As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kitten eats very little food

NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
So we recently got a kitten. Shes only 9 weeks, but when we went to see her the home was a dive and we chouldnt leave her there.

We've had her about 2 weeks, and have noticed she's not eating a great deal. We've tried multiple brands of wet and cat food and she eats a few bits at most and that's it. She will eat things like chicken when given to her but that's not really good for her long term. We've tried move the bowls, using different bowls, mixing the treats she likes in with the various cat foods and she still only takes a few bites at most. She's recently had her shots and she's had put on weight in the week since but only about 50grams. She is plenty active and playful, so I'm not too concerned, but my wife is really worried. Any idea on how we can coax her to eat more?

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Take her to a vet, get a professional take on what she should eat and how much.

Don't guess or rely on non-professionals for this stuff.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Nine weeks is kind of early to be separated. Sometimes they can be weaned and socialized ok, but that's early. And if the house she was at was a "dive" before, there could be worms involved or any number of other things...

Seconding taking to a vet.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Also you can't keep switching food like that. Kittens will be picky, but you have to pick a food and encourage them. Cats in general hate change.

See a vet for sure though. You need to make sure it's not a parasite. It probably has some type of worm and will need vaccines a couple times in the first 6 months anyway.

• RayzeRayze Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Nine weeks is kind of early to be separated. Sometimes they can be weaned and socialized ok, but that's early. And if the house she was at was a "dive" before, there could be worms involved or any number of other things...

Seconding taking to a vet.

8 weeks is generally the norm when adopting out of a shelter. Since they got her at 7 weeks, it's a little early but not terrible.

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    It's also possible that she could just be a grazer. Even with their wet food, which they're very excited for, my cats don't polish off the entire portion in one go. They'll eat some and get a lot of the gravy, then come back a bit later for the rest.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Just to be clear, she has already been to the vet, and has been treated for worms just in case. The vet also expressed she might just be picking at it. Which why I stated I'm not personally worried, but my wife is finding it really hard and is super concerned so I mainly wanna just eat her worrie

• SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    You can try heating the food up to "warm living flesh" temperature. About 10-15 seconds in a microwave should do it.

Siska on
  • Edward CharetteEdward Charette Registered User regular
    Chances are she is either sick or depressed. It is a serioous matter. Would you consider canned food, which is heated abit . If this condition conotinues do consult a vet it could be due to intestinal inflamation

• JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Also you can't keep switching food like that. Kittens will be picky, but you have to pick a food and encourage them. Cats in general hate change.

This is very true. Switching food, changing and moving bowls, and generally mixing it up are not things you should do.

pick a food and put it in 1 place in 1 bowl and just wait for her to get used to the idea of getting her food there.

We took her back to the vet, she's not ill thankfully, just picky. We tried to heat it up and it worked like a dream. So hopefully she will be good from on.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    NOW PICTURES

• BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
    I suggest a 3 day forced fasting for @Norgoth as he has not provided the obligatory kitten pics even after she has started eating. Darn bruh, you should've known better! :)

i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

edited October 2016
    Ask and ye shall receive
    pnuIDlgwjpnslhHwKj

Norgoth on
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    When I first adopted my cat, she wasn't eating much in the 2-3 weeks after I adopted her either, healthy vet visits too.
    My friend who has 4 cats told me not to worry, and explained it like "Remember when you were a kid and you went to a mcdonalds with a play area, you would only eat as much as necessary to stave off starvation/your parents being mad, because you were too excited about the playpen".
    Just think of your house as the cat's brand new playpen, within time they'll be more used to/comfortable with the place and will spend more time/attention eating.

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Cats get nervous with changes. I'm glad she's eating now! She sure is cute.

• LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    Of course the image links are broken when I'm finally remember to check the thread ;_; ...

sig.gif
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Lovely wrote: »
    Of course the image links are broken when I'm finally remember to check the thread ;_; ...

Still working for me!

• LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    Ah, probably my crappy work computer computer. To alternate methods!

*uses alternate method*

Aaaw, d'aaaaaaw.

sig.gif
  • A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    I got 6-7 week old ferals. One was a little bloated and wasn't eating right. She had worms/parasites. She got meds, but I still ended up switching their soft food brand. They eat like ravenous monsters now.

• RayzeRayze Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Kathy300 wrote: »
    I had the same problem.. My cat refused to eat her regular food. Then slowly I changed her diet by giving her different food each day. Then I noticed that she likes non veg rather than bread and milk. So along with milk, I used to feed her fish and chicken. Now she's healthy as always.

Cats shouldn't have bread and milk is bad for their digestive system.

Rayze on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm not really sure what to do with that post. No one follow that advice, and take your cat to the vet, and I'm locking this cause its good and done.

This discussion has been closed.