was relaunched as Captain America and the Mighty Avengers with mostly the same cast after Original Sin. Then after Secret Wars Ewing started writing New Avengers and Ultimates, which both have some characters from the Mighty Avengers series, but are fairly independent of each other in terms of story. I actually forgot to mention that New Avengers was just revamped as USAvengers. It's all a little complicated to follow, but well worth it.

dear lord I'm having a panic attack looking at that spread sheet. but I'll figure it out!

aaaaaaaand it sounds like I'm gonna be reading All-Star Batman.

wait....
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Hey thread. Looking at buying a present for a friend. He was into comics but had a 'this is all the same story' moment back in early 90s as a teenager and kind of got out of it. One of the comic store people recommended a frank miller thing hard boiled and Electra assassin, both of those he liked. Though I think that was the tail end of his interest.
    I got the new Vision series and lent it to him and he's liked the first volume working on the second.
    He isn't into the marvel movies all that much.
    He also likes Phillip K Dick books.
    Not sure if any of that helps.

PSN: jfrofl
    It sounds like he's mostly into Marvel, but DC's Omega Men by Tom King is really good and I think he'd probably like it.

Si Spurrier's X-Men Legacy starring Legion is similar to Vision in that it's an in depth character study largely separate from the rest of the Marvel Universe. It's also one of my absolute favorite recent series.

For a comic sort of similar to PKDick, I'd recommend checking out Greg Rucka's Lazarus.

First thing that came to my mind when reading your post, for whatever reason, was two Jonathan Hickman books: The Red Wing and his first SHIELD story.